Speaker advice for dedicated home theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Quill

post #1 of 4 Old 01-10-2015, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Speaker advice for dedicated home theater

Hi all,

So many decisions to make for the dedicated home theater room, but next up are speakers.

Room is 17'10" by 12'4. Screen will go on a 12'4 wall with the riser on the back of the other 12'4 wall. Door is by screen on one 17'10 wall. on the ceiling there are 6 trays in the ceiling, so the outside perimeter of the room has a 12" soffit.

Originally I wanted 7.1 setup but then atmos came out...adding a set or two of in ceiling speakers. I currently have in house a Marantz SR 7009 and a Yamama 3040 to compare (both supporting atmos).

Question1: Is 11 speakers too darn much in this space? Its not a big room! Cool factor is one thing, wasting money is not.

Question2: I'm concerned about putting speakers 60" high (i think the standard) on the side walls near the front row as they will stick out into the walkway on the sides of the chairs leading up to stairs (which will only be 24 or 30 inches). Would you even put wall mounted speakers on the side b/c of this? Raise them up higher so people don't bump into when walking to back row? Or would you put in wall (ceiling) speakers in the soffits surround the room (so 4 in soffits...two for the rears and two for the sides)....and then the other 4 in the trays in the ceiling for atmos? I could get pivoting tweeters.

Note: The L/C/R will be floorstanding b&W's.

Thoughts and advice greatly appreciated!

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-10-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 2104
I guess the required questions are, what is you budget, what were your subwoofer thoughts, and now far is your seating from the speakers?
Since you have a couple 2000 dollar receiver, conventional wisdom is you spend 2-3 times the cost of your AV R on Speaker/sub- so let say a budget of 5000. Since you already have your L/C/R, let assume a 2-3000 dollar budget for the rest.
Good subs don't come cheap- Maybe two SB2000 subs, those will be 800/per or two Outlaw Ultras X12 for 1,198 for the two. Rythmic, HSU, PSA also make good subs that don't break the bank...
For side surround, sounds like you either need a narrow speaker or "in walls". I don't have much experience with either, so I will let others comment.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #3 of 4 Old 01-10-2015, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I guess the required questions are, what is you budget, what were your subwoofer thoughts, and now far is your seating from the speakers?
Since you have a couple 2000 dollar receiver, conventional wisdom is you spend 2-3 times the cost of your AV R on Speaker/sub- so let say a budget of 5000. Since you already have your L/C/R, let assume a 2-3000 dollar budget for the rest.
Good subs don't come cheap- Maybe two SB2000 subs, those will be 800/per or two Outlaw Ultras X12 for 1,198 for the two. Rythmic, HSU, PSA also make good subs that don't break the bank...
For side surround, sounds like you either need a narrow speaker or "in walls". I don't have much experience with either, so I will let others comment.
I already have two subs (a velodyne and and def tech supercube). The questions were more about # and placement of the speakers, not which ones. That being said, I don't' want to spend a ton on all these speakers, maybe 150 or so per. (give or take)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorkeith View Post
I already have two subs (a velodyne and and def tech supercube). The questions were more about # and placement of the speakers, not which ones. That being said, I don't' want to spend a ton on all these speakers, maybe 150 or so per. (give or take)
For around $300 a pair, I'd consider the klipsch speakers that best meet you budget size needs.

Also, I would wire for atmos, but leave the speaker purchases for a while. A room that size will have plenty of immersive sound with 7.1.

Q
darthray and gatorkeith like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page