Why the criticism of Bose? - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 362Likes

post #301 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
It's called marketing. There are many companies that have a huge marketing campaign. Apple is another.

Ask a customer why brand Apple/Bose is the best and they'll come out with the marketing spiel, rather than own informed opinion. Most people who buy Bose or Apple is they don't know any better. Bose/Apple is best...but can't say why. I then use the "well can you replace Bose speakers with something else, keeping the Bose unit and bass module" or "Can you replace the Bose unit but keeping the speakers and bass module" or "does the bose unit decode DD/DTS/HD audio" you then get a blank face with replies "Bose are great as they expensive"or "you just can't afford Bose" "Bose have patented direct/reflecting" or "Bose offers big sound from little speakers"

Same for Apple they think it's better but can't explain why. Certainly not for the price, customization, standardization, flexibility, or connectivity of the item. Point out competition, they say others copied Apple, despite the others coming up with the innovation. Or when you point out lack of a feature, saying well I don't need that. Until you show them, then they do. ie USB device, copy and paste with no need for crappy itunes, and software you use doesn't crap up your music in stupid file system. lol
I’ve sat here and read your anti-Apple rhetoric every time you think there is a straw of an analogy to grasp that can propel you to your pulpit. We get it, fatbottom. You hate Apple. You hate Bose or another audio company? Now that is on topic and something we can discuss here. This is an audio forum, or have you forgotten? Take your anti-Apple campaign to your computer-based forums where it belongs and where I’m sure you have many friends. ARS Technica has a good forum for that type of discussion. Your complaints about Apple are ancient news, and anything you write here, or elsewhere, has been written, rewritten, and argued over a million times in the past 30 plus years. We’ve all heard the same BS ad nauseam. While I can only speak for myself, I’m sick of Apple/PC discussions and I don’t care about ANY of your views, unless it’s on audio.
motrek likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
wrong. I didn't read a magazine telling me what I should buy, I looked at various products made up my own mind, based on requirements I want. ie if my criteria is drag and drop, USB HD device that rules out all Apple MP3 players. Another criteria is Rockbox support.
Unlike many other critics of Bose on this thread who I have learned from, your arguments are as void of original thought as any ad slogan printed on a magazine page. You are just repeating the mantra as mindlessly as if you were what you say you despise.

BIC Acoustech 5.0 (pl-980s/pl-28ii/pl-66s), HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP, Onkyo 626, Sharp LC-70C6600U, Sony Bluray, Apple TV, Four Sonos Play:1s and a Sonos Connect.

Last edited by DE Theater Room; 07-07-2015 at 02:43 AM.
post #303 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 527
hahahhahaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco View Post
Here's a reason to criticize Bose. This measurement is from my Mazda 6 with the Bose system. There is no equalizer, but this is the measured response with the bass turned all the way down.

Pretty good from 300 on up, but reasonably high volumes lead to distortion and vibration in the doors. Nothing I can do about it.
Actually, that response is good for Bose. They usually fall flat on their face at 16k. Looks like it extends a little deeper too. That peak looks like a de railed roller coaster from 6 flags. Still better than the usual Bose measurements.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
post #305 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
I’ve sat here and read your anti-Apple rhetoric every time you think there is a straw of an analogy to grasp that can propel you to your pulpit. We get it, fatbottom. You hate Apple. You hate Bose or another audio company? Now that is on topic and something we can discuss here. This is an audio forum, or have you forgotten? Take your anti-Apple campaign to your computer-based forums where it belongs and where I’m sure you have many friends. ARS Technica has a good forum for that type of discussion. Your complaints about Apple are ancient news, and anything you write here, or elsewhere, has been written, rewritten, and argued over a million times in the past 30 plus years. We’ve all heard the same BS ad nauseam. While I can only speak for myself, I’m sick of Apple/PC discussions and I don’t care about ANY of your views, unless it’s on audio.
Every time I try to play a file on an Apple, it wants to convert it to the Apple format. Maybe Apple should just play the file instead of transforming it into something they can control.

Have a peek at this while your at it: http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...sic-collection

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
post #306 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post
Actually, that response is good for Bose. They usually fall flat on their face at 16k. Looks like it extends a little deeper too. .....Still better than the usual Bose measurements.
I thought the same thing comparing it to other graphs posted on this thread.

BIC Acoustech 5.0 (pl-980s/pl-28ii/pl-66s), HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP, Onkyo 626, Sharp LC-70C6600U, Sony Bluray, Apple TV, Four Sonos Play:1s and a Sonos Connect.
post #307 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Every time I try to play a file on an Apple, it wants to convert it to the Apple format. Maybe Apple should just play the file instead of transforming it into something they can control.

