Official Raidho/Scansonic Thread: - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 926Likes

post #2611 of 2696 Old 11-07-2018, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaDyn_Dude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
Should be convert. You know who. You helped push it on him. 😛 If does have me wanting to demo one.

When you starting your new “job”?
I never pushed anyone to a cable. I did give my thoughts though. Not cheap but you should hear them. You might be very surprised how good everything you have may sound!!![IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

I'll start my new job when I'm ready. Most likely in Dec some time. But who knows?? I haven't had a 1 week vacation for more than 2 years. As of now it just seems like I'm on vacation. It hasn't sunk in yet [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG] !!
Only joking about the pushing part. He’s been talking about it for a while and actually has me curious about it. Congrats on the retirement and enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2696 Old 11-08-2018, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post
Congratulations again George. Good times ahead for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Only joking about the pushing part. He’s been talking about it for a while and actually has me curious about it. Congrats on the retirement and enjoy
Thanks Jeff and John.

Jeff I think John wants to know how you like the power cables and what improvements (if any) you heard. For me with Ansuz it was more blackness resulting in more clarity - imaging - control and sound stage without losing any pRat. Although once you hit the D-TC level you can't go back because your system will sound 'broken'. Not to mention how much louder your system will play if that's important (not amplifying noise).
post #2613 of 2696 Old 11-08-2018, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Thanks Jeff and John.

Jeff I think John wants to know how you like the power cables and what improvements (if any) you heard. For me with Ansuz it was more blackness resulting in more clarity - imaging - control and sound stage without losing any pRat. Although once you hit the D-TC level you can't go back because your system will sound 'broken'. Not to mention how much louder your system will play if that's important (not amplifying noise).
I originally had used a Panamax 5400EX for many years and had served me well. I recently put in a Ansuz Mainz D8 with two Series X AC 2M power cords. One from the D8 to wall and other from my Integrated to the Star port on the D8. WOW. While it is not a tonality change, as George said, it most definitely darkens the noise floor which equates to a more balanced, dynamic, open and detailed soundstage from my Dyn Contour 20s. Since then I moved up to a Ansuz A8 from the D8 and was able to reduce the floor even more (even though not as drastic from Panamax to D8).

I am a believer that you don't have to go hog wild to gain benefit. I would image that the Ansuz X8-TC with the X AC cords would make for a nice upgrade. If you can afford moving up to the A,C,D8 I would highly suggest you give it a listen. Like George said, there's no going bck once you hear the improvement and get used to its benefits.
OctaDyn_Dude likes this.

Sony XBR-65A1E, XBR-55A1E, Marantz AV8805, AV7704
Naim SN3, Hi-Cap DR, NDX2, Naim Unity Core, Emotiva XPA-9, A-5175
Dynaudio Contour 30, Focus 210C, IC17, S4-W80, Evoke 10, 2X REL S/812, SVS SB-2000
Panasonic UBD-820, Bluesound Node 2i, Ansuz Mainz D2 Power Distribution,A2 and X Power and speaker cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2614 of 2696 Old 11-08-2018, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post
Quote:
Thanks Jeff and John.

I originally had used a Panamax 5400EX for many years and had served me well. I recently put in a Ansuz Mainz D8 with two Series X AC 2M power cords. One from the D8 to wall and other from my Integrated to the Star port on the D8. WOW. While it is not a tonality change, as George said, it most definitely darkens the noise floor which equates to a more balanced, dynamic, open and detailed soundstage from my Dyn Contour 20s. Since then I moved up to a Ansuz A8 from the D8 and was able to reduce the floor even more (even though not as drastic from Panamax to D8).

I am a believer that you don't have to go hog wild to gain benefit. I would image that the Ansuz X8-TC with the X AC cords would make for a nice upgrade. If you can afford moving up to the A,C,D8 I would highly suggest you give it a listen. Like George said, there's no going bck once you hear the improvement and get used to its benefits.
Do you use a Naim SN2 with Ansuz?
post #2615 of 2696 Old 11-08-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Do you use a Naim SN2 with Ansuz?

I do now, yes. I sold my Hegel 190 and replaced it with a SuperNait 2. Smart choice from my standpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-65A1E, XBR-55A1E, Marantz AV8805, AV7704
Naim SN3, Hi-Cap DR, NDX2, Naim Unity Core, Emotiva XPA-9, A-5175
Dynaudio Contour 30, Focus 210C, IC17, S4-W80, Evoke 10, 2X REL S/812, SVS SB-2000
Panasonic UBD-820, Bluesound Node 2i, Ansuz Mainz D2 Power Distribution,A2 and X Power and speaker cables
post #2616 of 2696 Old 12-24-2018, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Merry Christmas to all
post #2617 of 2696 Old 12-24-2018, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Merry Christmas George!
post #2618 of 2696 Old 12-24-2018, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Merry Christmas
post #2619 of 2696 Old 12-25-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Chris and John
post #2620 of 2696 Old 01-03-2019, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone on here own or have listened to the Scansonic MK-5's? I am looking for new bookshelf speakers in my 2.1 system and was recommended these by a friend of mine. He just ordered them as well, and hasn't heard them yet either. He lives a couple hours away from me, so it will be hard for me to get a good listen.

