Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers. - Page 204 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3118Likes

post #6091 of 7396 Old 01-25-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Well as I posted earlier, I couldn't do any listening to the new compression drivers right after we finished installing them due to a work meeting.

Just finished up spending some time doing some listening.

I have been working on my room from an acoustic standpoint over the last month and during the project I watched the same scenes from Deadpool and How to Train Your Dragon 2..mostly because they were out and handy.

Also - I switched out the amp I was using for a different one before listening tonight.

So I figured I would watch those same scenes again tonight.

I must say that I am impressed with what I am hearing. The current calibration with ARC is still engaged from before the room changes along with the stock CD's. I am getting things calibrated on Saturday, so that will be the real test of how much things have improved.

The differences aren't night and day, but as much as I didn't think I heard any harshness with the stock drivers, apparently I did because things were much smoother. The viking's voice in the opening scene of HTDYD 2 sounded much better tonight. Best way to describe it was it sounded "cleaner". The music in that scene was MUCH better and the sound was BIGGER....

Next was the scenes from Deadpool. Again the dialog was phenomenal. Easy to hear and not fatiguing on the ears at all. I noticed little nuances that I hadn't heard before. The scene where the doctor is talking to Ryan Reynolds and his girlfriend was very life like. Almost like they were in the room. VERY impressed with that scene.

Like I have always said, I am no professional and judge things with my ears. My ears like this upgrade and are upset at me for not doing it sooner..... I am not someone who listens to music and that was the main reason I hadn't made the jump. IMO, these do make movies sound better..

I am anxious to have Chad redo my audio calibration on Saturday and compare those same scenes again...

Hopefully this helps some of you....if you are thinking about doing the change, I HIGHLY recommend you do it.

The 4722N with the CD upgrade = an AMAZING LCR speaker. Hard to beat the performance of this combo.

Should have done it over a year ago....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 7396 Old 01-25-2017, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 445
SO I have my packages on their way. Unfortunately I seem to keep getting packages from the same order. It must have been sent in multiples. Which stinks for me because now I need to come up with more money to ship this out now.
post #6093 of 7396 Old 01-25-2017, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Well as I posted earlier, I couldn't do any listening to the new compression drivers right after we finished installing them due to a work meeting.

Just finished up spending some time doing some listening.

I have been working on my room from an acoustic standpoint over the last month and during the project I watched the same scenes from Deadpool and How to Train Your Dragon 2..mostly because they were out and handy.

Also - I switched out the amp I was using for a different one before listening tonight.

So I figured I would watch those same scenes again tonight.

I must say that I am impressed with what I am hearing. The current calibration with ARC is still engaged from before the room changes along with the stock CD's. I am getting things calibrated on Saturday, so that will be the real test of how much things have improved.

The differences aren't night and day, but as much as I didn't think I heard any harshness with the stock drivers, apparently I did because things were much smoother. The viking's voice in the opening scene of HTDYD 2 sounded much better tonight. Best way to describe it was it sounded "cleaner". The music in that scene was MUCH better and the sound was BIGGER....

Next was the scenes from Deadpool. Again the dialog was phenomenal. Easy to hear and not fatiguing on the ears at all. I noticed little nuances that I hadn't heard before. The scene where the doctor is talking to Ryan Reynolds and his girlfriend was very life like. Almost like they were in the room. VERY impressed with that scene.

Like I have always said, I am no professional and judge things with my ears. My ears like this upgrade and are upset at me for not doing it sooner..... I am not someone who listens to music and that was the main reason I hadn't made the jump. IMO, these do make movies sound better..

I am anxious to have Chad redo my audio calibration on Saturday and compare those same scenes again...

Hopefully this helps some of you....if you are thinking about doing the change, I HIGHLY recommend you do it.

The 4722N with the CD upgrade = an AMAZING LCR speaker. Hard to beat the performance of this combo.

Should have done it over a year ago....

