Can I play music/watch movies with a driver removed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-15-2015, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Can I play music/watch movies with a driver removed

I have some paradigm monitor 11 v2 floorstanders. Had to remove one of the 6.5 drivers to replace a surround and was wondering if it's safe for the rest of the drivers if I continue to listen to music and watch movies without the one driver in the cabinet. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-15-2015, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5777
It's only safe at very low levels, as having one driver removed upsets the enclosure tuning and the crossover function.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-15-2015, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
OK thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-15-2015, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2321 Post(s)
Liked: 1533
Crossovers are tuned to a specific frequency, but in the calculation for that frequency, the speaker load comes into play.

For example, if I take a crossover tuned to 800hz between 8 ohm woofers and 8 ohm tweeters, and replace the woofer with a 4 ohm driver, that effects the crossover.

In the above crossover the Tweeter will stay at 800hz, but the woofer crossover will drop down to 400hz, leaving a very large gap in the response between 400hz and 800hz.

However, if you replace the woofer with a 16 ohms driver, then the crossover will jump to 1600hz leaving a large overlap between 800hz and 1600hz.

So, while it will probably work, it won't sound right.

You could correct the load by substituting a 8 ohm power resistor in place of the driver. Assuming that the drivers are 8 ohms. I'm guessing for casual use you would need minimum a 20w resistor, though more likely a 50w to 100w resistor would be better.

Then we come to the issue of Cabinet Tuning. The port in a cabinet is very tightly tied to the internal volume of the cabinet. Like Pipe Organ pipe, the length and diameter of the Port are very specific. If yo leave a large opening where the missing speaker once was, the cabinet becomes tuned to a whole new frequency.

Say as an example, the cabinet tuning would rise from 30hz up to about 80hz.

Steve/bluewizard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page