Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers. - Page 182 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3098Likes

post #5431 of 7382 Old 11-10-2016, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Can anyone tell me how well the Jbl SCS 8's perform with music?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5432 of 7382 Old 11-11-2016, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Thanks for catching that femi!
No problem carp , I am glad you made the change before they ship them.

Femi
post #5433 of 7382 Old 11-11-2016, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
Can anyone tell me how well the Jbl SCS 8's perform with music?
Do you mean using them as L/C/R? If so, they don't hold up to high quality main speakers. I had them as my main L/R the first day just to tinker with them. They sound as good as like a JTR S8 but they don't sound as good as true full range speakers and the compression driver is of lesser quality than the 4722.

If you just means as surround or Atmos speakers when listening to multi channel music they sound just fine. I have them for my 4 surrounds and my 4 Atmos speakers and due listen to them with music when watching blu ray concerts (I don't do much 2 channel music listening). I had JTR T8 before and they sound every bit as good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5434 of 7382 Old 11-11-2016, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 391 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5492 Post(s)
Liked: 5304
Quote:
Well, I was thinking last night things were too good to be true...

Yep, he was giving me a price on the 4722, not the 4722 n. I screwed that one up. He just got back to me and said the 4722n is more money and he's checking on the price now.
I see you got that all squared away now, but if not, the networks can be ordered on their own.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #5435 of 7382 Old 11-11-2016, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 669 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3503 Post(s)
Liked: 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I see you got that all squared away now, but if not, the networks can be ordered on their own.
I did, they cost 1150 shipped so I'm still happy because that was the price I was expecting to get from Full Compass, but they raised their price to 1209.
post #5436 of 7382 Old 11-11-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Do you mean using them as L/C/R? If so, they don't hold up to high quality main speakers. I had them as my main L/R the first day just to tinker with them. They sound as good as like a JTR S8 but they don't sound as good as true full range speakers and the compression driver is of lesser quality than the 4722.

If you just means as surround or Atmos speakers when listening to multi channel music they sound just fine. I have them for my 4 surrounds and my 4 Atmos speakers and due listen to them with music when watching blu ray concerts (I don't do much 2 channel music listening). I had JTR T8 before and they sound every bit as good.
Yes I was speaking in terms of surrounds. I love multichannel music so I am trying to get my surround sound ht setup completed as soon as possible. Stereo just does not give me the enveloping feeling I crave during music playback.

I need my multichannel music back.
post #5437 of 7382 Old 11-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
No and No There is little to no discernible difference in my room with before 7.1.4 and 5.1.4. I was expecting much worse and was pleasantly surprised.
Then you were probably doing something wrong.

"No discernible difference"? C'mon.

What if I was able to come over and I noticed a difference?

I'm not saying it's not okay to like 5.1 audio. I'm just saying that there is a difference and it's noticeable (5.1 -> 7.1 audio). I'm happy that you're happy but there is definitely a difference between the two layouts.
post #5438 of 7382 Old 11-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
Have you updated your system thread to show what it looks like now? Last I saw updates was when you're doing the acoustic treatment. I wanna see the arcade!
post #5439 of 7382 Old 11-11-2016, 01:41 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked: 1698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Have you updated your system thread to show what it looks like now? Last I saw updates was when you're doing the acoustic treatment. I wanna see the arcade!
Here's something the pictures won't show Scott. Molon_Labe has the most energetic floor I've ever felt. A pair of 24s, a few 18s in the rear, and that floor makes movies come to life. Definitely an experience!

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #5440 of 7382 Old 11-11-2016, 09:03 PM

I'm jealous! If I had that I wouldn't have so many damn subs!!
podboy likes this.
post #5441 of 7382 Old 11-11-2016, 11:54 PM

Anyone heard the JBL 9320? I'm interested in high performance surrounds for multichannel music,
post #5442 of 7382 Old 11-12-2016, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Then you were probably doing something wrong.

"No discernible difference"? C'mon.

What if I was able to come over and I noticed a difference?

I'm not saying it's not okay to like 5.1 audio. I'm just saying that there is a difference and it's noticeable (5.1 -> 7.1 audio). I'm happy that you're happy but there is definitely a difference between the two layouts.
I would have thought so too Scott. But I think having such large horn sections with that big sweet spot means that they cover that whole side/back area pretty well.

Perhaps that makes the difference between a traditional 7.1 set up with smaller speakers vs Chris' 5.1 with the 2384 guides far less discernable.