Have a peek at this while your at it: http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...sic-collection
Don't waste your time, they're too far gone. Remember Apple devices are "magical"

I stick with open source formats, flac, vorbis and all my devices support them, from portable music players, media streamer, audio streamer, PC, android devices. I don't have to lock myself into a single system or a proprietary format. I can have a wallet of micro SD cards for music, movies, or even use a USB stick for USB on the go. I can use a PSX controller, USB keyboard, USB moise with a tablet. I don't have to pay extortionate prices for a memory upgrade I can just add a 32GB SD card for about £20 LOL

I have full LCD remote control from my MP3 player. I'm not paying 3x the price for same Intel CPU and motherboard.

post #308 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Don't waste your time, they're too far gone. Remember Apple devices are "magical"

I stick with open source formats, flac, vorbis and all my devices support them, from portable music players, media streamer, audio streamer, PC, android devices. I don't have to lock myself into a single system or a proprietary format. I can have a wallet of micro SD cards for music, movies, or even use a USB stick for USB on the go. I can use a PSX controller, USB keyboard, USB moise with a tablet. I don't have to pay extortionate prices for a memory upgrade I can just add a 32GB SD card for about £20 LOL

I have full LCD remote control from my MP3 player. I'm not paying 3x the price for same Intel CPU and motherboard.
Why anyone would want to carry around USBs and a wallet full of micro SD cards is beyond me, unless you can't get your devices to work together/play your music without them.

I can do all of what you describe with my phone, but hey, any amount of time an inconvenience is worth it to save a few $.

Do you sew your own close too, so you don't have to pay 3x the price for cotton and wool?

post #309 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 06:33 AM

Because I can. You can't. LOL And because I can carry 1 TB with me, if needed. I could have all my music collection as open source lossless flac if I wanted. A 64GB usb stick is durable and easily transferred from desktop, to mobile use, with USB OTG cable.

I don't have to pay £400 for extra 64GB internal storage that can't be removed.

If I want, I can connect a 4TB HD to a my android device. LOL can have 4TB of local storage with your iphone? well?? Hey I know you're a Apple sheep and told what to do, what to think, and when to jump off a cliff..

apple fans...did you swoon when Jobs came out with hipster words? lol

I can also easily change the battery. I can also connect it to the TV with a standard micro HDMI to HDMI cable available for about £5. How much does the Apple cable cost to do that? haha

How much is a generic micro USB to USB cable? How much is the Apple lightning cable?
post #310 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 4tb and I don't need to carry it with me since I can access it from anywhere. Actually I have unlimited storage that I can access from anywhere. Therefore the 32gb in my nexus never causes issues.... Same for Apple guys.

I hate apple myself, but these arguments by fat bottom are strange and old and really reaching. I I'd shoot myself if I had to carry around a ton of SD cards and have to manage them. There are reason to hate apple, and expandable storage is one of them if you live in 2008.

On topic, I've had nose noise cancelling head phones for about 10 ears and I love them. Sound quality has been great on them as far as I'm concerned. Their customer support is top notch too.... I've had parts replaced, including the headphones themselves one past the warranty.... They didn't even charge me for shipping.

Not sure about the home audio system....never owned any but I remember hearing at the store way way back (back then I remember thinking bose was the best and I have no idea why) and I thought it sounded good. But it was set up in its own section and I had to stand in the sweet spot, and it was a tiny 8x8 section I think. But I'm sure I just didn't know better back then...and my standards are higher today.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #311 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Actually, that response is good for Bose. They usually fall flat on their face at 16k. Looks like it extends a little deeper too. That peak looks like a de railed roller coaster from 6 flags. Still better than the usual Bose measurements.

Being up 15dB at about 100Hz is not good at all, especially above low volume levels. Wish there was something I could do about it. The rest of the spectrum sounds pretty good.
post #312 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 457
I will say I love our bose sound link mini. It has substantial bass and clarity and before I bought it I did WAYY to much research and listening comparisons. Great speaker and excellent size. I got it for my wife's office and to take with her for traveling, she travels a lot. We have outdoor speakers installed and we use the sound link far more then we should for outdoor BBQ. Just for fun we put it in tin barrel on its side then put the sound link in it. WoW it was like there is a sub hiding some place, very impressed.

As for their Surround sound systems, they don't sound horrid. They do substantial marketing and people that buy bose typically just want something that sounds "good" and can afford it. Nothing wrong with that, not everyone is into speakers or really cares how much better they do or dont sound compared to other speaker brands. They are small which is a concern to some people and sound half way decent.