JUST GREAT! Now I am super intrigued. I guess I am going to have to move this up in the list of upgrades!!! Thanks for the review Coach

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6094 of 7396 Old 01-25-2017, 06:57 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybe View Post
JUST GREAT! Now I am super intrigued. I guess I am going to have to move this up in the list of upgrades!!! Thanks for the review Coach
Claybe - don't listen to Coach, he always has shiny toy syndrome.
Claybe likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #6095 of 7396 Old 01-25-2017, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 2018 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
SO I have my packages on their way. Unfortunately I seem to keep getting packages from the same order. It must have been sent in multiples. Which stinks for me because now I need to come up with more money to ship this out now.
What do you mean? Like 2 CD's in one and 1 in the other or you talking bout other parts for your clones?
post #6096 of 7396 Old 01-25-2017, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Coach thanks for the impressions. More encouragement

I like the cleaner comments especially noticed in movies. And best way to test subjective opinions on yourself is content you are extremely familiar with. I will use my BD demo disc, Sheffield Labs Drum track and other music I know well.

Mine arrive Monday 1/30 and I should be off work that day!

I still can't fathom the comments 6 months ago when the 2453H-SL could not be noticed AT ALL! Even with music. Makes me wonder if they were a bad pair...I know we all hear different and setups may not be optimal...He did comment the magnets were not strong AT ALL...

I am going to buy an amp for my 4722's. Thinking staying passive will be easy and the new CD will be everything I want or close enough. Or maybe I will swap out for an LSR305 Or maybe it was an elaborate hoax???

But for real what is the best choice for around 1k?
post #6097 of 7396 Old 01-25-2017, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Yeah, apparently it is contagious around here. I have it bad!

post #6098 of 7396 Old 01-25-2017, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
What do you mean? Like 2 CD's in one and 1 in the other or you talking bout other parts for your clones?
I was told everything was shipping at once. SO yesterday after spending 300 on shipping I thought I was done. That was for four packages for my clones. Then suddenly another arrived. I havent a clue what is in what right now. I would think if they sent everything in individual boxes then I should have another arriving soon. BUT I hope not. I hope I have paid for everything I ordered to be shipped by now.
post #6099 of 7396 Old 01-25-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybe View Post
Yeah, apparently it is contagious around here. I have it bad!

And how about the most posted meme in the 4722 thread

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	benStillerDoIt - meme.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1919945  
Claybe likes this.
post #6100 of 7396 Old 01-25-2017, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was told everything was shipping at once. SO yesterday after spending 300 on shipping I thought I was done. That was for four packages for my clones. Then suddenly another arrived. I havent a clue what is in what right now. I would think if they sent everything in individual boxes then I should have another arriving soon. BUT I hope not. I hope I have paid for everything I ordered to be shipped by now.
In a meme mood Where's Frolich and Scott?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ruff meme.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1919961  
post #6101 of 7396 Old 01-25-2017, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quoted: 3728 Post(s)
Liked: 3697
Quote:
Coach thanks for the impressions. More encouragement

I like the cleaner comments especially noticed in movies. And best way to test subjective opinions on yourself is content you are extremely familiar with. I will use my BD demo disc, Sheffield Labs Drum track and other music I know well.

Mine arrive Monday 1/30 and I should be off work that day!

I still can't fathom the comments 6 months ago when the 2453H-SL could not be noticed AT ALL! Even with music. Makes me wonder if they were a bad pair...I know we all hear different and setups may not be optimal...He did comment the magnets were not strong AT ALL...

I am going to buy an amp for my 4722's. Thinking staying passive will be easy and the new CD will be everything I want or close enough. Or maybe I will swap out for an LSR305 Or maybe it was an elaborate hoax???

Unless your avr is terrible, I'm not sure I'd bother with dedicated amps if you're staying passive. Your avr has the ability to control the gain on the output stage. external amps will apply the same gain, and increase your noise floor.

What are you using now?
post #6102 of 7396 Old 01-26-2017, 12:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
Unless your avr is terrible, I'm not sure I'd bother with dedicated amps if you're staying passive. Your avr has the ability to control the gain on the output stage. external amps will apply the same gain, and increase your noise floor.

