Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers. - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3273Likes

post #1621 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2028 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen0220 View Post
Since I have a pretty big room, around 20k cubic feet due to all the open areas, what would be the best surround speakers for the 4722s? I currently have a pair of slanted 8s and thinking about getting another pair to make it 7.1 but the more I think about it, isn't the Jbl 8320 better for my setup? I'm sure Jbl surrounds probably work better with Jbl fronts right?

Also the jtr only goes down to 70hz. I heard the lower the surrounds go, the better the setup.
I mentioned it's nice to have capable surrounds that can dig deeper. Naturally a larger better performing across the FR range, and of course the speaker has a good sounding HF device and non distorting woofer, will perform with ease and give it a "bigger" presence. I have a Definitive Technology 5.1 HTIB set. I set up the tiny littler speakers in the height and wide positions. While they did add effect and a bump in the experience it was very minimal. Decent little HTIB set (trying to sell ) but they were crossed over at 120 or 140 as recommended by Audyssey. This gave them a small presence in the lineup compared to JTR mains and Volt 10 surround speakers.

So IMO your surrounds need to be highly sensitive like your mains to match well. Your JTR S8 is a great speaker and honestly probably has more money into the components than JBL does. But I have read numerous people happy with the JBL surrounds. Not sure anyone got the 8320, 8350 yes I know a few who had them. I also read one person who didn't really care for them. But they are not 1k like an S8, on sale for 900 right now. Another viable option is the DIY Sound Groups Volt 10 speaker. It is the exact same design as the S8 JTR but under $200 for the kit. Just need a Saturday and you have a pair for $420! I am awaiting quotes on all 6 JBL surround speakers in the Pro Cinema line. I will share with you once I hear, should be tomm or Thursday.

And the JBL works better with JBL statement really is only true if you have identical speakers or speakers very alike. The 8320 is lower sensitivity and lower max SPL. I personally wouldn't do any lesser than the 8340 or 8350 as they have a higher sensitivity rating and higher max SPL so you won't run into compression or distortion. I have tried several surround speakers with my JTR mains (gone now and 4722's on their way!) and once I got the higher sensitive Volt 10's it was a whole different level of surround activity.

It seems the best surround in the Pro Cinema line up is the 9320. 12" woofer with a 120x60 dispersion pattern, 98db sensitive, 124 db rating. The S8 has the best stats but costs more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I have been after these for a while, they are much older: https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttach...AC18_26.v1.pdf
Pricing is typically $900 ea, ouch. I have missed a few used or refurbed versions.
post #1623 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
So IMO your surrounds need to be highly sensitive like your mains to match well. Your JTR S8 is a great speaker and honestly probably has more money into the components than JBL does. But I have read numerous people happy with the JBL surrounds. Not sure anyone got the 8320, 8350 yes I know a few who had them. I also read one person who didn't really care for them. But they are not 1k like an S8, on sale for 900 right now. Another viable option is the DIY Sound Groups Volt 10 speaker. It is the exact same design as the S8 JTR but under $200 for the kit. Just need a Saturday and you have a pair for $420! I am awaiting quotes on all 6 JBL surround speakers in the Pro Cinema line. I will share with you once I hear, should be tomm or Thursday.

I have tried several surround speakers with my JTR mains (gone now and 4722's on their way!) and once I got the higher sensitive Volt 10's it was a whole different level of surround activity.

It seems the best surround in the Pro Cinema line up is the 9320. 12" woofer with a 120x60 dispersion pattern, 98db sensitive, 124 db rating. The S8 has the best stats but costs more.
I figured I could offer my 2 cents...if it's worth that much. I agree with everything you've said. Including timber matching.. a brand label doesn't make it timber matched. It's not important IMO to worry about the surrounds being matched to the front 3. Although If you can fit 7 3677 all around the room then get after it.. Heck I almost did just that..with 5 though!

I've owned the 8340a and 8330a. Now keep in mind I demo mine as mains and test them for a while to makes sure they pass the mustard before they move on to surrounds. I've had my share of speakers and only the 3677 and QSC 2150 have quenched my thirst.

