• 2 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Speaker upgrade

I currently own a set of TSS450 infinitys

I an using sub right left and center.I also have 2 ceiling speakers.

I just bought Marantz 5009 receiver

Im looking for more fullness out of the speakers...

My room size is about 18 x 18

My setup is I have restrictions I have to use bookshelf speakers...keep them in the open speaker stand thats 54" wide and 7 1/2 inches tall

Im looking to spend about 3-700 on a set of speakers. IDK if my sub is adequate (im sure it might be)

I was looking at perhaps the Klipsch RB-51s (older but inexpensive) (same price as best buys R-15s) I will have to put them on their side. and the matching center.
Or best buy has the Klipsch R-15s I have to lay them down too.

then buying the matching center.

The guys at magnolia home theatre suggested I get the B & W 686 but they are $550 a pair then I need a center.
Or they suggested the definitive studio monitor 45s

any ideas or suggestions???

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 476
I would honestly have got a less expensive receiver and better speakers.

That said, I would upgrade your sub before I did anything else. At a minimum spend that $700 on the sub it will make everything better. SVS, HSU, PSA any of those are great.

Or DIY a sub for $700 that will put the store bought one to shape.

Last edited by lemonslush; 07-20-2015 at 09:21 AM.
post #3 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9591 Post(s)
Liked: 7418
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrovermiami View Post
Im looking for more fullness out of the speakers...

My room size is about 18 x 18

My setup is I have restrictions I have to use bookshelf speakers...keep them in the open speaker stand thats 54" wide and 7 1/2 inches tall
Thanks!
So you *have* to have speakers lying sideways no more than 7.5" tall???
I was going to recommend the Chane A2rxc or the Hsu HC-1 but both of them would exceed that height limit.

To meet that 7.5" limit, I'd recommend a pair of NHT SuperZeros with an NHT SuperCenter, for $300 shipped from Amazon. For an extra $50, you could get the NHT SuperOnes instead of the SuperZeros which would give you a bigger midwoofer (6.5" vs 4.5"). Some people actually prefer the sound of the smaller SuperZeros; others want the extra mid-bass of the SuperOnes. NHTs with their sealed design are generally are known for excellent voice clarity and transient speeds, and nice tight bass that's never boomy.

That would leave you with a healthy amount to upgrade your subwoofer, which as the previous poster mentioned, would make an enormous difference...unless you (like myself) don't watch a lot of blockbuster action movies in which case a modest $130 Martin Logan 8" subwoofer (also Amazon) would be fine, and then you'd be better off investing in an Ascend CMT-340 center with a pair of Ascend HTM-200s for your L/R for about $600. The CMT-340 is rear ported however, so make sure that you have at least 6-12" clearance from the back of the speaker to the rear wall...it's honking big but has a beautifully full clear sound, perfect for dialogue.

Another option would be 2-3 Wavecrest HVL-1s, which are front-ported:
http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/produc...udspeaker-pair

Of course, if the maximum spread for all your front 3 speakers is only 54" then you might not even need to bother with a center channel to begin with since the L/R will already be so close together. I would therefore order only the L/R initially, and add a center only if you need to.
RayGuy and dsrussell like this.

Last edited by Zorba922; 07-20-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
I would honestly have got a less expensive receiver and better speakers.

That said, I would upgrade your sub before I did anything else. At a minimum spend that $700 on the sub it will make everything better. SVS, HSU, PSA any of those are great.

Or DIY a sub for $700 that will put the store bought one to shape.
Well I was looking at the 1605 but I can get it for $100 less than the 5009 figured better off with the bigger receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
So you *have* to have speakers lying sideways no more than 7.5" tall???
I was going to recommend the Chane A2rxc or the Hsu HC-1 but both of them would exceed that height limit.

To meet that 7.5" limit, I'd recommend a pair of NHT SuperZeros with an NHT SuperCenter, for $300 shipped from Amazon. For an extra $50, you could get the NHT SuperOnes instead of the SuperZeros which would give you a bigger midwoofer (6.5" vs 4.5"). Some people actually prefer the sound of the smaller SuperZeros; others want the extra mid-bass of the SuperOnes. NHTs with their sealed design are generally are known for excellent voice clarity and transient speeds, and nice tight bass that's never boomy.

