Official Raidho/Scansonic Thread: - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 926Likes

post #2671 of 2693 Old 02-07-2019, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 835
jkscherk: I lived on Artist Bay Road growing up before we moved to White Bear Lake, went to Lacrosse, WI for undergrad and UW Madison for grad school. Specialized is long gone, those guys where decent but way to snobby for Madison. University Audio is still around, still decent stuff, but not much more anymore.

I PMed you, I will be up for awhile going to fire up the HT and watch a movie. Regardless of what you do, Tyler has good stuff, he also has another brand I liked that I recently heard called Kudos Audio, not bad.

Dynaudio Confidence Platinum C2, Special 40's/KEFs and Elac 5.2s / Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, Pass Labs, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/

Last edited by Garman; 02-07-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2693 Old 02-08-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
In Madison/Middleton, the Ryan speakers I have heard several times and I was impressed every time I heard them. More natural sounding, very similar to Dynaudio sound. I had the MB-1 and their first floor stander, both very good, but when your use to a specific sound I found myself gravitating back to Dynaudio's. I am tempted to sell my S40 and get the newer Confidence 20's and call it a day, and I need to get to Tylers place to listen to a few different pairs, even the new line "Borresen" New job so now I can afford them...

All: Any suggestions on a new SUV, something mid-sized that can carry a family of 5 with comfort and I won't worry about skis and stuff getting tossed in and out... George didn't you use to work for a dealer in IT?
Sure did. Toyota Lexus and Mercedes Benz. Toyota Highlander comes to mind first (Rav 4 may be a little small) followed by Lexus Nx or Rx350. I left just before the Ux was released. They both also have hybrid models. Both those lines hold resale pretty good. Oh IMO the optional 3rd row is a joke. Benz on the other hand not so much. Kind of like Raidho hehe. Buying a Benz isn't bad but once the warranty is up the maintenance is killer.
post #2673 of 2693 Old 02-08-2019, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

George: Going to look at the Benz and Lexus, liked the VW Atlas and the Explorer Platinum. The Highlander was good but 3rd row you might be able to get a baby in the back seat, but that's it! Too bad their audio Systems are not using Dynaudio or "Borresen" speakers!

Dynaudio Confidence Platinum C2, Special 40's/KEFs and Elac 5.2s / Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, Pass Labs, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.

Last edited by Garman; 02-08-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2674 of 2693 Old 02-08-2019, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
jkscherk: You have great taste, my other pair of speakers besides my Confidence C2's are a pair of Maggie 1.7i. I had a pair of the 3.7 but didn't have the room, looking at going smaller down the road and the Confidence 20 fit the bill, depends on availability and the longer they wait to launch the the more disinterested I get. Hopefully they are well worth the wait! I hear you on disposable income, took a job that bumps me into the next tax bracket, but I have colleges to help pay for.. I use the word help, as the kiddo's need to work and know what it is like to pay stuff off. Good luck your in good hands, just remember to demo the stuff with your own music without anyone else in the room with you....

kenz5: Sturgeon Bay! My parents (Parent dad past a few months ago) she lives on BayShore Drive, my sister lives right by the Yacht Club.

Garman: Small world to say the least!!. Sturgeon Bay is just a fantastic place to live. One of the greatest places to fish, boat... My wife and I have been up here for close to 40 years and love it ( although right now its 20 below and blowing a gale outside with plenty of snow!!).

Take care, Ken
Garman likes this.
post #2675 of 2693 Old 02-08-2019, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm a big fan of the Explorer Platinum. In addition to my audio habit, cars are my next craze. Had lots of brands and absolutely veer toward German stuff, but I have to say that the Ford products really shine in their technology integration and sophistication. The Sync 3 system is really well done. My wife went from a Flex Platinum to a Grand Cherokee SRT. While she loves the raw power of the 475hp V8, she hates the infotainment system compared to the Ford. You should hold off for the 2020 models to be released later this year. The new Explorer will be available in an ST version producing 400hp. We may end up moving from the SRT to that ourselves. Agree with George on the maintenance costs of the Benz or anything German for that matter. Lexus.....meh. Kinda vanilla if you ask me. ;-)

9.2.4 || Processor: Marantz 7704 || Amps: Emotiva XPA-11 Gen3
Speakers: Seaton Catalyst 12C LCR, BA VSi 593 IW Surround-Wide, BA VSi 560 IC Tops
Subs: Seaton Submersive F2+Slave Front, Seaton Submersive HP Rear
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD, 120" wide || Projector: BenQ HT9060 + Panamorph Paladin
Sources: Nvidia Shield, Oppo 205, Roku Ultra 4K, ATT UVerse, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD
post #2676 of 2693 Old 02-08-2019, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

jkscherk: I am leaning towards the Explorer Platinum, or a loaded Limited only a few slight refinements between those two, dives better than the Atlas.. The 2020 I saw, but the back got shrunk because they went back to a rear wheel drive, so I am fine with a 2018-2019. I left you a PM, give me a call anytime I work from a home office and work in the medical/Biologic profession.