IMO.. the 8340a is downright nasty and not in a good way. In my treated room I found it harsh and just not acceptable, although it had great vocals and detail. The 8330a was smoother but still a tad offensive but just had a tiny sound.

And I also have a pair of Volt 10s, they are hands down superior to the JBL 8340a, 8330a. I also have 8 Volt 10lx speakers (surrounds,rear,atmos) I demoed them for a few months as mains and they are a steal at 3x the price and are better than most consumer mains I've owned especially for HT. For surrounds...they are fantastic.

NOw I have heard the JBLs used in the ATMO demo rooms (can't remember the model) are very nice. And I love the 3677, and overall I'm a huge JBL fan, I just wouldn't use the pro surrounds I've owned unless my boat needed an anchor... Just being honest. I blanket the above with IMO!

Last edited by cdy2179; 08-19-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1624 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
I figured I could offer my 2 cents...if it's worth that much. I agree with everything you've said. Including timber matching.. a brand label doesn't make it timber matched. It's not important IMO to worry about the surrounds being matched to the front 3. Although If you can fit 7 3677 all around the room then get after it.. Heck I almost did just that..with 5 though!

I've owned the 8340a and 8330a. Now keep in mind I demo mine as mains and test them for a while to makes sure they pass the mustard before they move on to surrounds. I've had my share of speakers and only the 3677 and QSC 2150 have quenched my thirst.

IMO.. the 8340a is downright nasty and not in a good way. In my treated room I found it harsh and just not acceptable, although it had great vocals and detail. The 8330a was smoother but still a tad offensive but just had a tiny sound.

And I also have a pair of Volt 10s, they are hands down superior to the JBL 8340a, 8330a. I also have 8 Volt 10lx speakers (surrounds,rear,atmos) I demoed them for a few months as mains and they are a steal at 3x the price and are better than most consumer mains I've owned especially for HT. For surrounds...they are fantastic.

NOw I have heard the JBLs used in the ATMO demo rooms (can't remember the model) are very nice. And I love the 3677, and overall I'm a huge JBL fan, I just wouldn't use the pro surrounds I've owned unless my boat needed an anchor... Just being honest. I blanket the above with IMO!
You definitely have tested your fair share of surround speakers.

I have had the 8340A's in my room for just about two years now. My opinion of them is different. I think they do a great job in my room. My room is treated, but maybe not as good as other rooms. Since I paid $100 each for them, they were a tremendous value to say the least.

If you jump over to the Dedicated Theater Build Thread you will see ChopShop's thread. He is building a large theater room that will utilize JBL pro speakers. If I remember correctly, he has had the 8320's recommended to him as his surround speaker.

One thing I have learned over the last 18 months in regards to this hobby is that everybody has a different idea of what they think is a "good" or "great" speaker and their is not a right or wrong answer.
post #1625 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
You definitely have tested your fair share of surround speakers.

I have had the 8340A's in my room for just about two years now. My opinion of them is different. I think they do a great job in my room. My room is treated, but maybe not as good as other rooms. Since I paid $100 each for them, they were a tremendous value to say the least.

If you jump over to the Dedicated Theater Build Thread you will see ChopShop's thread. He is building a large theater room that will utilize JBL pro speakers. If I remember correctly, he has had the 8320's recommended to him as his surround speaker.

One thing I have learned over the last 18 months in regards to this hobby is that everybody has a different idea of what they think is a "good" or "great" speaker and their is not a right or wrong answer.
I gotcha, That's why I put a blanket "IMO". I've always been curious about the 8320. Anyways I know many love the 8340a. Maybe if I woulda only tried them as surrounds I would have liked them better. They do have an extremely detailed big sound.
post #1626 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very nice comment on the JBL surrounds guys, certainly appreciate honesty. I am probably leaning towards the new Volt 10LX as I can get four kits with slanted enclosure flat packs for $720. I imagine even the cheapest JBL quote I would get is the 8320's and prob will be twice that much. If it was justified I would go for it but IMO the Volt's perform very well! Time will tell

Well it's been a week tomm and my 4722's are still "awaiting fulfillment." I wonder if JBL got back ordered from all of us
post #1627 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2733
120 vs 90 degrees a problem ?

