Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers. - Page 202 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3118Likes

post #6031 of 7396 Old 01-22-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Hopefully tomorrow br8ngs good news! I need to make a jig for recessing the waveguide I'm using (I should have already done so).
jlpowell84 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 7396 Old 01-22-2017, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
The 3-way requires a lot more room to image correctly due to the height. It will also require going active. If you can accommodate both, I am sure they sound amazing.

Yes, 3.5 metres back for the 3731 (single 15) is minimum I think. If using 3732 then it would be better with the L/F cabinet tipped on its side and running the 15's side by side - otherwise VERY tall.

@ehoeft .......have a read of this thread if you haven't already.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ter-build.html

Now back to the 4722.....
post #6033 of 7396 Old 01-22-2017, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Hopefully no more delays from JBL. Then I can finally get started. All my other parts are ready to be shipped just need the CD's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6034 of 7396 Old 01-22-2017, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 2022 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I think people take too much stock in my impressions for some reason... which makes no sense. If you read enough of my posts on different threads you quickly realize that I have no idea what I am doing and I have no skills as it relates to this hobby.

Seriously though... it's so worth the money for 250 a speaker! I couldn't resist!
And @carp I know my comment kinda put your subjective opinion on a platform. Thats simply because your descriptive impressions over last couple years were best description of what I experienced up in Washington. Thats it really, I was just simply excited to hear you say what you did along with a few others Certainly we can see the data Rob measured back awhile ago and now hear it!

I really don't know what I'm doing either!
carp likes this.
post #6035 of 7396 Old 01-22-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
Hopefully no more delays from JBL. Then I can finally get started. All my other parts are ready to be shipped just need the CD's.
I cant wait to see what you have cooked up! When i get an AT screen I will need a three way center channel speaker, not building a third huge a$$ speaker.

post #6036 of 7396 Old 01-22-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
I cant wait to see what you have cooked up! When i get an AT screen I will need a three way center channel speaker, not building a third huge a$$ speaker.
Well mine should be a smaller version of yours I believe.
post #6037 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybe View Post
I LOVE my 4722s! Watching movies at home is better than the theater (even my wife says so!). Music is great. I can't stand people who don't have them making comments about them. Thank you for the recommendation through this thread!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My wife actually said that,for the first time, a few weeks ago. Apparently my complaining of the lack of a decent theater experience in Knoxville is wearing off on her.

Quote:
Haha, I gotta watch that movie again sometime, it's been 15 years probably.

"Did you ever have a touch to lose, man!!!"

Ok, so I swapped out the center and right channel and left the stock CD in the left channel for now.

Gritty. That's how I would describe the sound of the stock CD compared to the larger one. It reminds me of when we compared the brand new Noesis from JTR at the first park GTG vs my then Elemental Designs Cinema 12. It's not as drastic of a difference as that was but it's obvious for sure. When you walk up to one speaker and put your head by the horn (low volume at the main LP, not trying to go deaf here) I could keep my head there all day on the new CD, but on the stock CD my gut instinct is to move because it's a bit harsh and gravelly in comparison.

In fact that's what this CD reminds me of, the BMS CD that the higher end JTR's use.

Anyone on the fence shouldn't hesitate to upgrade. It's so easy to hear the difference. I'll add my thanks to the list of people that are grateful to Rob for doing all the work on this, thanks man!

jlpowell, other than that it's tough for me to compare to the JTR's - audio memory being what it is. I won't know right away anyway, I'll see if over time I get addicted to listening to music like I did with the 212's and 215's.
Great to hear you like the difference between the two CD's. I have been going back and forth on making the switch WAY too long. Just when I think I am ready to do it, I read that for movie watching the difference is minimal. It has been almost a year since I heard them at Frohlich's house, so that audio memory is gone.

This past weekend I finished up the changes to my room. Added the velvet, different treatments(including the addition of diffusion and rear absorption)and the sound in my room changed....but for the good. To my ears, it is like I got new speakers. Still need to rerun ARC in my AVM60, which gets done this weekend, but it was a pleasant surprise on how things sounded. More spacious and controlled sound with things being more quiet when they needed to be.

These are great speakers and IMO, the best ones I have heard for home theater. Considering how many different sets I have had, I am glad to be happy with with I have. The itch to change the CD is still there, but the labor needed to take apart my screen wall to switch them out isn't.
carp and Frohlich like this.
post #6038 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybe View Post
I LOVE my 4722s! Watching movies at home is better than the theater (even my wife says so!). Music is great. I can't stand people who don't have them making comments about them. Thank you for the recommendation through this thread!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What amp are you using to power your 4722s?
post #6039 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrb1 View Post
What amp are you using to power your 4722s?

