SVS Prime Bookshelf 5.1 System Official AVS Forum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #31 of 99 Old 04-18-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Has anyone compared the primes to the ultras? Are the ultras worth the jump?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 Old 04-24-2015, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 19
just checking on if anyone has heard both these and a HSU HB-1/HC-1 setup....got my choice narrowed down to these two and would like to hear the opinion of anyone who's heard both.
post #33 of 99 Old 04-29-2015, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This sounds like a great system that I would be interested in upgrading to. The room it would go in is 2600 cubic feet, would two SB-2000's get the job done for the subs? The SB-2000's would be an easier fit among the existing furniture and it's placement in the room vs. the much larger PB-2000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 99 Old 04-29-2015, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
just checking on if anyone has heard both these and a HSU HB-1/HC-1 setup....got my choice narrowed down to these two and would like to hear the opinion of anyone who's heard both.
+1
post #35 of 99 Old 06-03-2015, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
+1
post #36 of 99 Old 06-03-2015, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
+1,000

I keep waffling back and forth between the Primes and the Ultras. Any clarity would be much appreciated!
post #37 of 99 Old 06-03-2015, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Quoted: 8749 Post(s)
Liked: 15278
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaider View Post
This sounds like a great system that I would be interested in upgrading to. The room it would go in is 2600 cubic feet, would two SB-2000's get the job done for the subs? The SB-2000's would be an easier fit among the existing furniture and it's placement in the room vs. the much larger PB-2000.
For most reasonable people, twin SB-2000s more than get the job done in a room that size. There are a few folks who need to go deeper but with that rig 99.9% of people would be totally covered in the bass department.
post #38 of 99 Old 06-03-2015, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaider View Post
Two may be. One would be pushing it.
post #39 of 99 Old 06-03-2015, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked: 2897
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusCogens View Post
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle454 View Post
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeszko View Post
+1,000

I keep waffling back and forth between the Primes and the Ultras. Any clarity would be much appreciated!

I would like to pass along some knowledge that I have learned in my DIY days.

When it is time to make a speaker that sound good for less money, The Engineers have to decide where to do some cuts so it can be made for cheaper and pass along the saving to the customer.
And this is the same for my aperion Verus Grand towers.

On that list are, the drivers, cabinet, bracing, finish, crossover and might be more.
Not an easy task, they want the speaker to still sound great but have to save money somewhere.

It can be done to a certain degree.

The question You should be asking yourself is "How picky I am?"

I am picky enough to get an Audio/Video processor over a Receiver.
Is it for everyone? No.
I am picky enough to pay a lot more for towers cross at 80Hz when a bookshelf should be more than enough.
Is it for everyone? No.

And the list go on

I am paying a lot more for Very few difference
Is worth-it to me? Yes.
Is it for everyone? No.

So to sum-it up.
The same for the SVS Primes and the Ultras series.

I am sure both series sound great, but it is all a matter of how picky you can get.
Real picky people should buy the Ultras, and the more casual listener get Primes.

Ray
GusGus748s likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 06-03-2015 at 07:28 PM.
post #40 of 99 Old 06-03-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
I would like to pass along some knowledge that I have learned in my DIY days.

When it is time to make a speaker that sound good for less money, The Engineers have to decide where to do some cuts so it can be made for cheaper and pass along the saving to the customer.
And this is the same for my aperion Verus Grand towers.

On that list are, the drivers, cabinet, bracing, finish, crossover and might be more.
Not an easy task, they want the speaker to still sound great but have to save money somewhere.

It can be done to a certain degree.

The question You should be asking yourself is "How picky I am?"

I am picky enough to get an Audio/Video processor over a Receiver.
Is it for everyone? No.
I am picky enough to pay a lot more for towers cross at 80Hz when a bookshelf should be more than enough.
Is it for everyone? No.

And the list go on

I am paying a lot more for Very few difference
Is worth-it to me? Yes.
Is it for everyone? No.

So to sum-it up.
The same for the SVS Primes and the Ultras series.