How about scs8?
post #1628 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very nice comment on the JBL surrounds guys, certainly appreciate honesty. I am probably leaning towards the new Volt 10LX as I can get four kits with slanted enclosure flat packs for $720. I imagine even the cheapest JBL quote I would get is the 8320's and prob will be twice that much. If it was justified I would go for it but IMO the Volt's perform very well! Time will tell

Well it's been a week tomm and my 4722's are still "awaiting fulfillment." I wonder if JBL got back ordered from all of us
Are you installing in columns or going Atmos?
post #1629 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you installing in columns or going Atmos?
Doing columns and at minimum will be pre wiring for Atmos. Volts price may allow me to go Atmos out of the gate but if I am being financially realistic it may be a year or two until I'm Atmos capable.

Plan on 4 columns minimum, maybe 6 for a spot for wides. But I plan on maybe up to 17ft wide screen wall with 12ft seating distance. I would need to model out where the correct placement for wides would be. Maybe I can slant the sides at a 45 and have a spot for wides.

I am discussing having woofers 12" or 15" in the four rear columns on my thread in the DIY section. If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it. I know it may be getting old at this point and I apologize if so. I'm just enjoying thinking out loud what would be cool to do And most important what would be most effective.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ub-idea-4.html
post #1630 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Doing columns and at minimum will be pre wiring for Atmos. Volts price may allow me to go Atmos out of the gate but if I am being financially realistic it may be a year or two until I'm Atmos capable.

Plan on 4 columns minimum, maybe 6 for a spot for wides. But I plan on maybe up to 17ft wide screen wall with 12ft seating distance. I would need to model out where the correct placement for wides would be. Maybe I can slant the sides at a 45 and have a spot for wides.

I am discussing having woofers 12" or 15" in the four rear columns on my thread in the DIY section. If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it. I know it may be getting old at this point and I apologize if so. I'm just enjoying thinking out loud what would be cool to do And most important what would be most effective.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ub-idea-4.html
Dont do like I did and build the angled boxes. I had to redo mine. Atmos calls for surrounds and rears to be mounted at ear to just above ear level when seated aimed straight with no angle. Also as you'll see the volts are very easy to install for atmos.

For subs ideally you want all the same to match so they have the same response so the smoothing effect is continuous as the frequency drops.

You may want more columns depending on how you attach your GOM, it's a perfect place to hide the edges and the gom is only 66 " or so wide.

Last edited by cdy2179; 08-19-2015 at 05:13 PM.
post #1631 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I heard from RMC that 4722N is out of stock from JBL. No real estimate on when they'll be available (30+ days on my quote).
post #1632 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothman View Post
I heard from RMC that 4722N is out of stock from JBL. No real estimate on when they'll be available (30+ days on my quote).
Damn, Tomm will be one week since I paid and it says, "Awaiting Fulfillment." I haven't heard from Eric at RMC (I ordered through him also) about when they will ship out. Your post is news to me. I hope we get the same goodness on our batch of 4722's all these happy campers have (no crappy quality control or anything). Thats okay though, Erik expressed to me he is pretty slammed right now and I have no worries about anything. Was looking forward to hearing them this weekend but I suppose whats another 5-8 weeks maybe. I also asked for quotes on all the 6 surround models and want to find out if he can get these good prices on Pro amps for subwoofers as well.

I think I called it though a couple days ago that because all of the activity on AVS JBL was going to be out of 4722!
post #1633 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
120 vs 90 degrees a problem ?

How about scs8?
You mean dispersion pattern on the Volt 10 is 120?