I used to have the 3632's. My LF and RF were placed very wide at one time so they were pretty much corner loaded. They sounded really good in that position and I always thought I'd like to try another two of that same speaker in the LR and RR corners of my room. A home IMAX if you like. I think the 3632's would have worked well back there and given me a great 5.1 system.

I never got to try it though and I never got to compare it to a 7.1 set up with smaller surrounds. It would have been an interesting test though.
post #5443 of 7382 Old 11-12-2016, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked: 2272
I agree with Scott but it has to be setup correctly and you can't sometimes with those huge speakers.
post #5444 of 7382 Old 11-12-2016, 08:00 AM

I agree with Scott but it has to be setup correctly and you can't sometimes with those huge speakers.
post #5445 of 7382 Old 11-12-2016, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 270
My first post to this thread but I have read most of it before I switched to JBL 4 months ago. I'd like to share my experience with JBL 4722n.

If someone is reading this and in the middle of deciding to get one, please don't waste your time. Just go and order them. You won't be disappointed period. I had RA CX15 before this and no matter what I did in my dedicated theater room, it just didn't sound that large. I was exploring different options and after reading so many great reviews, I decided to get 3 JBL 4722n. Wooowww, after calibrating with Dirac, they were just absolutely stunning. I did have to make some changes in room treatment. Before I had a total of 10 4" 2x4 acoustical panels covering side and ceiling. This excludes the back/front wall. Now I have only 5 because I just love how the sounds emerges you with these. I spent a lot of time listening and moving the panels till I got to the point where I liked them the most.

Long story short, I think I'm done with my journey for finding a good speaker for movies. I was going to stick around with CX8 for my surround but after what I heard from 4722n, I had to try SCS-8. I purchased 2 to try them and within next week, ordered 6 more. So now I have a full JBL setup in my theater. A 7.2.4 setup with all 11 speakers from JBL and I love em.

Now, a few more posts coming...

Last edited by harrisu; 11-12-2016 at 08:24 AM.
post #5446 of 7382 Old 11-12-2016, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In all fairness to Scott's post about them being setup correctly, there is some truth to that. My room is 20' wide and the side surrounds were just too close to the edge listeners which caused them to hot spot or draw too much attention to themselves even with attenuaters inline. I live them gone vs having them there. With that said, the leaf atmos demo has no apparent gaps as it swirls with the sides removed. I was pleasantly surprised. I also did an A/B with the sides vs no sides prior to removing them. Maybe the most discernible ear could tell but the average person wouldn't find anything "missing".
Are you using any room correction?
if you still have your rear speakers and don't see them making a big difference, I'd recommend you to increase their trim level a bit more in avr. Its a personal preference. Some like to hear sound from all around in a way where they can point out where exactly the sound came from and some like to a big bubble where you are in the middle of it. I think that since 4722n have a big dispersion, it might be hard to tell if sound even came from rear. Increase the level a bit might stand them out. I guess worth a try just to see if you like it this way. I was watching "The Jungle Book" a few days ago and there is this scene where a snake is talking to the child. The sound snaps all around you when the snake is talking. I could clearly hear the sound going around me from left to surround back left to surround back right to right. It was so good that I had to hear it again. In my case, I am using SCS-8 and they have a big dispersion and yet I was able to clearly hear the sound moving around me. Please note that I don't have my rear speakers trim level higher than other speakers. All seven floor speakers are level matched. Only the ceiling speakers are 1dB higher.

Last edited by harrisu; 11-12-2016 at 08:38 AM.
post #5447 of 7382 Old 11-12-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
My first post to this thread but I have read most of it before I switched to JBL 4 months ago. I'd like to share my experience with JBL 4722n.

If someone is reading this and in the middle of deciding to get one, please don't waste your time. Just go and order them. You won't be disappointed period. I had RA CX15 before this and no matter what I did in my dedicated theater room, it just didn't sound that large. I was exploring different options and after reading so many great reviews, I decided to get 3 JBL 4722n. Wooowww, after calibrating with Dirac, they were just absolutely stunning. I did have to make some changes in room treatment. Before I had a total of 10 4" 2x4 acoustical panels covering side and ceiling. This excludes the back/front wall. Now I have only 5 because I just love how the sounds emerges you with these. I spent a lot of time listening and moving the panels till I got to the point where I liked them the most.

Long story short, I think I'm done with my journey for finding a good speaker for movies. I was going to stick around with CX8 for my surround but after what I heard from 4722n, I had to try SCS-8. I purchased 2 to try them and within next week, ordered 6 more. So now I have a full JBL setup in my theater. A 7.2.4 setup with all 11 speakers from JBL and I love em.