Would I buy them for HT? No, I needed a small satellite system and went with Kef 3005's which IMO sound leaps and bounds better than all the bose systems I have seen and are about the same size. I also had four subs in my tv room. The HT room Has the big speakers but cant really justify comparing large foot print speakers to bose cubs.

I drive past their factory daily. Huge building and I know a few people that work their. They have a odd No food at your desk policy they only allow water.

The noise canceling headphones are also amazing, they work better than any other noise canceling head phone. Do they sound the best ? No but they cancel noise better than any other and for someone who flys weekly they are a life saver.
post #313 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Maybe I should leave this thread, I am building a system that falls 10db from 13khz because instruments don't go that high even in resonances.
I would say Bose sucks for the sole reason that Bose customers tend to respond to any systems like "Yeah this is good, but you should hear my Bose". But I must say its genius of the Bose brass. What they have done is purposefully make Bose systems sound much different from what everyone aims for (flat response), then they make customers believe that's a good thing. Car manufacturers have done this masterfully lately, making the noise from cars into a beloved sound, as opposed to the quiet zoom of electric cars they made the noise pollution a selling feature. Bose has made its noise a selling feature. Probably made more jobs than ten companies that actually tried to remove the noise or engineer around it. Funny that.
post #314 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I ask that people stay on topic, and you pop up with this? Simply mind numbing that a few people here can’t comprehend that this is a speaker forum.
Kysersose likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #315 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Try to stay on topic or you will be removed from the thread.

Thanks,

K

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #316 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 3437 Post(s)
Liked: 4124
Quote:
I ask that people stay on topic, and you pop up with this? Simply mind numbing that a few people here can’t comprehend that this is a speaker forum.
Is this better?

tritiumglo likes this.
post #317 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Yes. I want one!

post #318 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

This, times a billion.

Although to be fair, that article was written in 2004, and perhaps after all the criticism, Bose has improved their designs since then, but the damage to their reputation has been done and once cemented, is very difficult to undo.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #319 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 2097
To sum this mess up,

This is AVS forum so instead of ear buds and plastic speakers--put it to a standard and go.

Since I don't have Bose products, maybe the Bose fans out there can provide a clue on the proper Bose products to use to achieve 105 dB at the seated position? What model of subwoofer (bass module) would give correct response at 20Hz and below? How many bass boxes are required? Suggested room placement options? Any issues firing the Bose speakers through a movie screen? Solutions to those problems?

Do the jewel speakers work best with both boxes on axis? 45, 90, 180 degrees off-axis and what angles should be used for 5 channel VS 7 channel VS 9 channel etc? Do you find with your Atmos systems that the cubes work best flush mounted in the ceiling, run on brackets or does the bounce type Atmos enabled work best for the cubes?

In reality, it won't meet reference standards of 105 dB at seated position--but how close does it get? -5dB down? -10dB down? Can other subwoofers be used with the Bose system to improve low end response? If so, what alignment works best to mesh with the bass modules? Would you suggest running large subwoofers at 40Hz and below and crossing the modules at that point? What settings on parametric EQ's work well with the cube speakers when used as mains, center channels or surrounds?

Where are the threads "I have a Bose system and added Brand X subwoofer and here are the results" How about "Swapped the Bose drivers in my cubes for Brand X" full ranges to increase SPL and sound quality" Always wondered why some Bose fans have not posted "Modeled/tested the Bose cubes and made new cabinets with these results"

Speakers, as with most everything is built to a price point. Part of the hobby is to make what you have better by upgrading the compromises in the stock system. My Logitech 5.1 system was cannon fodder for my boys to destroy while I packed up my home theater and put it in storage. There is NO speaker that can handle 12 year old boys that know how to turn amplifiers on. 5 years later and only one blown speaker (and blown amplifiers) I did a search, found the specs, built some di-pole surrounds with "helper tweeters" with eight of those 3" full ranges and plywood. The braced 1/2" plywood with 1" baffles sealed and stuffedreally cleaned up the sound compared to the stock little plastic boxes. Since they are off-axis being 120 degree dipoles--I added helper or supertweeters to each side of the box to get the highs to measure properly.

Maybe the folks with the cube speakers have that option? Bill made a better 901 with Fostex speakers decades ago, I've always wondered what modifications made to the cube speakers worked well. The standard frequency response specs of 280Hz to 13,300 Hz +/- 10.5 dB at 85.1 dB 1w/1m can be improved. Any polyfill or coatings for the inside of the plastic boxes to improve the sound quality?