That would leave you with a healthy amount to upgrade your subwoofer, which as the previous poster mentioned, would make an enormous difference...unless you (like myself) don't watch a lot of blockbuster action movies in which case a modest $130 Martin Logan 8" subwoofer (also Amazon) would be fine, and then you'd be better off investing in an Ascend CMT-340 center with a pair of Ascend HTM-200s for your L/R for about $600. The CMT-340 is rear ported however, so make sure that you have at least 6-12" clearance from the back of the speaker to the rear wall...it's honking big but has a beautifully full clear sound, perfect for dialogue.

Another option would be 2-3 Wavecrest HVL-1s, which are front-ported:
http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/produc...udspeaker-pair

Of course, if the maximum spread for all your front 3 speakers is only 54" then you might not even need to bother with a center channel to begin with since the L/R will already be so close together. I would therefore order only the L/R initially, and add a center only if you need to.
My space is limited as I have to keep the tv on a tv stand I dont have room on the right or left for speakers. If I dont use a center channel I cant use 5.1 properly can I? I basically need the center for dialogue?

I primarily watch sports and network tv HBO movies never blue ray or anything. The max spread is 54" for me.

I was looking at crutchfield at the Reference RB-51s and the matching center...but now you guys say I should get a sub...

I was at best buy magnolia they suggested I get the M-1 B & Ws but thats a lot at 250 a speaker
post #5 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
My space is limited as I have to keep the tv on a tv stand I dont have room on the right or left for speakers. If I dont use a center channel I cant use 5.1 properly can I? I basically need the center for dialogue?

I primarily watch sports and network tv HBO movies never blue ray or anything. The max spread is 54" for me.

I was looking at crutchfield at the Reference RB-51s and the matching center...but now you guys say I should get a sub...

I was at best buy magnolia they suggested I get the M-1 B & Ws but thats a lot at 250 a speaker
No, you can use what's called a "phantom center" with just L/R fronts...and if you're just watching cable TV you are not getting a proper 5.1/7.1 signal anyhow, only "SIMULATED" surround which not really the same thing. No Best Buy salesman is ever going to tell you that because obviously they want to sell you as many speakers as possible and as big and pricey a receiver as possible.

B&Ws are nice speakers, look nice and have name brand status, but notoriously poor bang-for-the-buck, and frankly would be a complete waste if all you're doing is sports/HBO...they are best for music. Klipsch tends to be very bright except for their top model line or their vintage K-horns, although a Marantz receiver would tame them a little.

Best Buy Magnolia is one of the worst places to actually buy anything, unless you just like burning money. Not bad for auditioning speakers of course.

The weakest link in any Home Theater In A Box setup (and Infinity's is one of the better ones) is the subwoofer. However, if you don't watch blockbuster action movies (which have all the super-deep bass and special sound effects) then maybe upgrading your subwoofer is not that urgent a priority after all.
post #6 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

@Zorba922

I tried to send a pm but I dont have enough posts. I need 15...

Anyways...

what receiver then do you recommend I should have gotten? and

for a recap what speakers would you suggest to fit in my 7 1/2 inch tall area? (well maybe 8" I can fit under the molding) I could lay the speaker sideways?

and sub?

That would fill my 18 x 18 room?

Ya I wasnt happy when I left best buy....thats why I didnt buy

Like i said I primarily watch sports HBO and network stuff...maybe netflix every so often thats it though.

The music part I only listen in the car

Im looking for best bang for the buck that would fill up the sound in the room properly. I guess Id have to learn or figure out how to simulate the surround sound as you posted

Last edited by redrovermiami; 07-20-2015 at 11:20 AM.
post #7 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Zorba922

I tried to send a pm but I dont have enough posts. I need 15...

Anyways...

what receiver then do you recommend I should have gotten? and

for a recap what speakers would you suggest to fit in my 7 1/2 inch tall area? (well maybe 8" I can fit under the molding)

and sub?

That would fill my 18 x 18 room?

Ya I wasnt happy when I left best buy....thats why I didnt buy
Marantz (along with Harman Kardon) receivers are very good for music listening, but that's not really your usage. How much did you pay for it? 18 x 18' is an average sized room, so I wouldn't spend more than $300 on a receiver for it if using it mainly for sports/HBO. Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha ... they're all going to be about the same for your usage; Onkyo is noted for its reliability and relative ease of use compared to others (Pioneer has a very convoluted user interface).

You can get some excellent deals with manufacturer-refurbished receivers here...I've always had good experiences with refurbished electronics:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html

Regarding the speakers and sub, it comes back to your viewing habits. If you simply don't watch many (or any) blockbuster action flicks at all, I'd go with a less expensive sub like a BIC F12 ($220 Amazon).

