SVS Prime Bookshelf 5.1 System Official AVS Forum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #61 of 99 Old 10-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkk View Post
Ted how big is the room you have your speakers in? I'm thinking that the Prime Bookshelves might be overkill for a 200 Sq.ft. room with 8 feet ceilings.
Smaller than that. With two ported subs

📺 Sony (XBR-55X930D)
📻 Yamaha (RX-A780)
🎶 SVS (PRIME)

🔊 SVS (PB-1000)
SVS (PC12-NSD)
🎮Switch▪️PS4▪️Xbox One X 2.5TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 99 Old 10-13-2015, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
Smaller than that. With two ported subs
LOL ok cools Prime it is then

--------------------
Samsung UN60H7150AF/Xbox One
Denon AVR-S710W
SVS Prime Bookshelves - SVS Prime Center - SVS PB-1000 - Onkyo SKH-410
post #63 of 99 Old 10-14-2015, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 33
What is everyone using for a stand for the Prime Bookshelf? I'm pretty new to all this stuff and most stands I'm seeing don't have a top base big enough for the whole speaker.

--------------------
Samsung UN60H7150AF/Xbox One
Denon AVR-S710W
SVS Prime Bookshelves - SVS Prime Center - SVS PB-1000 - Onkyo SKH-410
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 99 Old 11-18-2015, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
With Black Friday soon approaching I'm trying to fiqure out should I replace my aging Polk Audio RT800 Towers, Polk Audio CSI A4 Center with the SVS Prime bookshelf & Center. I already have a HSU STf-3 sub woofer which I will be keeping and it will be connected to a ONKYO TX-NR737 Receiver.

I’m having a really hard time trying to convince myself whether I will hear a big difference compared to what I already have but have been itching to get even better sound for a while now. I read the reviews and they just rave about these speakers from SVS so what do you guys think.

Panasonic TC-PS60 plasma • Anthem MRX 510 • OPPO DV-980H • Rogers Nextbox 2.0 8642 HD • Playstation 3 • HTPC (AMD A10-7850K APU, GTX 1060) • SVS Ultra Series Speakers • HSU STF-3 Subwoofer
post #65 of 99 Old 11-18-2015, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynP5 View Post
With Black Friday soon approaching I'm trying to fiqure out should I replace my aging Polk Audio RT800 Towers, Polk Audio CSI A4 Center with the SVS Prime bookshelf & Center. I already have a HSU STf-3 sub woofer which I will be keeping and it will be connected to a ONKYO TX-NR737 Receiver.

I’m having a really hard time trying to convince myself whether I will hear a big difference compared to what I already have but have been itching to get even better sound for a while now. I read the reviews and they just rave about these speakers from SVS so what do you guys think.
There are many companies that sell speakers. I like SVS, but you also have Chane, HTD, Cambridge, Emptek, Tannoy, RSL, Aperion, etc.

I went from the Polk Audio Monitor line to the Chane A3-rx-c, and now the Chane A5rx-c for front and Chane A2rx-c center and the sound difference was like night and day.

I was looking for a neutral / warm sounding speaker and that's what I've got from Chane. The Polk Audio were too bright, and the Polk Audio LSiM line were out of my budget.
post #66 of 99 Old 11-18-2015, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I don't know anything about what you can get in Canada. I've got a friend who has his own HT business in Canada. He installs and sells pretty expensive equipment.
post #67 of 99 Old 11-20-2015, 07:51 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
Yeah, I don't know anything about what you can get in Canada. I've got a friend who has his own HT business in Canada. He installs and sells pretty expensive equipment.
Ended up getting demo SVS Ultra's off Canuck Audio Mart for the same price as the SVS Prime series, so hope I've made the right decision.