What about these as surrounds from DIY Sound Group? They are 98.5db sensitive, dual 8" woofers and they have the Denovo DNA360 CD that many people are very happy with on mains. Seems like a significant step up over the Volt 10. Yea it's bigger but if performance is significantly better seems to be worth it. Also has the smaller SEOS the DNA360 mounts too.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...ecial-kit.html
post #1634 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dont do like I did and build the angled boxes. I had to redo mine. Atmos calls for surrounds and rears to be mounted at ear to just above ear level when seated aimed straight with no angle. Also as you'll see the volts are very easy to install for atmos.

For subs ideally you want all the same to match so they have the same response so the smoothing effect is continuous as the frequency drops.

You may want more columns depending on how you attach your GOM, it's a perfect place to hide the edges and the gom is only 66 " or so wide.
I currently have my two Volt 10's sitting about 2.5ft above ear height when sitting. They are not angled down and I have been very pleased with them. Of course I think I don't count too much because I have never had decent surround speakers. But I trust some on these forums and I have read quotes like, "Yea the JTR Single 8 is better, better clarity, better everything, but not really that much better. Maybe if it was used as a main but for surrounds I don't feel there is a big difference."

But I also respect comments from Swolephile where he mentions most people have never heard a system with top line surrounds that are very capable, or all matching speakers. I guess I need to build slow and just buy more 4722's over the years lol! But IMO a properly built system with good mains and good subwoofer system that as long as the surrounds are decent and can match performance in the handling of peaks in the dynamic range it will be very good. In fact maybe not much different then if we had 4722's all around. But here we go with subjective opinions and I admit I am assuming a lot here, but based on educated guesses

What did you mean by the last sentence? more columns spending on how I attach the GOM?
post #1635 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
I currently have my two Volt 10's sitting about 2.5ft above ear height when sitting. They are not angled down and I have been very pleased with them. Of course I think I don't count too much because I have never had decent surround speakers. But I trust some on these forums and I have read quotes like, "Yea the JTR Single 8 is better, better clarity, better everything, but not really that much better. Maybe if it was used as a main but for surrounds I don't feel there is a big difference."

But I also respect comments from Swolephile where he mentions most people have never heard a system with top line surrounds that are very capable, or all matching speakers. I guess I need to build slow and just buy more 4722's over the years lol! But IMO a properly built system with good mains and good subwoofer system that as long as the surrounds are decent and can match performance in the handling of peaks in the dynamic range it will be very good. In fact maybe not much different then if we had 4722's all around. But here we go with subjective opinions and I admit I am assuming a lot here, but based on educated guesses

What did you mean by the last sentence? more columns spending on how I attach the GOM?
Enjoy the journey. No matter which path you take.
post #1636 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also I think I asked before but didn't see a comment. Google didn't reveal any info for me so...I apologize if someone did answer and I missed it. But I see some of the 4722's have black woofers and some have the lighter colored woofers. I am confused because on JBL's Pro site it shows the 3722 with black woofers and the 4722 with the lighter colored woofers.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/c...y#.VdUndGA-DeQ

Surely some didn't get 3722n's instead I know it's a tiny matter but I am just curious.
post #1637 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
Enjoy the journey. No matter which path you take.
Yes this it the key my friend Thanks to you I and many others have and will enjoy these JBL's. I know the Volts's are good enough that I would be happy with them in my non main positions. I may see if one of the JBL vendors will allow me to try out some SCS8's for a direct comparison. Part of my OCD would like JBL's all around and knowing they are rated for actual Cinema use is reassuring.
post #1638 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You'll notice on the builds WIth fabric the most common method is to use columns to hide the staples. This is because the fastest method it to apply the frames to the wall, insert acoustic material and Cover with fabric. Chair rail and crown hide the top and bottom staples and the side staples are covered once the columns are in place. The fabric is usually say 66" wide so you have to take that into account when spacing columns. This will assure you have no visible seams in your acoustic fabric.

Look at my build below for examples.
post #1639 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You'll notice on the builds WIth fabric the most common method is to use columns to hide the staples. This is because the fastest method it to apply the frames to the wall, insert acoustic material and Cover with fabric. Chair rail and crown hide the top and bottom staples and the side staples are covered once the columns are in place. The fabric is usually say 66" wide so you have to take that into account when spacing columns. This will assure you have no visible seams in your acoustic fabric.