I get listener fatigue quite easily, and I am intrigued by the ribbon tweeter. These will be in a small/medium room with a subwoofer handling the bass, and used for mainly music. I am currently trying B&W 606, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 and Kef Q150's in my setup. Currently leaning toward the B&W, but the Kef's have not arrived yet.

Thanks in advance!

Kirk
post #2621 of 2696 Old 01-04-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kirk I wish I knew but my dealer doesn't carry anything less than the MB line. A friend of mine just got a pair and until then I didn't know that line existed. He said they are very good for the money.
post #2622 of 2696 Old 01-05-2019, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Kirk I wish I knew but my dealer doesn't carry anything less than the MB line. A friend of mine just got a pair and until then I didn't know that line existed. He said they are very good for the money.
Awesome! Did he happen to share any characteristics about them?

Kirk
post #2623 of 2696 Old 01-06-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 545
I finally heard my first Raidho a bit by accident yesterday. I popped into my dealer and a customer was auditioning the little XT-1.

Holly mother of God. This was the best sound I think I’ve ever heard. I absolutely love them. The clarity and detail was beyond reproach. Seriously my gosh.

Most speakers at the shop I visit have to be moved into place and hooked up. Never asked for a Raidho listen as the prices are so intense. If I were doing a music only set-up those XT1s would be mine but I’m combined HT.

I think there is a LCR that can be used for a center for $15k or something like that

Really a new fan if I ever become insanely wealthy. That XT-1 could keep me up at night thinking about it. Love it!

I take it Scansonic is not even in the ballpark?
OctaDyn_Dude and no quarter like this.

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; 01-06-2019 at 03:31 PM.
post #2624 of 2696 Old 01-06-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
I finally heard my first Raidho a bit by accident yesterday. I popped into my dealer and a customer was auditioning the little XT-1.

Holly mother of God. This was the best sound I think I’ve ever heard. I absolutely love them. The clarity and detail was beyond reproach. Seriously my gosh.

Most speakers at the shop I visit have to be moved into place and hooked up. Never asked for a Raidho listen as the prices are so intense. If I were doing a music only set-up those XT1s would be mine but I’m combined HT.

I think there is a LCR that can be used for a center for $15k or something like that

Really a new fan if I ever become insanely wealthy. That XT-1 could keep me up at night thinking about it. Love it!

For $8400 the XT-1 with stands aren’t that expensive in comparison to many other high-end speakers.

Scansonics tweeter is close in performance, the bass is a little boomy, not as tight sounding.
post #2625 of 2696 Old 01-06-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah yeah I know it sounds like your iPad but you can really pick up on the clarity.

I am so tempted to grab a pair and just run a 4.1 set-up. I already have the Simaudio mono amps. The audition was all Simaudio stack. Was amazing.

Maybe add a second JL Audio F12v2 sub and screw a center. I like these more than my prior KEF Reference Monitor.

I’m afraid to hear their next level up offerings.

For those browsing not familiar with the sound you can sort of pick up on the clarity. In person with that Simaudio stack

post #2626 of 2696 Old 01-06-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
For $8400 the XT-1 with stands aren’t that expensive in comparison to many other high-end speakers.

Scansonics tweeter is close in performance, the bass is a little boomy, not as tight sounding.
Agreed and I love them especially if I’m not worrying about a center.

I also tracked down another first listen to Aerial Acoustics and I tell that is another down to earth possibility. Another brand my first listen. Really damn nice.

But those little Raidho XT-1 sort of stole my heart for a price within consideration.
post #2627 of 2696 Old 01-06-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agreed and I love them especially if I’m not worrying about a center.

I also tracked down another first listen to Aerial Acoustics and I tell that is another down to earth possibility. Another brand my first listen. Really damn nice.

But those little Raidho XT-1 sort of stole my heart for a price within consideration.
My favorite Aerial speaker is the 6T. Great balance.

You should be able to get a discount on Raidho speakers
post #2628 of 2696 Old 01-06-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Scansonic isn't even close especially in the mids. If you think the XT-1 is good you should hear the XT-2 and 3. XT-5 not so much IMO. Then there is the Raidho D series. Even more refined with many more layers of resolution. But none of those even hold a candle to the new Borresen speakers. Just did a demo today of the Borresen 02 vs the 03. Hate to say it but the XT-1's will sound very muffled compared to the 03's. The clarity and detail of the 03's is a lot better than my D3.1's. Currently there are only 3 pair of Borresen speakers in the USA and all three (the 01-02-03) are at my dealers shop.