I am sure both series sound great, but it is all a matter of how picky you can get.
Real picky people should buy the Ultras, and the more casual listener get Primes.

Ray
Totally agree with you, Ray.

The problem for me arises because this will be my first real home theater system, and I want to allow room to upgrade over time. So the question becomes, do I buy the Ultra bookshelves NOW, and then down the road purchase an Ultra center along with either another set of bookshelves or the towers to complete a 5.1 set up OR do I purchase the Prime towers now, and then add a Prime center and bookshelves to complete the 5.1 set-up?

I know it's important to at minimum match the L/C/R speakers for timbre; SVS claims the Ultra and Prime series "play nice" together, but I would still want to stay within the same series to ensure I'm accurately matching the timbre.

It's less of a question about how "picky" I am now, but how picky will I be a year or two from now when I want to complete my 5.1 system? (Let's be honest, though, I won't make it a year or two before completing my system!)

That's why it would be great to see a direct comparison of the respective speakers within each system.

I emailed SVS to ask about the main differences and received a predictable answer. Essentially, the Ultras are made from better materials, and thus result in a better sound. But I want to hear this from someone WITHOUT a direct financial interest in my purchasing the more expensive speakers!
post #41 of 99 Old 06-03-2015, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

The problem for me arises because this will be my first real home theater system, and I want to allow room to upgrade over time. So the question becomes, do I buy the Ultra bookshelves NOW, and then down the road purchase an Ultra center along with either another set of bookshelves or the towers to complete a 5.1 set up OR do I purchase the Prime towers now, and then add a Prime center and bookshelves to complete the 5.1 set-up?

I know it's important to at minimum match the L/C/R speakers for timbre; SVS claims the Ultra and Prime series "play nice" together, but I would still want to stay within the same series to ensure I'm accurately matching the timbre.

It's less of a question about how "picky" I am now, but how picky will I be a year or two from now when I want to complete my 5.1 system? (Let's be honest, though, I won't make it a year or two before completing my system!)

That's why it would be great to see a direct comparison of the respective speakers within each system.

I emailed SVS to ask about the main differences and received a predictable answer. Essentially, the Ultras are made from better materials, and thus result in a better sound. But I want to hear this from someone WITHOUT a direct financial interest in my purchasing the more expensive speakers!
However, you can test the water by comparing the two series. They pay shipping both ways, and you can test them out for 45 days. You're the only one who can tell us which one is better. I would personally test all the options if you can. Both prime and ultra bookshelves, and the prime tower. This will tell you what your fronts are really doing. ofc the ultra bookshelf+center will cost a bit more, it could be worth it to your ears

"Enjoy a full 45-day in-home audition with any item purchased from SVS. If you're unhappy for any reason, return it for a refund... no questions asked. We'll even cover return shipping for purchases within the contiguous US! We ask that the product be in new condition with original box and packing."
darthray likes this.

SVS Ultra Bookshelves (Gloss White) / SVS SB13-Ultra / 2x Flex 12's / 2x V.B.S.S's / 2x Dayton 460HO's Marantz SR7008
AKG K712 Pros / SB ZxR

Last edited by Reckless95; 06-03-2015 at 10:17 PM.
post #42 of 99 Old 06-03-2015, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Are you married to the SVS speakers? You know there are other brands out there. I would suggest buying the best 3.0 you can buy. Surround speakers aren't as important as the front 3 specially the center channel.
darthray likes this.
post #43 of 99 Old 06-04-2015, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
Are you married to the SVS speakers? You know there are other brands out there. I would suggest buying the best 3.0 you can buy. Surround speakers aren't as important as the front 3 specially the center channel.
Not at all! Their looks are wife approved, though, and after looking around it seems they give me a really good bang for my buck.

I've also looked at the Ascend CMT 340SE's and the Sierra 1s (can't go up to the 2s). I've also had my eye on the B&W 686 S2s or CM1 S2s (for a very different sound than all of the previous speakers). Any other recommendations I should look at?
post #44 of 99 Old 06-04-2015, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not at all! Their looks are wife approved, though, and after looking around it seems they give me a really good bang for my buck.