Look at my build below for examples.
Roger that! Yes I actually just started following Auburnxx (can't remember his name exactly) build. He has 4722's and sixteen SI HST18's! Amazing room but he literally just posted pics of how he did his panels yesterday! I plan on that very technique! I will prob build my Volt enclosures shallower than the perfect cube I have now.
post #1640 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Roger that! Yes I actually just started following Auburnxx (can't remember his name exactly) build. He has 4722's and sixteen SI HST18's! Amazing room but he literally just posted pics of how he did his panels yesterday! I plan on that very technique! I will prob build my Volt enclosures shallower than the perfect cube I have now.

I was able to get down to a 7" deep cabinet (outside measurements). Just made them taller to keep the volume in check.

All those hst subs is crazy.. ... I have 4 SI 18s and I've been playing atmos demos at reference and my system breezes by effortlessly with lots of headroom and doesn't even strain the inuke. Sounds fantastic!
post #1641 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was able to get down to a 7" deep cabinet (outside measurements). Just made them taller to keep the volume in check.

All those hst subs is crazy.. ... I have 4 SI 18s and I've been playing atmos demos at reference and my system breezes by effortlessly with lots of headroom and doesn't even strain the inuke. Sounds fantastic!
Honestly that is refreshing AVS has a way of making us think we need 15+ drivers pushing 20kw power! As each day passes I think I am keeping the Submersives then adding a single 18 for near field then some 12's in my four surround columns. Thats 7 different placements of subs with each in a location that deals with a 1/4 room mode. Only thing is HST 12's are deep so I am eyeballing the other 12" sub they have, Mag V3. It's better stats and power handling than all the Dayton drivers, kinda the mid way point between the lesser and the HST 12. I was told not even to bother with 12's though lol! I have researched the Erksine group recommending down to 10" subs in columns with low xmax.

Last edited by jlpowell84; 08-20-2015 at 07:57 AM.
post #1642 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 11:08 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 1729
Quote:

Glad your system is so effortless but can you add some context? Do you have a smaller or larger room? Is your room in a basement or more of an open floor plan? The reason some people need more bass than others isn't simply listening preference, much of it has to do with the room. A basement room will contain and therefore amplify bass much more than a second floor room with simple 2 x 4 walls and wood floor/ceiling, which will lose quite a bit of bass. Just trying to add context for those that may be confused why one "needs" 16 and one is doing great with "only" 4.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #1643 of 7616 Old 08-19-2015, 11:12 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Honestly that is refreshing AVS has a way of making us think we need 10+ drivers pushing 20w power! As each day passes I think I am keeping the Submersives then adding a single 18 for near field then some 12's in my four surround columns. Thats 7 different placements of subs with each in a location that deals with a 1/4 room mode. Only thing is HST 12's are deep so I am eyeballing the other 12" sub they have, Mag V3. It's better stats and power handling than all the Dayton drivers, kinda the mid way point between the lesser and the HST 12. I was told not even to bother with 12's though lol! I have researched the Erksine group recommending down to 10" subs in columns with low xmax.
JL - If you can wait on Nick's SI MK V, that might be just what you are looking for. It is a shallow subwoofer that will play deep and handle up to 1,000w and only requires 0.6 cu.ft. It has traditionally been a car audio woofer but with the MK V, it sounds like Nick is beefing it up and it is now looking good for HT. Now it won't be an output monster like an 18 but for adding bass at the 1/4 points, I think it would do well...but he is finalizing production so I haven't actually tested it yet. I did have the MK IV for my car and it sounded really nice, deep, and clean. I was thinking of putting one under each seat of the couch if I can engineer it to fit with the reclining mechanism.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1644 of 7616 Old 08-20-2015, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also I think I asked before but didn't see a comment. Google didn't reveal any info for me so...I apologize if someone did answer and I missed it. But I see some of the 4722's have black woofers and some have the lighter colored woofers. I am confused because on JBL's Pro site it shows the 3722 with black woofers and the 4722 with the lighter colored woofers.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/c...y#.VdUndGA-DeQ

