Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers. - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3273Likes

post #1741 of 7616 Old 08-25-2015, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2028 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Are the Mogami's better...probably maybe. But the better question is are the Hosas good enough and based on my experience with the brand I would say they are very good too.
There will be no return even with Amazon Prime after I cut them open lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 7616 Old 08-25-2015, 02:27 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 1729
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
There will be no return even with Amazon Prime after I cut them open lol!
One of the reasons I like the Mogami Golds is I can buy them at Guitar Center but I think they offer Hosas there too. Hosas would be more expensive than on Amazon though.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #1743 of 7616 Old 08-25-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Quote:
I just get Mogami Gold XLRs but that's mainly due to the business. No issues whatsoever with them and they routinely get 5 star ratings. Then again, they have a 5 star price tag too and no real discounts that I've seen.
Compared to most "home audio" lines the Mogami Gold XLR's are super inexpensive. I cant see any way to best those cables.

Quote:
Are the Mogami's better...probably maybe. But the better question is are the Hosas good enough and based on my experience with the brand I would say they are very good too.
I want Mogami but i run with Hosa. I like the speaker cable a lot but some may want a heavier guage. They work well for me and are very flexible. The cost is an added plus. I had bad luck with monoprice and will stick with professional cables due to quality and cost. Pros typically will not pay for bells and whistles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 7616 Old 08-25-2015, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2733
Thicker gauge belden wire is better than the wire used for a mono price or HOSA
post #1745 of 7616 Old 08-25-2015, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
I agree but i have other things that are on my radar.

post #1746 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 4382
So my game room is down for renovation. I am going to remove the pool table and turn it into a dedicated theater room with just a couple of video game machines on the back wall. I will be removing sheet rock for the projector wiring and speaker wiring. I figure its time to loose the ghetto speaker wire that runs along that cheap stick-on conduit along the baseboard. I am also going to bring another one or two 20 amp circuits into the room. I will repaint the room matte black too. The brown is dark enough but it is too shiny.

I am still on the fence about Atmos. I will probably go ahead and run the wire regardless but I am not sure if my room will work well with ceiling speakers. Having the 4722's in the front throws a huge wall of sound. With my angled walls, I only have 8ft of flat ceiling that runs the length of the room. The room is 20ft wide but I think the Atmos speakers will have to be run down the center section unless I mounted them on the angled walls and adjusted them to fire down and inward. I have SCS 8 so they are flexible on mounting. With my room design (which sucks), I fear the ceiling sounds might just end up getting smeared due to my angled walls.

What do you think? OK for Atmos or not worth the trouble and expense?

Frohlich, dgage and COACH2369 like this.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 08-26-2015 at 12:57 PM.
post #1747 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
So my game room is down for renovation. I am going to remove the pool table and turn it into a dedicated theater room with just a couple of video game machines on the back wall. I will be removing sheet rock for the projector wiring and speaker wiring. I figure its time to loose the ghetto speaker wire that runs along that cheap stick-on conduit along the baseboard. I am also going to bring another one or two 20 amp circuits into the room. I will repaint the room matte black too. The brown is dark enough but it is too shiny.

I am still on the fence about Atmos. I will probably go ahead and run the wire regardless but I am not sure if my room will work well with ceiling speakers. Having the 4722's in the front is throw a huge wall of sound. With my angled walls, I only have 8ft of flat ceiling that runs the length of the room. The room is 20ft wide but I think the Atmos speakers will have to be run down the center section unless I mounted them on the angled walls and adjusted them to fire down and inward. I have SCS 8 so they are flexible on mounting. With my room design (which sucks), I fear the ceiling sounds might just end up getting smeared due to my angled walls.

I know the slanted ceiling isn't optimal but not all of us get to have the deluxe perfect home theater setup. With that said, I really like your space and think it will be a great theater. With those speakers and subs, there really isn't much out there better for a true theater experience. Regarding Atmos, while you're destroying, er, renovating your room, you might as well run the speaker wire for a pair of Atmos speakers and then you don't have to make the decision now on whether you really want them. Make sure to zig zag the speaker wire and staple to framing like this picture http://flylib.com/books/2/545/1/html...ges/f07-07.jpg.