So what works best with Bose? The only tweak I ever did with one (besides replacing blown drivers) is to pitch the cubes and use bookshelf speakers with the bass module. The owner preferred that over building new cabinets, adding additional drivers etc. since the bass module output was not worth the effort. Somebody has to have the results of room correction EQ on their AVRs...time to fess up!
post #320 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
I will say I love our bose sound link mini. It has substantial bass and clarity and before I bought it I did WAYY to much research and listening comparisons. Great speaker and excellent size. I got it for my wife's office and to take with her for traveling, she travels a lot. We have outdoor speakers installed and we use the sound link far more then we should for outdoor BBQ. Just for fun we put it in tin barrel on its side then put the sound link in it. WoW it was like there is a sub hiding some place, very impressed.

As for their Surround sound systems, they don't sound horrid. They do substantial marketing and people that buy bose typically just want something that sounds "good" and can afford it. Nothing wrong with that, not everyone is into speakers or really cares how much better they do or dont sound compared to other speaker brands. They are small which is a concern to some people and sound half way decent.

Would I buy them for HT? No, I needed a small satellite system and went with Kef 3005's which IMO sound leaps and bounds better than all the bose systems I have seen and are about the same size. I also had four subs in my tv room. The HT room Has the big speakers but cant really justify comparing large foot print speakers to bose cubs.

I drive past their factory daily. Huge building and I know a few people that work their. They have a odd No food at your desk policy they only allow water.

The noise canceling headphones are also amazing, they work better than any other noise canceling head phone. Do they sound the best ? No but they cancel noise better than any other and for someone who flys weekly they are a life saver.
I helped a friend install his kef 3005 system- those babies rock! They can put some full-size speakers to shame. A lot of the credit goes to the great sub, but those are some extremely well-designed satellites. It may be the coaxial design or the solid, rounded shape, but THAT is the ideal against which all "lifestyle" (as in small satellite/sub systems) systems should be measured. Great choice.
post #321 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 01:32 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:

.I agree the open source lossless or whatever formats ,players like VLC and Foobar 2000 and editors like Audacity etc . are fine .

FWIW to the Apple fans mp3 was invented by Bell Telephone labs in the early 1960's and refined after that ,the fellow that started all that is a longstanding member here very interesting poster . .http://www.mp3mp3.me/mp3/Bell+Telephone+Labs

Ofc the iPod was not the first or best soundong mp3 player either .

I don't listen to lossless music or anything portable beyond the 1400 watt rms aftermarket custom I put in the truck although I used to and some of it ( high bit rate mp3/AAC) is fine outside of a quiet room .

I'm lucky to have a working pro studio playback chain here in the extensivly treated dedicated studio and the decent quality PC/ headphone rig I'm listening to right now in here in the home office playing spinning metal 24/41 lossless studio master replications that never saw a CD mix provenence and got squashed .

^^^^(big difference from your avarage uniform loudness CD .

OTOH some well recorded good 24/41>16/44 simple truncations end up on the rare good CD mix or premium label CD mix those are perfectly fine (when you can find them) on a case by case basis .

I'm playing some of those 24/41 studio master replications from spinning metal in here on the home office phone playback chain into some decent studio Sennsheiser cans beats the heck out of mp3 or morever 99% of the CD mixes out there .

Bose are more lifestyle products than Hi FI .I don't have any problem with them mine did /do (exactly ) what I asked of them just fine .

The majority of Bose bashers and self proclaimed audiophiles on forums everywhere probably dont realize just how mid fi and lacking AVR's and a lot of hifi speakers and many high priced audiophile configurations *really * are compared to a *decent professional playback chain in a treated studio that's usually a long country mile btw.

TBH (with some legitamate exceptions ) at least half of the posters Bashing Bose in this thread probably shouldent be bashing anything from where I sit ☻☻ .

Sent from Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation copy Build 10162

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-07-2015 at 09:18 PM.
post #322 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niro View Post
I have 4tb and I don't need to carry it with me since I can access it from anywhere. Actually I have unlimited storage that I can access from anywhere. Therefore the 32gb in my nexus never causes issues.... Same for Apple guys.

I hate apple myself, but these arguments by fat bottom are strange and old and really reaching. I I'd shoot myself if I had to carry around a ton of SD cards and have to manage them. There are reason to hate apple, and expandable storage is one of them if you live in 2008.

On topic, I've had[B] nose noise cancelling [B] head phones for about 10 ears and I love them. Sound quality has been great on them as far as I'm concerned. Their customer support is top notch too.... I've had parts replaced, including the headphones themselves one past the warranty.... They didn't even charge me for shipping.

