Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers. - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3118Likes

post #4591 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Need tall and narrow for the mains and short and wide for the center so the traditional shape of mains works best up to 24" across for the fronts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
This !

My ears agree too. I've learned through a painful and long learning process that I personally prefer accurate. Many others do so I'm not weird, at least not in this specific regard

I know met some people on these forums that have hearing loss, yet give opinions on sound, also seen others that are clearly too old to make an opinion on the top end yet do so, and finally as my last example seen people do absolutely terrible things in their set up and then make mega declarations like "omg the best ever" or "it totally sucks" when it's quite obvious to me they are idiots and their opinion quite inaccurate. I know this isn't always the most popular topic to discuss around here but don't shoot the messenger. It's important sometimes to have perspective.
Trust but verify,

I have a friend that recorded bands back in the 1970's and he is a devout "use your ears and to heck with meters etc." guy. Yes, he is a musician and KNOWS what good sound is!

I played a test tone at 10KHz and it was very loud and annoying...and he could not hear it. He was able to hear at 8KHz...and yet, he always told me my speakers lack crispness of the highs

Now, I'm 50 and my ears are better than normal as I can hear 14KHz with no problem. However, I'm fully aware that age is never to be denied and never comment on anything over 10KHz...to do so is being either in denial or a sign of ignorance. The days of hearing a flyback transformer in tube TVs ringing from across the room are gone.

Back in my 20's, I did PA setups and ALWAYS verified with test tones, out of phase signals and the like after getting the sound decent. After all, it was not about me--it was about the crowd of people so accuracy with a little extra boom and sizzle is what worked best.

Since my hearing varies depending on sleep, time of day, hydration, altitude, age, diet that week, mood and if I've had a few beers--always verify since my ears are a variable. You can't train your ears to hear something that is gone...

One of the best tests I've read about concerned DACs at Tomshardware.com. He is a PhD in engineering so wanted to do a double blind test on DACs. He tested them first with test equipment and noted one of them down 1.2dB at 100Hz. Then he grabbed a bunch of people including two audiophiles to listen to four different types between a $2K DAC down to a $2 built-in to the motherboard DAC. The audiophiles he tested their hearing at 12Hz to 17KHz and the other at 14Hz to 20KHz. The audiophile that had a $70K stereo could not tell the difference between a $2 DAC or $2K DAC even with the ability to hear 20KHz. A very valid data point that shows test equipment is more accurate and repeatable than even the best human hearing.

User reviews, "professional" reviews etc. do mean something...your hearing also means something to throw in the mix. Just be aware other people's hearing and your hearing along with the many biases humans have tend to really screw up the results. The only thing that does not have bias, hearing loss, dehydration, ego etc. is test equipment.

So if you're going to purchase high dollar 5K and up equipment, it would be a good investment to get your ears professionally cleaned and tested before attempting to gather information. No point in getting ribbon super tweeters for the 15K to 60KHz band if you can't hear past 15K...that huge cost savings will pay for the doc to clean your ears and test them. If the specs and actual tested graphs match up with what you can hear, then you have a good match.

Condoms are like speakers, everyone has a feeling of what they are comfortable with, what it should look like, additional features, the size required and ease of use. Speakers, just like condoms should have third party testing to verify they work as advertised! The engineers at Trojan don't use their professional penis to determine the durability of their product..they test it and I'm thankful they do!

Trust but verify!
post #4593 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Did you look at the link I posted?

I did but my heart is set on dual 15 mains for that extreme mid bass
I've been craving.

Would one of those match well enough to be used as a center? With the 4722

Concidering going down in screen size to go up in speaker size lol

I'm also tossing around the idea in my head about chopping the bottom woofer off of a 4722 so would fit under the screen or making something with the bare 4722 drivers and waveguide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4594 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
As a previous Yorkville u215 owner...don't do it. The 4722s and the JTRs are a superior product.

The JTR 212 (I never owned the 215 but Coach did at one point..he is also on the 4722s now..so maybe he will chime in with his thoughts) were very strong but had some attributes I personally didn't care for. Question is if the 4722s don't fit your space, are you sure the JTR 215s will? They are huge!!!!

