Upgrade Options Utilizing Existing Components? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-07-2015, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question Upgrade Options Utilizing Existing Components?

How can I best utilize my existing components for a 7.1 or even 9.1 setup so I don't have to sell any of my existing speakers?

I'd like to use the existing components in my current setup to upgrade when I have a fully dedicated media room.

Current setup is 5.1:
2 RF-82 ii towers
1 RC-62 Center
2 RS-52 Surrounds
1 PSA XS-30 Sub
Pioneer 1121 Receiver

My biggest upgrade opportunity I see is upgrading the center channel and 2 floorstanders, but open for suggestions. Could I use the rf-82s anywhere else so I wouldn't have to get rid of them? What about the existing center and surrounds?

I know the sub is good enough to reuse, but perhaps I could add another?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited by TransAmLS1; 07-09-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-09-2015, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any ideas?
post #3 of 14 Old 07-09-2015, 02:50 PM

Liked: 11
Buy 2 more RS-52's for rear speakers? I've been out of the game a while, I think your receiver can push 7.x.

That would be your best option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-10-2015, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Real View Post
Buy 2 more RS-52's for rear speakers? I've been out of the game a while, I think your receiver can push 7.x.

That would be your best option.
Thanks for your suggestion. You're right, it can push 7.1 but I'd probably upgrade the receiver to a 9.2 capable unit.

My idea was that I wanted a "higher end" system in the new media room. I want to upgrade to 9.2 and still be able to use my components, just in a lesser role. I'm wondering if that's possible.

For example, could I use the RF-82s as "Front High" or "Front Wide" and my existing surrounds and center in another role as well? I don't have a lot of experience with Front high or Front Wide, but my assumption is they can be "lesser" speakers than the 2 mains. Just wondering if this it would mesh well if I got a higher end center, mains, and another sub while still utilizing my existing speakers.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-10-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1651
Front high speakers would be above your normal front speakers are usually wall mounted. I don't think the RF-82 floorstanding towers would be good for that duty.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolog...logic-iiz.html

Simplest way to go 7.1 is get another pair for RS-52's.

If you want 7.1 using front heights then get another pair of bookshelf speakers. Maybe RB-51 or 61?

Afro GT
post #6 of 14 Old 07-10-2015, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7115 Post(s)
Liked: 6986
Sounds like you're planning on replacing your mains and center....what are you considering?

Sony XBR75X940D | Denon X4500H | Nvidia Shield | Synology NAS [52TB] | miniDSP 2x4 HD | TiVo Roamio
PSA MTM210 [x3] | Polk LS/fx [x4] | Klipsch RB61 [x2] | Crowson LvL3 MA [x2] | PSA TV42 Ipal [x2]
post #7 of 14 Old 07-10-2015, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Sounds like you're planning on replacing your mains and center....what are you considering?
Something a lot higher end. I'm wondering if I could use the rf 82-ii speakers as surrounds or front wides with much nicer mains.

Last edited by TransAmLS1; 07-10-2015 at 10:12 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-14-2015, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else have an opinion on utilizing the existing setup with a new set of higher end floorstanders?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-14-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAmLS1 View Post
Something a lot higher end. I'm wondering if I could use the rf 82-ii speakers as surrounds or front wides with much nicer mains.
I meant what speakers are you considering (and what is your budget)? "A lot higher end" doesn't give us much to go on.

Sony XBR75X940D | Denon X4500H | Nvidia Shield | Synology NAS [52TB] | miniDSP 2x4 HD | TiVo Roamio
PSA MTM210 [x3] | Polk LS/fx [x4] | Klipsch RB61 [x2] | Crowson LvL3 MA [x2] | PSA TV42 Ipal [x2]
post #10 of 14 Old 07-14-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
Well you have created something of a dilemma for responders to your post. You have essentially said, what can I do with what I have, and limiting it to what you have, the only response can be ... use what you have.

The Klipsch RF-82 ($370) are not exactly pixie speaker, they have TWO 8' bass drivers, meaning they move considerable air.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RF82...9140785&awdv=c

The Power Sound Audio CXS-30 Sub is equally not slouch - 15" driver, response flat to 19 hz, 130 spl, 725w amps -

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xs30

The Klipsch RC-62 Center ($350). The Center has TWO 6.5" bass drivers, that's about as big as a Center can get. I don't think I've seen any 2x8" Center speakers.

The Klipsch RS-52 ($299) are specifically Di/Bi-Pole Surround speakers -

http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Klipsch-R...FQeBaQodIE4Epw

So, the only question that needs to be asked now is ... do you like Klipsch?

