Need help with a quick question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help with a quick question

I currently have a Pioneer elite VSX-43 With 2 b-20 klipsch bookshelf speakers and a Klipsch subwoofer that puts out around 200-300 watts. I forget the exact name of it but I think its discontinued. I use the sound system for video games, the tv, and for casually listening at low to medium volumes.
However, I am a college student and i do use it for parties as well where the system is used at high volumes.
I'm looking to get bookshelf speakers to add more bass and louder sounds for my system mainly for parties.
I've looked into cerwin vega sl-12.

I have a few questions about them. 1. Can the 80 watt per channel power these enough? 2. Are they good speakers that can hold up to loud playing? 3. Please tell me other options that i may have for tower speakers. My budget is flexible but around 500-600 for 2 tower speakers.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 342
If you are a fan of Klipsch speakers sound why not get Klipsch RB-61ii's or Klipsch RB-81 ii's? Going with these all you will need is adding a matching center channel and you will have a 5.1 system for after college. Also with 2 sets of bookshelves can bring your more sound.

Cerwin Vega are good party speakers but after college it is hard to build a system around them.

Make sure you got a crossover set for your bookselfs around 80hz with your current speakers the RB-61's might handle a 60hz crossover. Subwoofers are better at handling bass than floorstanding speakers for the most part.

You could go with a bigger subwoofer like the PA150 http://www.premieracoustic.com/buyno...red+Subwoofers people have bought them for $300-$400
post #3 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you

So should I go looking for floor speakers or some more bookshelf speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamsdrew09 View Post
Thank you

So should I go looking for floor speakers or some more bookshelf speakers?
If Bass is your only concern go with a bigger subwoofer. Subwoofers are much better at bass. Knowing the model number of you current subwoofer would be useful.

What is the size of your room that you are trying to fill with sound?

If you just need more sound in your room I would get speakers but if you want more bass think about a different subwoofer.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 01:01 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 719
^^^^ What he said. Adding a sub will get you more bass than most any tower speaker. I have a pair of DIY sealed 12" subs that sound great with a pair of bookshelf speakers that have no volume below about 70hz. The subs take over at 80hz. They sound great to me. Better than any tower speaker I've ever owned.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Salk SongTowers - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Custom One-Off Selah Audio Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #6 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 2473
Quote:
I currently have a Pioneer elite VSX-43 With 2 b-20 klipsch bookshelf speakers and a Klipsch subwoofer that puts out around 200-300 watts. I forget the exact name of it but I think its discontinued. I use the sound system for video games, the tv, and for casually listening at low to medium volumes.
However, I am a college student and i do use it for parties as well where the system is used at high volumes.
I'm looking to get bookshelf speakers to add more bass and louder sounds for my system mainly for parties.
I've looked into cerwin vega sl-12.

I have a few questions about them. 1. Can the 80 watt per channel power these enough? 2. Are they good speakers that can hold up to loud playing? 3. Please tell me other options that i may have for tower speakers. My budget is flexible but around 500-600 for 2 tower speakers.

Thank you
You should be able to get a pair of Klipsch RF62IIs for about that. RB61II are about $450 a pair.

The BB R series speakers when on sale are a pretty good deal for the towers, but at the current close out prices for the Reference II series I would look there first.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #7 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

The room I'm Trying to fill is about the size of 1 and a half dorm rooms. I'm really looking for speakers able to hold a high volume with great sound for parties.

I would hate to spend money on a speaker and blow it so fast because it can't handle the power.

I'm happy with my sub now even if it is on the smaller side so I guess the question I'm asking is what speakers will make fill the rom with more sound. Bookshelf speakers or tower speakers?

i was looking at x12 series 2 tower and cerwin vega just because i know they can hold the high volume and have sorta a thump to them with combined with the sub i currently have.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Also the subwoofer i currently have is the klipsch sw-450
post #9 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

I'm also going to move the bookshelf speakers i currently have to mounts for surrounds on the back for when I'm watching tv in the family room or playing video games, during a party i would keep them where they are but swivel them to face a different part of the room
post #10 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

If i were to pull the trigger on cerwin vega l12 will my receiver be able to handle it with no secondary amp attached then the output of the receiver?
post #11 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Or even maybe the hb-1 k12 horn speakers as 250 RMS sounds pretty good.
That means 250watt continuous correct?
post #12 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How high do you need to turn up your amp right now for parties?

