Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers. - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3273Likes

post #1591 of 7616 Old 08-16-2015, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I don't think there is a "right" answer. I have 4 JTR T8 for surrounds and 2 SCS 8 for Atmos and I could easily live with all SCS 8 for surrounds/Atmos (and the SCS 8 are priced much better). I considered going to all SCS 8 but when I had my basement finished I specifically had the space built for the T8 so to move to SCS 8 would require some lite remodeling and just isn't worth it to me. I would say from a cash perspective, go all SCS 8. I don't think you are giving up any performance and pocketing some cash in the process.
Which surround do you think I should go for? I currently have two dsi 2000 to power these surrounds. One is currently powering the pair of slanted 8s and the other dsi2000 just sitting there collecting dust. Do it think I should get the sc8, sc12 or the 8350 speakers? I decided I will go full Jbl and just need to know what to buy. Now I need to sell my slanted 8s also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 7616 Old 08-16-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2028 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen0220 View Post
Which surround do you think I should go for? I currently have two dsi 2000 to power these surrounds. One is currently powering the pair of slanted 8s and the other dsi2000 just sitting there collecting dust. Do it think I should get the sc8, sc12 or the 8350 speakers? I decided I will go full Jbl and just need to know what to buy. Now I need to sell my slanted 8s also.
I'm right here with you researching these JBL surrounds. It seems they are all great speakers. One JTR owner just mentioned he has a pair of 8340's running heights. They advertise as down to 75hz extension but Audyssey sets his to 60hz so thats good info as the boundary gain helps that. Deeper is better for surrounds. I am a bit confused as the smaller 8320 models advertise as deeper extension than any other surround there is on the Pro sight. The 8340a, 8350, SCS8, SCS12. The only other with deeper extension is probably the best surround JBL offers, the 9320 model.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/c...0#.VdFEI2A-DeQ

I might do my best and build my framing to accept these babies if I can get a good quote on them.
post #1593 of 7616 Old 08-16-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
I'm right here with you researching these JBL surrounds. It seems they are all great speakers. One JTR owner just mentioned he has a pair of 8340's running heights. They advertise as down to 75hz extension but Audyssey sets his to 60hz so thats good info as the boundary gain helps that. Deeper is better for surrounds. I am a bit confused as the smaller 8320 models advertise as deeper extension than any other surround there is on the Pro sight. The 8340a, 8350, SCS8, SCS12. The only other with deeper extension is probably the best surround JBL offers, the 9320 model.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/c...0#.VdFEI2A-DeQ

I might do my best and build my framing to accept these babies if I can get a good quote on them.
Hmmm those speakers does look good. Let me know if you figure out anything about them. Maybe we can get some good discount together

Anyway this is the first I heard that deeper is better for surround. I thought if you have decent subs setup, it's best to crossover them at 80hz? It doesn't make sense for the subs to only play bass for LCR and let the small surround speakers handle their own bass huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1594 of 7616 Old 08-16-2015, 07:59 PM

I realized these dsi have active presets for 8340a surround speakers. Maybe I should buy 4 of these since I have 2 dsi 2000 to run them active. A pair per amp
post #1595 of 7616 Old 08-16-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm those speakers does look good. Let me know if you figure out anything about them. Maybe we can get some good discount together

Anyway this is the first I heard that deeper is better for surround. I thought if you have decent subs setup, it's best to crossover them at 80hz? It doesn't make sense for the subs to only play bass for LCR and let the small surround speakers handle their own bass huh?
Your subs will still play up to 80HZ, the surrounds are not "left on their own." But a surround that is more capable of playing lower ca recreate more content. Think of a tiny little Bose cube or some $15 Walmart RCA surround. Say you hooked it up and ran them, then subbed in you S8's or some of these capable JBL surrounds. Obviously Sound Quality will be better but also the sound will be fuller, deeper, more impactful, and recreate surround content with authority and not sound anemic. A speaker still has a "tailing" off effect below the crossover point.