If you really can fit an 8" speaker in your shelf then a pair of Hsu HC-1s for about $550 shipped would be more than plenty; or, you could start with a pair of Hsu HB-1 L/R only and add an HC-1 center later if needed.

For maximum bang for the buck, I'd just start off with a $200 pair of WaveCrest HVL-1s because you just might find that they put out enough low end coupled with your current Infinity sub. Then you could add a 3rd HVL-1 for the center if you feel it necessary. And the F12 sub if necessary.

The NHTs would definitely require a subwoofer, that's why I am leaving them out here, whereas you might find the Hsu and WaveCrest speakers to be sufficient without one.

Step-by-step upgrading is how I prefer to do things, rather than getting roped into buying the whole shebang in one go, since you'll never know just how much you need and DON'T need until you actually listen to it in your house.

And, one of the greatest things about living in the US is all these liberal return policies!
post #8 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Marantz (along with Harman Kardon) receivers are very good for music listening, but that's not really your usage. How much did you pay for it? 18 x 18' is an average sized room, so I wouldn't spend more than $300 on a receiver for it if using it mainly for sports/HBO. Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha ... they're all going to be about the same for your usage; Onkyo is noted for its reliability and relative ease of use compared to others (Pioneer has a very convoluted user interface).

You can get some excellent deals with manufacturer-refurbished receivers here...I've always had good experiences with refurbished electronics:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html

Regarding the speakers and sub, it comes back to your viewing habits. If you simply don't watch many (or any) blockbuster action flicks at all, I'd go with a less expensive sub like a BIC F12 ($220 Amazon).

If you really can fit an 8" speaker in your shelf then a pair of Hsu HC-1s for about $550 shipped would be more than plenty; or, you could start with a pair of Hsu HB-1 L/R only and add an HC-1 center later if needed.

For maximum bang for the buck, I'd just start off with a $200 pair of WaveCrest HVL-1s because you just might find that they put out enough low end coupled with your current Infinity sub. Then you could add a 3rd HVL-1 for the center if you feel it necessary. And the F12 sub if necessary.

The NHTs would definitely require a subwoofer, that's why I am leaving them out here, whereas you might find the Hsu and WaveCrest speakers to be sufficient without one.

Step-by-step upgrading is how I prefer to do things, rather than getting roped into buying the whole shebang in one go, since you'll never know just how much you need and DON'T need until you actually listen to it in your house.

And, one of the greatest things about living in the US is all these liberal return policies!
@zorba 22

I like your thinking!

I went to accessories4less I didnt buy the receiver just yet. I was just thinking for $500 the 5009 was the way to go.

They seem to have great deals I was just chatting on crutchfield they were trying to sell me the marantz stuff. But like I said Im into tv sports movies. so I want whats gonna be best for me I was at best buy they were trying to sell me marantz too so I kinda put 2 and 2 together.

What receiver would you recommend then??? Like I said Im looking at replacing what I have it sucked.

I got the tv and that is a done deal...the sound however...lol

Im up for whatever is the best bang for the buck...I think you get my vibe Im game to try what you suggest
post #9 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 12:00 PM

Do you have any room on your stand on either side of the TV? Because if you do, this $256 pair of powered monitors might be all you really need and you wouldn't even have to bother with a receiver, just hook up directly to your TV. They just wouldn't fit INSIDE a 7.5-8" space, unfortunately.

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-LSR305-Two...wered+monitors

Or their bigger brother at $450/pair, if you want a little extra bass:

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Profession...JTM6Z9S1Z5TM0N

With only a 54" spread, there is a good chance that you won't need a center speaker at all.

PS. If you are willing/able to use speaker stands, you'd be all set!
post #10 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

@Zorba922

no room next to the tv

on either side...

besides how would I utilize my ceiling speakers? or those are kind of a waste?

Accessories4less has onkyo636 at a decent price...any other ideas?

Last edited by redrovermiami; 07-20-2015 at 12:09 PM.
post #11 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
@Zorba922
no room next to the tv
on either side...
besides how would I utilize my ceiling speakers? or those are kind of a waste?
Accessories4less has onkyo636 at a decent price...any other ideas?
Yeah I'm afraid the ceiling speakers would mainly come in handy if you were gaming or watching action movies on Blue Ray.

