Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers. - Page 178 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3118Likes

post #5311 of 7396 Old 11-04-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked: 986
I was just upstairs looking at some velvet samples, so I turned everything on and watched the opening part of Deadpool. As I was watching I thought my subs seemed a bit "light", so I brought up the settings and went to adjust the levels.......then I remembered that I had unhooked the subs from my Anthem the other night and didn't plug them back in...

It was impressive how much bass those dual 15's have. Don't get me wrong, I still need subs, but I was impressed though.
Frohlich and Gooddoc like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 7396 Old 11-04-2016, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
Liked: 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by podboy View Post
I have 3 available with less than 5 hours on them. PM me if you want them.
How do you like the upgraded CDs?
jjackkrash likes this.
post #5313 of 7396 Old 11-04-2016, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
How do you like the upgraded CDs?

Putting them in tomorrow. Thanks again for selling me yours and walking me through everything. AVS is an amazing forum, I wouldn't have 1/10th of a system I do I know if I did everything on my own. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5314 of 7396 Old 11-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers.

I'm picking up a Marantz 7010 this weekend. I think it will be an upgrade from my pioneer vsx-30 from what I have read through here! What do you guys think??? How will this pair with the 4722s???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Claybe; 11-04-2016 at 07:26 PM.
post #5315 of 7396 Old 11-05-2016, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 69
New CD's sound fuller, more separation between instruments with music. The high frequencies are less harsh, which was my main goal. I could be happy with this setup for decades. Just going to enjoy my setup and not worry about the latest and greatest for a while. Thanks everyone who made it possible.

post #5316 of 7396 Old 11-06-2016, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
I'm going to try the QSC 312XC as a low profile center speaker alongside my 4722n speakers. It's big brother QSC 322XC appear to be a similar design to 4722n with stock components.

Gonna call around for prices on monday.

http://www.qsc.com/cinema/products/l...kers/sc-312xc/

Southern California Cinetech looks like they have most of the QSC and JBL cinema lines with listed prices that are very competitive.

Last edited by LumensLover; 11-06-2016 at 03:01 AM.
post #5317 of 7396 Old 11-06-2016, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
Quote:
Originally Posted by podboy View Post
New CD's sound fuller, more separation between instruments with music. The high frequencies are less harsh, which was my main goal. I could be happy with this setup for decades. Just going to enjoy my setup and not worry about the latest and greatest for a while. Thanks everyone who made it possible.

A truely killer combo at a killer price

(this comes from a guy who has tried many many speakers over the years)
Molon_Labe likes this.
post #5318 of 7396 Old 11-06-2016, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
Hey guys, I'm planning on calling tomorrow and buying LRC 4722's for movies to put behind my screen. I'll be using something else (JTR 210's likely) for music speakers that will be out in front of the screen.

For side surrounds I'm thinking about getting another pair of 4722's. I could fit them. Some of the seats might be too close though, so is there another speakers with a similar sound to use for sides - like what Nytnot uses for his center maybe?

The music speakers and side surrounds won't be bought for awhile, just thinking ahead.
post #5319 of 7396 Old 11-06-2016, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Hey guys, I'm planning on calling tomorrow and buying LRC 4722's for movies to put behind my screen. I'll be using something else (JTR 210's likely) for music speakers that will be out in front of the screen.

For side surrounds I'm thinking about getting another pair of 4722's. I could fit them. Some of the seats might be too close though, so is there another speakers with a similar sound to use for sides - like what Nytnot uses for his center maybe?

The music speakers and side surrounds won't be bought for awhile, just thinking ahead.
That's awesome! Are you sticking with the standard CD's or the upgraded ones tested by notnyt?

post #5320 of 7396 Old 11-06-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
That's awesome! Are you sticking with the standard CD's or the upgraded ones tested by notnyt?
Upgraded!! I had the stock CD's when I had the 4722's for a few weeks in my room and I'm not listening to those abominations again.