What are you using now?
Denon 4520, sounds great IMO, super quiet. Not sure how all that output gain stuff works but its always been quiet.
post #6103 of 7396 Old 01-26-2017, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quoted: 3728 Post(s)
Liked: 3697
Quote:
Denon 4520, sounds great IMO, super quiet. Not sure how all that output gain stuff works but its always been quiet.
Those measure good, I wouldn't bother going with dedicated amps.

post #6104 of 7396 Old 01-26-2017, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Listen to Coach, you will....

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

What are you using now?
I couldn't agree more with you about not needing a dedicated amp. For my setup, the amp is right next to the speakers and I have long XLR runs to where the equipment is in the back of the room. This was done due to having active speakers(Cat 12's) previously to getting the 4722's. It was much easier to go that route than try to run more speaker wire...
post #6105 of 7396 Old 01-26-2017, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked: 2153
Quote:
In a meme mood Where's Frolich and Scott?

BufordTJustice and jlpowell84 like this.
post #6106 of 7396 Old 01-26-2017, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

LOL. Found some money in my Paypal balance. SO package shipped. Unfortunately it is not enough to buy the Sanway DA2004 amp. And after playing some speakers outside for Australia day here I set everything back up inside and now my AVR has only a right channel. No left channel. Loving life right now. Will test it tomorrow with a multimeter.

Mean while doesnt everyone have their CD's and extra adaptors installed and giving us opinions yet?
post #6107 of 7396 Old 01-26-2017, 06:42 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Mean while doesnt everyone have their CD's and extra adaptors installed and giving us opinions yet?
Geez, Coach2369 went and picked his up from the UPS facility and we had them installed less than 2 hours later and he gave quick listening impressions last night. Was that not good enough for you? Demanding...

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #6108 of 7396 Old 01-26-2017, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5503 Post(s)
Liked: 5317
Quote:

You already own the best option at around 1k.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #6109 of 7396 Old 01-26-2017, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Nope, gaining that additional extension on the bottom would decrease the total RMS wattage pretty significantly.

That's right, duh, I knew that. However I bet that he would keep the 2000 watts capability which would reduce sensitivity instead like on the 210 rt or 215 rt.
post #6110 of 7396 Old 01-26-2017, 08:30 AM
Deep Sea Sound

This image was used by BeastAudio so much at one point that I thought it was a picture of himself.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0066.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1920649  

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #6111 of 7396 Old 01-26-2017, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5503 Post(s)
Liked: 5317
Quote:
This image was used by BeastAudio so much at one point that I thought it was a picture of himself.

Was that around the same time we were having a marty party?

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #6112 of 7396 Old 01-26-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Welcome to the crazy house....our master of ceremonies is Molon Labe. You will not meet a better guy or crazier HT nut
Quote:
Well stated Frohlich....

That is quite an accurate statement. At one point he was trying to figure out how to hang 4722's from his ceiling..
Quote:
Personally I think he gave up too soon as it was definitely doable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Lets not skip on the introductions so Gearpro has a good sense for who he is dealing with.

Coach2369 - VP of equipment flipping and part time golfer

Dgage - Ambassador of all things bass and thunder. Fan of the bottome half of SEC teams
Quote:
And don't forget:

Frohlich - National Director of Operations, specializing in room changing demos.....and part time golfer.
Old replays reviewing the thread still

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
You already own the best option at around 1k.
You mean my 4520? Yea I guess you guys are right I figured I would just buy something if I sell the DSi amps. But I won't have an Atmos room for years now so the 4520 will serve me (hopefully) until then

Thanks for the graph and advice Rob.

@carp , any new impressions? Feeling that draw/pull for music again since selling your 215RT's and living with the 2432H CD?
Frohlich likes this.
post #6113 of 7396 Old 01-26-2017, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
The 4722 with the upgraded CD is much more than a "living with" speaker. I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised.
Yes I am anticipating so

"Living with" Comment was the 2432 CD and best way I could describe my own personal experience. To be fair nothing has been setup optimally albeit I have found a little bit of a nice anomaly in a lopsided living room...In a perfect symmetry room, methodically treated with organic EQ, seating distance in respect to room modes, Perhaps a baffle wall, and the icing of electronic EQ I would expect the 2432 CD to make a decent jump.