Last edited by Garman; 02-10-2019 at 09:07 PM.
post #2677 of 2693 Old 02-08-2019, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkscherk View Post
I'm a big fan of the Explorer Platinum. In addition to my audio habit, cars are my next craze. Had lots of brands and absolutely veer toward German stuff, but I have to say that the Ford products really shine in their technology integration and sophistication. The Sync 3 system is really well done. My wife went from a Flex Platinum to a Grand Cherokee SRT. While she loves the raw power of the 475hp V8, she hates the infotainment system compared to the Ford. You should hold off for the 2020 models to be released later this year. The new Explorer will be available in an ST version producing 400hp. We may end up moving from the SRT to that ourselves. Agree with George on the maintenance costs of the Benz or anything German for that matter. Lexus.....meh. Kinda vanilla if you ask me. ;-)

Garman: forgot to add that one of the best vehicles my wife and I have ever owned is the Subaru Forester. It may not be big enough for your needs but Subaru also makes a larger SUV for 2019 that may work for you. Great reliability and safety and fantastic in all kind of nasty road/weather conditions.
OctaDyn_Dude likes this.
post #2678 of 2693 Old 02-08-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
George: Going to look at the Benz and Lexus, liked the VW Atlas and the Explorer Platinum. The Highlander was good but 3rd row you might be able to get a baby in the back seat, but that's it! Too bad their audio Systems are not using Dynaudio or "Borresen" speakers!
I said the 3rd row was a joke for that reason.

Have you seen the Borresen speaker pricing?? It's like !!!!
post #2679 of 2693 Old 02-08-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz5 View Post
Garman: forgot to add that one of the best vehicles my wife and I have ever owned is the Subaru Forester. It may not be big enough for your needs but Subaru also makes a larger SUV for 2019 that may work for you. Great reliability and safety and fantastic in all kind of nasty road/weather conditions.
I am considering Subaru too but I heard Toyota will have some all wheel drive cars for 2020 (Camry and Avalon for sure and maybe Prius and Corolla too). Subaru does have the most advanced all wheel drive and are even safer than Toyota. BTW I have an 05 Toyota Avalon limited. I used to buy new cars every 3-4 years but then I met Tyler.
post #2680 of 2693 Old 02-08-2019, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

John it was pleasure meeting you today. One thing about Tyler that I have found and like is he is no pressure. It was fun demoing everything today even if you keep the Ryan's. I all too often forget what some of Tyler's speakers sound like. That's one of many the reasons I love helping him. Being retired and working with him is so much fun for me. And no I have not and have refused getting paid. I feel more like a kid in a candy shop . Another great perk is meeting people like you and many others. Rhettard included (inside joke).

Again it was a pleasure meeting you.
George
post #2681 of 2693 Old 02-09-2019, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

We had a good session at Tyler's yesterday. Listened to quite a few things and came away with a bit of an eye-opener. Went in expecting to walk out with the Scansonics. Really nice speaker but due to my specific near wall placement, they just won't work for me. However......the last thing Tyler pulled out for me to try, almost as an afterthought, was a stunner. The new-ish Focal Kanta No. 1 bookshelf. WOW! Almost the soundstage of the SS but much more tolerant of boundary interaction. They only had a few hours of playing time so I would imagine they could get even better with a couple 100 hours of tunes through them. Pretty sure those are the babies for me. I didn't dare listen to the Sopra No. 1 as I knew it could only get better and more costly! Only thing stopping me from ordering a sent of the Kantas right now was they are a bit more $ than I can swing right now. I'm saving my pennies though! :-)

Really nice meeting George and reconnecting with Tyler. He has a cool place there with lots of gear to drool over. Also refreshing to work with a dealer that doesn't try to sell you but rather lets the customer sell themselves! Thanks for the help George!!
Garman likes this.

Speakers: Seaton Catalyst 12C LCR, BA VSi 593 IW Surround-Wide, BA VSi 560 IC Tops
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD, 120" wide || Projector: BenQ HT9060 + Panamorph Paladin
Sources: Nvidia Shield, Oppo 205, Roku Ultra 4K, ATT UVerse, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD

Last edited by jkscherk; 02-09-2019 at 04:44 PM.
post #2682 of 2693 Old 02-09-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
We had a good session at Tyler's yesterday. Listened to quite a few things and came away with a bit of an eye-opener. Went in expecting to walk out with the Scansonics. Really nice speaker but due to my specific near wall placement, they just won't work for me. However......the last thing Tyler pulled out for me to try, almost as an afterthought, was a stunner. The new-ish Focal Kanta No. 1 bookshelf. WOW! Almost the soundstage of the SS but much more tolerant of boundary interaction. They only had a few hours of playing time so I would imagine they could get even better with a couple 100 hours of tunes through them. Pretty sure those are the babies for me. I didn't dare listen to the Sopra No. 1 as I knew it could only get better and more costly! Only thing stopping me from ordering a sent of the Kansas right now was they are a bit more $ than I can swing right now. I'm saving my pennies though! 🙂