Haha, kidding, they were great. For movies I could have gone either way between the 4722's and the 215's. For music I just couldn't do it (keep them over the 215's), but these are going to be for movies. I can't not get the upgraded CD's after talking to beast and others.
post #5321 of 7396 Old 11-06-2016, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

If you upgrade the cds you won't need the JTR 210s for music. They equal or exceed what I heard from a pair of Klipsch Jubilees with music playback.
carp and Molon_Labe like this.
post #5322 of 7396 Old 11-06-2016, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Come by the ones I am selling Seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
If you upgrade the cds you won't need the JTR 210s for music. They equal or exceed what I heard from a pair of Klipsch Jubilees with music playback.
I agree. I think they will be too similar to have redundant JTRs solely for music. You may like the 4722 over and above the JTR. Sell the JTR and you will be in the green cost wise. I haven't heard the JTR but I wouldn't consider getting something "else" for music with the upgraded CDs.
carp likes this.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 11-06-2016 at 06:13 PM.
post #5323 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Upgraded!! I had the stock CD's when I had the 4722's for a few weeks in my room and I'm not listening to those abominations again.

Haha, kidding, they were great. For movies I could have gone either way between the 4722's and the 215's. For music I just couldn't do it (keep them over the 215's), but these are going to be for movies. I can't not get the upgraded CD's after talking to beast and others.
Great, now I am travelling to KC GTG just to hear the speakers I already have....whatever

BTW, I still think you should do the 5 4722s across the front like we discussed over the weekend..would be killer

As for surrounds, Coach and I both have SCS 8 matching all the way around for Atmos/Surrounds and they match up pretty well. Or you could do like Molon Labe and just go 4722s for surrounds since it sounds like you have room. The SCS8 are just much easier to place into most rooms and are very flexible with the mounting bracket.
carp likes this.
post #5324 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
OK. Just finished assembling the HF and LF sections one hour ago. I now remember why I hate using bare speaker wire.I had a hell of a time getting 12 gauge speaker wire to fit into the phoenix connectors on the HF sections and the tiny bare wire connectors on the Yamaha p7000s.

Also,my wire stripper broke so I had to finish the job with my knife. Once connected I played a sample of old school R & B songs from my personal playlist. I chose tracks from the Isley brothers, Earth Wind & Fire, etc. Songs with smooth vocals and strong instrument sections in the background full of detail.

After over an hour of listening here are my initial thoughts.These speakers passed my test for music with flying colors. Very good high frequency extension and strong clarity in the high frequencies even at extremely low volume levels.

Midbass is to die for. MK stated the woofers will need time to break in before their low end potential is realized. But man oh man this is not my experience. Their low end is UBER strong straight out of the box. I've never purchased a speaker with bass this strong right out the box. Even my Cerwin Vega ClS-215 had wimpy low end out of the box and took time to break in.

These speaker's bass is smooth and deep. I tried various crossovers from 40hz to 80hz but these speakers sound right at home in full range mode without a crossover. Definitely don't need a sub with music with these.

Their sweetspot is pretty much my entire room! They sound excellent both on and off axis. Their clarity in the high frequencies is superior to the Yorkville U215s. However the gap is not night and day. Though I am hearing more detail in various instrument sections that I flat out was not hearing at all with the Yorkville U215s.

The HF section of the JBLs have a very open sound to them. I can hear each word with clarity at a few clicks of the remote. I can clearly hear dialogue at extremely low volume levels two rooms away. When I lay on the volume a bit it sounds like I am in a auditorium. Highs envelope the entire room.

Background details are concise and easily discernable between instrument sections. I'm, even picking up background noise from the studio from the time the tracks were recorded. The York's HF just seemed to taper off a bit too early. I had to boost the treble by +4db on my tone controls to get them to where all dialogue was intelligible.

Their midbass performance is very dynamic. The Yorks are super close in this category however the JBLs win due to their deeper extension.