Marantz 7010
post #6040 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
My wife actually said that,for the first time, a few weeks ago. Apparently my complaining of the lack of a decent theater experience in Knoxville is wearing off on her.

Great to hear you like the difference between the two CD's. I have been going back and forth on making the switch WAY too long. Just when I think I am ready to do it, I read that for movie watching the difference is minimal. It has been almost a year since I heard them at Frohlich's house, so that audio memory is gone.

This past weekend I finished up the changes to my room. Added the velvet, different treatments(including the addition of diffusion and rear absorption)and the sound in my room changed....but for the good. To my ears, it is like I got new speakers. Still need to rerun ARC in my AVM60, which gets done this weekend, but it was a pleasant surprise on how things sounded. More spacious and controlled sound with things being more quiet when they needed to be.

These are great speakers and IMO, the best ones I have heard for home theater. Considering how many different sets I have had, I am glad to be happy with with I have. The itch to change the CD is still there, but the labor needed to take apart my screen wall to switch them out isn't.

It's interesting. I watched some movie clips yesterday from some 4K disks (X-Men Apocalypse and The Revenant) and also watched a lot of bad football. I wondered if I could tell the difference between the CD's for music and TV, and I could.

DD (thread starter) mentioned it before, and I agree with him. The amount of treble coming from those CD's is impressive. I turned down the treble 2 db's - not because it was harsh or sounded bad, I want to be clear there. Instead I turned it down because it just seemed like more than I needed compared to the other frequencies. I know that sounds like I'm saying it was harsh, again I am not. I hope this makes sense.

There is more clarity with speech with the new CD's, especially with consonants. Is it enough to justify 250 a pop? For me yes, but like I've said everyone hears differently so I hate to say that you would agree with me!

All this said, I'm willing to bet that the differences you have made with your room will make a much bigger improvement than switching out the CD's!
post #6041 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 07:49 AM

Also, for whatever reason I did not feel the need to turn down the treble a couple db's with music.
post #6042 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 09:13 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
Quote:
Also, for whatever reason I did not feel the need to turn down the treble a couple db's with music.
That's cuz you picked a CD with the right amount of Quads.
post #6043 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just got UPS shipping notification for my CDs !!! Yay Speaker Exchange!
NWCgrad and Molon_Labe like this.
post #6044 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I also got a notification, but mine was that I owe more money for shipping my CD's. As soon as I get home from work I will cover the shortfall and drivers will be on there way.

I had a long and convoluted purchasing history, started with two 2452H drivers and aquaplas-coated diaphragms so I could upgrade to Be at some point. I then realized I could get three of 2453H-SL drivers for around the same price. I decided three of the 2453's was better for me as I was unlikely ever to pony up the dollars for Be.
jlpowell84 likes this.

post #6045 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
Quote:
I decided three of the 2453's was better for me as I was unlikely ever to pony up the dollars for Be.
And here I thought you were dedicated to this hobby. Sheesh!
NWCgrad likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #6046 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I also got a notification, but mine was that I owe more money for shipping my CD's. As soon as I get home from work I will cover the shortfall and drivers will be on there way.

I had a long and convoluted purchasing history, started with two 2452H drivers and aquaplas-coated diaphragms so I could upgrade to Be at some point. I then realized I could get three of 2453H-SL drivers for around the same price. I decided three of the 2453's was better for me as I was unlikely ever to pony up the dollars for Be.
Me too, especially with raised price now too. I figured this is a close to perfection in a speaker I will get. Bass in these is sick!
NWCgrad likes this.
post #6047 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@notnyt I can simply put one in left and right, unplug one at a time then the other to to blind testing? I read in July you said that's not good because only some content will get to each and I need a mono source. I think I have some mono tracks on a Legacy audio sample CD...
post #6048 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
@carp

How does the 4722 w/ new CD compare to the JTR? I found the 4722 very musical post upgrade but I have never heard the JTR before. For less than $1450, I don't think the upgraded 4722 can be beat by anything in it's price range. What was the JTR cost?

I'll post more later, but as far as cost the JTR's with the high end CD are around 2200. My favorite of the line up is this one:

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/noesis-210rt/
post #6049 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
@carp

Quote:
Ok, so I swapped out the center and right channel and left the stock CD in the left channel for now.