I've also looked at the Ascend CMT 340SE's and the Sierra 1s (can't go up to the 2s). I've also had my eye on the B&W 686 S2s or CM1 S2s (for a very different sound than all of the previous speakers). Any other recommendations I should look at?
Chane and HTD are other inexpensive options.
post #45 of 99 Old 06-04-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
If I could, I would. But in all seriousness, he isn't out any money if he doesn't like what he hears from any of their products. Obviously trying other brands would be a no brainer. He asked a question between the 2 series, I just gave him an answer.

SVS Ultra Bookshelves (Gloss White) / SVS SB13-Ultra / 2x Flex 12's / 2x V.B.S.S's / 2x Dayton 460HO's Marantz SR7008
AKG K712 Pros / SB ZxR
post #46 of 99 Old 06-04-2015, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless95 View Post
However, you can test the water by comparing the two series. They pay shipping both ways, and you can test them out for 45 days. You're the only one who can tell us which one is better. I would personally test all the options if you can. Both prime and ultra bookshelves, and the prime tower. This will tell you what your fronts are really doing. ofc the ultra bookshelf+center will cost a bit more, it could be worth it to your ears

"Enjoy a full 45-day in-home audition with any item purchased from SVS. If you're unhappy for any reason, return it for a refund... no questions asked. We'll even cover return shipping for purchases within the contiguous US! We ask that the product be in new condition with original box and packing."

A very good suggestion

Quote:

I agree %100 that the 3 front should be from the same line no matter what brand of speakers.
Also agree that the surrounds can get away from a lower line of speakers within the same brand, since our hearing is a lot less sensitive when sound come from the back or just ambiance
I personally like a perfect match all around, but then, I did say that I was picky

Quote:

Then my suggestion would be get the Ultra, or if you end up getting another brand get the most that you can afford now

SVS reply was an honest one "Essentially, the Ultras are made from better materials, and thus result in a better sound"

I have learn over the years, it is a lot cheaper in the long run to do the best of one budget for the first time, and you never have that little nagging voice in your head saying "what if?"
The reason I say that is, it sound that you are already thinking to upgrade in the future.

Another option would be to start with 3 fronts, then add over time one piece at the time (sub, surround etc.) as the budget allow it.
Time do go fast, you start with something very good and have a big wow factor, add another piece in the future and you get another in your face and so long.

Just a few word of wisdom from a guy that kept upgrading and upgrading and...

Best of luck in your decision and keep us posted.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 06-04-2015 at 08:16 PM.
post #47 of 99 Old 06-04-2015, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A very good suggestion

I agree %100 that the 3 front should be from the same line no matter what brand of speakers.
Also agree that the surrounds can get away from a lower line of speakers within the same brand, since our hearing is a lot less sensitive when sound come from the back or just ambiance
I personally like a perfect match all around, but then, I did say that I was picky

Then my suggestion would be get the Ultra, or if you end up getting another brand get the most that you can afford now

SVS reply was an honest one "Essentially, the Ultras are made from better materials, and thus result in a better sound"

I have learn over the years, it is a lot cheaper in the long run to do the best of one budget for the first time, and you never have that little nagging voice in your head saying "what if?"
The reason I say that is, it sound that you are already thinking to upgrade in the future.

Another option would be to start with 3 fronts, then add over time one piece at the time (sub, surround etc.) as the budget allow it.
Time do go fast, you start with something very good and have a big wow factor, add another piece in the future and you get another in your face and so long.

Ray
I agree. I've sold 4 of my 5 HT. I sold my last 5.0 Arx set up thinking of going with more expensive better speakers, and I ended up going back to Arx...well now they are Chane speakers. However, I upgraded to the Chane A5rx-c towers for front left / right. May be once my kids move out, I'll be able to afford some Sonus Faber speakers!
post #48 of 99 Old 06-05-2015, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The sonus may or not might be for you since they use a soft dome Tweeter and are actually my preference.
http://hometheaterreview.com/sonus-faber/

The Chane A5rx-c towers
On the other hand use a ribbon tweeters and offer something out of this word from what I read
Music wise, I think a ribbon can be better depending of the design.
For movies, I think soft dome have the advantage also depending of the design.

