AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   Need New Center channel to replace a Paradigm CC150 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1878521-need-new-center-channel-replace-paradigm-cc150.html)

hometheaterlove 02-03-2015 09:31 AM

Need New Center channel to replace a Paradigm CC150

So its time to find a center channel or fix my paradigm CC150 the foam has totally detached or rotted out. Not sure which.

Local home theater guys can refoam for $75. Online i can get a Athena AS-C1 for about a 100 which will match my other speakers AS-B1 all around.

I know the center needs to be the quality since it does so much. I do more movies then music but do listen to music here and there.

I saw a MTX TFE60C on sale and I want to keep the Center channel in the $100 range or less so the wife doesn't flip out. (we just got married so got be good)

AS-C1 would be a good match would it be worth it to get something like the MTX which has 6" woofers ??

Any recommendations of Centers would be great. Im looking used as i would rather have a older high end product then a new not so nice product on the lower end.

Thanks in advance!!

Transmaniacon 02-03-2015 09:39 AM

The best center choice is the one that matches your front speakers. If you can get that Athena center for $100, I'd jump on that.

hometheaterlove 02-03-2015 10:02 AM

So getting something a little bigger like the MTX is a bad idea? It's newer ans has warranty that's my only concern.

Since I barely got a year out of this paradigm.

Transmaniacon 02-03-2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometheaterlove (Post 31430689)
So getting something a little bigger like the MTX is a bad idea? It's newer ans has warranty that's my only concern.

Since I barely got a year out of this paradigm.

You are going to have mis-matched speakers, and this leads to issue with sound panning across the front. Also your receiver will lower it's output to match the fronts, so a bigger speaker isn't going to work any better. Not to mention, I have never heard of MTX speakers.

I am assuming you got the Paradigm used, generally you can go a long time before a refoam, so perhaps the speaker wasn't stored properly before you.

Another option is to get the Paradigm refoamed, and keep an eye out for some matching Paradigm fronts.

hometheaterlove 02-03-2015 11:05 AM

Thanks I'm gonna try to grab the Athena since my wife has built custom stands for the other speakers.

Very much appreciated!!!