Surely some didn't get 3722n's instead I know it's a tiny matter but I am just curious.
Yes the two look very similar (the 4722 and 4622) but two very different speakers. The 4622 has a m115-8a woofer (black woofer). It's a cheap woofer used in the JRX line. It also has a much higher crossover at 1300hz. IMO the 3677 would be a step up from the 4622 based solely on the fact the 3677 has a much better woofer and both are handling lots of vocals with the higher crossover. The 4722 of course would be the top dog in the line.
post #1645 of 7616 Old 08-20-2015, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Glad your system is so effortless but can you add some context? Do you have a smaller or larger room? Is your room in a basement or more of an open floor plan? The reason some people need more bass than others isn't simply listening preference, much of it has to do with the room. A basement room will contain and therefore amplify bass much more than a second floor room with simple 2 x 4 walls and wood floor/ceiling, which will lose quite a bit of bass. Just trying to add context for those that may be confused why one "needs" 16 and one is doing great with "only" 4.
Check out my build thread. It's eerily similar to this one.....Although my star ceiling will be done after we move in. There are studies done by harmon for multiple sub placement. I used those studies to design my room and locate and build sub alcoves. Thoretically speaking... the science says I can hit 121 db with my sub setup. That I will probably never test. My subs will reach mechanical limits around 14hz. There's no way they can keep up with 16 HSTs. But I'm a reference at most guy. Believe it or not for systems like this reference is a walk in the park. Auburn's system I'd expect will be well over 130db capable (subs). Far (crazy far) above reference and not my cup of tea...but It'd still damn impressive. The displacement in that room will be nuts.

Last edited by cdy2179; 08-20-2015 at 05:31 AM.
post #1646 of 7616 Old 08-20-2015, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
JL - If you can wait on Nick's SI MK V, that might be just what you are looking for. It is a shallow subwoofer that will play deep and handle up to 1,000w and only requires 0.6 cu.ft. It has traditionally been a car audio woofer but with the MK V, it sounds like Nick is beefing it up and it is now looking good for HT. Now it won't be an output monster like an 18 but for adding bass at the 1/4 points, I think it would do well...but he is finalizing production so I haven't actually tested it yet. I did have the MK IV for my car and it sounded really nice, deep, and clean. I was thinking of putting one under each seat of the couch if I can engineer it to fit with the reclining mechanism.
That is very good to know! I mean HST12's are possible but require the framing to be notched out a good 5-7 inches at each column to allow for the 12" mounting depth of the 78lb beast the 12" HST is. I am stoked he is releasing a 1000watt shallow woofer! The current 450 watt one just wouldn't be enough IMO. If I am going to sacrifice cone real estate by going smaller I want a capable one! And yes I can wait
post #1647 of 7616 Old 08-20-2015, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think even then people can get carried away sometimes. My lowly only dual Submersives hit 110db flat to 8hz at my MLP on a single 15 amp circuit without tripping it. That means there was more left in the tank and my current LR setup is 24x14 open to hall and kitchen. New room will be entirely sealed!
cdy2179 likes this.
post #1648 of 7616 Old 08-20-2015, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 4382
Don't overlook the SCS 12. Rated down to 55hz and has a 100 x 100 dispersion pattern. They would make very nice surrounds with SCS 8 pulling celling duties.
Mfusick likes this.
post #1649 of 7616 Old 08-20-2015, 08:47 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
I think even then people can get carried away sometimes. My lowly only dual Submersives hit 110db flat to 8hz at my MLP on a single 15 amp circuit without tripping it. That means there was more left in the tank and my current LR setup is 24x14 open to hall and kitchen. New room will be entirely sealed!
Most people wish they had the output and quality of dual Submersives.
countryWV likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1650 of 7616 Old 08-20-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 4382
Quote:
Most people wish they had the output and quality of dual Submersives.
I don't
dgage likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page