Where these speakers run away from the Yorks is room coverage. The Yorks have a fairly narrow sweet spot and suffered from poor off axis performance in my opinion. The JBL speakers have an ultra wide soundstage. Music sounds great no matter where I am positioned in the main room or in the entire condo for that matter. Off axis sounds every bit as great as when sitting in the middle of the JBLs.

These speakers are definitely more sensitive than the Yorks and sound great at all volume levels. I'm very happy with this purchase and I consider it a worthwhile upgrade from the Yorkville U215s.

Though I still consider the Yorkville U215s very good speakers which are solid performers in both HT and music realms.

I also had one last shock of the night. While moving around the furniture in my living room, I decided to go ahead and try my Yorkville U15 as a center with the two JBL 4722n as mains.

I must admit the three sound great together. Which is a testament to the Yorkville horn which can still hang with these speakers.

The other guests in my condo also commented on how good the trio sounded together. So that takes care of my center issue.
Thank you to AVS because I never would have thought to try this type of speaker in my home if not for the informative members here who think outside of the box and are not afraid to try something different.

Back to critical listening now. I am thoroughly enjoying these speaker's accuracy with music in Onkyo pure audio mode. Best purchase in years!

Thanks for your suggestion.
post #5325 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 05:20 AM

The guy I want to talk to is Darren Phillips right? What is the exact model # of the upgraded compression driver? I have all the info written down at home but I was going to call from work today.

thanks
post #5326 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The guy I want to talk to is Darren Phillips right? What is the exact model # of the upgraded compression driver? I have all the info written down at home but I was going to call from work today.

thanks
There are several folks at Full compass that have helped AVS members and I think they all did a great job. Below is the contact Coach and I used.

The 2453H SL is the JBL pro compression driver in question. It shows up goofy in their computer system. Here is what was on my receipt for the 2453H SL:

"JBL 5004613X High frequency driver for the JBL MD2"

John Bayer
National Sales / Account Manager
Full Compass Systems
9770 Silicon Prairie Pkwy.
Madison, WI 53593-8442
P: 800-356-5844 x1184
F: 608-831-6330
E: [email protected]
carp likes this.
post #5327 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
As for surrounds, Coach and I both have SCS 8 matching all the way around for Atmos/Surrounds and they match up pretty well. Or you could do like Molon Labe and just go 4722s for surrounds since it sounds like you have room. The SCS8 are just much easier to place into most rooms and are very flexible with the mounting bracket.
If I had to do it over again, I would have gone with all SCS 8 for surrounds and Atmos. I really prefer the space now that I have turned it back into a multi-use room.
shivaji likes this.
post #5328 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:

Not is also switching out his center for a DIY option based around the 2453H-SL just so you know I wouldn't use that for surrounds if I were you. You would definitely need to always use EQ to make sure they mesh correctly, which I know you are up in the air on for the most part. The 3677 uses the X-curve which wouldn't sound right without the EQ.

So other things to think about. You'll have all the output you need. Feel like you are missing some of that excellent extension of the 215's? You could at least experiment plugging a port on the bottom cabinet. IIRC by doing so you drop the tuning to around 26-27hz, and gain a little more bottom-end. Just a fun little try if you feel like it.
carp likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #5329 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
There are several folks at Full compass that have helped AVS members and I think they all did a great job. Below is the contact Coach and I used.

The 2453H SL is the JBL pro compression driver in question. It shows up goofy in their computer system. Here is what was on my receipt for the 2453H SL:

"JBL 5004613X High frequency driver for the JBL MD2"

John Bayer
National Sales / Account Manager
Full Compass Systems
9770 Silicon Prairie Pkwy.
Madison, WI 53593-8442
P: 800-356-5844 x1184
F: 608-831-6330
E: [email protected]
Cool, thanks a lot I just left him a message.

