Official Raidho/Scansonic Thread: - Page 86 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 926Likes

post #2551 of 2695 Old 08-10-2018, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Those bookshelves and stands are sexy.
I have to see and touch them. Unlike Dyn stands all Raidho and Scansonic wobble. They are designed that way. I put my D1's (when I had them) on a solid table and they sounded pretty bad. Actually horrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 2695 Old 08-10-2018, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Hmmm, interesting port design...
post #2553 of 2695 Old 08-10-2018, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Come on George...give us the inside scoop.
I like the standmount too,really futuristic looking,but are they Raidho quality,or Scansonic,or some combination??
Oh yes,can a blue collar working man afford them is the big question.

3.0-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,Cary 500.1 monoblock
2 channel-Naim Core/NDS/XPSDR/Chord Hugo TT2/Cary Cinema 12/Anthem MCA 50, excite 12’s,Teac pd-501 DSD player,Nordost QB-8.Superlumina cables,DC 1. Full Naim Fraim.NDS/XD 600.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2554 of 2695 Old 08-10-2018, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Come on George...give us the inside scoop.
I like the standmount too,really futuristic looking,but are they Raidho quality,or Scansonic,or some combination??
Oh yes,can a blue collar working man afford them is the big question.
Tony I won't have much info until Tyler gets back from Denmark. I personally hope they are a cross between the Scansonic and Raidho which for me the that means Raidho's are still better. Not ready to spend any more $$. They would have to be much better or a little better but less expensive than what I have.
post #2555 of 2695 Old 08-10-2018, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Tony I won't have much info until Tyler gets back from Denmark. I personally hope they are a cross between the Scansonic and Raidho which for me the that means Raidho's are still better. Not ready to spend any more $$. They would have to be much better or a little better but less expensive than what I have.
Yes,I would say you are pretty much set speaker wise,and amp for that matter.I would like your thoughts on that new ND 555 streamer though,even though the price is way out of reach for me.I would think Tyler would want to showcase that with the Kudos on the weekend.

2 channel-Naim Core/NDS/XPSDR/Chord Hugo TT2/Cary Cinema 12/Anthem MCA 50, excite 12’s,Teac pd-501 DSD player,Nordost QB-8.Superlumina cables,DC 1. Full Naim Fraim.NDS/XD 600.
post #2556 of 2695 Old 08-10-2018, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes,I would say you are pretty much set speaker wise,and amp for that matter.I would like your thoughts on that new ND 555 streamer though,even though the price is way out of reach for me.I would think Tyler would want to showcase that with the Kudos on the weekend.
I'm pretty sure he will. I just wished it would also rip cd's.
post #2557 of 2695 Old 08-10-2018, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he will. I just wished it would also rip cd's.
That is what the Core is for,ripping, storing,serving.

post #2558 of 2695 Old 08-11-2018, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Borresen Acustics web site is up
http://borresen-acoustics.com
Bluvette and yonson like this.
post #2559 of 2695 Old 08-11-2018, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Quote:
So all you Raid-whores jumping ship??

And I know it’s not your website, but did a 5 year old build the website? I mean you can find free web building sites that add links and allow for more info then that provided. Just saying.

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S
post #2560 of 2695 Old 08-11-2018, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
So all you Raid-whores jumping ship??

And I know it’s not your website, but did a 5 year old build the website? I mean you can find free web building sites that add links and allow for more info then that provided. Just saying.
No one is jumping ship until they hear them and see pricing. As far as the website it's the only product they have and may not have recorded specs etc yet. I think Mike just wanted to get the word out. I'm also guessing these are his entry level speakers. Time will tell.
post #2561 of 2695 Old 08-12-2018, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
The question is did Michael and Lars Jump ship? Very similar design which doesn't surprise me, will Raidho/Scansonic fade away, or is this just another line or a totally different company? Well I found my answer, very interesting....

http://www.audioshark.org/raidho-aco...hat-12340.html

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/

Last edited by Garman; 08-12-2018 at 03:41 PM.
post #2562 of 2695 Old 08-13-2018, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
The question is did Michael and Lars Jump ship? Very similar design which doesn't surprise me, will Raidho/Scansonic fade away, or is this just another line or a totally different company? Well I found my answer, very interesting....