Panasonic TC-PS60 plasma • Anthem MRX 510 • OPPO DV-980H • Rogers Nextbox 2.0 8642 HD • Playstation 3 • HTPC (AMD A10-7850K APU, GTX 1060) • SVS Ultra Series Speakers • HSU STF-3 Subwoofer
post #68 of 99 Old 11-20-2015, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynP5 View Post
Ended up getting demo SVS Ultra's off Canuck Audio Mart for the same price as the SVS Prime series, so hope I've made the right decision.
Let us know how you like them.
post #69 of 99 Old 02-11-2016, 06:14 PM

Liked: 0
I'm really interested in these speakers, but have heard good things regarding Klipsch as well. Has anyone had any experience with both, either bookshelf or tower?
post #70 of 99 Old 02-11-2016, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLegend View Post
I'm really interested in these speakers, but have heard good things regarding Klipsch as well. Has anyone had any experience with both, either bookshelf or tower?
Who told you good things about Klipsch? If you want ear bleeding speakers then you go with Klipsch.
post #71 of 99 Old 02-11-2016, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Lethal,

Shoot me an email.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #72 of 99 Old 02-28-2016, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 444
I currently have Prime Satellites for my surrounds and ELAC B5s for my L/R (no center on purpose) and a PSA XV15 sub powered by a Denon X3200 AVR.

I am thrilled with the ELACs, but there is this annoying little voice in my head that says "try the Prime Bookshelfs" because I'm so happy with the PSs as my surrounds.

I'm wondering if anyone here has heard both a B5 and PB? I am still in the return window for the B5s and I know I can try out the SVSs for 45 days, but I hate returning things that aren't broken.

Any opinions short of "SVS rules, and ELAC sux" are welcomed!
post #73 of 99 Old 02-28-2016, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2776 Post(s)
Liked: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
I currently have Prime Satellites for my surrounds and ELAC B5s for my L/R (no center on purpose) and a PSA XV15 sub powered by a Denon X3200 AVR.

I am thrilled with the ELACs, but there is this annoying little voice in my head that says "try the Prime Bookshelfs" because I'm so happy with the PSs as my surrounds.

I'm wondering if anyone here has heard both a B5 and PB? I am still in the return window for the B5s and I know I can try out the SVSs for 45 days, but I hate returning things that aren't broken.

Any opinions short of "SVS rules, and ELAC sux" are welcomed!
I have the prime bookshelves and previously used Sony Core Bookshelves, which are in the same category as the B5. Huge improvement overall, especially with music.
post #74 of 99 Old 02-28-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
I have the prime bookshelves and previously used Sony Core Bookshelves, which are in the same category as the B5. Huge improvement overall, especially with music.
Thanks for that, although we disagree on the B5s and the Sony Core's being in the same category, but I get what you're saying.

I saw a review of the Prime Towers http://hometheaterreview.com/svs-pri...viewed/?page=2 and they measure out to be a 4 ohm speaker, and I saw a review of the Prime Satellite http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...JTbZM2MXscy.97 that showed them to have a minimum impedance of 4.56 ohms which puts them between a 6 and 4 ohm speaker, based on the 80% of the nominal impedance rule.

I'm a little worried about what the Prime Bookshelves actually are in terms of impedance, because it looks like SVS is a little, "generous" with their specs?
post #75 of 99 Old 02-28-2016, 08:33 PM

The primes are easy to drive loud and clean with a entry level avr. Not sure of exact ohms though.
D Bone likes this.
post #76 of 99 Old 02-29-2016, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
The primes are easy to drive loud and clean with a entry level avr. Not sure of exact ohms though.
You were quick to upgrade from those Sony Cores/Dayton Audio SUB1200!
Even though you made those upgrades a while ago, congrats. Welcome to the upgrade bug.

What did you do with your Sony Cores (and center) along with your surrounds? I forget what those were. I just remember helping you out a lot when you were starting all the upgrades when you purchased the Sony Cores/SUB1200 and surrounds.

------------------------------------------------
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : L/R - Statements by Jim Holtz
Surround Speakers : Klipsch RF-82II x 4 / RP-280F x 2
Subwooferage : 6 UM18/4 HT18 Subwoofer Log
post #77 of 99 Old 02-29-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
You were quick to upgrade from those Sony Cores/Dayton Audio SUB1200!
Even though you made those upgrades a while ago, congrats. Welcome to the upgrade bug.

What did you do with your Sony Cores (and center) along with your surrounds? I forget what those were. I just remember helping you out a lot when you were starting all the upgrades when you purchased the Sony Cores/SUB1200 and surrounds.
Yeah, the Sonys gave me a taste of high quality audio and I was basically hooked from there to get the Dayton sub and Cambridge surrounds.

I was never fully satisfied with the Dayton, though the MiniDSP helped greatly with the 2 huge modal peaks that were hurting sq.

