$2,000 to spend on home audio, best bang for buck, opinions? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #31 of 58 Old 01-19-2015, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
Audio stores generally don't carry subs that are anything like the Rythmik or Hsu designs. The closest thing they might have which will give you a taste of the output and extension those subs have are maybe the Paradigm Sub One or Sub Two, Velodyne DD18, or perhaps the ML Balanced Force 212. Those subs will be around four or five thousand dollars each. They will be more feature rich and look nicer, naturally, but in terms of output they won't have much of an edge over the Hsu or Rythmik subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 01-19-2015, 11:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Dual V-15's from Reaction Audio for $1399 might be a good option for a room that size. It measures around 4dB down from the measured numbers from the PV15x that was just recently reviewed at data-bass.com.
post #33 of 58 Old 01-20-2015, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Bluewizzard mentioned something that caught my eye. About spending $1,000 or more on a receiver. That couldn't be farther from the truth. I saw a quote from someone. Some might recognize it. It was the answer to the question of what you would do with $3,000? The answer was "$2,700 in Paradigm speakers and a $300 Pioneer receiver" The point is, spend the money on the speakers. These are the "voice" of the system. Granted, you can get more goodies on a more expensive receiver but wattage wise, you are not gaining much. (90 wpc to 140 wpc "advertised")
Greenwood Ave likes this.

Sounds good!

AVR: Denon 1913
L/R: Polk RTiA1
Center: Polk CSi3
Sub: Polk PSW505
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 58 Old 01-20-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2039 Post(s)
Liked: 2888
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieSpeed View Post
I understand it's a lot of space and open floor plan, but I hope you all understand I'm trying to have a subwoofer that sounds amazing with movies & music that's loud enough for the house without disturbing my neighbors and having them complain lol especially since they're only 50 feet away. So I'm wondering if the Hsu VTF-15H MK2 will do just fine, especially since I don't want to spend an extra $400 on the Rythmic FV15HP.

On another note... I just thought of something. I have a high end audio store that's local. What's the best subwoofer that I can compare a VTF-15H MK2 or Rhymic FV15HP vs? They're authorized dealers, but obviously won't carry direct internet brands. This way I can have a rough idea of how loud the woofer will sound with an open floor plan.

As for

"to have a subwoofer that sounds amazing with movies & music that's loud enough for the house without disturbing my neighbors"

Good news and bad news.
The bad, is bass travel a lot, just like it see all the space to field by the sound.
The good, is your neighbors is 50ft away, that is a good distance, mine is about 15.

As long you are not listening to something to late, you should be fine

Ray
post #35 of 58 Old 01-20-2015, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
On another note... I just thought of something. I have a high end audio store that's local. What's the best subwoofer that I can compare a VTF-15H MK2 or Rhymic FV15HP vs? They're authorized dealers, but obviously won't carry direct internet brands. This way I can have a rough idea of how loud the woofer will sound with an open floor plan.
The way I look at it, if you're listening at the store you're not really experiencing how the the sub will sound for you in your space, since below 200 Hz or so you're in some ways really listening to the room more than anything. As others have said, I think you're going to get much higher quality subwoofers and speakers from Internet direct manufacturers. I suspect you'll be happy with most or all of the those mentioned.

Personally, I'm feeling very satisfied with my barely $2000 5.2 system: Ascend CBM-170 mains, CMT-340 center, Infinity P153 surrounds, and dual SVS PB-1000 subs.

If I had to buy again, HSU is a brand for speakers and subs I'd look seriously at.

About the AVR, I'd suggest looking at the features you want and paying for those. The reasoning behind quality receivers start over X amount of money doesn't make any sense to me. Here is a excellent Denon for $250 that is basically equivalent to the $800 Marantz sr5008 I paid $850 for a couple years ago:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...irplay/1.html/
post #36 of 58 Old 01-21-2015, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Klipsch is your best bet. You don't even need subs with their bigger speakers, plus it'll sound better.
post #37 of 58 Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Go to the avs classified section, there are some smoking deals there. That room screams for gooddoc's sho package and a nice projector with some bass shakers. Build your ht system slowly, don't rush and you will get a very capable system. It took me over 2 years to complete my first system and still going.
darthray and madhuski like this.
post #38 of 58 Old 01-21-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post
Klipsch is your best bet. You don't even need subs with their bigger speakers, plus it'll sound better.
Huh???