Now that you heard them how did your dealer have the XT-1's positioned? Scansonics - Raidho and Borresen are very picky in placement. At the shop Tyler has them about 11' apart toed in pointing to your shoulders. That seems to be ideal. My 3.1's are now 9' apart but sounded pretty OK at 7 1/2 '. IMO that is the only downside to those speakers.

A side note about specs: Last week I was able to compare a Borresen 03 and a Raidho D3.1 in the same system. Since the 03's are rated at 89db and the 3.1 at 90db I thought it would close regarding loudness. Turns out the 03 is at least twice as loud. So much for specs!!

BTW your reaction was the same as mine when I first heard the original Raidho D1's.

Last edited by OctaDyn_Dude; 01-06-2019 at 08:34 PM.
post #2629 of 2696 Old 01-06-2019, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m sure the XT-2 and other ranges are incredible but way out reach for me. I think the XT-2 is a tick under $20k.

I most certainly will go back maybe this next weekend. It wasn’t my audition so I just stood back and listened. They were also quite busy and not the best day for a walk in audition.

I’m sure you are correct but I heard nothing muddy or veiled with the Xt-1. They are incredibly fun to listen to. There is a mid range sweetness I find totally addicting. I want to hear them again.

I’ve had a couple of great monitors in my life. They’ve been fantastic but I would not rule out a touch of butter on my pancakes this next time. I don’t necessarily require a monitor that could be used in a recording studio. I don’t want to analyze the music or concert. I want to be engaged to the point of getting out of my chair and just loving the sound without obsessing over what the artist intended me to hear and totally focusing on every note. I think I lost the fun factor again the few months.

These XT-1s might just give that. We will see but I loved the sound. But yeah, I’m a new fan for sure.

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; 01-07-2019 at 12:19 AM.
post #2630 of 2696 Old 01-07-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Like I mentioned way back when I first heard the Raidho D series it was a sound I absolutely loved and the sick part was I couldn't stop thinking about that sound literally for months (which is how long it took me to jump down the rabbit hole starting with the original D1's). It was the mid range and highs that hooked me along with the fact I liked how they sounded at lower listening levels. I call it the rabbit hole because I had the Dyn C1 Sig's with a Rel B3 sub. When I traded the C1's for the D1's I thought I could get the sub to integrate properly. Once I got the lows set I didn't like what it did to the mid range. For that reason didn't use the sub but missed the lows I had from the Dyn's. Eventually a pair of lightly used pair of D2's came up for a good price. The D2's took care of my bass itch and found I really didn't even need to use the sub much even though it integrated just fine without messing with the mids. Then the Dx.1 upgrade came out and the upgrade resulted in faster transients in the mids and lows so I did the upgrade. But after hearing the D3.1/D4.1/D5.1s many times it was the mids that were so much better than the D1 or D2.1's. So I got the D3.1's for the better mids and bass so the B3 is gone.
post #2631 of 2696 Old 01-07-2019, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Like I mentioned way back when I first heard the Raidho D series it was a sound I absolutely loved and the sick part was I couldn't stop thinking about that sound literally for months (which is how long it took me to jump down the rabbit hole starting with the original D1's). It was the mid range and highs that hooked me along with the fact I liked how they sounded at lower listening levels. I call it the rabbit hole because I had the Dyn C1 Sig's with a Rel B3 sub. When I traded the C1's for the D1's I thought I could get the sub to integrate properly. Once I got the lows set I didn't like what it did to the mid range. For that reason didn't use the sub but missed the lows I had from the Dyn's. Eventually a pair of lightly used pair of D2's came up for a good price. The D2's took care of my bass itch and found I really didn't even need to use the sub much even though it integrated just fine without messing with the mids. Then the Dx.1 upgrade came out and the upgrade resulted in faster transients in the mids and lows so I did the upgrade. But after hearing the D3.1/D4.1/D5.1s many times it was the mids that were so much better than the D1 or D2.1's. So I got the D3.1's for the better mids and bass so the B3 is gone.
All these versions I wouldn’t know what to consider on the used market. I went to sleep last night thinking of those darn speakers. I made an appointment for next Wednesday as I’m not sure I can break from playoff football this weekend.

I want to hear some of my own stuff with and without sub. The guy auditioning listened to typical crap you might hear at a show. It sounded great but not my thing. I wanted to jump in and pick my own tunes from Tidal but was nice and shut my mouth and stayed in the back.

These speakers look to be made for Have a Cigar Pink Floyd. I think I’ll start there. I can audition using my own Simaudio amps. They have them. My other gear is NAD Masters and Arcam. I’ll have to see what we can do. A $17k Simaudio pre might be nice but not reflective of my own gear. We will see.

