Klipsch R-28F vs. Definitive BP10B - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ousooner2
  • 1 Post By zieglj01

post #1 of 13 Old 12-22-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Klipsch R-28F vs. Definitive BP10B

I'm a newbie when it comes to home audio and would like to get the group's opinion on the Klipsch R-28F and Definitive BP10B speakers. I bought the R-28F's during BestBuy's black Friday sale for $225/ea. I also picked up a set of two year old BP10B's off craigslist for $100/ea.

Which speaker is the better of the two? It's a little challenging for me to compare since Definitive doesn't publish RMS specs.

Which set of speakers should I use as my fronts? I currently have the R-28F's as my front speakers and the BP10B's as my rears.

The speakers are powered by a Yamaha RX-V675 receiver. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

R-28F specs: http://www.klipsch.com/R-28F/details
BP10B specs: http://www.definitivetech.com/products/bp10b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-22-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 179
You have both, but you're asking which is better?

...put the BP10B up front next to the other pair. Set them up as A/B---(tv,etc)----A/B and listen for a few days or a week. Whichever sounds best TO YOU in your room is what's best.
Kini62 likes this.

Currently Auditioning: Klipsch RP-150M
SOLD: EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
FOR SALE --- 1 EMP Tek/RBH Sound e1010i sub: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...al-10-sub.html
post #3 of 13 Old 12-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 138
The better speaker is the one that sounds best to you. Try them both out as fronts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-22-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ousooner. I do have both, but was curious if one clearly outshined the other performance wise? Do the rears get the same signal/power as the fronts or is that why you suggest setting them up as A/B? I tried doing my own test but it didn't seem like the rears were getting the same signal as the fronts. Thanks again, please excuse my inexperience on this subject matter!
post #5 of 13 Old 12-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyEarsDontLie View Post
Thanks ousooner. I do have both, but was curious if one clearly outshined the other performance wise? Do the rears get the same signal/power as the fronts or is that why you suggest setting them up as A/B? I tried doing my own test but it didn't seem like the rears were getting the same signal as the fronts. Thanks again, please excuse my inexperience on this subject matter!
I have the RF-28's and i like them alot...........I have not heard the bp10b's so i can't comment on them..........only you can decide since you have both in house.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-22-2014, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. In general, do bi-polar speakers sound better as fronts or rears? I'm going to take everyone's advice and hook both sets up as fronts to test.

If the Yamaha receiver only puts out 105 w per channel and the speakers have a RMS rating of 150, is it safe to say there is no risk of blowing them? Even if the Yamaha was cranked all the way to max?
post #7 of 13 Old 12-22-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2662 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:
Thanks guys. In general, do bi-polar speakers sound better as fronts or rears? I'm going to take everyone's advice and hook both sets up as fronts to test.

If the Yamaha receiver only puts out 105 w per channel and the speakers have a RMS rating of 150, is it safe to say there is no risk of blowing them? Even if the Yamaha was cranked all the way to max?
You can ruin your speakers just as easy with an under powered amp as you can over powering them.

Once your AVR starts running out of power it will start clipping causing distortion that if kept up will likely ruin your speakers.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #8 of 13 Old 12-22-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Kini, is there any way to know what a "safe" level is regarding maximum volume without damaging the speakers? I don't plan on blasting them frequently, but it would be nice to know where the "danger zone" is.

Other than having the volume too high, what other way is there to damage the speakers? You mentioned you could just as easily cause damage with an underpowered amp and I'm just curious how. Thanks!
post #9 of 13 Old 12-22-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2662 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:
Kini, is there any way to know what a "safe" level is regarding maximum volume without damaging the speakers? I don't plan on blasting them frequently, but it would be nice to know where the "danger zone" is.

Other than having the volume too high, what other way is there to damage the speakers? You mentioned you could just as easily cause damage with an underpowered amp and I'm just curious how. Thanks!
I just told you how. By running your amp beyond its limit.

You can generally hear the distortion or should be able to, especially since "your ears don't lie"

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #10 of 13 Old 12-22-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2945 Post(s)
Liked: 2846
Quote:
is there any way to know what a "safe" level is regarding maximum volume without damaging the speakers? I don't plan on blasting them frequently, but it would be nice to know where the "danger zone" is.
Distortion is what you listen for.

Also, speakers can sound strange, fuzzy and sort of out of phase.

A note about a low power amp - when you turn it up, and the volume level
does not sound louder, then turn it down.

Your receiver can drive both of them speakers to loud levels.
MyEarsDontLie likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #11 of 13 Old 12-22-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
I just told you how. By running your amp beyond its limit.

You can generally hear the distortion or should be able to, especially since "your ears don't lie"
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Distortion is what you listen for.

Also, speakers can sound strange, fuzzy and sort of out of phase.

A note about a low power amp - when you turn it up, and the volume level
does not sound louder, then turn it down.

Your receiver can drive both of them speakers to loud levels.

Thanks guys!
post #12 of 13 Old 12-22-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Why are you asking these question when you have both in hand, we are the one that should be asking you questions. Test them out and report back. I would presume the deftech to sound better based on my experience at best buy. But I don't have both in hand so what do I know.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-22-2014, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post
Why are you asking these question when you have both in hand, we are the one that should be asking you questions. Test them out and report back. I would presume the deftech to sound better based on my experience at best buy. But I don't have both in hand so what do I know.
I already addressed that but I guess you missed it. "I do have both, but was curious if one clearly outshined the other performance wise? Do the rears get the same signal/power as the fronts or is that why you suggest setting them up as A/B? I tried doing my own test but it didn't seem like the rears were getting the same signal as the fronts. Thanks again, please excuse my inexperience on this subject matter!"

I will test and report my findings. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page