Sounds good!

AVR: Denon 1913
L/R: Polk RTiA1
Center: Polk CSi3
Sub: Polk PSW505
post #39 of 58 Old 01-21-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post
dazed and confused...
philipbtz, karlsaudio and mdbrown like this.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....55" Oled Lg C7 55" Samsung B8500 Fald Channel Master Dvr+ Onkyo RZ900 avr Crown xls 2002 2ch amp Samsung K8500 UBR player Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Svs Satellite Surrounds Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub Bluesound Node 2I
post #40 of 58 Old 01-21-2015, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I'd start with speakers which should be the biggest part of this budget. I like klipsch, polk, and boston acoustics to name a few. Velodyne is my preferred subwoofer. As for receiver, HK and NAD are my choices.
post #41 of 58 Old 01-22-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 202
For value...this system is pretty hard to beat. Fine speakers and sub. Incidentally, shipping is free...both ways if you don't like them.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...s-5t-hybrid-hd

For a lot of reasons, it's always best to audtion speakers in your own home!
darthray likes this.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #42 of 58 Old 01-22-2015, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'll second the SVS prime speakers, and I'll also highly recommend either matching sub from them or a PSA sub. I looked and compared the HSU and Rhythmik and for me the PSA XS30SE was hands down my favorite. I bought 2 and have zero regret! They are tight, deep, controlled, and will punch you in the chest like 1988 Mike Tyson.

BenQ HT1085ST|Epson 5040UB|Silver Ticket 106'' Screen| Onkyo TX-NR3030| SVS Ultra Towers| SVS Ultra Center| SVS Ultra Surrounds| SVS Ultra Bookshelves| Def-Tech DI-8R in-ceiling speakers| PSA XS30SE subs| Buttkickers X's 4, 2 buttkicker amps| Oppo UDP-203| Darbee Darblet 5000| Monster HTS 5000 MKII| Carver 705x| PS4 w/VR|Xbox 360|Xbox One Forza Edition|Xbox w/coinops| Harmony Touch| Dell XPS 420 HTPC W/ Kodi W/12TB NAS| Seatcraft Adonis Seats| Monoprice & Sewell Direct cables|OmniMount RE42 Rack
post #43 of 58 Old 01-22-2015, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post
Go to the avs classified section, there are some smoking deals there. That room screams for gooddoc's sho package and a nice projector with some bass shakers. Build your ht system slowly, don't rush and you will get a very capable system. It took me over 2 years to complete my first system and still going.

A very good advise to the OP, for taking his time and not rushing into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
For value...this system is pretty hard to beat. Fine speakers and sub. Incidentally, shipping is free...both ways if you don't like them.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...s-5t-hybrid-hd

For a lot of reasons, it's always best to audtion speakers in your own home!

+1 for aperion.

I got the Verus Grand and love them. Very well built and sound fantastic.
But honestly, I would get a sub from someone else.
They make great speakers, but their sub are a weak point.
For the sub, I would stick to either SVS, HSU or PSA to name a few.

Ray
post #44 of 58 Old 01-22-2015, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
A very good advise to the OP, for taking his time and not rushing into it.

+1 for aperion.

I got the Verus Grand and love them. Very well built and sound fantastic.
But honestly, I would get a sub from someone else.
They make great speakers, but their sub are a weak point.
For the sub, I would stick to either SVS, HSU or PSA to name a few.

Ray
+1 back atcha. I had the impression the OP only wanted to spend two grand for an entire HT speaker system...including sub. The subs you named are a great value and I have owned multiples of HSU and SVS, as well as an Aperion. Aperion is a good sub, but not up to the clean power of the others. If the OP wants a sub on top of that financial limit...he can't go wrong with any of the three named by Ray.
darthray likes this.

MARGARITAS,
post #45 of 58 Old 01-22-2015, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
+1 back atcha. I had the impression the OP only wanted to spend two grand for an entire HT speaker system...including sub. The subs you named are a great value and I have owned multiples of HSU and SVS, as well as an Aperion. Aperion is a good sub, but not up to the clean power of the others. If the OP wants a sub on top of that financial limit...he can't go wrong with any of the three named by Ray.

Don't get me wrong, aperion should be mention more often
Their speakers are quit amazing for the money

I just, don't think that subs is there forte.
That said, I think your link was a great offering for the OP
It's all to the OP, rushing or not!