http://www.audioshark.org/raidho-aco...hat-12340.html
Michael B was let go from Raidho because he didn't churn out speakers fast enough. Lars stayed with Mike. It took Mike 4 years to design the D4.1 for example. Mike also fought with Peter J when he came out with the .1 version of the D series to offer upgrades. Peter wanted Raidho customers just to buy the .1's. Same for the C .2 series. Peter also expected Mike to have at least 1 new design each year.
post #2563 of 2695 Old 08-13-2018, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Received my Raidho X-1s today... My first impressions in my less than ideal desk setup is just one of jaw dropping proportions. This tweeter is seriously magical, the driver is dang impressive too, best I've ever heard in my short audio journey. Unfortunately the MB-1 that I had before doesn't even come close to the X-1 in my opinion. You get 60-70% of the Raidho sound with the MB-1. But goodness can these suckers sing for such a small speaker, especially in my smaller room. I can immediately tell everyone that the Raidho tweeter is definitely better sounding than the RAAL of the Sierra 2. The Sierra 2 does still hold it's own because it's much cheaper and you get around 90% of the Raidho tweeter sound if I had to put a number on it. If I had to rank the X-1s to the speakers I've had in the past it would go from best being X-1--->B&W 805 D3--->Sierra 2/Luna--->MB-1--->Sierra 1--->B&W 685--->Jamo C91/103--->Emotiva B-1.

I will write more detailed impressions in the future when I actually get some good listening time in with the X-1s.

Schiit Yggdrasil - Schiit Jotunheim - Parasound Z Amp V3 - Raidho X-1 - SVS SB16-Ultra
post #2564 of 2695 Old 08-13-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Congrats. After first hearing Scansonic I thought they were a good value for the money. But that was after owning D1's for about a year and just trading up to D2's. If anyone asked how close do they sound to Raidho's I would say not too close at all. Back then I heard the X1 but never heard the C series until the Cx.2's were released.
post #2565 of 2695 Old 08-13-2018, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 2178
Quote:
Congrats. After first hearing Scansonic I thought they were a good value for the money. But that was after owning D1's for about a year and just trading up to D2's. If anyone asked how close do they sound to Raidho's I would say not too close at all. Back then I heard the X1 but never heard the C series until the Cx.2's were released.
Have you heard any Magicos? S1 MKII has me intrigued.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #2566 of 2695 Old 08-13-2018, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have you heard any Magicos? S1 MKII has me intrigued.
I was really impressed with the S3 MKII. Not sure if I ever heard the S1's. Otherwise IMO the A3 was extremely bass heavy. Other Magico's never got my foot tapping or head bobbing. Could have been the electronics I just don't know. At this point in time I'm not willing to give up the Ho's. Borresen Acoustics has me a bit nervous but I think these will be entry level. Just a gut feeling and I just hope so.
post #2567 of 2695 Old 08-13-2018, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 2178
Quote:
I was really impressed with the S3 MKII. Not sure if I ever heard the S1's. Otherwise IMO the A3 was extremely bass heavy. Other Magico's never got my foot tapping or head bobbing. Could have been the electronics I just don't know. At this point in time I'm not willing to give up the Ho's. Borresen Acoustics has me a bit nervous but I think these will be entry level. Just a gut feeling and I just hope so.
I'd like to own the Magico M6 one day, when I grow up.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #2568 of 2695 Old 08-13-2018, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What you aren't a big boy yet LMAO!!!
post #2569 of 2695 Old 08-13-2018, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd like to own the Magico M6 one day, when I grow up.
Then you must be ready to get out of diapers, Aaron went back to them and I'm soon to be ready to go back into them LMAO!!
post #2570 of 2695 Old 08-17-2018, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
With only 30 hrs you do have at least a couple of hundred hrs or so to go. Just remember they are only going to keep getting better.
I just recived my MB 2.5s and have only unpacked them and played for a few hours.

