Not bought speakers for 10 years - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By kaiforce
  • 1 Post By dsrussell
  • 1 Post By bluewizard
  • 1 Post By dsrussell

post #1 of 15 Old 02-01-2015, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not bought speakers for 10 years

I put together my original home cinema setup ten years ago and was quite happy with it but recently I replaced my old Marantz receiver with a new Marantz SR 6008, mainly because the old unit was pre-HDMI.

I'm very happy with my new receiver but I'm thinking that my 10 year old speakers are letting me down. They weren't the most expensive speakers when I originally bought them. I've got a pair of Mission M73 floor standers, a Gale 20 center and Gale 3060B rears. I never got round to buying a sub and I felt the M73's were bassy enough for my needs.

So initially, I plan on replacing the Mission M73's and I'm looking at getting a pair of Q Acoustics 2050i floor standers. My usage is mainly home cinema but I've been playing a lot more music now thanks to the Marantz's "Airplay" feature. So are the 2050i's a good match with my Marantz 6008 and do they have enough bass for me to postpone buying a sub for another few years?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-01-2015, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 180
A nice sub woofer or two will totally change that home cinema in ways you can't even imagine. You are missing out on 20-50hz content and that is where it gets really exciting for movies.

If I were you, I'd hop over to the subwoofer thread, tell them the size of your space and the budget you want to spend, they will pick you out a few great choices (Alot with 45 day in home trials) and you will immediately see (and feel! ) the difference of good low end in your home cinema.

After that, if you still feel the need to change speakers, be my guest. You can probably end up buying higher quality bookshelves because you won't need frequencies below 80hz coming from your mains anymore. Win win!
dsrussell and GLBright like this.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-01-2015, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked: 2878
OP, are you from the UK?

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-01-2015, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
OP, are you from the UK?
Yes I am.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-02-2015, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
OP, are you from the UK?
Any particular reason you asked?
post #6 of 15 Old 02-02-2015, 10:19 AM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Time for a subwoofer. After that you can re-anayze your main speakers.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-02-2015, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure I understand the calls for a subwoofer. I've been quite happy without one for 10 years and now I want to get better sound quality when listening to music. My existing speakers are ok for home cinema but I think they lack clarity and detail while playing music. That's why I want to replace my mains for something with better sound quality first.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-02-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
Quote:
Originally Posted by vendee View Post
It's always good to know where people live, otherwise we waste our time recommending speakers and subs that are not available in another part of the world.

A subwoofer does a lot of things for a music system (you already know what a sub can do for movie LFE). It can also breathe new life into your current speakers. The reason is that a subwoofer will take over the demanding duties (both on speakers and amplifiers) from 80 Hz on down. Your speakers may become more alive and with less distortion. You'll get more weight and impact in those lower registers for strings and percussion instruments. If you don't believe me, go to a local store and see if you can try out a good sub in your home for a few days. Then, if you still aren't interested, no harm no foul.
vendee likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-02-2015, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked: 1512
The Mission M74 are a single 160mm bass drive floorstanding speaker.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-4605-disc...-speakers.aspx

Since you are in the UK, the best deal in a speaker right now is the Wharfedale Diamond 155 floorstanding with 2x6.5" bass drivers (2x165mm) for £199/pair, typically £499/pr -

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-11591-wha...kers-pair.aspx

These are end of line since the newer Wharfedale Diamond 200 series are now out.

Likely you would want to replace the Center speaker for the matching Wharfedale -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...OH0&gws_rd=ssl

Others are selling the Wharfedale Diamond 155 for about £380 to £400/pr.

As to the Sub, setting the AV Receiver to SMALL and diverting the bass away from the front speakers, can clean up the front speaker nicely. Without the deep bass, they are not so strained. So, there is value to having a Subwoofer beyond simply deep bass. I would guess a good Sub is going to cost between £300 and about £500.

The Diamonds are very sweet non-fatiguing speakers, well worth a look and a listen.

If you have more money, the previously £999/pr Tannoy Revolution DC6T-SE are available for between £600 and about £700/pair. That is considerably more money, but very good speakers at deep discounts -

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/tannoy-...-speakers-pair

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...y-revo-dc6t-se

http://www.superfi.co.uk/search.aspx...nnoy%20DC6T-Se

In bookshelf speakers, which will require stands, you can get deep discounts on the Wharfedale Diamond 122 which are £220 with 40hz bass response -

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-11644-wha...kers-pair.aspx

Again these are end of line and only available while supplies last.

Though there are other sources and perhaps better prices -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...jEY&gws_rd=ssl

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard
vendee likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-02-2015, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that. I'll give things some more thought but I'm still leaning towards replacing the mains because my existing Mission mains were fairly low budget when I bought them 10 year ago. They cost me 100 uk pounds which is $150. I'm not against buying a sub, its just that I feel that my mains and to some extent, my centre (also cheap) are priorities. Thanks again
post #11 of 15 Old 02-02-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked: 2878
Quote:
To keep some people from recommending products, that are only sold in the USA.

----------------
Who AM I
post #12 of 15 Old 02-02-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
Quote:
Thanks for that. I'll give things some more thought but I'm still leaning towards replacing the mains because my existing Mission mains were fairly low budget when I bought them 10 year ago. They cost me 100 uk pounds which is $150. I'm not against buying a sub, its just that I feel that my mains and to some extent, my centre (also cheap) are priorities. Thanks again
I hear you, vendee. And speaker shop you should. Take recommendations for what they are, recommendations. Go out and audition as many speakers as practical, even those above and below your budget. And take your favorite music with you. If you find a speaker or two that you like, audition them again (second auditions can surprisingly turn out much differently). This will give you a good idea on the sound signature you are looking for. Good luck!
vendee likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-02-2015, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post

(snip)

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard
Thanks for the links and advice Steve. They have been very helpful.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-03-2015, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand the calls for a subwoofer. I've been quite happy without one for 10 years and now I want to get better sound quality when listening to music. My existing speakers are ok for home cinema but I think they lack clarity and detail while playing music. That's why I want to replace my mains for something with better sound quality first.
Bassheads .... you can always count on them to recommend MORE BASS as the solution to any HT problem! Of course, they are right many times, but this may (or may not) be one of them. Since you do not currently have a sub, you do not really know what you are missing. So, it may behoove you to set up some listening sessions with bookshelf speakers w/sub or floorstanding speakers without.

Try to listen to as many speakers as you can using familiar samples of music. Once you hear the improvements in speaker design since you last bought speakers, you will be able to make a much more informed decision regarding which speaker (and which speaker configuration) is right for you.

The WhatHiFi site lists a lot of European brands, and rates them. You may want to look there to get some contenders into the ring! Then, get out there and listen.

Last edited by RayGuy; 02-03-2015 at 12:13 AM.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-03-2015, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Bassheads .... you can always count on them to recommend MORE BASS as the solution to any HT problem! Of course, they are right many times, but this may (or may not) be one of them. Since you do not currently have a sub, you do not really know what you are missing. So, it may behoove you to set up some listening sessions with bookshelf speakers w/sub or floorstanding speakers without.

Try to listen to as many speakers as you can using familiar samples of music. Once you hear the improvements in speaker design since you last bought speakers, you will be able to make a much more informed decision regarding which speaker (and which speaker configuration) is right for you.

The WhatHiFi site lists a lot of European brands, and rates them. You may want to look there to get some contenders into the ring! Then, get out there and listen.
Thanks RayGuy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page