Really nice meeting George and reconnecting with Tyler. He has a cool place there with lots of gear to drool over. Also refreshing to work with a dealer that doesn't try to sell you but rather lets the customer sell themselves! Thanks for the help George!!
Nice! I love the look of the Kantas. Really want to hear Kanta No. 2.
post #2683 of 2693 Old 02-09-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We had a good session at Tyler's yesterday. Listened to quite a few things and came away with a bit of an eye-opener. Went in expecting to walk out with the Scansonics. Really nice speaker but due to my specific near wall placement, they just won't work for me. However......the last thing Tyler pulled out for me to try, almost as an afterthought, was a stunner. The new-ish Focal Kanta No. 1 bookshelf. WOW! Almost the soundstage of the SS but much more tolerant of boundary interaction. They only had a few hours of playing time so I would imagine they could get even better with a couple 100 hours of tunes through them. Pretty sure those are the babies for me. I didn't dare listen to the Sopra No. 1 as I knew it could only get better and more costly! Only thing stopping me from ordering a sent of the Kantas right now was they are a bit more $ than I can swing right now. I'm saving my pennies though! :-)

Your most welcome John
Forgot to tell you I really liked the music you brought along.
post #2684 of 2693 Old 02-10-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1517 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:

John
I own the Focal Sopra 1’s (black),and love their sound.Glad to hear you liked the Kanta 1’s,What were the electronics Tyler was using to drive them?

5.0-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,excite 12's, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50,, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim Core/NDS/XPSDR/Cary Cinema 12/Anthem MCA 50,power lines,Focal Sopra 1,Teac pd-501 DSD player,Nordost QB-8.Superlumina cables,DC 1. Full Naim Fraim.NDS/XD 600.
post #2685 of 2693 Old 02-10-2019, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
John
I own the Focal Sopra 1’s (black),and love their sound.Glad to hear you liked the Kanta 1’s,What were the electronics Tyler was using to drive them?
I don't know the specific models but power and control came from Aavik amp and preamp delivering I believe 150 watts/ch Class A with a Naim NDS streamer.

post #2686 of 2693 Old 02-10-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know the specific models but power and control came from Aavik amp and preamp delivering I believe 150 watts/ch Class A with a Naim NDS streamer.
Thanks for the info,I use the NDS myself,and I figured he was either using Aavik or all Naim.

5.0-Cary audio cinema 12 , confidence centre, XD 600's,excite 12's, Cary 500.1 monoblock, anthem mca-50,, 65 inch Panasonic 3d plasma, marantz-blueray/sacd/dvd audio,Nordost Heimdall 2 cables
2 channel-Naim Core/NDS/XPSDR/Cary Cinema 12/Anthem MCA 50,power lines,Focal Sopra 1,Teac pd-501 DSD player,Nordost QB-8.Superlumina cables,DC 1. Full Naim Fraim.NDS/XD 600.
post #2687 of 2693 Old 02-10-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the info,I use the NDS myself,and I figured he was either using Aavik or all Naim.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
You getting another SN2 to use with NDS?
post #2688 of 2693 Old 02-10-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
You getting another SN2 to use with NDS?
No,my Cary Cinema 12 with Anthem amp will tie me over for a while.I need to upgrade some furniture first,then I still want to go with a Chord TT2 to drive the Sopra’s direct.If I don’t like it driving them direct (doubt it),I can still use it as a DAC between the NDS and whatever pre/amp I end up with.I also thought about getting a pair of Shiit Vidars,which I could run with the Cary,or directly off the TT2.I also want the TT2 for headphones,which I still find to be incredibly engaging with Chord DAC”s,so it will be multipurpose...which I like.Living in an apartment,you are only a long cable away from using things anywhere in here.

Last edited by no quarter; 02-10-2019 at 12:56 PM.
post #2689 of 2693 Old 02-12-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 2056
Anyone hear anything about the new Tantalum-Diamond drivers?

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #2690 of 2693 Old 02-13-2019, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Anyone hear anything about the new Tantalum-Diamond drivers?
I believe the only speaker that has the tantalum/diamond drivers is the Raidho D4.8 TD. I don't know if Raidho had them at any show in the US yet. Might have been at the RMAF but they showed the D4.1 at Axpona last year. I asked Tyler who is an authorized Raidho dealer if he was going to get a pair and he said he has to hear them first.
post #2691 of 2693 Old 04-14-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 2056
Anyone at AXPONA hear the new Raidho monitors?

Raidho Acoustics
Product Name: Raidho TD 1.2

Manufacturer: Raidho

Description: A totally new stand mount from Raidho. Only the outer dimensions remains from the D 1.1. New and improved crossover, new and improved inner cabinet and internal dampening. New and improved ribbon tweeter. New and improved magnet system and drivers.

To Learn More Click Here

Price Range: $24,000

Product Release Date: April 15, 2019

Location at AXPONA: The Big Raidho Room in The Expo Hall

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #2692 of 2693 Old 04-14-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Anyone at AXPONA hear the new Raidho monitors?
which ones? Wasn’t there I’m just curious.

Helps to read it all. Lol Wonder how they soubdxsince MB is gone and making his own speakers now.
post #2693 of 2693 Old 04-14-2019, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Click here isn't clickable....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page