Going to play alot of music over the weekend to really get some more hours on them :P

So far they sound decent with my Hegel H80 but I think there are alot more to bring out of the speakers after break-in and with a better amp.
post #2571 of 2695 Old 08-17-2018, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastegg View Post
I just recived my MB 2.5s and have only unpacked them and played for a few hours.

Going to play alot of music over the weekend to really get some more hours on them :P

So far they sound decent with my Hegel H80 but I think there are alot more to bring out of the speakers after break-in and with a better amp.
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the amp until you're sure the 2.5's are broken in. First most folks don't realize it only takes less than 10W to sound be loud. That said more powerful amps usually have better power supplies and electronics in general. So even though you may be only pushing 10W you'll probably hear better control of the music because of the better components. Better power supplies will also be better to handle instantaneous peaks in the music. When I Had the Octave V110 driving D2's they sounded great until you pushed it extremely hard. Then I got the Aavik U300. The SQ was very very similar with the Aavik having a slightly lower noise floor. Push the Aavik hard and that is where it really shined.

Here is something to think about too if I didn't mention this already. Lars came to my home with a prototype Ansuz power cord. We played the D2's to the point where they 'popped'. Then he put this pc in. First I heard a lower noise floor but what shocked me and my local dealer was when we push the volume again. We could play the the same track almost twice as loud before popping. Now my pc was the Ansuz Ceramic (5400 retail). The pc Lars brought was the D-TC (20000) retail. Lars said the reason for the lower floor noise was because the D-TC circuit dithered away noise. It's the same circuit the Navy uses to clean up the noise in the ocean so they could hear a ping from up to hundreds of miles away. I guess by lowering the noise floor the Aavik could amplify more music.

Last edited by OctaDyn_Dude; 08-17-2018 at 06:25 AM.
post #2572 of 2695 Old 08-17-2018, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the amp until you're sure the 2.5's are broken in. First most folks don't realize it only takes less than 10W to sound be loud. That said more powerful amps usually have better power supplies and electronics in general. So even though you may be only pushing 10W you'll probably hear better control of the music because of the better components. Better power supplies will also be better to handle instantaneous peaks in the music. When I Had the Octave V110 driving D2's they sounded great until you pushed it extremely hard. Then I got the Aavik U300. The SQ was very very similar with the Aavik having a slightly lower noise floor. Push the Aavik hard and that is where it really shined.

Here is something to think about too. Lars came to my home with a prototype Ansuz power cord. We played the D2's to the point where they 'popped'. Then he put this pc in. First I heard a lower noise floor but what shocked me and my local dealer was when we push the volume again. We could play the the same track almost twice as loud before popping. Now my pc was the Ansuz Ceramic (5400 retail). The pc Lars brought was the D-TC (20000) retail. Lars said the reason for the lower floor noise was because the D-TC circuit dithered away noise. It's the same circuit the Navy uses to clean up the noise in the ocean so they could hear a ping from up to hundreds of miles away. I guess by lowering the noise floor the Aavik could amplify more music.
Thanks for your input

I'm not going to try another amp untill the speakers have atleast 250-300 hours on them and I got my room treated.
There is also still alot to play arround with when it comes to placement
To try another amp without geting the above sorted first would just be missleading hehe.

My preference when it comes to volume isnt that loud either. I rarely play above 45 / 100 on the volume knob with my Hegel H80, so I think the power of the Hegel is more than enough.
OctaDyn_Dude likes this.
post #2573 of 2695 Old 09-02-2018, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Borresen Acoustics

Pricing for the Borresen speakers are out. I can't seem to add spaces between the product and price. I copied it from a pdf file.

Kind of looking forward to comparing the Borresen 03 to my D3.1's. They would HAVE to be a lot better for me to consider trading in my beautiful and unique cabinets.