EDIT: Then again, if you plan to flush your Atmos speakers, you might want to go ahead and build a large back box for open back ceiling speakers or at least put a good framing member in the area to mount boxes to later.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1748 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:

I am still on the fence about Atmos. I will probably go ahead and run the wire regardless but I am not sure if my room will work well with ceiling speakers. Having the 4722's in the front is throw a huge wall of sound. With my angled walls, I only have 8ft of flat ceiling that runs the length of the room. The room is 20ft wide but I think the Atmos speakers will have to be run down the center section unless I mounted them on the angled walls and adjusted them to fire down and inward. I have SCS 8 so they are flexible on mounting. With my room design (which sucks), I fear the ceiling sounds might just end up getting smeared due to my angled walls.

DANG....you have a wide front wall. Those 4722N's and 24's look "tiny".
Molon_Labe likes this.
post #1749 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:

I've got to say Atmos is freaking awesome and I would try my best to implement it. The room just comes to life. My 2150s also project an amazing wall of sound but the overheads just add such a realistic experience.. it's great!

Ideally the Atmos would be placed in line with the mains. That isn't really possible in your situation. I'd maybe try mounting them in the corners of the flat ceiling and play around with aiming to see what gives the best wall "ceiling" of sound and best imaging or maybe something like the volts with great dispersion in all directions.

Going from 7 channel to 11 channels and adding a whole new dimension of sound it is anything but a small improvement.
post #1750 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Isn't the distance between your L & R speakers way too far part? I thought it is "recommended" to have your speakers not too far apart vs your MLP? Trying to see how I will align these speakers for the best listening experience.

Left sub sub Center sub sub right
sub left sub center sub right sub <- what i currently have

Quote:

post #1751 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dolby Atmos specs say in line with the mains. They also don't recommend the mains be in the corners. So yes you are right. Optimally in a no compromise HT you're mains would be all behind the screen and in a baffle wall at that. Of course this isn't always doable.

If my mains were in the corners (which would only happen if I was forced to) I would bring the atmos in towards the center. You don't want strong reflections off the side walls but you do want good imaging between all ceiling speakers. Most of dobly's diagrams almost show them being at the 1/4 space from side walls...including the mains.
post #1752 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@dgage -
@cdy2179 - I really do want to do Atmos. If you guys think it will work, I am all in. I already have the Denon 5200w, and I need an excuse to upgrade the four surrounds to SCS 12's and move the SCS 8s to the ceiling

I see absolutely nothing in your pic that would stop me from implementing it what so ever. Even if it's not the perfect ceiling it's not horrible. The off axis responses hitting the angled wall doesn't look like they would be a factor as far as reflecting back to the seats. You should be able to get good imaging between the ceiling speakers...I say go for it. If not you will regret it...right?

And yea... I don't get the zig zag either.
Molon_Labe likes this.
post #1753 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, if I don't do it I will always wonder.

I may pull the subs to the back wall which will actually be more nearfield at about 25% room distance from the MLP. That should also remove the dreaded mid-room nulls and allow me to have more room for the 4722s. I would like a little more space between them than having them jammed behind the screen almost touching.
I headed over to film tech when I had questions about my 2150s in a baffle wall as to how close the screen should be. The reply I got was pretty dang close. 3" or so is fine. Just as long as the woofers don't make the screen move. Mine screen is 1.5" away and with the displacement of 2 15 drivers (crossed to subs) they woofers barely move and the screen doesn't move the least bit, heck even when I ran them large with no sub and they shook the room the screen didn't move. So being these are pro speakers, the pros say don't worry about it.

And if you can...by all means spend a few hundred bucks and build a baffle wall. Those 4722 are made for it and I know my 2150s sound like new gorillas in one.
post #1754 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 01:32 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
@dgage - Why the zig zag on the speaker wire? Granted I am a country hick but I cant for the life of me figure out the reasoning behind that.
So much for a picture speaking a thousand words...just like me to need more than a thousand words to explain something. You lightly staple wire in between framing when you're roughing in and aren't sure exactly where you will be putting the junction box, speaker, etc. The zig zag makes it easier to reach/catch the wire as well as ensures there is plenty of excess wire to reach the final location.
Molon_Labe likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1755 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
DANG....you have a wide front wall. Those 4722N's and 24's look "tiny".
Ok I read further, 20ft is very nice! I am shooting for 16ft in my upcoming build.
post #1756 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 407 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked: 5628
Quote:
@dgage - Why the zig zag on the speaker wire? Granted I am a country hick but I cant for the life of me figure out the reasoning behind that.