You have already went back 4 times to the Arx, so they might be the speakers for you

Ray
post #49 of 99 Old 06-05-2015, 12:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The sonus may or not might be for you since they use a soft dome Tweeter and are actually my preference.
http://hometheaterreview.com/sonus-faber/

The Chane A5rx-c towers
On the other hand use a ribbon tweeters and offer something out of this word from what I read
Music wise, I think a ribbon can be better depending of the design.
For movies, I think soft dome have the advantage also depending of the design.

You have already went back 4 times to the Arx, so they might be the speakers for you

Ray
Technically the Chane speakers us a flat panel "leaf" tweeter or Planar tweeter similar to ribbon tweeter.
post #50 of 99 Old 06-05-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
A very good suggestion

Ray
Thanks for the advice, Ray!

Just for fun- what would you do with my budget?

I have $1,500 for L/R speakers. 50% Movies/TV and 50% music. I have looked at the speakers noted above (i.e. SVS, B&W, and Ascend), but I have also looked at KEF (LS50 and R-series), Martin Logans, Sonus, and Swan.

Bookshelves have the WAF, but I think I could sneak in some good floorstanders if they had a good finish.

I have already planned to upgrade over time as you had mentioned in your previous post, so once the budget recovers I will add a subwoofer (looking at the Rythmik LV12R) and then a matching center, with the surrounds being the last item purchased.

Thanks in advance for helping me spend some money!
post #51 of 99 Old 06-05-2015, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Quoted: 8749 Post(s)
Liked: 15278
The Prime Bookshelf speakers are back at it, this time as part of a soon-to-publish PC-2000 review. It'll be the first review to take place in my new 2.0/2.1-channel listening room

darthray likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-06-2015 at 06:48 AM.
post #52 of 99 Old 06-07-2015, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, Ray!

Just for fun- what would you do with my budget?

I have $1,500 for L/R speakers. 50% Movies/TV and 50% music. I have looked at the speakers noted above (i.e. SVS, B&W, and Ascend), but I have also looked at KEF (LS50 and R-series), Martin Logans, Sonus, and Swan.

Bookshelves have the WAF, but I think I could sneak in some good floorstanders if they had a good finish.

I have already planned to upgrade over time as you had mentioned in your previous post, so once the budget recovers I will add a subwoofer (looking at the Rythmik LV12R) and then a matching center, with the surrounds being the last item purchased.

Thanks in advance for helping me spend some money!

Sorry for the delay!

If I was you
For $1500, it would be the Ultra bookshelf with some nice quality stands for the look and WAF.

I cannot speak of the other brands, the only suggestion from my part for towers with WAF would be like my aperion Verus Grand towers
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...-tower-speaker
But this would put you $500 over budget.

They do have a outstanding finish and most wife like it, but you have to look at the big picture.
Center go from $650-800, depending of when you buy it.
Surrounds $700 a pair

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 06-07-2015 at 01:18 AM.
post #53 of 99 Old 06-07-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the delay!

If I was you
For $1500, it would be the Ultra bookshelf with some nice quality stands for the look and WAF.

I cannot speak of the other brands, the only suggestion from my part for towers with WAF would be like my aperion Verus Grand towers
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...-tower-speaker
But this would put you $500 over budget.

They do have a outstanding finish and most wife like it, but you have to look at the big picture.
Center go from $650-800, depending of when you buy it.
Surrounds $700 a pair

Ray
Ray, how do you like your Verus Grand Towers? Those do look great! Right now I'm between SVS Ultra Bookshelves or SVS Prime Towers. Although, if the Verus are worth the premium I could wait a bit a stretch my budget to accommodate!
post #54 of 99 Old 06-07-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ray, how do you like your Verus Grand Towers? Those do look great! Right now I'm between SVS Ultra Bookshelves or SVS Prime Towers. Although, if the Verus are worth the premium I could wait a bit a stretch my budget to accommodate!