In college the room I use to party in had just a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX system and we constantly has security telling us our music was way too loud. Then I moved to a fraternity house and didn't have to worry about that stuff.

Your subwoofer peaks at 400 watts and says a continous 200 yet many companies like to lie. You want more bass you need more subwoofer.

A dorm room should have plenty of volume with just a pair of bookshelfs and a subwoofer.

Again I would suggest against the Cerwin Vega's as you will not be able to use them after college. Long term you'd be happier with a killer surround sound setup.

I would go with the Klipsch RB-61 ii's. Then run them in Multi-Stereo and you will have double the music. above 80hz. But if you want more bass get a new or another subwoofer. $600 on a subwoofer can get you an amazing one that will put your Klipsch to shame.

A better subwoofer will allow you to let receiver give more power to your Bookshelfs and will have more bass performance than the Cerwin Vega's ever could.

Last edited by crazyrob425; 02-04-2015 at 03:04 PM.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

For parties, on the receiver the volume is around the 60 mark. Im not sure how loud that is in terms of decibels. but its pretty loud to the point where you need to scream to talk depending how close you are to the speaker.

As terms of a subwoofer, I do not have the budget for another one so new speakers would be for me. Plus i would rather have a more surround set up with the sub i have since it is doing fine in the room i'm in, after college depending on the room i will most likely be buying a new subwoofer to fill the room. This sub i just got last year so I would like to get more use out of it before i try selling it or disposing of it.

In terms of a more surround system for movies and games and lots of causal listening to music, with the occasional use of parties, every other weekend or so, the tower speakers your suggesting would be good?

what other possible bookshelf speakers would be a good option as well that have a pretty good continuous wattage?

Thanks
post #14 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 432
It's funny how as you get older, perspective changes.

I have a pair (actually two) of the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. They sound fantastic and can get surprisingly loud.

That said, 'back in the day' when I was in college (you know the comments, back when it snowed 5' deep, I had to walk uphill, no boots....)

Anyways, I had a pair of LaScalas in my dorm.

To Williamsdrew.... what I'd try to do if I were you is just do some inner reflection. Do you want to maybe buy something that will last you a longgggggggggggggggg time or maybe something that you would want to upgrade later on?

I've owned my LaScalas for 35 years. Bought them new when I was 19. I updated the crossovers when they were maybe 30 years old. My cost of ownership per year, is quite low by now.

If you want something that will play with volume and able to blister your hearing from time to time, a pair of LaScalas (maybe Cornwalls too but, I'm not well versed in those, besides, the real backbone of Klipsch is getting into their fully horn loaded speakers)

I'll see if I can attach an old picture of my dorm.

Speaking from experience, in the world of Klipsch it really does get better as you go bigger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Animal.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	526649  
post #15 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

I guess now i want something that can be used for now and for a while.
so something loud enough for my use now but good enough that it can be apart of my surround sound and last me awhile

What would everyone suggest for that.

I do like the klipsch floor speakers that have been said so far, are there any cheaper speakers or bookshelf speakers that can hold up to that. or are the floor speakers that were mentioned the perfect ones for what I'm trying to do.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You could try these floor standers like the
Klipsch Synergy F-30 Premium Dual 8-Inch Floor-Standing Speaker
post #17 of 19 Old 02-04-2015, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Or even maybe the hb-1 k12 horn speakers as 250 RMS sounds pretty good.
That means 250watt continuous correct?
It doesn't much matter how much power the speakers are rated to take when you don't have the power to get there.

You're much more likely to ruin your speakers under powering them than you are over powering them.

Your AVR is rated you said at 80 watts/channel, no need to worry about speakers that can handle 250 watts unless you get an amp with more than 250 watts.

Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
post #18 of 19 Old 02-05-2015, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

What would u recommend for a good, affordable amp
post #19 of 19 Old 02-05-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What would u recommend for a good, affordable amp
Use the one you have and if it doesn't cut it then worry about getting another one.

You have to double the power in order to get a noticeable increase in volume, though a more powerful amp will have more headroom.

Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Pioneer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page