@Aspen0220 - I just kinda stuck the speakers in the corners for now. I can bring them in if needed but they would all three need to be behind the screen with the subs in the corners. Goodness sakes I cant imagine the room gain I would get with them loading those short corner walls.

@COACH2369 - The front wall is 20ft. Luckily, I don't have to contend with a door like you did The angled ceilings do eat up a lot of real estate. I can just squeak a 120" screen in the middle with just a couple of inches clearance from the wall at the top.

@cdy2179 - I really do want to do Atmos. If you guys think it will work, I am all in. I already have the Denon 5200w, and I need an excuse to upgrade the four surrounds to SCS 12's and move the SCS 8s to the ceiling

I got the Sony HW55ES projector. I hope it is a good middle of the road performer.
You should ideally be at equilateral points between the speakers, and each speaker to you. ie 14 feet distance between speakers, then 14 feet distance to you from left speaker, and right speaker respectively.

Also, you should find the sony 55es as much more than a middle of the road performer IMO. I absolutely LOVED mine.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #1757 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
What is a baffle wall? I saw in one of @beastaudio pictures a hanging screen. I was going to do something along these lines

However, I am open to ideas.

My screen is just hanging. THIS is a baffle wall. Floor to ceiling sheet rock and treatment to fully encase your front stage:

post #1758 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes I also have the 55es...fantastic projector.
post #1759 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
Yes I also have the 55es...fantastic projector.
AND i just stole one of your build photos when you were the one suggesting a baffle wall....Give credit where credit is due. Haha now name your theater for goodness sake
cdy2179 likes this.

post #1760 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
AND i just stole one of your build photos when you were the one suggesting a baffle wall....Give credit where credit is due. Haha now name your theater for goodness sake
LOL... yeah I saw that..

Molon Google baffle wall to see how it affects audio. Improved midbass, imaging, cohesion between front 3. It creates a true wall of sound. Check out my build for construction pics and screen mounting etc. This is how your speaker and mine would be installed in a high end theater or screening room to squeeze everything out of them.

Last edited by cdy2179; 08-26-2015 at 01:45 PM.
post #1761 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You should ideally be at equilateral points between the speakers, and each speaker to you. ie 14 feet distance between speakers, then 14 feet distance to you from left speaker, and right speaker respectively.

Also, you should find the sony 55es as much more than a middle of the road performer IMO. I absolutely LOVED mine.
I thought Equilateral triangle was for two channel listening? That multi channel Home Theater's it's more ideal to have LCR behind screen to "lock" audio to screen. Or if you can get all three behind screen get the CD as close to the border as you can. I know some build closer to an equilateral triangle to optimize Stereo listening for music and also performs well for HT.
post #1762 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I thought Equilateral triangle was for two channel listening? That multi channel Home Theater's it's more ideal to have LCR behind screen to "lock" audio to screen. Or if you can get all three behind screen get the CD as close to the border as you can. I know some build closer to an equilateral triangle to optimize Stereo listening for music and also performs well for HT.
Yep, that's what I did. My compression drivers around around 11 feet from each other but I am at 14. I would spread them further but my room is only 12ft wide. Moving up to 12 feet from speakers, the stereo image is great, but I get a lot of that already at 14 ft still. But mine are all still behind the screen as well.

post #1763 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Excellent. I wanted to go with the JVC for the better optics and blacks but I like gaming. I gotta have this done before Nov 17 when Star Wars Battlefront comes out. Man I am like a kid a Christmas waiting on that game.
Im gonna have my hands full between that, the new tomb raider, and halo 5. I won't know what to do with myself honestly. Im just trying to put decent time into destiny before that time comes, but I feel like the missions are getting somewhat redundant already and Im only at a level 30 something.
Molon_Labe likes this.