Quote:
I realized these dsi have active presets for 8340a surround speakers. Maybe I should buy 4 of these since I have 2 dsi 2000 to run them active. A pair per amp
You need a single amp per speaker to run active right? How does it work with the JBL surrounds? How do you bypass the passive crossover network? An entire setup running active would be sweet, but for me not cost effective. I plan on DSI 1000's for 4722-LCR then passive for surrounds. I really like the thought of those bigger surrounds and would be willing to notch my framing job so the surrounds could "set in" the wall a little. It's all gonna depend on price though. For example if they are a decent jump from the SCS8 or 83xx series I will say with them as they are capable surrounds. I just like the thought of running JBL Pro all around.
post #1596 of 7616 Old 08-16-2015, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 364
My audiophile snob brother came down from California this week on business. On Friday night we had a movie marathon along with a couple hours of listening to two channel music with one SI 24 sub on. He came in talking about how large their form factor was and asking if they were club speakers.

Needless to say after hearing them he was very impressed by their articulation and dynamics at low volume levels with both home theater and music. Now he stated he will be selling his Bowers and Wilkins setup next week and purchasing a lcr of JBL 4722n speakers and potentially one SI 24 sub if he has room.

Another satisfied customer.
Wrager, carp, Frohlich and 2 others like this.
post #1597 of 7616 Old 08-16-2015, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Quote:
The next step would be to talk to Rich at falcon screens for some material to go DIY, I know @jbrown15 did so. I'm not able to pay the money for the expensive screens some do.
I've had two Falcon screens and about to order my third for my new house, I actually have always bought the screen and frame. No DIY stuff for me, and in my honest opinion the Falcon screens are worth every penny. Rich won't sell the new Horizon screen material to the DIY market, you have to buy a complete screen for him to get that material. And in my opinion it's worth it. I loved my 2.35:1 Horizon screen.
post #1598 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I've had two Falcon screens and about to order my third for my new house, I actually have always bought the screen and frame. No DIY stuff for me, and in my honest opinion the Falcon screens are worth every penny. Rich won't sell the new Horizon screen material to the DIY market, you have to buy a complete screen for him to get that material. And in my opinion it's worth it. I loved my 2.35:1 Horizon screen.
I have no idea what they cost, that will dictate everything. I hope its not like the other high end name brands lol!
post #1599 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Another satisfied customer here of Falcon screens. I also have the Horizon AT material and could not be happier. I also believe Coach just switched to Falcon and Beastaudio was one of the first to try the new Horizon AT material. Can't go wrong
post #1600 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 2682 Post(s)
Liked: 3075
Swolephile,
I know your an advocate of the Yamaha amps and I am using 4 of the babies in my HT and they are fantastic! Gotta give you props!
post #1601 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Swolephile,
I know your an advocate of the Yamaha amps and I am using 4 of the babies in my HT and they are fantastic! Gotta give you props!
You must have got a good deal on them MK, Couldn't see you paying retail As in I know your a bargain hunter/value seeker.
post #1602 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Another satisfied customer here of Falcon screens. I also have the Horizon AT material and could not be happier. I also believe Coach just switched to Falcon and Beastaudio was one of the first to try the new Horizon AT material. Can't go wrong
It is Rich right? Who sells them. And what was his AVS name?
post #1603 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 2682 Post(s)
Liked: 3075
Used baby! It is easy to get great sound while spending money, get it for much less is the challenge. Sometimes I just bite the bullet and spend but for some reason I find it fun to find bargains even if I don't need it! Just audio and video though, nothing else.
post #1604 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Quote:
It is Rich right? Who sells them. And what was his AVS name?
Correct, Rich owns the company ("Snickers1" is his handle on AVS). I bought straight through the Falcon website and talked to Rich. I believe AVS is also a dealer. Rich was very prompt with all his communication and responses and I love the product. I would recommend the Horizon AT material to anybody on AVS looking for an AT screen with no reservations.
post #1605 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 09:37 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
I have the SCS 8 for Atmos. Bought the 4722 and the SCS 8 from Full compass. Can't remember the exact price but it was way below retail....I think around 40% off retail??? I will say they are very capable speakers and if you look at some of the JBL demo's for Atmos at trade shows like CEDIA that is what they use for surrounds and Atmos.
Nice just not very Design and Wife friendly
post #1606 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Swolephile,
Yep. They are the bee's knees when it comes to sound quality in my opinion.
post #1607 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 720 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3676 Post(s)
Liked: 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
My audiophile snob brother came down from California this week on business. On Friday night we had a movie marathon along with a couple hours of listening to two channel music with one SI 24 sub on. He came in talking about how large their form factor was and asking if they were club speakers.