Now, a few more posts coming...
Thank you for posting and great to hear about your experience. It mirrors my own and the JBl 4722n also ended my speaker search and the SCS8 are such a nice compliment for surround and Atmos. You throw in the price and they are such an unbelievable value. Look forward to your future posts and glad you found what you were looking for.
post #5448 of 7382 Old 11-12-2016, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
To top it off, he put in the order to JBL for the 2453H SL compression drivers and the price is 249 shipped each compared to 290 from Full Compass. He said it could be 4-6 weeks on those, and he won't charge my card until they ship.
Is this the price for the 2453H SL in addition to the standard drivers that come with the 4722 or is this the price for a driver swap/upgrade? In other words, will you still have the standard drivers to sell when the 2453H SL drivers are delivered?
post #5449 of 7382 Old 11-12-2016, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 310 Post(s)
Quoted: 3726 Post(s)
Liked: 3692
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Is this the price for the 2453H SL in addition to the standard drivers that come with the 4722 or is this the price for a driver swap/upgrade? In other words, will you still have the standard drivers to sell when the 2453H SL drivers are delivered?
That's the standard price for the 2453h-sl
post #5450 of 7382 Old 11-12-2016, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for posting and great to hear about your experience. It mirrors my own and the JBl 4722n also ended my speaker search and the SCS8 are such a nice compliment for surround and Atmos. You throw in the price and they are such an unbelievable value. Look forward to your future posts and glad you found what you were looking for.
Quote:
The rear speakers are fine. I was referring to the side speakers when I had a 7.1.4 setup. The 4722 was just too close to the edge listeners, so I dropped down to a 5.1.4 with only two surrounds. I am good to go with the setup now.

Welcome to the 4722 family. Order the upgraded CDs and take it to the next level. If you think they sound good now, you will be blown away with the new CD.
Thanks guys. So what's this NEW CD is and what's so good about it? Does it make a difference for those who specially use speakers for Movies?

Today, I discovered something very interesting about the speakers. After I integrated them in the system, I realized that the FR in REW was dropping up to 8db from 300-800Hz. FR wouldn't drop right away. It goes gradually down and by 600dB, its up to 8db lower and then slowing starts going up. I thought it was my room. So I took out all the panels out and tested. No matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of that 8db slope. Finally, today I found out why. Its my AT screen. Its a weive AT screen and my speakers are 8" away from it. If I take away the screen, FR is much better (almost flat). With screen on, there comes the slope. Now, if I bring the speakers very close to screen like around 1-2", FR gets better and slope is like 4db instead of 8db. I can have them this close but I'm a bit concern about having the low frequency drivers this close to the border of screen.

Do any of you have this issue? If I bring the speakers very close to screen border, would it cause any issue???? BTW, I use dirac and it helps alot to recover but still its not completely flat.
post #5451 of 7382 Old 11-12-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
My ceiling is just 8' high. Is the SCC8 too big (close in proximity) to be used as top Atmos speaker? It will be 4' above my head.
post #5452 of 7382 Old 11-12-2016, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
My ceiling is just 8' high. Is the SCC8 too big (close in proximity) to be used as top Atmos speaker? It will be 4' above my head.
I am actually in the same situation. My HT room is in the basement with 8 foot ceilings. I have my four Atmos speakers in the four corners of my room (if you click on the bottom of my post there is a link to my room if you want to see pictures to see what I mean about my speaker location).

With the Marantz 8802 there is actually a universal setting for Atmos and DTS:X with the speakers in the exact location I have mine in. Not sure it is the ideal placement.....so if I had 10 foot ceiling I might mount them straight down from the ceiling but I think it sounds great and I have the Atmos demo disc and sounds very convincing. I like it
post #5453 of 7382 Old 11-12-2016, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am actually in the same situation. My HT room is in the basement with 8 foot ceilings. I have my four Atmos speakers in the four corners of my room (if you click on the bottom of my post there is a link to my room if you want to see pictures to see what I mean about my speaker location).

