AVS Forum banner

Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers.

723K views 8K replies 248 participants last post by  LondonBenji 
#1 · (Edited)
Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers and I have a few questions. First is do these speakers accept bare wire only? Or can I use banana connectors with them? Will 12 gauge wire fit?

Next is how do I wire them up to my amp? I believe there is wiring from the crossover box to the horn and lf section? And then a second pair of connectors for the amp?

I'm coming from a setup of Yorkville U215 and Yorkville U15 speakers. I love music as much as I love home cinema. I'm hoping these speakers will excel in both realms.

The two following reviews are what convinced me to purchase these speakers.
http://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/1zsyty/theres_no_replacement_for_displacement/

http://www.andrew-robinson-online.com/review-jbl-professional-3677-screen-channel-loudspeaker/

One review is by Notnyt who was adamant about these speakers ability to replay cinema dialogue and music accurately. Second review is of the JBL 3677. The reviewer also gave it high marks for music accuracy and cinema.

If I am satisfied with the performance of the 4722n pair, I will go on to purchase a 3677 for a center next month. I will use a Yamaha p7000s with this pair of speakers. Though I will also try a Behringer Nu4-6000 with them as well.

I know these speakers are super sensitive and can be powered by a receiver however I have a prepro in my system to eliminate all buzz issues from the use of rca cables. I will be using a pair of SI 24 subwoofers to carry the low end.

I'm really hoping I love these speakers because returning them will be a huge pain in the rear. Though I have full confidence in Notnyt's opinion so I have faith this will be a great purchase for me.

After years of 7.4 systems, I want to downsize and run as simple a system as possible. Less speakers, less amps, less crossovers, less wiring, less problems. I hope to run a 3.2 system that will knock my socks off.

Though I would be up to ordering a additional pair of JBL 3677's for rears if I like the front soundstage.

See less See more
#4 ·
I had 10 gauge on all my JBL. I think they are bare wire but some had clips, some had the spring loaded post that you push down and it creates a hole. This type requires thinner gauge. As far as connecting them you connect the CD to the bass bin and then the amp to the crossover I believe.

#6 ·
#8 ·
These speakers are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow before 5pm. I will give my initial impressions of how they compare to my Yorkville U215s tomorrow night.

Though I must admit the Yorkvilles are sounding extremely good after re-running Audyssey XT in my condo last week. I also feel they sound very good with no eq but with +4db on the treble tone control.

I'm very interested to see what I may gain with the Jbl pro speakers. I'm intrigued with the concept of cinema speakers at home. If these don't work out, I will also be interested in Klipsch cinema line as well.

#10 ·
Nice, make sure you give them time to break in the woofer, out of the box it will seem they don't have any low end or full sound at all until those stiff woofers loosen up.

#18 ·
I also wanted to add that these speakers were much smaller than I thought they would be. Anyone coming from a background using PA speakers might find these speakers underwhelming in a good way when it comes to their size. They are short and wide. They do not overpower my living room at all in my opinion.

#19 ·
Does anyone know if there is a possible upgrade path for these speakers? Just want to know what my future options might be with these speakers. I'm loving the sound they are putting out now but I thought I saw some other people online were using different horns with the 4722N LF section.

So my question is are there any other larger horns with a built in passive crossover which I could use with the 4722N LF? I'd also be interested in any 3 way horns with a built in passive crossover network which can be used with the 4722N LF.

#22 ·
#21 ·
I told everyone thy sound enormous with awesome mid bass! Mine required 5 WOTW reference level pod emerge demos to loosen up. I had the 3622 though.

#25 ·
Ok thanks MK. I saw the HF extension is 18khz vs. 20khz with the 4722N. It also appears the LF drivers are different and I'm guessing the compression driver used is different as well.

You were definitely spot on with the IMMENSE midbass these speakers put out. I feel like im in a planetarium. The midbass is enveloping, violent, and makes my floors shake while loathing around. I know my movie watching is going to go to another level with these bad boys!

#26 ·
Oh yeah! It has been a while since I listened to JBL pro an now I have it again I am hooked! I am thinking the better the drivers the better they are for music as all are great for HT.

Reactions: ellisr63
#27 · (Edited)
Oh yeah! It has been a while since I listened to JBL pro an now I have it again I am hooked! I am thinking the better the drivers the better they are for music as all are great for HT.
Yes sir I definitely agree. I've owned numerous setups like yourself which have ran the gambit from Martin Logan, Paradigm, Klipsch, Deftech, Cerwin Vega, Yorkville, etc.

These speakers give up nothing to any of the aforementioned brands with music and they stand in a league of their own in terms of sheer dynamics with HT. I finally found a set of speakers and subs which excel both with movies and music.

