Help on speaker comparison and purchase - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RFGuy_KCCO

post #1 of 14 Old 12-29-2014, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help on speaker comparison and purchase

Hi all! Been reading this site for fun for a long time now but this is my first cry for help. I am attempting to upgrade my Onkyo HTIB L/R speakers as the left one was damaged in a move and now sounds like nails on a chalkboard. I am unfortunately tied to purchasing from Best Buy as I received a lot of BB gift cards this Xmas. So the choices that don't seem terrible are the Klipsch RF 42 II, the Klipsch RB 51, Martin Logan Motion 4s, Wharfdale 10.2, Infinity Reference R162 and the Infinity p363. If I stretch my budget I may be able to go for the Polk Rti5s...but that may be a long shot. I have the Onkyo HT 9100 which came with the HT 960 receiver rated at 8 ohms. That has me slightly concerned about the Infinties as I read that their actual ohm rating might be 4 instead of the marketed 8. I am unable to demo any of these speakers as I am overseas and not close to any stores that carry these brands. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I will probably have these speakers for the next decade. Oh and my budget is $600. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-30-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 524
IMO, never ever buy speakers without listening to them. Everyone has different tastes - what you prefer may be different from what others prefer. I would buy when you're in a better position to listen first. In your own words, you want speakers you'll be happy with for a decade!
post #3 of 14 Old 12-30-2014, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3294 Post(s)
Liked: 3190
Speaker preference and choice is up to you - not concerned about your receiver
driving the Infinity speakers.

However for me - I would lean towards the Wharfedale and Infinity Reference
speakers. I would put them on a short list.

Your call

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-01-2015, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, I appreciate it! Bill, I would love to demo before purchase and definitely agree with you but the closest demo stores are a plane ride away...probably won't get close to one for another year or so. Not sure I can live with the crackling that long and any of these speakers is an upgrade to the ones that came with the system. Plus I can always return within the 30 day period right? (For a small fee ofcourse) Zieg, thanks for helping me narrow it down. Will take a closer look at those choices. Happy new year!
post #5 of 14 Old 01-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I'd strongly encourage you to try the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers...BB carries them and the FS52 towers are widely considered in pro reviews to be the best speakers you can get under $500-1000/pr

(they are $129 each normally and if you can wait for a sale they've been as cheap as $60 each)

http://www.digitaltrends.com/speaker...pk52fs-review/

Quote:
the SP-PK52FS impressed us with a level of sonic refinement and clarity unlike anything we’ve ever heard from a budget system...
The Pioneer SP-PK52FS is, by a galactic margin, the best-sounding 5.1 speaker system we’ve heard under $600

http://www.cnet.com/products/pioneer-sp-pk52fs/2/

Quote:
Sound quality: Best you'll find without spending a lot more"

http://www.audioholics.com/tower-spe...neer-sp-pk52fs

Quote:
Unapproachable fidelity from competitors at this price point...
I can comfortably say that I’ve never heard a better balanced, better sounding tower speaker for under $700/pr than these

http://hometheaterreview.com/pioneer...aker-reviewed/

Quote:
as pleased as I am with the SP-FS52s, they're not going to upset loudspeakers costing $1,000 or more per pair. But those in the sub-$1,000 range should definitely take note

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...speakers-world

Quote:
Professionally listening to and evaluating loudspeakers over the last 15 years or so.... I can comfortably say that I’ve never heard or measured a better balanced, better sounding tower speaker for under $500/pr than the Pioneer SP-FS52 speaker system
post #6 of 14 Old 01-01-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyvan View Post
Hi all! Been reading this site for fun for a long time now but this is my first cry for help. I am attempting to upgrade my Onkyo HTIB L/R speakers as the left one was damaged in a move and now sounds like nails on a chalkboard. I am unfortunately tied to purchasing from Best Buy as I received a lot of BB gift cards this Xmas. So the choices that don't seem terrible are the Klipsch RF 42 II, the Klipsch RB 51, Martin Logan Motion 4s, Wharfdale 10.2, Infinity Reference R162 and the Infinity p363. If I stretch my budget I may be able to go for the Polk Rti5s...but that may be a long shot. I have the Onkyo HT 9100 which came with the HT 960 receiver rated at 8 ohms. That has me slightly concerned about the Infinties as I read that their actual ohm rating might be 4 instead of the marketed 8. I am unable to demo any of these speakers as I am overseas and not close to any stores that carry these brands. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I will probably have these speakers for the next decade. Oh and my budget is $600. Thanks!

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being sonic perfection and 1 being absolute garbage), here is how I would rate some speakers:

Focal 706V.....................8 (excellent price right now at Music Direct; readily available in most countries)

Wharfedale 10.2..............7

Martin-Logan Motion 4......6

Infinity 162.....................4
Infinity 163.....................3 (poor)

Klipsch RF/RB..................2 (absolutely the worst)

Obviously, this is only my opinion based on my listening impressions. I expect that some people will disagree,
but I have been listening critically to a lot of speakers for 40 years or more, and I find that my opinions are not
usually much different than other experienced audio listeners and reviewers.