I'm sure you've explained it before. Hell I've probibly read your thoughts on it somewhere already because I've been obsessing over this for a couple weeks now. But maybe you could give me the highlights of those attributes you didn't care for.
post #4595 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 836 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2920 Post(s)
Liked: 3626
@Madmaxz

a couple of ideas for you. side by side woofers create off axis cancellation, but if you only have one or two main seats in the room and they are in front of the center channel, a side by side arrangement could drop the horn down low enough while still allowing for the high sensitivity and output of the dual woofers (and no crossover network changes would be necessary, just new diy cabs). if you keep the port size the same and the cab volume the same, the response and tuning will be the same as the stock 4722 woofer cab.

as for getting the most of the 4722 into a narrower cab, that is going to be a bit more challenging, though not necessarily impossible.

a diy cab (again having the same port area/lengths and total cab volume), but narrower and substituting the small 90x50 1.5" waveguide in place of the big daddy.

good price here:
http://www.cheapjackaudio.com/#!prod...9-eb8a2aa6f821

to create something that kind of looks like an stx825:

but with the lower crossover point on the c.d.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stx825.png
Views:	608
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	1442114  

Listen. It's All Good.
post #4596 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxz View Post
I'm sure you've explained it before. Hell I've probibly read your thoughts on it somewhere already because I've been obsessing over this for a couple weeks now. But maybe you could give me the highlights of those attributes you didn't care for.
For the JTR 212: 1)sometimes the treble got edgy 2)lack of mid-bass...overall a very good speaker.

For the Yorkville 215: 1)treble was not articulate or detailed compared to others 2)the dispersion pattern is very tight left to right. If you move over just a few feet from the center spot in my HT room, the center dialogue started to sound "off" quickly. I noticed it more with movies and the center channel than with music but I am 99% HT so that was huge for me. On the upside it had fantastic mid-bass.
LTD02 likes this.
post #4597 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 02:39 PM

Excellent info here guys. Thank you. Lots to think about
post #4598 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Quote:
@Madmaxz

I ran phantom for awhile before going projector with the 4722s and currently run phantom with my JBL 590s downstairs. The 4722 throws a huge soundstage, so I would try it first. If you feel the need for a center then get one of the AM series as a center. If you don't want a mix match then buy these. Three of them ready to go at a really good price - link below.

JBL AM 7215-95
Man I wish I was ready to buy, cannot hardly DIY for that price using those drivers, waveguide and network.

post #4599 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
@Madmaxz

a couple of ideas for you. side by side woofers create off axis cancellation, but if you only have one or two main seats in the room and they are in front of the center channel, a side by side arrangement could drop the horn down low enough while still allowing for the high sensitivity and output of the dual woofers (and no crossover network changes would be necessary, just new diy cabs). if you keep the port size the same and the cab volume the same, the response and tuning will be the same as the stock 4722 woofer cab...........

I didn't know about the off axis cancellation caused by mounting L/F drivers beside one another. Very interesting.

Since that's the case, what about just using a single 15" L/F driver rather that two of them side by side? How much is given up by using a single 15 vs duals? Probably not too much in a home cinema environment...
post #4600 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Going with one will cause impedance miss match (XO is for dual 8 ohm srivers) and require HF to be reduced by 6 dB (could be 3 not 100% on that). If active, not very hard. With passive 4722N network more of a challenge - but if you solve I would be interested.
LTD02 likes this.

post #4601 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
For the JTR 212: 1)sometimes the treble got edgy 2)lack of mid-bass...overall a very good speaker.

For the Yorkville 215: 1)treble was not articulate or detailed compared to others 2)the dispersion pattern is very tight left to right. If you move over just a few feet from the center spot in my HT room, the center dialogue started to sound "off" quickly. I noticed it more with movies and the center channel than with music but I am 99% HT so that was huge for me. On the upside it had fantastic mid-bass.
Since early 2013, I have owned the following(in order)
1. Klipsch RF-7/RC-64........got the job done in my previous home's living room, but were out of their league in my dedicated room.
2. JTR Triple12's.....HUGE jump up in dynamics, improved mid bass, three of the same speaker.
3. JTR Noesis 212's....Minimal jump in performance over the Triple 12's, lacked the mid bass I was getting from my Triple 12's.
4. JTR Noesis 215RT/215RM combo....In my room, they were too big and still didn't give me the sound I was looking for.
5. Seaton Cat-12's.....Much more dynamic and much better mid bass over the 212's and slightly over the 215's.