The Rythmik is amazing, especially in terms of refinement.

The SVS primes are equally good and pair very well with the Rythmik.

I sold the Dayton a couple months ago. Not sure if I want to sell the Sonys or Cambridges. I was quite happy with them up til the point I got the primes. I could always use them in another room or keep as backups. And their still great speakers at their price point.

Anyhow, I'm now running a 3.1 setup as I don't have the room for proper surround placement and 3.1 actually sounds better than the 5.1 I was doing before.
post #78 of 99 Old 03-14-2016, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I am using the "Ultimate Support JSMS70 Speaker Stand" for bookshelves, and "VideoSecu 2 Heavy duty PA DJ Club Adjustable Satellite Speaker Stand MS07B M99" for satellite surrounds. I required a few mm of padding on both sides for the satellites, for them to fit secure since the stand is a few mm wider. Both stands are very sturdy.
post #79 of 99 Old 06-10-2016, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone compared these to the NHT Classic 2's?
post #80 of 99 Old 10-18-2016, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 145
For what it's worth... I recently bought a SVS Prime bookshelf 5.1 system for my HT. I spent a lot of time reading and listening to neighbors/friends HT systems and listening to everything I could at several well stocked and represented HT/audio retailers in Omaha. During this unhurried process, of all the brands/models I listened too, one specific product got and kept my attention....that was the SVS PB 2000 subwoofer. I also heard the SVS satellites and was impressed with them compared to every other "little" speaker I heard, but that wasn't what I was in the market for. My point is that SVS products got my attention two times. I also listened to several flat panel (on wall speakers) which sounded (disappointingly) a lot like many (and often incredibly expensive) in-wall installations I've heard. Having owned some pretty good "enclosure" speakers over the years, I quickly reconfirmed my preference to "enclosures" based on my listening taste, their overall frequency response, dispersion, ease of replacement/upgrade, and ability to move them around and tweak them. After much listening to "these" front's with "that" center, and "those fronts" with a different center, etc, etc, etc, the only speaker that I really liked was the SVS Sub. Not convinced by any fronts or centers I'd heard, I re-read all the SVS bookshelf reviews and thought the reviews sound no better or worse than everything else I've listened too so far...including quite a few speakers that got glowing reviews but weren't so great with a center channel and/or sub. So, I decided to order the Prime bookshelf 5.1 system with the PB-2000 and listen to it in my home for 45 days.

I knew from experience that bookshelf placement and mounting is under-rated and critical, so I got some heavy, sand filled 30" stands to isolate and de-couple the enclosures and to get the tweeters up to that critical 40" listening-ear level. Stands also allow for easy placement adjustments critical to optimizing any kind of speaker. I got a matching sand filled center stand that allows for vertical aiming of the tweeter to ear level. My HT allows wall mounting of surrounds (SVS Satellites) at near perfect listening geometry. Fronts are 13 feet apart, 14 feet from center listening position with slight tow-in, 10 inches from wall, in a just over 2800CF room.

First impressions were somewhat opposite of what I had read and expected. Tweeters/highs were somewhat muted and not as bright or present as portrayed in reviews. I also knew from experience that "burn-in", "break-in" or whatever anyone wishes to call it, MIGHT or MIGHT NOT make a significant difference and only time would tell. So I manually adjusted speaker distances and the sound stage (tow-in and wall distance) to my liking and then ran Audyssey HT-32 and tweaked the sub per SVS recommendations with a 90hz cutoff. My plan was to let them run the music channel for several days and re-run Audyssey and then give the tweeters another serious listen.

Verdict is I'm keeping them. Much to my surprise and liking, and to a greater degree than any other speakers I've owned, this tweeter was substantially different sounding after 50 hours of "break-in. Let's be real here...it didn't become a ESS AMT Heil air motion transformer....but it is smoother and a pretty darned good domed metal tweeter. The bookshelves/center combination are more transparent than I expected at this price point with very good placement and soundstage, detailed dialogue, and surprisingly quick response and good movie dynamics driven by 125 WPC. Frankly, I'm surprised by how much I like this set-up for music...better than I expected based on the bookshelf reviews. Personally, I like the SVS Prime center as much as many $500 + centers I auditioned (many were "Boomy"). I consider it a bargin and central to making the parts of this surround system work together as well as they do. As I experienced from listening auditions of the PB-2000 with more than a few other "fronts" there is no localization of the SVS sub...and, with the SVS system there is a very good aural illusion that the bass is coming from center channel without too much competing bass from the center or the center overpowering the low end from the fronts....well done SVS! as this was a major issue I had with most of the systems I listened too.