Quote:
If I had to do it over again, I would have gone with all SCS 8 for surrounds and Atmos. I really prefer the space now that I have turned it back into a multi-use room.
I've seen you and others rave about having large and matching surrounds so this surprises me. I like it though, it would be so much easier and cheaper to not get the huge surrounds. I have recently found that I prefer 5.1 with the side surrounds at more like 120 degrees than having 7.1 with the sides at 90 degrees and the rears at 135 degrees (I prefer it at the main LP anyway, which is all that matters).

What I have found is that when the side surrounds are close to 90 degrees (had them 95 - 100 degrees actually), they are all i hear and it sounds directly to the side. I can't really hear the sound that much coming from the rears. So, I don't get that much of a sound field behind me. All sounds seem to be either from up front or directly to my side (well, I should say it's wrapped around the front sound stage, I hear plenty of sounds in between the side surrounds and R and L main speakers), even though I turned up the volume on the rear surrounds a couple of db's I just don't feel surrounded from behind my head.

So, I was thinking, put a couple of 4722's at the 120 degree spot and just go 5.1 with eventually adding 4 ceiling speakers (ha, not 4722's obviously) for Atmos.

@Scott Simonian would not be happy with ^ but that's what I've found with a lot of experimenting. I've been using a 5.1 system the last couple days and for both movies and Netflix tv shows I've enjoyed the surround sound more than when I had 7.1.

I'm not done experimenting though, now that I have my mains where they should be for movies - behind the screen - I'll try the side surrounds at 80 or 75 degrees and put the rear surrounds back (when I get my 4722's, I don't have enough speakers to try it now) at 130 - 135 degrees and see if that is better than 1 set of surrounds at 120 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Not is also switching out his center for a DIY option based around the 2453H-SL just so you know I wouldn't use that for surrounds if I were you. You would definitely need to always use EQ to make sure they mesh correctly, which I know you are up in the air on for the most part. The 3677 uses the X-curve which wouldn't sound right without the EQ.

So other things to think about. You'll have all the output you need. Feel like you are missing some of that excellent extension of the 215's? You could at least experiment plugging a port on the bottom cabinet. IIRC by doing so you drop the tuning to around 26-27hz, and gain a little more bottom-end. Just a fun little try if you feel like it.
Cool! I love to tinker so another thing to try. I will say this, when Jonathan, Steven, and I were playing the demo disk (back when I was comparing 4722's to 215's) that has the fireworks we got more chest punch from the fireworks track from the 4722's by themselves then running all the subs and the 215's combined. Now, it could have been because I didn't have the 215's integrated properly with the subs, but the 4722's had more punch feel with the 215's set to small and using all the subs as well.

@Archaea @Scrappydue

So, I am excited to have a ton of headroom - not only in the low bass with all the subs, but also in the higher bass with the light pro drivers in the 4722's.
Molon_Labe likes this.

Last edited by carp; 11-07-2016 at 08:30 AM.
post #5330 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've seen you and others rave about having large and matching surrounds so this surprises me. I like it though, it would be so much easier and cheaper to not get the huge surrounds. I have recently found that I prefer 5.1 with the side surrounds at more like 120 degrees than having 7.1 with the sides at 90 degrees and the rears at 135 degrees (I prefer it at the main LP anyway, which is all that matters).

What I have found is that when the side surrounds are close to 90 degrees (had them 95 - 100 degrees actually), they are all i hear and it sounds directly to the side. I can't really hear the sound that much coming from the rears. So, I don't get that much of a sound field behind me. All sounds seem to be either from up front or directly to my side (well, I should say it's wrapped around the front sound stage, I hear plenty of sounds in between the side surrounds and R and L main speakers), even though I turned up the volume on the rear surrounds a couple of db's I just don't feel surrounded from behind my head.