Doing every things once or taking his time.
If I was him, I would spend money on either previous offering or the aperion and money on a well reputable sub.

Just my 2 cents, and a Big thank you to mention aperion for another brand to look at.

Ray
post #46 of 58 Old 01-22-2015, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Buy used locally. You will get so much more bang for your buck.
But before you get research crazy, go to a local audio store or bestbuy and listen to klipsch, paradign, etc, every company availible to get a feel for the brands feel and sound and choose your favorites then begin the craigslist watch.
post #47 of 58 Old 01-23-2015, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 4
There's nothing for sale locally that's worth while. I just bought a Sony HW40ES for $1800 out the door from my local HiFi store as well as a 55" W800B for $800. I think I'm doing pretty good so far. I've already decided on the Hsu VTF-15H MK2 because of the price & now I'm just trying to figure out the speakers and receiver.
post #48 of 58 Old 01-23-2015, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

OP, here's a last recommendation for you ... just to muddy the waters a little bit.

Philharmonic Audio sells an inexpensive, highly modified Pioneer HT/Music setup. They're modded by a great designer and probably one of the finest guys you'll ever meet in the hobby, Dennis Murphy (Philharmonic Audio). He modded a JBL center for me once, and it went from sows ear to silk purse. Anyway, check 'em out. You can get a highly regarded and very popular 5.0 setup for under $1,000. Given your criteria, this is the way I'd go.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Also, I noted that someone here on AVS is selling a Yamaha AVR Aventage 3020. The price is pretty good and I really like the receiver. See the classified section in the forum. I don't know the seller, so whenever buying anything off the internet from an individual, chose carefully.

Much good luck in your search.

MARGARITAS,
post #49 of 58 Old 01-23-2015, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
For that price range you can (almost) build the best DIY system that exists; or certainly a very-very good one.

There are pre-cut kits that you can buy and glue together, or if you have your own router and tablesaw you can go commando.

If you are interested you can re-ask this question in this forum area and they will guide you:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/

Generally a $600 SI-18 DIY sub (aka MartySub) will beat a Velodyne DD-18 or an SVS-13 Ultra in both sheer-output and SQ.
But usually the box doesn't look as nice, especially if it's your first build. (Are you about looks or performance?)
http://stereointegrity.com/product/ht18-18-subwoofer/
The SI-18 is considered a good entry-level DIY sub, and because of it's price and performance it is the most popular go-to sure-fire option for most people. Especially for larger rooms that need higher SPL (those at or above 3000cuft.)

For speakers, 3 $390 Fusion-Sentinel-15's beat my 3 B&W Nautilus 803's in a direct comparison for movies and music. (Me having owned B&W 803's for 6 years until that point.)
The Sentinels can be ran off on any receiver because they are 8-ohms and 100db/watt, unlike my 803's which are 90db/watt and dip down to 2 or 3 ohms and thirst for big external amps.
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...ion15-kit.html
They go Louder (up to 120db), More Dynamic, have More Bass, less heat, less power draw. Pretty much everything an action movie demands.
They also have smaller bookshelf models for matching surround speakers.

This website shows various Commercial and DIY subs compared to each other, and their costs:
http://www.data-bass.com/systems

This here is a fairly popular thread for comparing AVS-Members system's to each other, you can download the spreadsheet and take a look at what the top rigs are running with these days and what their output is:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...ulf-score.html

There is lots of good and existing thread info on AVS to read into.
Pretty much at this point: all possible questions that can be asked and answered, already have been... AVS has pretty much indexed the whole AV-universe already.
This!

When buying big name speakers in a store you are paying A LOT extra for the brand, convenience and finish. I can not stress enough how much you learn and the money you save by putting some love into the hobby.

Great sound from a system is a lot more about putting time in than throwing money at it. Speakers placement, room treatment and calibration is often forgotten as well. Also the money you save from doing some DIY will give you some money to fix the room aoucustics which makes a huge difference.
post #50 of 58 Old 01-28-2015, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Welp a lot of sutff seems to be out of stock after the holidays =/ So this is where I'm at with what is in stock... what do you guys think?