Gritty. That's how I would describe the sound of the stock CD compared to the larger one. It reminds me of when we compared the brand new Noesis from JTR at the first park GTG vs my then Elemental Designs Cinema 12. It's not as drastic of a difference as that was but it's obvious for sure. When you walk up to one speaker and put your head by the horn (low volume at the main LP, not trying to go deaf here) I could keep my head there all day on the new CD, but on the stock CD my gut instinct is to move because it's a bit harsh and gravelly in comparison.

In fact that's what this CD reminds me of, the BMS CD that the higher end JTR's use.

Anyone on the fence shouldn't hesitate to upgrade. It's so easy to hear the difference. I'll add my thanks to the list of people that are grateful to Rob for doing all the work on this, thanks man!

jlpowell, other than that it's tough for me to compare to the JTR's - audio memory being what it is. I won't know right away anyway, I'll see if over time I get addicted to listening to music like I did with the 212's and 215's.
OUR

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #6050 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess I just earned my "JBL 2453" badge today..

Ordered a set of the 2453H-SL compression drivers. Just got the confirmation that they will be here by the end of the week.
post #6051 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One thing worth noting is the quality of construction Jeff does with JTR speakers is a cut above. I'm not saying our speakers are made like crap so no one come back saying so...But JTR's are simply built a level above and from what I have learned Jeff leans more towards the perfectionism side For hand made in USA IMO his prices are pretty dang fair! And if I had more money floating around I probably never would have tried these fat girls, I would have owned 212 Noesis LCR year one.

But honestly I am happy it turned out this way because I am addicted to this massive waveguide controlled directivity, the classic JBL mid-bass in dual 15's, and hopefully I will fall in love with the 2453H-SL CD. So perhaps I will still end up sacrificing a tiny tad of SQ/sweetness on the CD vs the BMS 4593nd (or not) but I gain WAY better mid-bass and an unrivaled massive soundstage. No sitting in middle of couch with a 12" window I must keep my head in
post #6052 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ordered a set of the 2453H-SL compression drivers. Just got the confirmation that they will be here by the end of the week.
The second wave of us was just too much peer pressure

Only a pair? trying out?
post #6053 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2387 Post(s)
Liked: 2354
How much are the 825? They come with the 2453 and dual 2226 woofers!
post #6054 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
The second wave of us was just too much peer pressure

Only a pair? trying out?
I bought three of them....In my mind a "set" of them would be three since I have three speakers.

I heard heard them at Frohlich's place and liked them. Then I keep reading all the positive reviews and even though I don't use my system for anything but movie watching, I figured it won't make them worse sounding.

Also - I just finished up a remodeling project in my room and I am getting my audio calibrated again this weekend by Chad. Figured I should get them before I have him do the audio.
post #6055 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 01:17 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:

Took you long enough. Frohlich and I both lost when we bet on when you would order the updated CDs. For as many speakers as you've gone through, I can't believe it took you this long.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #6056 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Took you long enough. Frohlich and I both lost when we bet on when you would order the updated CDs. For as many speakers as you've gone through, I can't believe it took you this long.
Blame it on the intimidation factor brought upon by the engineer/designer of my screen wall....Like someone told me, "it is like a giant puzzle"...
post #6057 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 02:00 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Blame it on the intimidation factor brought upon by the engineer/designer of my screen wall....Like someone told me, "it is like a giant puzzle"...
And I blame that on the customer. "I want to fit 3 JBL 4722s and a pair of 24s and you only have 1'x6' to work with."
Molon_Labe likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #6058 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And I blame that on the customer. "I want to fit 3 JBL 4722s and a pair of 24s and you only have 1'x6' to work with."
The customer can tend to be a bit unrealistic and a PIA at times too...

Just received my tracking information and the CD's will be here on Wednesday~
carp likes this.
post #6059 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
Quote:
We still owe each other $10 from the bet

Quote:
The customer can tend to be a bit unrealistic and a PIA at times too...

Just received my tracking information and the CD's will be here on Wednesday~
That is awesome. Hopefully you will love the CD upgrade (I know you will).......sounds like you are making quite a few upgrades overall that will take your room to even a higher level. Congrats!!!!!
post #6060 of 7396 Old 01-23-2017, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was told my packages have been shipped also. YAY!!
carp, Frohlich, jlpowell84 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page