This has been almost a decade long journey for me which has come to a climax. I'm so greatful to AVS because this has been a long time coming for a guy as picky as me with borderline obsessive compulsive disorder.

I will obsess over minor speaker flaws(especially with music) until I force myself into moving to a new setup. I feel no such feeling with these speakers and subs. They both sounded fantastic right out of the box with no break in.

I've never experienced that with any other pair of speakers or subs I've owned in the past.

#32 · (Edited)
Watched two movies with the JBLs last night. Dialogue at the lowest volume levels around 75db was clear and easily discernable. I've never heard such clarity with dialogue at such a low volume level. Felt as if someone was whispering the dialogue directly into my ears on the couch. When I laid on the volume abit up to 110db the dialogue easily enveloped the entire condo. You can hear words uber clear no matter if I was two rooms down, in the backyard, or upstairs in the kitchen.

Dynamics with cinema speakers are unreal. I feel like I'm in the middle of an IMAX once these speakers get over 100db. I can feel the midbass in my chest at higher volume levels and it shakes my couch, walls, floorboards, pipes, dishes upstairs etc. With them breaking in the midbass is becoming even more immense.

Bass in full range mode is now overwhelming so I put them on a 40hz crossover which sounds great. Bass is tight and deep. I paired them with a single SI 24 for the second movie and they sound astounding together. Good highs and smooth lows which can easily crush a large room or gently massage it with waves of tight, low bass.

I'm very impressed with these speakers thus far. Now I'm wondering what an upgrade with the CD would do as expressed in the aforementioned post by Kingpin. I believe this speaker has the large 3" titanium diaphragm. So would the next step up be the 4" premium CD contained in the 5732? Or would that not fit the horn for the 4722n?

I can now see why some people state once you hear large cinema speakers in a home environment, other speakers sound like toys. The soundstage, midbass, and razor sharp dialogue is something I've never experienced with any home speaker or PA speaker. I'm never going back to any non-cinema speaker again that is for sure.

#33 ·
I used to argue with people all the time when they say their speakers are better sounding than the theater especially when they say it had JBL screen array speakers. I told them don't judge them based on playing too loud in a giant room but try them in a HT when they cruise along and then judge them. I have heard and owned many speakers including some very expensive line arrays and these are right at the top.

#36 · (Edited)
I see the 2432-H comes with the 4722n. So can the 2452-HSL be used with the 4722n HF? Are there any CD upgrades that could be plug and play without a new crossover?

I tried registering and asking these questions at audio heritage but I got a message stating I did not qualify for membership.

#37 · (Edited)
Trying to upgrade the cd will be much too complex of a process for me to bother with. So it appears my JBL journey both begins and ends here for the foreseeable future.

I'm definitely not complaining. Getting a huge 3" compression driver, horn with a reasonably low crossover point, and a pair of super high quality 15's which hit deep at a very competitive price point was truly a blessing for me. I'm very happy no matter what with this purchase. :)

However when I learn more about active X-overs the 4732-T will be the next priority on my list.

#38 ·
Woofers continue to sound better as they break in. I've moved the crossover up to 50hz due to the monstrous bass which seems to grow as they they continue to breakin. Bass can be overpowering in full range mode now. Bass is a bit more reserved at 40hz but it still overwhelms midrange clarity in my opinion.

Bass is perfect at 50hz crossover. Highs and mids sound very balanced with a very tight low end. I just can't get over how tight the bass is with these speakers. Love it.

#39 ·
I remember a long time ago I wanted to try JBL pro speakers when I had 7 M&K S-5000's in a 7.1. I was convinced to try JTR 888's instead as they were a brand new speaker and while they were a good replacement(lateral move but now with warranty) I still had this feeling to try the cinema speakers. They were instantly superior to the 888's! I had what I always wanted a long ago but I did no know how to get the best out of them as I was learning. Now that I have JBL pro parts and the better tools to dial them in they leaped to my number 1 list.

Reactions: ellisr63
#40 ·
I'm now a lifetime J.B.L. fan. Their sound is uncompromisingly good. They are sold at a very aggressive price point. I appreciate their no frills, all performance approach. No need to pay a high markup for equivalent performance from other ID and big box companies.

#41 ·
Anyone have suggestions for rears? I tried a Yorkville U15 for a rear today and it blended it well with the JBLs. I could purchase two more Yorkville U15s and run them as rears.

But I keep getting the nagging sensation that I'm possibly sacrificing overall sound quality if I keep the Yorkvilles in my setup. I also thought about a pair of JTR 228s but I'm not sure if their sound quality would be a step up from the Yorkvilles.