But as has been said distortion is distortion and the general 'gravely' sound at times is what it is. For me the tight bass, tight midbass, biggest soundstage period, dynamics have been insanely amazing but the CD as we all know has still effected it for me personally as "living with" and not "In Love" with the speaker I truly hope I am satisfied...

Felt right to edit in that the 2432 in no slouch. For anyone coming after or casually following this is deeper down the rabbit hole but an inexspensive hole

Last edited by jlpowell84; 01-26-2017 at 11:08 PM.
post #6114 of 7396 Old 01-27-2017, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was one of those folks that thought I didn't need to get the upgraded compression driver because I thought my speakers sounded great and they did. Switching the CD's out added more than I was expected it to to be quite honest, which is awesome!

IMO, anyone that is looking at these speakers should budget in the additional cost to pick up these 2453's and install them from day one. The stock drivers should be pretty easy to sell. I posted mine two days ago and have sold two of them with the third about to sell. Deduct what I am getting back for them and the price is extremely minimal. The great thing is, you will have a special set of LCR speakers that will make you grin with happiness. It wasn't until I switched the drivers out that I realized what was missing because believe me, I thought things sounded great before hand.

Now this next comment will probably be argued and could upset some folks but oh well it is my opinion. I have had the opportunity to demo some Gold and Platinum Triad speakers over the past few years. The one thing that I always loved about them were the amazing highs they produced. I really think my JBL speakers, with the 2453 CD, sound as good as those did. Again, just my opinion and that is all.
Frohlich likes this.
post #6115 of 7396 Old 01-27-2017, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was one of those folks that thought I didn't need to get the upgraded compression driver because I thought my speakers sounded great and they did. Switching the CD's out added more than I was expected it to to be quite honest, which is awesome!

IMO, anyone that is looking at these speakers should budget in the additional cost to pick up these 2453's and install them from day one. The stock drivers should be pretty easy to sell. I posted mine two days ago and have sold two of them with the third about to sell. Deduct what I am getting back for them and the price is extremely minimal. The great thing is, you will have a special set of LCR speakers that will make you grin with happiness. It wasn't until I switched the drivers out that I realized what was missing because believe me, I thought things sounded great before hand.

Now this next comment will probably be argued and could upset some folks but oh well it is my opinion. I have had the opportunity to demo some Gold and Platinum Triad speakers over the past few years. The one thing that I always loved about them were the amazing highs they produced. I really think my JBL speakers, with the 2453 CD, sound as good as those did. Again, just my opinion and that is all.
I can't stress this enough. If you sell the stock drivers the cost of the upgrade is next to nothing and the work to swap the CDs takes 30 minutes tops for 3 speakers. It is a total no brainer!!!

Glad you are loving the upgrades....and finally listened to me after a year
post #6116 of 7396 Old 01-27-2017, 06:19 AM

How much are people selling the stock CD's for?
post #6117 of 7396 Old 01-27-2017, 06:24 AM

Went to a friends house to make the spacers (well, he made them) yesterday so I plan on putting the CD's back in this weekend and getting all the insulation loaded up behind the screen. That should be the last upgrade to the room for a long time. Oh wait. I think I might buy another Crowson today. And... NOW that's the last upgrade for awhile.
post #6118 of 7396 Old 01-27-2017, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Went to a friends house to make the spacers (well, he made them) yesterday so I plan on putting the CD's back in this weekend and getting all the insulation loaded up behind the screen. That should be the last upgrade to the room for a long time. Oh wait. I think I might buy another Crowson today. And... NOW that's the last upgrade for awhile.
carp, Frohlich and BllDo like this.
post #6119 of 7396 Old 01-27-2017, 06:39 AM

post #6120 of 7396 Old 01-27-2017, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
How much are people selling the stock CD's for?
It has been a year but I think one sold for around $150 and the other two around $125. I sold them on EBAY. I just used the boxes for the 2453H SL and used those for easy shipping. Mine all sold in under a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page