Needless to say after hearing them he was very impressed by their articulation and dynamics at low volume levels with both home theater and music. Now he stated he will be selling his Bowers and Wilkins setup next week and purchasing a lcr of JBL 4722n speakers and potentially one SI 24 sub if he has room.

Another satisfied customer.

Love it.

I'm surprised he allowed himself to like them!! Those guys usually hear more with their eyes than their ears.
post #1608 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 1729
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Love it.

I'm surprised he allowed himself to like them!! Those guys usually hear more with their eyes than their ears.
I still remember the look on some of the people that came into my exhibition room at Axpona and THE Show Newport. Pure disgust. Like I was committing human sacrifice in the room. They would probably rather die than consider the fact that a 24" sub can sound phenomenal with music.
Shadowed likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #1609 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
Yep. They are the bee's knees when it comes to sound quality in my opinion.
So considering you auditioned the Jubilees there is a streak in you maybe wanting more. Of course you have been very open and descriptive about this and everything about the JBL's. I know you are highly satisfied with your Yamaha amp but have you considered running active at all? Ever tempted to try the DSI's?
post #1610 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I still remember the look on some of the people that came into my exhibition room at Axpona and THE Show Newport. Pure disgust. Like I was committing human sacrifice in the room. They would probably rather die than consider the fact that a 24" sub can sound phenomenal with music.
Well you know the subs moves slower causing it to not be "as punchy" or "fast" as say some small 10" woofers. I remember all the sayings at the local car audio store. It's amazing what humans accept as fact based of hearsay. Especially in the world of audiophilia. I'm with @beastaudio that it's the closest thing to cult type religion than anything else in the world.
post #1611 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2733
Actually that's true. Generally smaller woofers have the same motors as bigger ones due to economies of scale but the smaller come and mass of the smaller woofer makes them faster, which is really a byproduct of transient response.

It's not always true, it's certainly possible to have a bigger woofer that's got a lot of motor but that costs a lot of money so it's rare.
post #1612 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 04:55 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 1729
Quote:
Well you know the subs moves slower causing it to not be "as punchy" or "fast" as say some small 10" woofers. I remember all the sayings at the local car audio store. It's amazing what humans accept as fact based of hearsay. Especially in the world of audiophilia. I'm with @beastaudio that it's the closest thing to cult type religion than anything else in the world.
I tell you, I went into some of the rooms and had to understand what I was seeing. "Why do you hold the wires up off the ground 2-3 inches with the channels? Yes it looks nice, is that why you do it? Oh, you do it to reduce interference? Really, the floor has an electromagnetic field that is causing interference and 3" will improve the sound? Oh, ok, sure. Have you been watching X-Files reruns again?"
Shadowed likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #1613 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I tell you, I went into some of the rooms and had to understand what I was seeing. "Why do you hold the wires up off the ground 2-3 inches with the channels? Yes it looks nice, is that why you do it? Oh, you do it to reduce interference? Really, the floor has an electromagnetic field that is causing interference and 3" will improve the sound? Oh, ok, sure. Have you been watching X-Files reruns again?"
Yeah those guys are nuts.
post #1614 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Actually that's true. Generally smaller woofers have the same motors as bigger ones due to economies of scale but the smaller come and mass of the smaller woofer makes them faster, which is really a byproduct of transient response.