So, I was thinking, put a couple of 4722's at the 120 degree spot and just go 5.1 with eventually adding 4 ceiling speakers (ha, not 4722's obviously) for Atmos.
No, the large surrounds are amazing. However, I went from a 100% dedicated room back to a shared room with 80's arcade machines in the rear. Considering we really can't match all of the speakers i.e. putting 4722s on the ceiling, there is going to be a slight mismatch when panning to the ceiling SCS 8. I detect it, but most people wouldn't. We all recognize that we are the most critical criticizers of our rooms. Since there is going to be a slight difference, I would rather have all matching SCS8 to gain some floor space back. In a dedicated room, the 4722 as surrounds are incredible, especially with multi-channel music. They throw a HUGE surround field. My plans for the room changed, so take my statement with a grain of salt.

I also agree about the 5.1 vs the 7.1.

I much prefer 5.2.4 over my previous 7.2.4. When @LumensLover demoed my room, it was 5.2.4 I think he will attest there was nothing missing from a panning and sound envelope perspective.
carp likes this.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 11-07-2016 at 09:06 AM.
post #5331 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 09:15 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
Meh.

I think y'all crazy but all I care is if you're happy.
carp likes this.
post #5332 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Meh.

I think y'all crazy but all I care is if you're happy.
Just so there is no confusion...here is what Scott's definition of happiness looks like:

dgage likes this.
post #5333 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
Eww. No.

That system is just for showing off how much money someone can spend. *shudders* More of a 'stroke my goatee and sniff my own farts' kind of system.

Look at all that empty space NOT filled with subwoofers. I thought you guys knew me?

How do I *unlike* this post by Frohlich?
notnyt likes this.
post #5334 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Scott is a role model for avoiding excess, I mean 4 JBL 2226 drivers are barely adequate for a speaker.

post #5335 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked: 986
I am off the forum for a few days and this thread blows up...but I am glad to see we are gaining another member.

The 4722/SCS8 combo is amazing, IMO. I was watching football and then a few movies yesterday, they don't disappoint!

@carp - That front stage of yours would be fun with 5 of the 4722's.
post #5336 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 604 Post(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Quote:
Cool, thanks a lot I just left him a message.

@Scott Simonian would not be happy with ^ but that's what I've found with a lot of experimenting. I've been using a 5.1 system the last couple days and for both movies and Netflix tv shows I've enjoyed the surround sound more than when I had 7.1.

I'm not done experimenting though, now that I have my mains where they should be for movies - behind the screen - I'll try the side surrounds at 80 or 75 degrees and put the rear surrounds back (when I get my 4722's, I don't have enough speakers to try it now) at 130 - 135 degrees and see if that is better than 1 set of surrounds at 120 degrees.

Cool! I love to tinker so another thing to try. I will say this, when Jonathan, Steven, and I were playing the demo disk (back when I was comparing 4722's to 215's) that has the fireworks we got more chest punch from the fireworks track from the 4722's by themselves then running all the subs and the 215's combined. Now, it could have been because I didn't have the 215's integrated properly with the subs, but the 4722's had more punch feel with the 215's set to small and using all the subs as well.

@Archaea @Scrappydue

So, I am excited to have a ton of headroom - not only in the low bass with all the subs, but also in the higher bass with the light pro drivers in the 4722's.

Man, sorry, I can't confirm that, because I don't remember one way or the other on the specifics -- what I do remember is that I liked the JTR 215RT better than the JBL 4722 and also better than those 60 series Danleys in your room when we compared back and forth with both. I'm going to make a call right here....You'll be back to some sort of JTR within 2 years time. Mark it on your calendars folk.

Sheldon, prove me wrong.

My advice? (not that you asked... )
Get (11) Volt 10s for cinema since you already know you dig those speakers more than other inexpensive options -- and a couple of JTR 212HTR or 210RT, or 215RT for music. Done. You can keep the inexpensive all matching cinema setup for years and years and years and have a 100% matching surround field for cinema which is something special (IMO). AND --- you have the freedom to swap out your two channel setup until your hearts desire finds contentment.