I Love them, I personally think they don't get recommended enough.
Like SVS, aperion have a generous return period.
It took me about a week to decide that they were a keeper, and out the boxes went to the recycling

Now let's look at the final big picture for you.

Prime towers with bookshelf and center, $1850 + sub
Ultra bookshelf x4 (main and surround) and center $2700 + stands + sub
Ultra bookshelf with Bi/Di pole surrounds and center $2900 + stands + sub
aperion Verus Grand towers with bookshelf and center $3380 + sub

I would stay away from aperion sub, they make great speaker but the sub are there weak point, I would stick to SVS, HSU, PSA and others that are know to make great sub.

All the above can be tried at your home.
I would say to go to their site and read all the review, pro and customer alike (sometime you have to read between the lines) to help with your decision.

So it is all of a matter of how you want to get there, fast or slow, depending of your final budget and to do it once.

Hope this help a little

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 06-07-2015 at 06:10 PM.
post #55 of 99 Old 06-21-2015, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry to jump in on this discussion. I too am looking to start up a new system from scratch.

I think I am sold on 2x SVS Ultra Bookshelf to start with as I am purchasing for the long-term. I might get the center soon afterwards and the SB-2000 later on again.

My only question is: Should I simply be looking at a receiver to begin with? The Onkyo TX-NR636 has already been mentioned, but so have pre-amps like in the OP. Totally confused what's important and where I should be starting out with.

Grateful for any help

Paul
post #56 of 99 Old 06-22-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul109 View Post
Sorry to jump in on this discussion. I too am looking to start up a new system from scratch.

I think I am sold on 2x SVS Ultra Bookshelf to start with as I am purchasing for the long-term. I might get the center soon afterwards and the SB-2000 later on again.

My only question is: Should I simply be looking at a receiver to begin with? The Onkyo TX-NR636 has already been mentioned, but so have pre-amps like in the OP. Totally confused what's important and where I should be starting out with.

Grateful for any help

Paul
The only thing I would look at is what you really need. IF you listen to higher levels I would get one with pre-outs so then you're able to add external power if need be.

AKG K712 Pros / SB ZxR
post #57 of 99 Old 10-12-2015, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Would a Denon AVR-710W be fine for a 3.1 setup consisting of the SVS Prime Bookshelf + Prime Centre + SB-1000 (or SB-2000)?

It will be used mostly for Movies and Gaming and some Music. Right now it will be a bit difficult to add rears so leaving those out for now. But if I were to get rears I would just add 2 Prime Satellites.

--------------------
Samsung UN60H7150AF/Xbox One
Denon AVR-S710W
SVS Prime Bookshelves - SVS Prime Center - SVS PB-1000 - Onkyo SKH-410

Last edited by milkk; 10-12-2015 at 05:47 PM. Reason: forgot some info.
post #58 of 99 Old 10-12-2015, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkk View Post
Would a Denon AVR-710W be fine for a 3.1 setup consisting of the SVS Prime Bookshelf + Prime Centre + SB-1000 (or SB-2000)?

It will be used mostly for Movies and Gaming and some Music. Right now it will be a bit difficult to add rears so leaving those out for now. But if I were to get rears I would just add 2 Prime Satellites.
Same power as my yammy and it gets plenty loud without losing dynamics.

📺 Sony (XBR-55X930D)
📻 Yamaha (RX-A780)
🎶 SVS (PRIME)

🔊 SVS (PB-1000)
SVS (PC12-NSD)
🎮Switch▪️PS4▪️Xbox One X 2.5TB
post #59 of 99 Old 10-12-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
Awesome Thanks for the info .

--------------------
Denon AVR-S710W
post #60 of 99 Old 10-13-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
Ted how big is the room you have your speakers in? I'm thinking that the Prime Bookshelves might be overkill for a 200 Sq.ft. room with 8 feet ceilings.

--------------------
Denon AVR-S710W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
5.1 surround sound , frontpage , svs prime

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page