A suspicion I confirmed after listening to many different front/center/sub brands, models, and combinations was that I much preferred the sound of fronts/center and even subs when all the components were from the same manufacturer. Speaker designers have clearly learned a lot about building and matching surround systems in the last decade. My advice to anyone is to listen to the manufacturers complete "system" before you start mixing and matching stuff based on reviews or recommendations....even from the salesmen. Honestly, I listened to multiple screwed-up sounding surround systems comprised of some highly regarded speakers from different manufacturers that were "packaged" and "highly recommended". My point is: I probably would have never bought the Prime bookshelves based on reviews or listening to them in a 2.0 system. However, with the "matched" center, sub and surrounds, the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. I really went into this expecting to spend a lot more money.

Last edited by JonfromCB; 10-18-2016 at 12:20 PM.
post #81 of 99 Old 11-30-2016, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
So I manually adjusted speaker distances and the sound stage (tow-in and wall distance) to my liking and then ran Audyssey HT-32 and tweaked the sub per SVS recommendations with a 90hz cutoff. .
Hi Jon, can you elaborate on what you did here, what AVR sub setting?

(I did no hard work on picking my 5.1 like you (now 5.2 dual PC2000) prime bookshelf set up, I jumped straight in based on AVF reviews, and I'm very happy but I'm still fiddling with speaker placement a bit).
post #82 of 99 Old 11-30-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevmo View Post
Hi Jon, can you elaborate on what you did here, what AVR sub setting?

(I did no hard work on picking my 5.1 like you (now 5.2 dual PC2000) prime bookshelf set up, I jumped straight in based on AVF reviews, and I'm very happy but I'm still fiddling with speaker placement a bit).
Sure Bevmo, Sorry if there is any redundancy in this. I started by adjusting the positions of the left and right fronts (Center channel off) using a few of my favorite recordings while sitting in the center position, I first got a feel for how they were affected by back and side wall proximity. As both front bookshelves are near corners I had a good idea that corner tuning was going to be to my advantage. Basically lots of back and forth moving speakers in and out from back wall and side walls until I got the best balance of low/mids/highs and nice sound stage depth. I was aiming for placement width/sidewall proximity that provided a soundstage just a little wider than my 109 inch wide screen and backwall distance that also provided good soundstage depth. I was surprised by how close these speakers can be to the back wall and still provide good stage depth. Next, I started experimenting with tow-in, paying particular attention to maintain voice and instrument placement in the soundstage while sitting in all the other off center seats adjusting tow-in, in order to insure the best left/right speaker dispersion, lowest sidewall reflections, and L/R balance I could get to all the left and right off-center seating. Once set, I used string and measurements to insure mirror image tow-in, backwall distance, and sidewall distance, basically insuring both speakers were as equally placed as humanly possible. My tow-in set has a straight line from both tweeters crossing about two feet behind center listening position . As described, I had already bought stands that placed the tweeters at 40 inches from floor. When I liked the soundstage positioning of the L/R, I simply placed the center channel on-center of course, and at the same backwall distance as the L/R. Using a string, I adjusted center speaker angle aiming the tweeter towards the 40 inch high ear position in the center listening seat. On to side surrounds....both are wall mounted using the SVS"ball" mounts. Only adjustment possible was to again angle tweeters (string/sight method) towards the center seating position. The Sub, one PB 2000...I already knew the best sub position based on my previous system. Per SVS, I calibrated it to 75 db using the sub calibration feature in my AVR setup and then ran Audyssey and then let the music channel run for a couple of days other than watching a couple of TV shows. After that I ran Audyssey again and then made manual tweaks to the sub, setting all crossovers to 90 hz and adjusting the gain to my preferred amount of bass putting the gain knob between 1 and 2 o'clock. I had to manually set the speaker sizes to "small" which was different from what Audyssey had assigned and again set all speaker crossovers to 90hz which again Audyssey had re-set.