I am 100% satisfied with my (11) Mackie C200 for cinema. 100%.
2+ years into ownership --- actually nearly 3 years in the next few months.
podboy likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 11-07-2016 at 11:31 AM.
post #5337 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Man, sorry, I can't confirm that, because I don't remember one way or the other on the specifics -- what I do remember is that I liked the JTR 215RT better than the JBL 4722 and also better than those 60 series Danleys in your room when we compared back and forth with both. I'm going to make a call right here....You'll be back to some sort of JTR within 2 years time. Mark it on your calendars folk.

Sheldon, prove me wrong.

Once he has the upgraded CDs, I will take that bet I didn't like the 4722 for music prior to the upgrade.
Frohlich likes this.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 11-07-2016 at 11:59 AM.
post #5338 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
I'm going to try the QSC 312XC as a low profile center speaker alongside my 4722n speakers. It's big brother QSC 322XC appear to be a similar design to 4722n with stock components.

Gonna call around for prices on monday.

http://www.qsc.com/cinema/products/l...kers/sc-312xc/

Southern California Cinetech looks like they have most of the QSC and JBL cinema lines with listed prices that are very competitive.
The 412 may be a better option, as the 700hz crossover is the same as the 4700. I think it is only $100 more.
post #5339 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Sheldon, prove me wrong.

My advice? (not that you asked... )
Get (11) Volt 10s for cinema since you already know you dig those speakers more than other inexpensive options -- and a couple of JTR 212HTR or 210RT, or 215RT for music. Done. You can keep the inexpensive all matching cinema setup for years and years and years and have a 100% matching surround field for cinema which is something special (IMO). AND --- you have the freedom to swap out your two channel setup until your hearts desire finds contentment.

I am 100% satisfied with my (11) Mackie C200 for cinema. 100%.
2+ years into ownership --- actually nearly 3 years in the next few months.

I just can't do it. Eventually the curiosity would win out and I would have to try the 4722's with the better CD eventually, so it might as well be now. My plan is to buy those now, and then when funds replenish get a pair of 210's for music, so your call is already my call. The guys here tell me I won't need separate music speakers after getting the 4722's. That would be ideal, but we'll see. If I don't LOVE the 4722's with the upgraded driver I'll sell and then go with the all Volt's idea and 210's for music.

That was the Danley SH-50 I had for a few days that you heard.

Next time you are over we will have to do the 5.1 vs 7.1 comparison from the sweet spot and see if you are hearing what I am hearing. Still, now that my mains are narrow I have a feeling Scott might be right and trying the sides at 75-80 degrees might be the best of all options.
post #5340 of 7396 Old 11-07-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
No, the large surrounds are amazing. However, I went from a 100% dedicated room back to a shared room with 80's arcade machines in the rear. Considering we really can't match all of the speakers i.e. putting 4722s on the ceiling, there is going to be a slight mismatch when panning to the ceiling SCS 8. I detect it, but most people wouldn't. We all recognize that we are the most critical criticizers of our rooms. Since there is going to be a slight difference, I would rather have all matching SCS8 to gain some floor space back. In a dedicated room, the 4722 as surrounds are incredible, especially with multi-channel music. They throw a HUGE surround field. My plans for the room changed, so take my statement with a grain of salt.

I also agree about the 5.1 vs the 7.1.

I much prefer 5.2.4 over my previous 7.2.4. When @LumensLover demoed my room, it was 5.2.4 I think he will attest there was nothing missing from a panning and sound envelope perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I am off the forum for a few days and this thread blows up...but I am glad to see we are gaining another member.

The 4722/SCS8 combo is amazing, IMO. I was watching football and then a few movies yesterday, they don't disappoint!

@carp - That front stage of yours would be fun with 5 of the 4722's.

Hmm... I'm wondering what would be better. 5.1 with 4722 surrounds or an Atmos setup with the small JBL's. I'm guessing the latter but would love to try it out for myself. When I get my 4722's I plan on trying them out as side surrounds at 120 degrees and hope to not be blown away which would make the decision easier and save space in the room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page