I keep auditioning Klipsch at Best Buy, but they are not in the Magonlia audition rooms, they are on on the main floor stuck between two narrow isles. The Main Floor has a stunningly high ambient noise level, and the Klipsch really cut through it. Other similarly price speakers sound very recessed in all that noise clutter.

So, I suspect the Klipsch could to an amazing job for movies, given their price, but I suspect if the room is overly bright, the Klipsch could become overbearing. If you are building a true Home Cinema, they you definitely want to soften the room considerably.

If you like the Klipsch and you have limited money to throw around, I would be inclined to say an AVR upgrade tops the list.

The Pioneer 1121 Receiver seems to be somewhat middle of the road, last selling for $550. I think you would do better with a new AVR in say the $750 to $1000 range. Though you might find some bargains a the end of line.

Here is an example of bargains that can be frequently found. Here is a highly rated $1600 amp for the low price of $799 -

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR70...07.html?tp=179

Now as to moving to 7.1 or 9.1, that all hinges on the room.

We would need DETAILS on the room this will all be placed in. There is little point in moving to 7.1 in a small room. And even less point in moving to 9.1 in a less than ideal room considering there are no 9.1 sound tracks. All those extra channels are synthesized by electronic magic.

So, we need to know the details of the room? The Dimensions? A general description of the room so we can get some sense of the acoustics. The nature of the room, IE: Living room, dedicate home theater room, etc...? Where is the furniture place? Carpets? Curtain? Etc...?

Then most important of all, how much do you have to spend to make this upgrade. If you don't have money to burn, then no point in proceeding.

Logically, if you expand to 7.1, then it become a matter of Di/Bi-Pole like your existing Surround speaker, or Direct speakers like bookshelf. That's about the only decision you have to make, and that decision is based entirely on what is possible in your specific room. With out clear details on the Room, your guess is as good as anyone's.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 07-14-2015 at 05:07 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-16-2015, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the detailed response. The existing setup sounds great, but I'd like a little more all encompassing sound that would work well in a dedicated home theater.

The reason I started feeling the need to upgrade is I'm moving to a new house with a fully dedicated home theater. The room will have 10 foot ceilings and be about 16 feet wide and 20 feet long. It will have a large sectional couch, regular Sheetrock walls, and no windows.

I've Haven't specifically looked at a different set of floorstanders, but the budget would be around $10,000-$15,000 for a new AVR and a couple new speakers, whatever would sound best. That's kind of the question. Where should I go from here given the extra money and existing components? Rather than start over completely, I'd like to use what I have most efficiently.

I'm just not sure where to spend the money to use what I have and also get the most bang for my buck. I don't want to just discard or waste what I have since I do have some solid components.

I think I might want to upgrade the floor standees and AVR for sure and make it at least 7.1, perhaps even 9.2. I'm completely happy with the psa xs-30 and would even get a second if needed.

Again, budget is around 10-15k, but is negotiable.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-16-2015, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
OK, now we have a new ballgame.

Is this house being built, or does it already exist.

If you are going to have a Home Cinema Room, it might make sense to put speaker wiring in for at least 7.1, and perhaps 4 in ceiling speakers for Atmos. Though there are options where speakers simply point up at the ceiling to give a sense of 3-dimensional space.

You have a very nice budget, and a very good room, so I think you won't have any problems. But better to tear things up and put the wiring and and do any necessary remodeling before you move in. Though if this is a dedicated room, even if you are moved in, the mess is confined to that one room.

I think in that room and with the budget you are implying, you have left the Klipsch speakers in the dust.

If we assume the basic budget of $10,000, that leaves the additional $5000 for misc.

$1200 = Oppo 105D BluRay universal Player with Streaming.
$2000 to $5000 = high end AV Receiver ($5k would be for Pre/Pro/Pwr system)
$3800 to $6800 = Speakers

That should make a pretty nice system with money to spare.

Steve/bluewizard
post #13 of 14 Old 07-17-2015, 09:00 AM

With a budget like that, have you considered the Klipsch Heritage line of speakers?

I personally love my KHorns for HT, but some don't think they are appropriate for the application.

post #14 of 14 Old 08-07-2015, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
With a budget like that, have you considered the Klipsch Heritage line of speakers?

I personally love my KHorns for HT, but some don't think they are appropriate for the application.
I have been looking into JTR. They seem legit and a good value. Thoughts on those?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page