Last edited by commsysman; 01-01-2015 at 12:52 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-03-2015, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ratings! Read up on the focals. I like the look and the reviews were pretty good. Anyone have any ideas on the EPOS Epic 2s? They also got really good reviews and are available for $399. Only problem is they are rated at 4 ohms and I am worried that my Onkyo might not be able to drive them. It is rated at 130 w, 8 ohms 7 channels driven. but the speaker impedance is listed at 8 - 16 ohm and it already runs hot with the 8 ohm speakers. Worth the purchase/risk or should I stick to looking at the Diamonds/Focals? Thanks!
post #8 of 14 Old 01-03-2015, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being sonic perfection and 1 being absolute garbage), here is how I would rate some speakers:

Focal 706V.....................8 (excellent price right now at Music Direct; readily available in most countries)

Wharfedale 10.2..............7

Martin-Logan Motion 4......6

Infinity 162.....................4
Infinity 163.....................3 (poor)

Klipsch RF/RB..................2 (absolutely the worst)

Obviously, this is only my opinion based on my listening impressions. I expect that some people will disagree,
but I have been listening critically to a lot of speakers for 40 years or more, and I find that my opinions are not
usually much different than other experienced audio listeners and reviewers.
Take this advice with a huge grain of salt. No effing way I would rate the Klipsch speakers that low, nor would any other people. Certainly not lower than those Infinity's. That is just crazy talk.

Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Denon AVR-4520ci / OPPO BDP-103D
DTV HR24-100 / Apple TV (gen3) / Roku Stick / HTPC / Panamax M5400-PM
Rythmik FV15HP's (2) / Klipsch RF-82 ii (L&R) / RC-62 ii (C) / RB-51 ii (FH) / RS-52 ii (SS) / RB-41 ii (SB)
post #9 of 14 Old 01-03-2015, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3294 Post(s)
Liked: 3190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyvan View Post
Thanks for the ratings! Read up on the focals. I like the look and the reviews were pretty good. Anyone have any ideas on the EPOS Epic 2s? They also got really good reviews and are available for $399. Only problem is they are rated at 4 ohms and I am worried that my Onkyo might not be able to drive them. It is rated at 130 w, 8 ohms 7 channels driven. but the speaker impedance is listed at 8 - 16 ohm and it already runs hot with the 8 ohm speakers. Worth the purchase/risk or should I stick to looking at the Diamonds/Focals? Thanks!
I think that I would hold off on the Epos for now, due to a hot running receiver.

----------------
Who AM I
post #10 of 14 Old 01-04-2015, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys appreciate all the help. Decided to go with the Wharfedales. Just seemed to be right in the wheelhouse for me after reading all of the reviews and the advice here. Will post my thoughts about their performance when I receive them and have had a chance to break em in. Really would have loved to pull the trigger on the Epos but I think you are right Zieg, better safe than sorry. Regardless of any choice I made I am sure that any of these choices would probably have sounded better than the stock speakers.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-04-2015, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2346 Post(s)
Liked: 3479
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFGuy_KCCO View Post
Take this advice with a huge grain of salt. No effing way I would rate the Klipsch speakers that low, nor would any other people. Certainly not lower than those Infinity's. That is just crazy talk.

That depend
I don't like the sound of Klipsch either, and find there cabinet are more than desirable for quality construction.

I do not bash the Klipsch brand since some Love them, but it is not for everyone.

Peace

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 01-04-2015 at 09:36 PM.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-04-2015, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
That depend
I don't like the sound of Klipsch either, and find there cabinet are more than desirable for quality construction.

I do not bash the Klipsch brand since some Love them, but it is not for everyone.

Peace

Ray
Good point. Everyone has different tastes. Speakers that sound great to me, may sound terrible to another.
darthray likes this.

Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Denon AVR-4520ci / OPPO BDP-103D
DTV HR24-100 / Apple TV (gen3) / Roku Stick / HTPC / Panamax M5400-PM
Rythmik FV15HP's (2) / Klipsch RF-82 ii (L&R) / RC-62 ii (C) / RB-51 ii (FH) / RS-52 ii (SS) / RB-41 ii (SB)
post #13 of 14 Old 01-05-2015, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2346 Post(s)
Liked: 3479
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFGuy_KCCO View Post
Good point. Everyone has different tastes. Speakers that sound great to me, may sound terrible to another.

That's right.
As long you are Happy with your sound and other members are happy with theirs, it is all that matter
Someone to enjoy their system for themselves and not to please the others.

We are all good Buddy, we just have different preference.

Happy Listening

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 01-05-2015 at 07:55 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-23-2015, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Finally received the wharfedale's yesterday afternoon. First impressions: beautiful speakers, I ordered the rosewood and am not disappointed. They came with a bit of shipping damage to the bottom back edge but based on me being overseas and these being shipped from the States it isn't anything major...doesn't affect the sound and you can't see it while it is on the speaker stands. They are also bigger than I thought they would be, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Sound: right out of the box and without calibration I thought they were a bass heavy and seemed to overpower the mids a bit, but the sound was full and rich. The soundfield was wider than I am used to and the imaging was really nice. Seamless and I had to check my center to make sure it wasn't playing in stereo mode. This morning I calibrated the system. Came out a littles bass heavy again so I dialed back the bass and it sounds wonderful. I think the hours I have been running it have helped smooth everything out as well. Bass is no longer boomier than I like, it is nice and tight, and these speakers can play low...a lot lower than I imagined when I ordered them. I love good mids and the mids are detailed and vocals really stand out, in a good way. The treble is detailed but I wouldn't say that it gives you those airy detailed trebles that I have heard audiophiles rave about. The speaker still seems to be smoothing out as I play it though so perhaps that will all change. Watched one movie with these and as far as that goes these speakers improved my system. Dialogue seemed to be clearer and the sound filed was more immersive.

So far very happy with my purchase, bottom line these speakers are gorgeous and have improved my system immensely already. To sum up, out of the box the bass was boomy but after calibration and about 10 hours of constant use everything has smoothed out and sounds great. Btw I was also slightly worried about driving these speakers with the Ht-960 as the receiver is only rated at 8 ohms and the speakers are 6. I have had no problems whatsoever, the reciever is driving them and the volume does not need to be turned up more than a tick or two than I needed to previously. All in all I think these speakers are well worth the price paid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
advice , comparison , infinity p363 , Klipsch , wharfedale diamond 10.2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page