I also want to hear the step up Raidho but almost afraid how good it might be. Not in budget.
post #2632 of 2696 Old 01-08-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All these versions I wouldn’t know what to consider on the used market. I went to sleep last night thinking of those darn speakers. I made an appointment for next Wednesday as I’m not sure I can break from playoff football this weekend.

I want to hear some of my own stuff with and without sub. The guy auditioning listened to typical crap you might hear at a show. It sounded great but not my thing. I wanted to jump in and pick my own tunes from Tidal but was nice and shut my mouth and stayed in the back.

These speakers look to be made for Have a Cigar Pink Floyd. I think I’ll start there. I can audition using my own Simaudio amps. They have them. My other gear is NAD Masters and Arcam. I’ll have to see what we can do. A $17k Simaudio pre might be nice but not reflective of my own gear. We will see.

I also want to hear the step up Raidho but almost afraid how good it might be. Not in budget.
Does your dealer also carry Ansuz? I ask because because their power cords and power distribution can make a huge difference especially as you move up the chain.

As far as without the sub remember the XT-1 is rated to 80hz.
post #2633 of 2696 Old 01-18-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Were you able to make it? Did you listen to the XT-2?
post #2634 of 2696 Old 01-27-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yesterday Tyler had the official launch of the Borresen 01/02 and 03 speakers with Mike and Lars. To think I thought the Raidho D series had the best mid range detail and clarity there is. Hate to say it but the Raidho's sound muffled in comparison. The amount of 'blackness' is uncanny. The layers of resolution are like nothing I've ever heard before. The Borresen speakers are a good 4 - 5db more efficient too.
post #2635 of 2696 Old 01-27-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why are you posting about Børresen speakers in the Raidho thread?? LOL

YEA I know!
post #2636 of 2696 Old 01-27-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Why are you posting about Børresen speakers in the Raidho thread?? LOL

YEA I know!
Geez you sound like Garnet and Aaron now. The Borresen speakers blow away Raidho's in every way. There is a real good possibility that as nice as the 3.1 cabinets are they may be going for a higher SQ with the 03's. Even with no discount . I also may get a new power cable to replace my 'original' D-TC. They debuted a prototype that is IMO at least as twice as good as the original D-TC. The noise floor just craters with it. Mike Borresen let me borrow it over night. The 3.1's never sounded so good - but - still not at the level of the 03's.
jnelson2000 likes this.
post #2637 of 2696 Old 01-27-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked: 2484
Quote:
Geez you sound like Garnet and Aaron now. The Borresen speakers blow away Raidho's in every way. There is a real good possibility that as nice as the 3.1 cabinets are they may be going for a higher SQ with the 03's. Even with no discount . I also may get a new power cable to replace my 'original' D-TC. They debuted a prototype that is IMO at least as twice as good as the original D-TC. The noise floor just craters with it. Mike Borresen let me borrow it over night. The 3.1's never sounded so good - but - still not at the level of the 03's.
If your backgrounds get any blacker, we might need to notify NASA.
yonson likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #2638 of 2696 Old 01-27-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
If your backgrounds get any blacker, we might need to notify NASA.
One step ahead of you. Nasa has been notified.
post #2639 of 2696 Old 01-27-2019, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 379
I just saw you in a picture on the Next Level facebook page and was coming in to get your thoughts on them...
post #2640 of 2696 Old 01-28-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
I just saw you in a picture on the Next Level facebook page and was coming in to get your thoughts on them...
There is a lot more clarity/detail with the Borresen speakers. Highs are smoother and airier. It's a highly improved tweeter and the membrane is even lighter than Raidho by about 30% so even less mass. The woofers have a new motor structure which makes for much more efficiency. The resonate breakup frequency is about 16Khz. The dynamics and scale is amazing for a 4 1/2 driver(s). The 02 and the 03 are 2 1/2 way. I bought the Raidho D3.1's because of the mid range clarity. Like I said before the D3.1's sound muffled compared to the 03's where the 03's have so much more micro detail. The song the thrill is gone by the Archie Shepp Quartet features a sax where you can hear the the sax players breath though the sax with the 3.1's but to hear the detail though the 03's you can even hear spit crystal clear like he is right in front of you. I've never heard that much detail with such clarity from a speaker before. With that the bass is so much tighter and faster. Again I'm comparing the 3.1's to the 03's.

I started with Dynaudio C1's because I loved the mid range. When I first heard the Raidho D series they had so much more mid range detail and much airier highs. Bass is tighter but didn't dig as deep as the C1's. Now with the Borresen speakers once again even airier highs - much more mid range detail and even tighter and faster bass and they dig a little deeper.

Yes I'm very seriously considering the 03's. They are a little shorter than the 3.1's and IMO not as good looking as my 3.1's but boy do they sound fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6925.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	595.9 KB
ID:	2517384  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page