BØRRESEN 01 compact monitor

Walnut veneer Darkz C resonance control 01-W-C $30.000
Walnut veneer Darkz D2 resonance control 01-W-D2 $31.500
Walnut veneer Darkz D-TC resonance control 01-W-DTC $32.500
Custom colors - high gloss finish* Darkz C resonance control 01-C-C $34.000
Custom colors - high gloss finish* Darkz D2 resonance control 01-C-D2 $35.500
Custom colors - high gloss finish* Darkz D-TC resonance control 01-C-DTC $36.500
BØRRESEN monitor stand loudspeaker stand for Børresen 01 MS $5.000

BØRRESEN 02 floor standing loudspeaker

Walnut veneer Darkz C resonance control 02-W-C $45.000
Walnut veneer Darkz D2 resonance control 02-W-D2 $46.500
Walnut veneer Darkz D-TC resonance control 02-W-DTC $47.500
Custom colors - high gloss finish* Darkz C resonance control 02-C-C $50.300
Custom colors - high gloss finish* Darkz D2 resonance control 02-C-D2 $51.800
Custom colors - high gloss finish* Darkz D-TC resonance control 02-C-DTC $52.800

BØRRESEN 03 floor standing loudspeaker

Walnut veneer Darkz C resonance control 03-W-C $66.000
Walnut veneer Darkz D2 resonance control 03-W-D2 $67.500
Walnut veneer Darkz D-TC resonance control 03-W-DTC $68.500
Custom colors - high gloss finish* Darkz C resonance control 03-C-C $73.100
Custom colors - high gloss finish* Darkz D2 resonance control 03-C-D2 $74.600
Custom colors - high gloss finish* Darkz D-TC resonance control 03-C-DTC $75.600

Last edited by OctaDyn_Dude; 09-02-2018 at 06:39 AM.
post #2574 of 2695 Old 09-02-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
...I think these will be entry level. Just a gut feeling and I just hope so.
Decidedly greater than entry-level pricing
Bluvette, OctaDyn_Dude and yonson like this.

post #2575 of 2695 Old 09-02-2018, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Found this on the Shark. Hopefully I can hear them before the RMAF since Tyler will be showing them. I'm going to see Tyler today and will offer to break in the 03's

Børresen Acoustics – Better by design?

Well, the Børresen Acoustics price list may be out but the million dollar question remains – that is, what has Michael Børresen produced this time and how might it be an advance over his amazing design efforts for the Raidho and Scansonic brands?

At first glance there does not seem to be a lot differences between the Børresen Acoustics and Raidho Acoustics designs, but looks can be deceiving.

Looking at the similarities, both brands employ high resolution ribbon tweeters combined with light stiff high speed woofers. Both ranges are ported with an advanced air-flow system designed for optimal energy management and release and thereby permit the use of attractive domestically friendly cabinets of vastly smaller profile than sealed designs. Yes, both even use Ansuz for internal wiring and it’s my understanding the Raidho will continue to use Ansuz cables internally even if they have recently appeared to shun their external use at tradeshows. Finally, pricing is very similar as well with the walnut Raidho D-1.1 retailing for US$29k and the walnut Børresen Model 01 retailing for US$30k.

Photo: Artists impression of Borresen Acoustics Model 01

So what’s different?

The key difference is the drivers and more specifically the driver mechanics. The original Raidho ribbon tweeter was designed 15 years ago and it’s really what kick-started the company. At that time Raidho was not a well-known loudspeaker brand and it wasn’t until 2008 aided by the benefit of increased exposure and positive reviews of the Arya C-1.0 2-way monitor that the world really started to take notice. I remember around the same period auditioning the C-1.0 in a dealer showroom in Singapore. The dealer carried the KEF reference loudspeaker range but after auditioning the C-1.0 I was so completely besotted that I did something I’d never done before – I said I’d buy them even without asking how much they were! The C1’s were a small wonder, quite simply the most revealing speaker of pure musicianship I’d heard. The resolution was tremendous, right across the impressive frequency range and from front to back where the C1 opened deep wide soundstages.

But time marches on and other than a mild revision to the ribbon tweeter with the .1 series the foundation has essentially remained static for 15 years. Nonetheless it’s a testament to its design quality that the tweeter is still widely considered as one of the best in the world today.