With the Marantz 8802 there is actually a universal setting for Atmos and DTS:X with the speakers in the exact location I have mine in. Not sure it is the ideal placement.....so if I had 10 foot ceiling I might mount them straight down from the ceiling but I think it sounds great and I have the Atmos demo disc and sounds very convincing. I like it
Your rear surrounds are kinda close, aren't they? Does it sound ok for being that close to you?
post #5454 of 7382 Old 11-12-2016, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Your rear surrounds are kinda close, aren't they? Does it sound ok for being that close to you?
Might be a little bit of an optical illusion. Each rear corner Atmos speaker is about 5 feet from the closest chair and probably about 10 feet from the middle two seats...where I always seat. The outside seats are for guests and kids
post #5455 of 7382 Old 11-12-2016, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Might be a little bit of an optical illusion. Each rear corner Atmos speaker is about 5 feet from the closest chair and probably about 10 feet from the middle two seats...where I always seat. The outside seats are for guests and kids
I'm referring to the floor level rear surrounds.
post #5456 of 7382 Old 11-13-2016, 08:36 AM

I think the biggest problem is that we always fill our rooms with as many seats as possible and that brings us close to the walls, at least in my case. No matter what the outside seats are going to be close to a speaker. I optimized my theater for the front 3 seats( I am usually alone anyways) and I am 7-8 feet or more from all speakers.

Audio Design Associates/Outlaw
Speakerpower SP1-4000
subs-Re audio XXX 18 IB(LT).
DIY speakers-mktheater-S10/S12s
post #5457 of 7382 Old 11-13-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

You might have missed my follow up post, so just in case I'll post again. I ordered the 4722's by mistake instead of the 4722n, so the shipped price is 1150, not the 1090 that they quoted me which was for the 4722.

In answer to your question, yes I'll have the standard CD to sell. In fact, they told me that I won't get the upgraded CD for at least 4-6 weeks. I'm totally fine with that, it will be interesting to compare the sound of the 2 CD's after getting used to the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
Thanks guys. So what's this NEW CD is and what's so good about it? Does it make a difference for those who specially use speakers for Movies?

Today, I discovered something very interesting about the speakers. After I integrated them in the system, I realized that the FR in REW was dropping up to 8db from 300-800Hz. FR wouldn't drop right away. It goes gradually down and by 600dB, its up to 8db lower and then slowing starts going up. I thought it was my room. So I took out all the panels out and tested. No matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of that 8db slope. Finally, today I found out why. Its my AT screen. Its a weive AT screen and my speakers are 8" away from it. If I take away the screen, FR is much better (almost flat). With screen on, there comes the slope. Now, if I bring the speakers very close to screen like around 1-2", FR gets better and slope is like 4db instead of 8db. I can have them this close but I'm a bit concern about having the low frequency drivers this close to the border of screen.

Do any of you have this issue? If I bring the speakers very close to screen border, would it cause any issue???? BTW, I use dirac and it helps alot to recover but still its not completely flat.

I'm wondering about this too. When I had the 215's behind the screen I wasn't too worried about the frame of the screen blocking part of one of the drivers because the crossover is so low, and the drivers are only playing from 350hz ish and down. However with the 4722's the crossover is what, around 900 hz or something like that? Like you I'm glad I have Dirac to help with that.

Quote:

My ceiling is only 7' 9" to be exact, but I'm not too worried about it. I ALWAYS watch movies reclined. I might start off sitting up at the beginning but it never lasts. That puts my head pretty far from the ceiling. I've noticed that everyone else that comes over does the same, my wife sits up a little more but she doesn't care about Atmos.
post #5458 of 7382 Old 11-13-2016, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm referring to the floor level rear surrounds.
I had a similar concern when I set them up initially but it sounds totally find and very realistic. I was afraid they would sound hot but I think some of this is minimized because of the headrest on the HT seats and so they really aren't firing directly into my ears.
post #5459 of 7382 Old 11-13-2016, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
You might have missed my follow up post, so just in case I'll post again. I ordered the 4722's by mistake instead of the 4722n, so the shipped price is 1150, not the 1090 that they quoted me which was for the 4722.

In answer to your question, yes I'll have the standard CD to sell. In fact, they told me that I won't get the upgraded CD for at least 4-6 weeks. I'm totally fine with that, it will be interesting to compare the sound of the 2 CD's after getting used to the first one.
Thanks for the heads up. That still sounds like an awesome deal.
post #5460 of 7382 Old 11-13-2016, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm wondering about this too. When I had the 215's behind the screen I wasn't too worried about the frame of the screen blocking part of one of the drivers because the crossover is so low, and the drivers are only playing from 350hz ish and down. However with the 4722's the crossover is what, around 900 hz or something like that? Like you I'm glad I have Dirac to help with that.
FYI: This is how my center comes in Dirac before and after
In Dirac

After Dirac 8dB Calibration

So, can someone please address my question. Do you see any issue having the speaker 1" away from screen???? The LF driver will be facing the lower part of screen (3.5" high frame).

Thx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirac Center.PNG
Views:	457
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1767521   Click image for larger version

Name:	dirac applied center.png
Views:	458
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1767529  

Last edited by harrisu; 11-13-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page