That's pretty much my process/system. Occasionally I tweak the sub gain, especially for CDs and concerts on Paladia where bass levels in the recordings vary a lot. Other than that Audyssey has speaker distances and EQ just how I like it. I get a lot of "wow"s and "how much did this cost you? " from friends and neighbors, some who have pretty nice custom install HT setups. Hope this helps.

Last edited by JonfromCB; 11-30-2016 at 10:37 PM.
post #83 of 99 Old 12-01-2016, 08:28 AM

Which AVR do you have?
post #84 of 99 Old 12-01-2016, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Thanks Jon for all the details.

At the moment I have about 7-8" gap behind the L/Rs and about 5" behind the PC-2000 ports. I have not played around much moving the speakers in and out from the wall yet. Everything is toed in pretty well to the MLP and I have some decent stands, the Sanus UB-SF26 and EF-SATB recommended on the SVS accessory site that put the tweeter exactly at ear level.

Based on what you said I think I should go back and do some simple stereo music listening without Audyssey, and see for myself what impact the distance from the wall and corner really has before letting Audyssey work it's magic.

Since you raised your speakers up to 90Hz crossover / recommended by SVS, I think my Denon AVR 2200 measured them at 60Hz L/R and 40Hz center or something like that and I raised them up to 80Hz as per AVS Audyssey FAQ (or THX?). Another thing I can play around with.
---

I have an unconventional room, attic space, narrow at about 21ft long x 15ft wide but only 3ft walls at side going to 11ft ridge point, and it's half open to one side of the display. I don't have many options for sub placement. When I had a single sub I put it in the corner. Now I have two I moved the bookshelves wider apart to form something closer to an equilateral triangle - they are about 10ft apart and it's 11ft to the listening position, so across my display wall I can either go:
LH sub1 Center sub2 RH as of now
or back to sub1 LH Center RH sub2

I believe the subs need to be relatively symmetrical to the listening position as my AVR only EQs one sub (internal splitter). Audyssey advises on the gain I think, I only have the sub knob at about 9am so the AVR levels at -3db as I'm supposed to be in the -5 to 0 range I think.

If I play around a bit more I may take this to the SVS support thread. I don't have any issues to solve, just curious if I'm getting the most out of what I have. Cheers.

Last edited by Bevmo; 12-01-2016 at 10:37 PM.
post #85 of 99 Old 12-02-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Which AVR do you have?
Denon AVRX4200W
post #86 of 99 Old 12-02-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevmo View Post
Thanks Jon for all the details.

At the moment I have about 7-8" gap behind the L/Rs and about 5" behind the PC-2000 ports. I have not played around much moving the speakers in and out from the wall yet. Everything is toed in pretty well to the MLP and I have some decent stands, the Sanus UB-SF26 and EF-SATB recommended on the SVS accessory site that put the tweeter exactly at ear level.

Based on what you said I think I should go back and do some simple stereo music listening without Audyssey, and see for myself what impact the distance from the wall and corner really has before letting Audyssey work it's magic.

Since you raised your speakers up to 90Hz crossover / recommended by SVS, I think my Denon AVR 2200 measured them at 60Hz L/R and 40Hz center or something like that and I raised them up to 80Hz as per AVS Audyssey FAQ (or THX?). Another thing I can play around with.
---

I have an unconventional room, attic space, narrow at about 21ft long x 15ft wide but only 3ft walls at side going to 11ft ridge point, and it's half open to one side of the display. I don't have many options for sub placement. When I had a single sub I put it in the corner. Now I have two I moved the bookshelves wider apart to form something closer to an equilateral triangle - they are about 10ft apart and it's 11ft to the listening position, so across my display wall I can either go:
LH sub1 Center sub2 RH as of now
or back to sub1 LH Center RH sub2

I believe the subs need to be relatively symmetrical to the listening position as my AVR only EQs one sub (internal splitter). Audyssey advises on the gain I think, I only have the sub knob at about 9am so the AVR levels at -3db as I'm supposed to be in the -5 to 0 range I think.

If I play around a bit more I may take this to the SVS support thread. I don't have any issues to solve, just curious if I'm getting the most out of what I have. Cheers.

