AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   Polk Monitor series ii 7.1 Setup help (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1881817-polk-monitor-series-ii-7-1-setup-help.html)

MacMacMac 02-05-2015 12:24 PM

Polk Monitor series ii 7.1 Setup help

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build my 1st HT, and after much consideration and comparing Polk/Klipsch/Paradigm and their different lines, I've decided that for my first system, I'll stay on the entry level monitor series ii speakers, and buy a really good receiver that can handle a speaker upgrade when the time comes and I really figure out what I want. The main purpose of the HT I'm building will be for watching Movies/Sporting events.

That all being said, I'm looking to do the following, any advice would be appreciated, especially when it comes to receivers.

I already have the CS2 center and Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series.
I'm looking to add Monitor 70's for Fronts, 40's for Surround, and 30's for Rear surround
Would I be better off getting 60's for surround and 40's for rear surround? Or is that just not necessary? I'm looking for a good 7.1 setup, and I may add in-ceiling speakers afterwords (worth it?)

In terms of receivers I am between:
Marantz SR5009 $899
Marantz SR7007 $899
Denon AVR-X4000 $799
Onkyo TX-NR828 $599
Harman Kardon AVR 3700 $999

I really have no clue which way to go with receivers, I just want a receiver that will have enough power to fulfill whats needed of the setup, and probably an additional zone. I know that once you're up in that range you're getting pretty much everything you would need.

Any advice would be appreciated, I'd like to keep this setup for 3-5 years and then really put some money into my next one.

Thanks

Kini62 02-05-2015 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacMacMac (Post 31505697)
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build my 1st HT, and after much consideration and comparing Polk/Klipsch/Paradigm and their different lines, I've decided that for my first system, I'll stay on the entry level monitor series ii speakers, and buy a really good receiver that can handle a speaker upgrade when the time comes and I really figure out what I want. The main purpose of the HT I'm building will be for watching Movies/Sporting events.

That all being said, I'm looking to do the following, any advice would be appreciated, especially when it comes to receivers.

I already have the CS2 center and Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series.
I'm looking to add Monitor 70's for Fronts, 40's for Surround, and 30's for Rear surround
Would I be better off getting 60's for surround and 40's for rear surround? Or is that just not necessary? I'm looking for a good 7.1 setup, and I may add in-ceiling speakers afterwords (worth it?)

In terms of receivers I am between:
Marantz SR5009 $899
Marantz SR7007 $899
Denon AVR-X4000 $799
Onkyo TX-NR828 $599
Harman Kardon AVR 3700 $999

I really have no clue which way to go with receivers, I just want a receiver that will have enough power to fulfill whats needed of the setup, and probably an additional zone. I know that once you're up in that range you're getting pretty much everything you would need.

Any advice would be appreciated, I'd like to keep this setup for 3-5 years and then really put some money into my next one.

Thanks

Power is mostly irrelevant. Not much difference between 75 and 125 watts as for volume.

Of those AVRs the Denon X4000 is probably the best choice since it has sub EQ. Other than that just pick the one that has the features you want.