CURRENT SPEAKER:
4722N's. I LOVE these speakers. They are behind the screen, but I have finally achieved the sound in my theater room I have been in search of since we moved in back in 2012. They were installed(along with my larger AT screen)last August and I have used them more since then than I did all my previous speakers combined.

Bottom line. IMO, there isn't a better sounding speaker for movie dynamics, mid bass and sound stage. Even better, the price is pretty unbeatable for what you get. I am a 100% movie guy, so I am saying this all based on that.

Good luck.
LTD02 likes this.
post #4602 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 86
@Madmaxz you should check out @notnyt setup. He is running a smaller center the 3677 I think. It isn't a double 15" but for him I think it gets the job done and I have seen rave reviews about his theater. Just something else to consider.
post #4603 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Hopefully my 4722s will be here by the end of the week. Any movie recommendations that you owners have really noticed stellar results with???
post #4604 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Going with one will cause impedance miss match (XO is for dual 8 ohm srivers) and require HF to be reduced by 6 dB (could be 3 not 100% on that). If active, not very hard. With passive 4722N network more of a challenge - but if you solve I would be interested.
I understand the XO issues and yeah, was thinking active as it's a custom build.

In light of the off axis issue that LTD02 pointed out, my question was more around the use of a single 15" being easier to implement vs side by side duals. In going with the dual arrangement, my guess is that the CTC spacing of the drivers would be an important factor in reducing off axis cancellation and you would want them quite close together.
post #4605 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You pairing these with subs?

To really hear these speakers shine, I recommend the following Blu-rays:

The Eagles: Farewell - Live From Melbourne

Chris Botti in Boston

Yes. I have 2 SI 18s in the cyclops housing designed by @LTD02 . John assures me the 4722s and my cyclops will be best friends! Thanks for the recommendations.
post #4606 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 08:43 PM

I'm considering moving some walls around to make my space a couple feet larger to accommodate the 4722's also I'm already planing the do the 2453-sl upgrade. Since I'm going to be 70/30 music / movies I from what I've read the CD upgrade is worth it. I've got it down to the 4722 L/R with AM 7215-95 C/LS/RS with a couple 8350s setup for ATMOS or 5 u215's , subs will be a 4 ported ds4s (2 nearfield end tables) and/or a GJALLARHORN coffee table.

I need to model the ds4's IB could do 4 in wall IB mounts behind my couch.

Room will be 14x16 after moving some walls.

Last edited by Madmaxz; 05-16-2016 at 08:56 PM.
post #4607 of 7396 Old 05-16-2016, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
I had looked at doing something similar before going projector and @LTD02 cautioned against dropping to a single 15 due to the xover design with the 4722. I think the AM series is the closest you will get to the 4722. As a center, it should blend very nicely with the 4722. It has the same CD so the upper end should be very close. After EQ, it should be transparent.
Does the crossover make a big difference?

@notnyt
How about replacing your 3677 center with a AM7215 ?

Last edited by Skylinestar; 05-16-2016 at 10:08 PM.
post #4608 of 7396 Old 05-17-2016, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Go with the JBL setup - yes, I am biased. You could save a bit and go with the older AM 6215 series for the surrounds/center. The 6215 have the aluminum diaphragm which might actually sound better with the upgraded SL CDs for the 4722 since those are dampened. @Wrager has heard the aluminum CDs before. He can chime in but I have read they are smoother than the Ti versions.

Link to 6215

Wow, is that a smokin' deal since these speakers new were about $2200 each! The 6215 is a special speaker no doubt. I still have one I use outside for parties. The combo of 2226 and 2431 just sounds so good together. Below references the Truextant white paper that compares Ti vs Al (vs Be).

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...mat-Diaphragms
post #4609 of 7396 Old 05-17-2016, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxz View Post
I'm considering moving some walls around to make my space a couple feet larger to accommodate the 4722's also I'm already planing the do the 2453-sl upgrade. Since I'm going to be 70/30 music / movies I from what I've read the CD upgrade is worth it. I've got it down to the 4722 L/R with AM 7215-95 C/LS/RS with a couple 8350s setup for ATMOS or 5 u215's , subs will be a 4 ported ds4s (2 nearfield end tables) and/or a GJALLARHORN coffee table.

I need to model the ds4's IB could do 4 in wall IB mounts behind my couch.