RMS 2m numbers
Hsu VTF-3 MK5 @ 20-31.5 Hz = 110.3 db / @ 40-63 Hz = 118.8 db - $900 shipped
PSA XS30se @ 20-31.5 Hz = 108.5 db / @ 40-63 Hz = 120.3 db - $1250 shipped
Rythmik FV15HP @ 20-31.5 Hz = 112.7 db / @ 40-80 Hz = 119 db - $1400 shipped
post #51 of 58 Old 01-28-2015, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Welp a lot of sutff seems to be out of stock after the holidays =/ So this is where I'm at with what is in stock... what do you guys think?

RMS 2m numbers
Hsu VTF-3 MK5 @ 20-31.5 Hz = 110.3 db / @ 40-63 Hz = 118.8 db - $900 shipped
PSA XS30se @ 20-31.5 Hz = 108.5 db / @ 40-63 Hz = 120.3 db - $1250 shipped
Rythmik FV15HP @ 20-31.5 Hz = 112.7 db / @ 40-80 Hz = 119 db - $1400 shipped
A lot of this depends upon your room size and shape...but low bass generally sets up a lot of nodes resulting in peaks and valleys in frequency response. One of the best ways of defeating those is with TWO subs (likely placed in...near...opposing corners). If your budget can take the hit...then I'd suggest two Hsu's. (You'll love the clean, powerful output.) Otherwise, that Rythmik is hard to beat.

MARGARITAS,
post #52 of 58 Old 01-29-2015, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Okay so far I've bought and received the Sony KDL-55W800B, Sony VPL-HW40ES, Silver Ticket 120" Screen, Oppo BDP-103D, Costco/Abby Grand 3 Theater Seating, Chief Mount, EMP Tek R55Ti, and now I'm just deciding on my receiver and subwoofers.

I'm wondering if I should get a refurbished Denon AVR X3000 or X4000 and between single or double Hsu VTF-15H MK2 or single Rythmik FV15HP.
post #53 of 58 Old 01-29-2015, 11:26 PM

Personally I would try to make the stretch for the X4000 and double VTF3 mk5s. I think that will maximize your performance per dollar. That will give you one hell of a home theater. Also, and I don't remember if we talked about this, but I would just try one first to see how much SPL is enough for you (I am sure you could arrange the dual discount beforehand with Hsu if you buy the second one within a certain window after the first purchase). If you have neighbors, it could be that one would be as much as they could tolerate. Which is to say why get a super awesome sub system if you can not rock it due to noise complaints. You may be better served with a more modest and less expensive sub system like some VTF2 mk4s or some Rythmik LV12rs. How close are your neighbors and what kind of leeway do you have in terms of loudness?
post #54 of 58 Old 01-30-2015, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

All the homes in my subdivision are about 20 feet apart.
post #55 of 58 Old 01-30-2015, 03:26 AM

Quote:
All the homes in my subdivision are about 20 feet apart.
Ouch! How tolerant of noise is your neighbors, do you know?
post #56 of 58 Old 01-30-2015, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Personally I would try to make the stretch for the X4000 and double VTF3 mk5s. I think that will maximize your performance per dollar. That will give you one hell of a home theater. Also, and I don't remember if we talked about this, but I would just try one first to see how much SPL is enough for you (I am sure you could arrange the dual discount beforehand with Hsu if you buy the second one within a certain window after the first purchase). If you have neighbors, it could be that one would be as much as they could tolerate. Which is to say why get a super awesome sub system if you can not rock it due to noise complaints. You may be better served with a more modest and less expensive sub system like some VTF2 mk4s or some Rythmik LV12rs. How close are your neighbors and what kind of leeway do you have in terms of loudness?
Yeah this would be my choice as well. The X4000 gives you the best version of Audyssey, and can calibrate stereo subs independently. Those HSU subs are fantastic, and would really rock the room.

Fortunately they can be tuned, so you may have better success with neighbors by plugging the ports and reducing the extension.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Apple Airport Express | Topping D50 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #57 of 58 Old 01-30-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
Good advice...but...two subs, when placed in opposition, still help to reduce room nodes. You can turn them up as loud or down as quiet as you want. Personally, I think the OP has plenty of room between houses for bass roof raising.

MARGARITAS,
post #58 of 58 Old 01-30-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
I'm trying to get some opinions on what you guys think is the best home audio bang for buck to get in the $2,000 range total for a home theater system including speakers, subwoofer, and receiver? Anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500.

If you want to stretch your budget, I'd search around the classifieds and audiogon. Ymmv, of course, but I've had great success with the used market
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page