It's not always true, it's certainly possible to have a bigger woofer that's got a lot of motor but that costs a lot of money so it's rare.
So we should all have 10's in our theaters? Maybe 12's max? I'm just kidding! Whiskey talk @Molon_Labe

In all seriousness I am curious of you scientific analyzation of my other thread I linked you in. Seems like so many variables to try to understand!
post #1615 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah those guys are nuts.
Like I said, the Beastaudio quote is seriously true! AUDIOPHILIA IS THE CLOSEST THING TO CULT RELIGION ON THE PLANET!" I swear I seen those popsicle sticks built to hold wires up sell for like $50 each!!!! We are talking about freaking 0.08 cents in wood!!! Some "moon" website has some ridiculous reviews of audio gear. Can you believe people pay $6,500 for a power conditioner? tens of thousands for amps because, "they sound warm and inviting." It's a crazy world and honestly I see it creep into the world of cheaper speakers too.

Last edited by jlpowell84; 08-18-2015 at 02:06 PM.
post #1616 of 7616 Old 08-17-2015, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So considering you auditioned the Jubilees there is a streak in you maybe wanting more. Of course you have been very open and descriptive about this and everything about the JBL's. I know you are highly satisfied with your Yamaha amp but have you considered running active at all? Ever tempted to try the DSI's?
I love my Yamaha amp. And I'm very picky about fidelity. With that being said I would be willing to go active if I were to upgrade to JBL 5732 speakers.
post #1617 of 7616 Old 08-18-2015, 03:50 AM

You misunderstood me.

I was making the broad generalization that's very often true, and just pointing it out as usually being fact.

It didn't mean to use small 10" woofers!

If you take a look in most sub makers (both car audio and home) they often use the same motor system on more than one size.

Example: 10", 12", and 15"
Or
15" and 18"
Or,
18" and 24"

Particularly for the value products the smaller woofer cone size and mass is more easily controlled so those drivers have a better transient response than the bigger versions. Transient response is a byproduct and area of concern of how "fast" a sub sounds. Another word is "tight"

But if im being honest I hate both those words.

Like I said just because this is all true doesn't mean you could not have a purpose specific exception where the bigger woofer had enough motor ratio to control that mass and cone. The only problem is its $$$ so it's rare.

I think even the 24" shares the motor of the HST18.
Model them in a horn or ported or ultra smal box you start to see some differences. Speakers about about application so as long as you match the driver to the design and play to its strengths it's going to work well. Everyone knows the 24" can kick some butt. Well everyone except the speaker wire stand crowd
post #1618 of 7616 Old 08-18-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You misunderstood me.

I was making the broad generalization that's very often true, and just pointing it out as usually being fact.

It didn't mean to use small 10" woofers!

If you take a look in most sub makers (both car audio and home) they often use the same motor system on more than one size.

Example: 10", 12", and 15"
Or
15" and 18"
Or,
18" and 24"

Particularly for the value products the smaller woofer cone size and mass is more easily controlled so those drivers have a better transient response than the bigger versions. Transient response is a byproduct and area of concern of how "fast" a sub sounds. Another word is "tight"

But if im being honest I hate both those words.

Like I said just because this is all true doesn't mean you could not have a purpose specific exception where the bigger woofer had enough motor ratio to control that mass and cone. The only problem is its $$$ so it's rare.

I think even the 24" shares the motor of the HST18.
Model them in a horn or ported or ultra smal box you start to see some differences. Speakers about about application so as long as you match the driver to the design and play to its strengths it's going to work well. Everyone knows the 24" can kick some butt. Well everyone except the speaker wire stand crowd
I knew what you meant, I was being facetious
post #1619 of 7616 Old 08-18-2015, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
I just watched about 45 minutes of Ghost Protocol and I had forgotten how awesome the video and audio is in this movie.. The JBL;s, Mariana's and the Falcon screen REALLY shined.

Wish I had time to finish watching the movie tonight, but have more work to do..
jlpowell84 likes this.
post #1620 of 7616 Old 08-18-2015, 09:59 PM

Since I have a pretty big room, around 20k cubic feet due to all the open areas, what would be the best surround speakers for the 4722s? I currently have a pair of slanted 8s and thinking about getting another pair to make it 7.1 but the more I think about it, isn't the Jbl 8320 better for my setup? I'm sure Jbl surrounds probably work better with Jbl fronts right?

Also the jtr only goes down to 70hz. I heard the lower the surrounds go, the better the setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page