Michael Børresen has designed an all new tweeter; one which he feels far surpasses his earlier effort. The new ribbon tweeter has a totally different using an even lighter membrane of revised and improved pattern, a stronger motor system and greater power handling. The speed at which the tweeter is able to track audio signals and the increase in dynamic headroom sees the introduction of tweeter side vents. While the old Raidho tweeter was also vented, it wasn’t as obviously so in the models below the D-5.1. Further an increase in the tweeters frequency response means the cross-over point to the woofer has also been reduced to further enhance integration. And speaking of the woofer it is also all new. Taking on-board market feedback and learnings during his time with Raidho the new 4.5 inch woofer is revolutionary. The new woofer has no iron and less moving weight being one of the lightest and stiffest ever made. The woofer has increased dynamic headroom and improved efficiency. In sum the overall design focus for both drivers has been on reducing dynamic compression, increasing dynamic headroom, optimizing transient response and enhancing micro resolution.

If you are looking for close up photos of the new tweeter and woofer – you won’t find any yet. The reason for this is that the innovative driver designs have been submitted for patent protection.

Michael has also further refined the airflow system. Børresen Acoustics like Raidho before it eschews massive tomb like inert resonance dead cabinets. Instead they incorporate air flow technologies which are the result of speaker cabinet airflow research where the speaker cabinets are influenced by time defined partial air reflex impulses caused by the defined interior architecture and overall shape of the cabinet – a beautifully crafted lute shape with an airflow vent port system in the rear. The air flow design reduces the need for extensive cabinet damping material in favor of system regulated mechanical damping. This the designer believes this has many advantages including reduced cabinet weight and resulting sound that is pure and a better imitation of the sound of natural musical instruments.

Finally, those of you who are presently use cable and accessories from Ansuz Acoustics will really appreciate the sonic improvements afforded by the passive and an active coil technologies used in products like the Mainz8, Ansuz D·TC and 2-series cables. When these products are employed users frequently report how stunned they are when presented with previously unheard natural micro details present in recordings which are they are familiar with. It goes without saying Børresen Audios new loudspeaker range draws heavily upon Ansuz’s most advanced Tesla Coil technologies and mechanical grounding devices as a performance differentiator between it, Raidho and other loudspeaker manufacturers.

So, will they be worth their price tag? As with all things audio I’m sure opinion will be divided. To arrive at any sensible conclusion one needs to hear them and the first public opportunity for that will be at the RMAF show in Denver, Colorado; Oct 5-7.
post #2576 of 2695 Old 09-03-2018, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Wow, wasn't expecting them to be quite that much Maybe it's the veneer that is used, however they don't look very good to me from what I've seen so far... They definitely don't look anywhere near as good as the D series they appear to be competing with.
post #2577 of 2695 Old 09-03-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
Wow, wasn't expecting them to be quite that much Maybe it's the veneer that is used, however they don't look very good to me from what I've seen so far... They definitely don't look anywhere near as good as the D series they appear to be competing with.
Tyler said the finish is great looking in person. The tweeter vents are mahogany with the cabinet being walnut. He got back from Denmark last weekend. I will say though I think my Walnut Burl is unique enough to be the best I've ever seen. Even Aaron commented they are nice but not the Walnut he prefers. To me that is a huge compliment considering what he thinks of Raid-Whores What will be interesting when he gets them I will compare the 2 brands side by side. I asked if I could break in the B03's when he gets them. He did say yes BUT he may a few clients who may want to hear them right away.
Bluvette and yonson like this.
post #2578 of 2695 Old 09-05-2018, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tyler said the finish is great looking in person. The tweeter vents are mahogany with the cabinet being walnut. He got back from Denmark last weekend. I will say though I think my Walnut Burl is unique enough to be the best I've ever seen. Even Aaron commented they are nice but not the Walnut he prefers. To me that is a huge compliment considering what he thinks of Raid-Whores What will be interesting when he gets them I will compare the 2 brands side by side. I asked if I could break in the B03's when he gets them. He did say yes BUT he may a few clients who may want to hear them right away.
Hi George
Do you know if Borrenson plans on making something equivalent/similar to the Raidho XT 1s?You know,something I might be able to afford
Bluvette(John)...Can you comment on your Ansuz gear here?Are we safe here?
I appreciate any info you can give,since we have owned similar gear (SN2,N272/250DR) and the Qb8.
I have already heard from Jnelson,via. PM,he really seems to like what it does,but he uses Hegel.Have you heard the Ansuz power,cables with Naim yet?

