Originally Posted by beastaudio
SOOO Glad to hear about this. Any chance Chad could pop in here and post his calibration results like he has before? Or do you have the room response graphs he captured that you could post? I'm just curious to see how it all turned out compared to previous setups of yours
Here are the audio measurements. I used variable smoothing in all the attached screenshots, but during the calibration I used either no smoothing (while averaging the curves and working with the LFE channel) or either 1/12th or 1/6th octave smoothing for most other work. We wanted a very strong midbass, so I modified my normal house curve calibration goal accordingly. The LFE channel's measurement was offset by -10 dB to give correct relative matching with the other channels. While previously I had calibrated by averaging the response across the 3 front row seats, this time I took a set of 3 measurements clustered around the Main Listening Position for each channel. In other words, each channel's measurement at the exact MLP was averaged with another measurement about 6 inches to the right and 2 inches higher and another measurement about 6 inches to the left, 2 inches lower, and 2 inches forward.
I started by running Audyssey just to get an accurate distance calculation and a rough starting point for the levels. Then I turned off all Audyssey EQ, processing, and bass management, and then took the before calibration measurements of each channel. I am attaching the before calibration screenshots of all channels together and also each channel individually.
After my first calibration pass of EQ and bass management done in the NanoAVR, I retook all the measurements at the same microphone positions. I am attaching all the same after measurements. I always leave an EQ band free in each channel of the NanoAVR to allow for some final tweaking, so the first pass is made utilizing 9 of the 10 available parametric EQ bands. I made a few tweaks to many of the channels based on these after calibration results and will list the tweaks here. In other words, these after calibration results are close to, but not quite the final results, because they do not incluse the final tweaks listed below.
Final tweaks were:
Left: tweaked bass management to smooth and raise mid/upper bass, added eq band 730 Hz, 2.5Q, -.8 dB
Right: lowered relative level by 1.5 dB, added eq band High Shelf, 10KHz, +1.9 dB
Center: left alone
LFE: added eq band at 34 Hz, Q2, -3 dB (going by memory, this was determined in the listening tests where we determined there was too much bass)
Rear left: tweaked bass management
Rear right: added eq band 2551 Hz, 8 Q, +3 dB
Left surround and right surround: left alone