Need suggestions regarding Side speaker placement for a 7.2 setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan P

post #1 of 8 Old 02-20-2015, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need suggestions regarding Side speaker placement for a 7.2 setup

Hi guys .. So I'm currently fully dedicated to completing my new and upcoming Home Theater room. The floor plan for the HT room is actually quite weird and unsymmetrical (reason: architect guided us wrong !), and this is something which is bothering me as far as Side speaker placement goes.

Have a look at the floor plan below for my HT room (in the spoiler), which has been drawn to scale:

Spoiler!

The way I see it, there are two possible positions for placement of the Side speakers:

Position A: Where the speakers are exactly on the left and right of the primary seating position.
Position B: Where the speakers are a little behind the primary seating position.

Both positions have their own pros and cons:

Position A:
+ Side speakers are equally distant from the primary seating location
- Doesn't suit back row seating because there's no Line of Sight between the right side speaker and any audience in the back row. Left side speaker barely establishes Line of Sight, which I think will be useless anyway.
- Sound waves might also bounce off the small adjacent wall, which might cause echo issues. However this might not actually occur because I'm having acoustic padding done on all walls.

Position B:
+ Direct Line of Sight between Side speakers and all audience seated in any of the two rows.
- Because of the unsymmetrical shape of the room, the right side speaker is closer to the primary seating location, and so the person seated there might feel that right side audio is stronger than the left side audio.

To help you relate to the layout, have a look at the pictures below from the actual room (please excuse the mess!) in the spoiler below. Note that I've marked the speaker positions in the pictures too, so that you relate to the floor plan shown above and understand my dilemma.

And in case it matters, 98% of the time, there will NOT be anyone seated in the back row.

So please suggest which is Side speaker arrangement will be better, A or B.

Room pictures:

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-20-2015, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 6144 Post(s)
Liked: 5366
B, definitely.

The auto-setup in your AVR will take care of the difference in distance/trim.
ShakinTiles likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-20-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
+1 Side B.

Too many cons for Side A.

What line of Focals are you using? Matching mains also? What are your subs?

------------------------------------------------
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : L/R - Statements by Jim Holtz
Surround Speakers : Klipsch RF-82II x 4 / RP-280F x 2
Subwooferage : 6 UM18/4 HT18 Subwoofer Log
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-20-2015, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 526
I'd probably be looking at bipole speakers.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-20-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
I'd probably be looking at bipole speakers.
Someone doesn't like spoilers.

post #6 of 8 Old 02-20-2015, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
+1 Side B.

Too many cons for Side A.

What line of Focals are you using? Matching mains also? What are your subs?
I bought all of the 7 focal speakers in a set last year .. The front ones are 826W, don't remember the model numbers of the rest, but the distributor said they're all from the same family ..

What other cons are there for A ? ... To be honest I'm kind of siding with option A, just because of the unsymmetrical layout of B .. I've always admired symmetry, and just simply because of this reason, I'm a bit reluctant to implement option B ... Plus, there's always the risk that the AVR might not correctly cancel out the distance offset. And in case you're siding with B because it makes Line of Sight with the people in the back row, you needn't worry because maybe like 1-2 times in a year there will be someone seated in the back row.

The AVR I currently have is Denon X4000 .. I does have Audyssey, but like I said, I don't know if it will properly cancel out the placement offset in B.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-20-2015, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 6144 Post(s)
Liked: 5366
I chose "B" because it has less reflections. Your SR in the A position would have some pretty bad reflections from that short wall, and the SL as well but not to as great an extant. That, and surrounds usually work better if they are slightly behind the MLP, and that's position B.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-20-2015, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
I bought all of the 7 focal speakers in a set last year .. The front ones are 826W, don't remember the model numbers of the rest, but the distributor said they're all from the same family ..

What other cons are there for A ? ... To be honest I'm kind of siding with option A, just because of the unsymmetrical layout of B .. I've always admired symmetry, and just simply because of this reason, I'm a bit reluctant to implement option B ... Plus, there's always the risk that the AVR might not correctly cancel out the distance offset. And in case you're siding with B because it makes Line of Sight with the people in the back row, you needn't worry because maybe like 1-2 times in a year there will be someone seated in the back row.

The AVR I currently have is Denon X4000 .. I does have Audyssey, but like I said, I don't know if it will properly cancel out the placement offset in B.
Trust me, that receiver will calibrate you room fine. You have XT32, which is a much more refined version of Audyssey. I would really shy away from Placement "A". Those corners would kill your speakers. The sound would closely relate to you talking with your head inside a large paint bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I chose "B" because it has less reflections. Your SR in the A position would have some pretty bad reflections from that short wall, and the SL as well but not to as great an extant. That, and surrounds usually work better if they are slightly behind the MLP, and that's position B.
+1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page