Room will be 14x16 after moving some walls.
The JBL 2452 is still shown as available at Speaker Exchange for $425 brand new in the box (I just looked). Add $179 each to replace the diaphragms with the aquaplas coated ones and you have a top tier HF unit. To go all the way, replace with the Be diaphragm from Trutuxent.

More expensive than the 2453H-SL, but widely considered to be a superior driver. For music the Be version of the 2452 would be pretty tough to top, @notnyt 's measurements and listening reports back this up. The 4722 horn/452H-SL combo is on my shortlist for future speaker build. Coupled with a 2242 18" sub driver (more like a big bass driver as its top end is really good for an 18" driver) seem like a great match. The C-2-C distance is close enough that the 18" driver should not cause destructive interference issues.

Should be easy to go active, the DSP settings from the DSi amps are easy to find and make a great starting point.

Last edited by NWCgrad; 05-17-2016 at 06:33 AM.
post #4610 of 7396 Old 05-17-2016, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
Trust but verify,

I have a friend that recorded bands back in the 1970's and he is a devout "use your ears and to heck with meters etc." guy. Yes, he is a musician and KNOWS what good sound is!

I played a test tone at 10KHz and it was very loud and annoying...and he could not hear it. He was able to hear at 8KHz...and yet, he always told me my speakers lack crispness of the highs

Now, I'm 50 and my ears are better than normal as I can hear 14KHz with no problem. However, I'm fully aware that age is never to be denied and never comment on anything over 10KHz...to do so is being either in denial or a sign of ignorance. The days of hearing a flyback transformer in tube TVs ringing from across the room are gone.

Back in my 20's, I did PA setups and ALWAYS verified with test tones, out of phase signals and the like after getting the sound decent. After all, it was not about me--it was about the crowd of people so accuracy with a little extra boom and sizzle is what worked best.

Since my hearing varies depending on sleep, time of day, hydration, altitude, age, diet that week, mood and if I've had a few beers--always verify since my ears are a variable. You can't train your ears to hear something that is gone...

One of the best tests I've read about concerned DACs at Tomshardware.com. He is a PhD in engineering so wanted to do a double blind test on DACs. He tested them first with test equipment and noted one of them down 1.2dB at 100Hz. Then he grabbed a bunch of people including two audiophiles to listen to four different types between a $2K DAC down to a $2 built-in to the motherboard DAC. The audiophiles he tested their hearing at 12Hz to 17KHz and the other at 14Hz to 20KHz. The audiophile that had a $70K stereo could not tell the difference between a $2 DAC or $2K DAC even with the ability to hear 20KHz. A very valid data point that shows test equipment is more accurate and repeatable than even the best human hearing.

User reviews, "professional" reviews etc. do mean something...your hearing also means something to throw in the mix. Just be aware other people's hearing and your hearing along with the many biases humans have tend to really screw up the results. The only thing that does not have bias, hearing loss, dehydration, ego etc. is test equipment.

So if you're going to purchase high dollar 5K and up equipment, it would be a good investment to get your ears professionally cleaned and tested before attempting to gather information. No point in getting ribbon super tweeters for the 15K to 60KHz band if you can't hear past 15K...that huge cost savings will pay for the doc to clean your ears and test them. If the specs and actual tested graphs match up with what you can hear, then you have a good match.

Condoms are like speakers, everyone has a feeling of what they are comfortable with, what it should look like, additional features, the size required and ease of use. Speakers, just like condoms should have third party testing to verify they work as advertised! The engineers at Trojan don't use their professional penis to determine the durability of their product..they test it and I'm thankful they do!

Trust but verify!
Great post ^.

I actually went to the ear, nose and Throat specialist recently for my ears. There is also a good app that tests hearing available for iPhone/iPad. Ear health is important IMO and I take effort to wear protection and avoid things I know will be detrimental long term to my hearing. I'm only 38, but I wish I was a little smarter about this in my 20's. I have a mild amount of ringing already - but my hearing luckily is still in the "normal" range - the specialist told me specifically to use spl meter and avoid prolonged loud noise when possible if I want to keep my hearing late in life. He also explain hearing ability is variable as you did, and can change with health or other things that effect it. Your idea of cleaning your ears compared to big dollar gear made me laugh. It's so true. There is always going to be a group that values the subjective opinion no matter how flawed it might be. I think the hardest thing about that is understanding just how flawed and for what reasons, it's hard to understand something you don't know and it's hard to realize something is missing when you don't know it is.
post #4611 of 7396 Old 05-17-2016, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nothing better than some 75 yr old professional audio reviewer providing critical comments on a speakers top end, when he probably can't hear past 12 kHz.