post #1764 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think you should drive your arse to San Antonio and help me buid it. Bring me some crawfish too
I can build it with my mind power.. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................g o look and see if it's done!
jlpowell84 likes this.
post #1765 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 2378
Quote:
Im gonna have my hands full between that, the new tomb raider, and halo 5. I won't know what to do with myself honestly. Im just trying to put decent time into destiny before that time comes, but I feel like the missions are getting somewhat redundant already and Im only at a level 30 something.
I am a gamer myself....also the reason I have a Sony projector since they have the lowest lag time. After thousands of hours of kicking teenager's arses on Titanfall, I finally moved on to Gears of War. It came out yesterday for the XBOX one. That is the game that got me hooked on online gaming on the XBOX 360 and has great sentimental value
post #1766 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am a day one Destiny nut. I have lvl 34 of each a Titan, Warlock and Hunter, have every weapon, every exotic there is...Have 100+ Vault of Glass clears, little less Crota clears. And I am a "lighter" player compared to my clan leader and some of the others in my clan lol. I haven't played since they announced they are leaving everything behind for The Taken King expansion.
post #1767 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So in discussion of baffle walls. Should I try and do so? I plan on having the JBL's for a long time, barring they sound disgusting to me which I don't suspect, so thats not an issue like a speaker recycler like @beastaudio

I mean is it really that much better? I suppose here is my question...If I blind tested people like us how big of a gap would it be? Then if I blind tested people who buy HTIB sets would they notice? As far as dealing with SBIR we can do treating on the wall behind the screen for that.

And I am not sure what I would do with 2x dual opposed Seaton Submersives. Suppose I can lower the price again and simply try to get equal performance. But I have mentally resided to keeping them and my "ooompfh" for packing and shipping has faded lol! I suppose I can ask Mark again about swapping F2 enclosures after I told him not to worry about it!!! But I could do something like @cdy2179 did and only baffle in my speakers. But corners may not be best place for Submersives. Has anyone seen what @BrolicBeast did with his in wall Triads? I think he essentially built something like a baffle stand for each speaker. I suppose I could explore that option, thing is 4722's are much wider than the in wall Triad Plat...

Last edited by jlpowell84; 08-26-2015 at 04:05 PM.
post #1768 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So in discussion of baffle walls. Should I try and do so? I plan on having the JBL's for a long time, barring they sound disgusting to me which I don't suspect, so thats not an issue like a speaker recycler like @beastaudio

I mean is it really that much better? I suppose here is my question...If I blind tested people like us how big of a gap would it be? Then if I blind tested people who buy HTIB sets would they notice? As far as dealing with SBIR we can do treating on the wall behind the screen for that.

And I am not sure what I would do with 2x dual opposed Seaton Submersives. Suppose I can lower the price again and simply try to get equal performance. But I have mentally resided to keeping them and my "ooompfh" for packing and shipping has faded lol! I suppose I can ask Mark again about swapping F2 enclosures after I told him not to worry about it!!! But I could do something like @cdy2179 did and only baffle in my speakers. But corners may not be best place for Submersives. Has anyone seen what @BrolicBeast did with his in wall Triads? I think he essentially built something like a baffle stand for each speaker. I suppose I could explore that option, thing is 4722's are much wider than the in wall Triad Plat...
I asked this on film tech... I mean who's heard more baffle walls. The concensus was for their own screening rooms the baffle was a must. I mean if your gonna build a false wall a few more hours of work and you have a baffle wall. If the 4722 is anything like the 2150.. And we know it is exceptionally good... This will be it's optimal home.... They're made for baffle walls. It's like giving them a performance upgrade.

As for subs. Google Harmon multiple subs. You'll see a pdf file. You'll see optimal placements for multiple subs in rectangular rooms complete with measurements. This is what I used to design my room and why I have 4 corner loaded subs. Allowing the 2 fronts to continue my baffle wall to the side walls as a bonus. May as well use the tools and studies out there right? I can say without a doubt I haven't had a chance to manually eq, but the bass is so damn smooth and tactile and as I walk around the room it sounds that way everywhere. My room is freaking alive... A living beast!
Mfusick likes this.
post #1769 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 189
So all that is required to build a baffle wall is drywall? I always thought they were really complicated but maybe I'll have a quick baffle wall built as well.

My false wall will be about 30-36" deep. Still a few weeks away but the drywall starts next tuesday.
post #1770 of 7616 Old 08-26-2015, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
I had a two hour demo session tonight with my system.

It might be all in my head, but I feel that things are starting to break in because things are sounding even better. I am just so impressed with the complete presentation...speakers, subs and AT screen.

On a side note, I forgot how unimpressive the audio was on Star Wars Episode II and III.....compared to more recent blu-ray releases. I am hopeful the new movie will be a big improvement when it hits blu-ray.
Frohlich and Molon_Labe like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page