post #2579 of 2695 Old 09-06-2018, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi George
Do you know if Borrenson plans on making something equivalent/similar to the Raidho XT 1s?You know,something I might be able to afford
Bluvette(John)...Can you comment on your Ansuz gear here?Are we safe here?
I appreciate any info you can give,since we have owned similar gear (SN2,N272/250DR) and the Qb8.
I have already heard from Jnelson,via. PM,he really seems to like what it does,but he uses Hegel.Have you heard the Ansuz power,cables with Naim yet?
Hey Tony I haven't heard of any other rumors about any more reasonable priced speakers. But who knows?? That said when Mike Borresen demoed his Mainz D-TC power distribution at NextLevel I asked Mike if he was going to design some less expensive Mainz and his answer was NO. I was considering the D3.1's at that time and after hearing the Mainz D-TC and hearing the 23K retail window sticker I had to make a decision between one or the other. So I chose the Mainz. Well it wasn't that long after Ansuz announced the A2 C2 D2 Mainz units. The rumor was Mike was going to release his new speakers for Axpona which is why I held off from the 3.1's. Well Axpona came and Tyler even advertised he was going to have the Borresen Acoustic speakers. That Saturday night during Axpona Tyler had a dinner party and I asked Lars why no Borresen speakers and he replied Mike was unhappy with the cabinets and was starting over. He showed us a picture of the B01's and it had no tweeter vent. I figured after seeing how long it took Mike (when he was at Raidho) to come out with new or improved speakers it would be a year at the least to come out with his new speakers. That's when I made the decision to have an in home demo of the 3.1's (honestly I thought the 3.1's would be too much for my room). That was April. Well Tyler brought over his store demo pair and set them up. Before he left that day I asked him to place an order. He let me keep his demo 3.1's until mine arrived in May. Now Borresen Acoustics announced the new line to debut at the RMAF next month and Tyler will now have 2 rooms at RMAF. 1 for Kudos and 1 for Borresen. He will demo the X3 and Titan 505 (which he still doesn't have yet). I don't think Tyler knows which Borresen speakers he will have yet but Tyler likes doing demos with the smaller speakers. Full production will start in Oct.

Tyler told me this last weekend the Scansonic MB series is discontinued and being replaced by the MBB. MBB stands for Mike Borresen Benno (Benno Baun Melgaard is the new head of design at Raidho). Tyler isn't sure if he will carry the MBB series yet. Benno made changes to the XT5 from Mikes design and I personally didn't care for the XT5 and think the XT3 is much better. Just my personal opinion.

Tyler said he placed an order for a full Naim 500 series stack and is expecting delivery some time in Oct. He wants to properly demo the Titan 707 and 808. Aavik monos are great but pretty pricey (approx 130K + cables). Besides Naim owners are the ones who swear by Kudos.

I think John is going to have a hard time explaining the improvements because he replaced both the QB8 with the Ansuz Mainz A2 and the Naim US for the Core. I will say either is a real nice improvement but he changed both at the same time.
no quarter likes this.
post #2580 of 2695 Old 09-06-2018, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks George,sounds like anything is possible then,with regard to the speakers.We finally got some new work (18 new jobs kicked off) so I am going to take all the overtime I can get.My plan will be Axpona next year to come hear all the new speakers,as well as the Ansuz gear.I also plan on demoing the new Chord M-scaler/Hugo TT in the next few months,when my local dealer gets them.The goal will be the best possible sound in my apartment,so low volume is key.Whether that involves a combo of new speakers,Ansuz,Chord...who knows,maybe a pair of Cary tube amps to go with my Cinema 12 will satisfy me,because after listening to the Cary for several days now,I really like the sound it is giving me.I am curious if Tyler has any used D 1s ?,for some reason I think they might be my best option...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page