Need New Center channel to replace a Paradigm CC150 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-03-2015, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need New Center channel to replace a Paradigm CC150

So its time to find a center channel or fix my paradigm CC150 the foam has totally detached or rotted out. Not sure which.

Local home theater guys can refoam for $75. Online i can get a Athena AS-C1 for about a 100 which will match my other speakers AS-B1 all around.

I know the center needs to be the quality since it does so much. I do more movies then music but do listen to music here and there.

I saw a MTX TFE60C on sale and I want to keep the Center channel in the $100 range or less so the wife doesn't flip out. (we just got married so got be good)

AS-C1 would be a good match would it be worth it to get something like the MTX which has 6" woofers ??

Any recommendations of Centers would be great. Im looking used as i would rather have a older high end product then a new not so nice product on the lower end.

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-03-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
The best center choice is the one that matches your front speakers. If you can get that Athena center for $100, I'd jump on that.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #3 of 5 Old 02-03-2015, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

So getting something a little bigger like the MTX is a bad idea? It's newer ans has warranty that's my only concern.

Since I barely got a year out of this paradigm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-03-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheaterlove View Post
So getting something a little bigger like the MTX is a bad idea? It's newer ans has warranty that's my only concern.

Since I barely got a year out of this paradigm.
You are going to have mis-matched speakers, and this leads to issue with sound panning across the front. Also your receiver will lower it's output to match the fronts, so a bigger speaker isn't going to work any better. Not to mention, I have never heard of MTX speakers.

I am assuming you got the Paradigm used, generally you can go a long time before a refoam, so perhaps the speaker wasn't stored properly before you.

Another option is to get the Paradigm refoamed, and keep an eye out for some matching Paradigm fronts.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #5 of 5 Old 02-03-2015, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks I'm gonna try to grab the Athena since my wife has built custom stands for the other speakers.

Very much appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Athena , center channel recommendations , Home Theater , Paradigm

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page