Bevmo, Sounds like a good plan. Play around with your wall proximity. It's the easiest way to "tune" your speakers. Good choice of stands. Decoupling and isolating speakers is always a good thing....and people can't figure out why their in-wall and on-wall speakers don't deliver a great holographic soundstage. If you haven't filled your stands with sand, I highly recommend it, but it is a PITA. Drill the three holes out in the welded brace at the top of each tube and make it easier on yourself. Audyssey also set my crossovers to some weird settings, I played around with them but in the end, setting all to 90hz just plain sounded best...exactly what SVS told me in the beginning.

Subs are another animal, You might want to get some experienced advice from the SVS thread. 8 foot low frequency sound waves are some tough animals to tame. I have a two sub music only system. My "learned the hard way" approach is to do a "sub crawl" to find the best 4 options and then start trying combinations of the two subs in the best 4 positions. Quite often, best results will not be with them in the #1 and #2 positions. I've never ended up with two sub systems tuned with both subs set at equal gain (volume). I've used the "symmetry" first approach in the past, (and sometimes very successfully), but as time has passed, the "pick the top 4 best spots" and then try different combinations has been very successful for me. Don't worry about your "unconventional space" that can actually work to your advantage once you get your soundstage right for your listening position. I love those SVS cylinders. The small footprint gives you more placement options. By ear, tune tune tune your front soundstage, then start tuning the subs, then run Audyssey. I'm still amazed by the Prime center speaker. Get the front L/R set and then listen to magic when you add the center. Please keep us posted.
Matt2026 likes this.

Last edited by JonfromCB; 12-02-2016 at 08:23 AM.
post #87 of 99 Old 12-02-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
Quote:
Which AVR do you have?
Denon AVRX4200W
Thanks, I have a feeling that my current Yamaha AVR has a SQ that makes the primes sound a bit too forward/bright/slightly harsh.

I'm considering a Denon AVR-X3300W next holiday season. I've read that it has a warmer sound that rolls off the top end to make it smoother and easier on the ears vs. the competing Yamaha Aventage AVRs like the 1060.

I also want it for the Audyssey XT32, since my version of YPAO is basically unusable in terms of SQ and dones little to improve the bass and midrange.

How do you like your X4200?

I'm currently using cheaper Sony Bookshelves as side surrounds in a 5.1 setup. Do you think getting Prime Bookshelves as side surrounds to match my Prime Bookshelves and center fronts would be worth the money in terms of overall performance and SQ?
post #88 of 99 Old 12-02-2016, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I don't think they will be a big diff. in sound by changing the sony's you have for the surrounds. The front 3 are the most used speakers and are all closer to each other so they need to be matched. As long as your receiver does a decent job in eq them it should be fine. I have a friend who has diff. surrounds and he bought matching ones to the front 3 speakers and we noticed no difference. I think if you have the crossovers right on the surrounds you should be ok. We did notice on his he had the crossover to low (70hz) and when raising it to 90hz it sounded cleaner.
post #89 of 99 Old 12-02-2016, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've had my Prime setup for around a month or two and I absolutely love them. I have a Denon X2300W and it powers them without issue. I have the fronts and center set to 60hz and the rear satellites set to 80hz. To me it sounds better than at 80hz across the board.

Equipment - Silverticket 100" - BenQ HT2050 - Denon X4300H - Pioneer BDP-150 - HTPC, Xbox One X - Sennheiser RS170 Headphones - APC C25B Power Filter
Speakers 5.2.4 - SVS Prime Center, Bookshelves, Satellites, 2x PB-2000, Micca R-8C (Atmos)
HTPC - Intel Core i3-3220, 8GB DDR3 1600, 1050ti 4GB, 7TB of HDD's, LG Bluray
post #90 of 99 Old 12-02-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post
I don't think they will be a big diff. in sound by changing the sony's you have for the surrounds. The front 3 are the most used speakers and are all closer to each other so they need to be matched. As long as your receiver does a decent job in eq them it should be fine. I have a friend who has diff. surrounds and he bought matching ones to the front 3 speakers and we noticed no difference. I think if you have the crossovers right on the surrounds you should be ok. We did notice on his he had the crossover to low (70hz) and when raising it to 90hz it sounded cleaner.
Good to know; I am using a global 90Hz crossover for all 5 speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
5.1 surround sound , frontpage , svs prime

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page