I have a lot of sinus congestion, some days the system sounds flat and muffled as a result. Would be a bad day to be auditioning speakers. Would come home with some really bright Klipsch model.

I really need to get out and hear the 4722's. Been tracking measurements ofor the horn with various CD's ever since Zilch (R.I.P.) posted on them over at the Lansing Heritage website. Damn fine horns they are, with the were a bit smaller but they are what the are size wise. Near perfection for a baffle wall install.

post #4612 of 7396 Old 05-17-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Nothing better than some 75 yr old professional audio reviewer providing critical comments on a speakers top end, when he probably can't hear past 12 kHz.

I have a lot of sinus congestion, some days the system sounds flat and muffled as a result. Would be a bad day to be auditioning speakers. Would come home with some really bright Klipsch model.

I really need to get out and hear the 4722's. Been tracking measurements ofor the horn with various CD's ever since Zilch (R.I.P.) posted on them over at the Lansing Heritage website. Damn fine horns they are, with the were a bit smaller but they are what the are size wise. Near perfection for a baffle wall install.

When I get up and running I'm in Owings mills ,MD. Come take a listen!

I wish I could hear a couple of these high end options, jtr, yorkville , jbl
post #4613 of 7396 Old 05-17-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:

100% agree. On the Facebook theater pages there was a topic of "should professional audio reviews include their hearing test results as part of the review" which got some interesting debate.

Personally I'd like to see that. I think Ethan Winer was one of the posters that had intelligent comment on the reality. I enjoyed the debate, but still for the life of me can't figure out the staunch support against it. It just makes no sense to me. It's like asking a car reviewer to write car reviews when they can't drive. Audio is always one of those funny things. People always want to believe stuff a lot more than how much people actually know stuff so you get some odd ball philosophy on the matter. The truth is people think it's as simple as if it "sounds good" but psycho-acoustical perception is in reality anything other than simple.
post #4614 of 7396 Old 05-17-2016, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 77
So, it seems I misread Molon_Labe's post regarding the 1099 vs the 4722 from earlier (he was referring to the 3677 vs the 4722). Has anyone heard both of these speakers in the same room before? If not, has anyone heard both of them regardless of room? If not, hopefully the two folks who upgraded to the 4722s from the 1099s will have observations for us shortly. My curiosity has gotten the better of me, but I think I'm in good company...especially within this particular thread.
post #4615 of 7396 Old 05-17-2016, 07:40 AM

I never heard them in the same room at same time but both are good speakers.

I think more important question is the one that isn't asked: "which is better for MY ROOM and application". They are different speakers. The 1099 has better midrange clarity IMO, but audio memory is limited so I could be wrong. The 4722 should win the bottom end contest easily. The set up is going to conclude the end result and impact the final results so much more than any difference between them ever could.
post #4616 of 7396 Old 05-17-2016, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipless View Post
So, it seems I misread Molon_Labe's post regarding the 1099 vs the 4722 from earlier (he was referring to the 3677 vs the 4722). Has anyone heard both of these speakers in the same room before? If not, has anyone heard both of them regardless of room? If not, hopefully the two folks who upgraded to the 4722s from the 1099s will have observations for us shortly. My curiosity has gotten the better of me, but I think I'm in good company...especially within this particular thread.

@notnyt has both. I am sure Rob will
chime in shortly...
post #4617 of 7396 Old 05-17-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 836 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2920 Post(s)
Liked: 3626
Quote:
Man I wish I was ready to buy, cannot hardly DIY for that price using those drivers, waveguide and network.

1.8khz crossover might be a little higher than ideal for some folks. raising the crossover point is the least expensive way to increase the power handling and output of the speaker while protecting the c.d., but the tradeoff comes in both directivity mismatch through the crossover region as well as sound quality (the horn/c.d. is just better than a 15" woofer in the 900hz-1800hz octave). as far back as I can recall, the best two-ways (or three ways that include some sort of super tweeter) have always pushed the woofer-to-horn crossover point as low as possible. i think this is part of what makes the 4722 a standout--it is a pro audio speaker, but has a relatively low crossover point.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #4618 of 7396 Old 05-17-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Can the 4722 be made into a 3 way with the parts from the 37xx series? I know active amps are required and not even sure they would image in most rooms. Just curious how much better, if any, the 3 way pro cinema line is vs the 2 way.
Probably, but to do it well would be equal to just doing a full range 3 way design from scratch in the amount of effort required to do it right.