Not sure about the home audio system....never owned any but I remember hearing at the store way way back (back then I remember thinking bose was the best and I have no idea why) and I thought it sounded good. But it was set up in its own section and I had to stand in the sweet spot, and it was a tiny 8x8 section I think. But I'm sure I just didn't know better back then...and my standards are higher today.

Are you talking sneeze suppression? If they could only come up with something for snoring. Sorry just messing with you.
post #323 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 02:49 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
This, times a billion.

Although to be fair, that article was written in 2004, and perhaps after all the criticism, Bose has improved their designs since then, but the damage to their reputation has been done and once cemented, is very difficult to undo.
FWIW anyone looking for high fidelity music or HT out of any small form factor spaekers outside of a closet or small bedroom is delusional or just has no concept of ( High Fidelity) IMO .

The Small Form Factor Klipsh or any small form system ain't nothoing to write home about beyond a few ft either it's all about moving air which any of those cannot do well due to thier incontrovertable physical limitations .

OTOH some of them are not bad (just not Hi FI ) in small rooms as long as you don't try to play them at elevated levels where they will always break up and anything Bose in a small form factor or their 5.1's have never been very musical at all but more of a lifestyle product IMO.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-07-2015 at 02:56 PM.
post #324 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Dude, step away from the coffee pot......

This doesn't have to turn into a personal attack. There's a very good marketing book called "Crossing the Chasm" where the author divides consumers into several categories based on what they look for in a product. There were five, with the first few being [I think] in order "Innovators," "Early Adopters," "Late Majority" "Trailing Edge, etc. Its always been my view that Apple targets the Late Majority in their sales effort. This is a group looking for some degree of comfort in their product selection. I myself skew towards Early Adopter - I had an mp3 player from Creative years before the iPod came out. But honestly the iPod was far better for the average consumer who just wanted to plug and play.
post #325 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 03:22 PM

Curious what you guys think of golden ear supersat speakers.... They get great reviews in general and they're tiny....the Supersat 3 might even be smaller than a bose cube.

They do have a tweeter though.

post #326 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niro View Post
Curious what you guys think of golden ear supersat speakers.... They get great reviews in general and they're tiny....the Supersat 3 might even be smaller than a bose cube.

They do have a tweeter though.

They would be a huge upgrade over the Bose Cube. They come with a folded ribbon tweeter, which alone, puts them miles ahead. Not only that, they come with specifications . Although, I am surprised they left out the +/- dB qualifier on their website .

post #327 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 03:45 PM

I realize they're a huge upgrade.... But considering everything you read that a speaker the size of a bose cube is simply not able to reproduce all the sound properly, why is it that the Golden ears sound good? Is it simply because they have a tweeter? I know you have to cross them pretty high, like 120 or so, but they are perfectly acceptable home theater speakers with a good sub.

post #328 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ The ribbon tweeter is a huge advantage, plus they have two 4-1/2" drivers. Ribbon tweeters are expensive (and very delicate). The cabinet size is larger, so that is why they can reach down to 80 Hz. But again, without the qualifier, I'm guessing.

post #329 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 2097
They are a foot tall!

Odd, they don't list the +/- 3dB spec, no FR charts or crossover frequencies.

I tend to get a bit cranky when I see a bunch of alphabet soup in the marketing clogging up the space where actual specifications should be located. Plenty of info about the marble infused plastic but no meaningful specifications. A Bose cube will do 80Hz to 20KHz as long as the variance is left blank.

Floyd Toole is right, car tires have more specs than most speaker spec sheets!
post #330 of 496 Old 07-07-2015, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMConey View Post
There were five, with the first few being [I think] in order "Innovators," "Early Adopters," "Late Majority" "Trailing Edge, etc. Its always been my view that Apple targets the Late Majority in their sales effort. This is a group looking for some degree of comfort in their product selection. I myself skew towards Early Adopter - I had an mp3 player from Creative years before the iPod came out. But honestly the iPod was far better for the average consumer who just wanted to plug and play.
I am glad you brought this up, IMO what Apple has done successfully is take technology that had been accepted by innovators and early adopters and innovated in such a way that the technology now appeals to "late majority." Late Majority is the biggest market segment and being first to market with products designed to appeal to this class is the source of their success.

Regarding Bose, you can't really say this because nothing has really changed in speaker technology. It's a mature industry with no changes I technology that would create this consumer classification. That being said, I think there are several other ways to divide consumers within a mature industry, like speakers, and from that you could identify the targets that the Bose products are designed for.
Pro-People likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Speakers

Tags
blose

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page