In theory you could drop the XO on the woofs to say 500hz, bump the XO on the tweet to 1200hz, and insert a horn loaded midrange in between them that matched directivity and dispersion.

The problem is IF you really wanted to do that you'd likely achieve better results with better parts (also cheaper parts) than the parts that are stock in the 4722. By better I mean more appropriate.

Bigger tweets struggle with extension and smoothness and basically trade the top for more bottom in the great chase for a an ever lower XO point. The bigger the woofer and the lower the XO the more demand on the tweeter. (So they usually get larger). You'd have a nicer top end with a smaller tweet, but you'd have less capability on the bottom (thus higher xo). It's give and take. You can't have more of something without taking from another. If you wanted a three way you could use a smaller horn, a smaller tweeter with a better top end, and off load what you lose doing that to a capable midrange. In that sense you'd gain in both top and bottom by moving that direction - but that's a totally new speaker.

The weakness of the 4722 is its top end IMO. And it's somewhat "pro audio" sounding (less refinement as a trade off for greater power handling, greater reliability, and greater output). In a consumer small room home theater it's overly capable so I could see trading back some of that for additional refinement being potentially awesome. The trouble is the effort required to do that well, and the skillset. That's just eliminated 99.9% from doing it. For the remaining folks there is potential in those hills to strike gold, but they likely would start from scratch because they could.

If I was to do it I would use a slightly smaller tweet that's smoother and more extended, a slightly smaller horn on top, a horn loaded mid (or two for increased efficiency and match of directivity ) in the middle and with a pair of high efficiency and highly refined 15" woofers. It's likely to be a 3.5 way crossover or perhaps even a 4 way/4.5 way design to manage comb filtering (acoustical interference from multiple sources of same sound). That's a pretty heavy pay grade IMO. It's past the level of a DIY group two way or the majority of stuff you see in the DIY forum projects. Harman basically does this in other applications - it would be easier to just buy that and sell the 4722.
post #4619 of 7396 Old 05-17-2016, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
Quote:
Can the 4722 be made into a 3 way with the parts from the 37xx series? I know active amps are required and not even sure they would image in most rooms. Just curious how much better, if any, the 3 way pro cinema line is vs the 2 way. And no, I am not considering it. Just a curious topic for conversation. OK maybe I would consider it

Let me translate for any newbies on the thread:

"And no, I am not considering it." = I am totally going to try this ...soooonnnn!!!!!
Scott Simonian and dgage like this.
post #4620 of 7396 Old 05-17-2016, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
1.8khz crossover might be a little higher than ideal for some folks. raising the crossover point is the least expensive way to increase the power handling and output of the speaker while protecting the c.d., but the tradeoff comes in both directivity mismatch through the crossover region as well as sound quality (the horn/c.d. is just better than a 15" woofer in the 900hz-1800hz octave). as far back as I can recall, the best two-ways (or three ways that include some sort of super tweeter) have always pushed the woofer-to-horn crossover point as low as possible. i think this is part of what makes the 4722 a standout--it is a pro audio speaker, but has a relatively low crossover point.
Here is what I am thinking (one of a multiple options I may [or may not] pursue in next year or so):

Would make a more aesthetically pleasing cabinet, using the following as a rough idea: (bass will not be horn loaded as in this design, just like the overall design appearance)

Would go active with the XO at 630 - 750 Hz. At 750 Hz the maximum theoretical center-to-center spacing of any pair drivers on the baffle to avoid half wave beaming/interferences in the crossover region between those drivers is 18.32."

Would look something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JBL-Inspired 5741 Design.png
Views:	2030
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	1443218   Click image for larger version

Name:	M5741 Design Inspiration.png
Views:	1584
Size:	709.0 KB
ID:	1443242   Click image for larger version

Name:	M5741 Concept.png
Views:	1505
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	1443402  
LTD02 and dgage like this.

Last edited by NWCgrad; 05-17-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page