Regarding the receiver, I've heard that Denon is supposed to be good for HT, but have never owned one myself. When choosing a refurb, I tend to pick the one that is being offered at the biggest discount from its MSRP, which seems to be the Denon AVR-2311 at 70% off.

Generally speaking, don't overestimate your needs. So much of the audio industry is sales BS about how you "can't live without" A, B, or C and so we end up with these receivers that have a million electronic bells and whistles, formats and connections and gimmicks that few users actually ever use, while the manufacturers turn their profit by cutting corners on the essential hardware, esp. the power supplies.

So you're sure that speaker stands would be out of the question? Those powered JBLs would save you hundreds and hundreds of bucks!
post #12 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah I'm afraid the ceiling speakers would mainly come in handy if you were gaming or watching action movies on Blue Ray.

Regarding the receiver, I've heard that Denon is supposed to be good for HT, but have never owned one myself. When choosing a refurb, I tend to pick the one that is being offered at the biggest discount from its MSRP, which seems to be the Denon AVR-2311 at 70% off.

Generally speaking, don't overestimate your needs. So much of the audio industry is sales BS about how you "can't live without" A, B, or C and so we end up with these receivers that have a million electronic bells and whistles, formats and connections and gimmicks that few users actually ever use, while the manufacturers turn their profit by cutting corners on the essential hardware, esp. the power supplies.

So you're sure that speaker stands would be out of the question? Those powered JBLs would save you hundreds and hundreds of bucks!
Yeah I have no room next to my tv on either side unfortunately...

The one feature that denon doesnt have is the wifi stuff kinda nice to use your iphone as a remote for when youre lazy

Guess kinda back to the drawing board for speakers... I can fit 8" tall speakers in the stand or I can lay down something...

by the way I dont own an xbox or anything not even blue ray lol I have no intentions of buying movies...

I just want to get some kick ass sound out of my tv

Last edited by redrovermiami; 07-20-2015 at 02:03 PM.
post #13 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah I have no room next to my tv on either side unfortunately...

The one feature that denon doesnt have is the wifi stuff kinda nice to use your iphone as a remote for when youre lazy

Guess kinda back to the drawing board for speakers... I can fit 8" tall speakers in the stand or I can lay down something...
The WaveCrest speakers are 7" wide so they'd fit.

I think there are various ways to add on extra electronic and connectivity functions through various aftermarket external devices. In fact this is arguably better because that way if the individual device fails you don't have to send back the whole receiver just to get it fixed.

If you read consumer reviews of receivers on Amazon, the most common complaints are about exactly these kinds of features going buggy.
post #14 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 02:13 PM

You know, if you REALLY want to go minimalist on your setup, just get a pair of those HVL-1s and power them with this little baby connected to your TV's audio output:
http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-50Wx2-TDA...keywords=t-amp

You would just keep the amp on all the time on maximum volume and use the TV's remote control to control the volume...can't get any more simple than that!
post #15 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'll check all that out in an hour or so.

I wouldn't need a sub???

Also what about a center no need?
post #16 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I'll check all that out in an hour or so.

I wouldn't need a sub???

Also what about a center no need?
Many subs have speaker-level outputs so you can run speaker cable from the amp to the sub, then out to the speakers.

Since you're working with only a 54" spread (leaving only 30" between two speakers lying on their sides), I highly doubt you'd miss not having a center.

The WaveCrest speakers are specifically designed to provide a full and clear midrange, plus being front ported you should get a decent amount of mid-bass out of them so that male voices don't sound unnaturally thin or high as happens with smaller drivers in plastic satellite speakers. As I said, you may find that you might be fine without a sub as well.

Besides, Amazon has the most painless return policy out there, so it'd be a snap to send back the amp if you decide it's not up to the job.
post #17 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Many subs have speaker-level outputs so you can run speaker cable from the amp to the sub, then out to the speakers.

Since you're working with only a 54" spread (leaving only 30" between two speakers lying on their sides), I highly doubt you'd miss not having a center.

The WaveCrest speakers are specifically designed to provide a full and clear midrange, plus being front ported you should get a decent amount of mid-bass out of them so that male voices don't sound unnaturally thin or high as happens with smaller drivers in plastic satellite speakers. As I said, you may find that you might be fine without a sub as well.

Besides, Amazon has the most painless return policy out there, so it'd be a snap to send back the amp if you decide it's not up to the job.
Ya the sub that came with the tss450s has the speaker outputs I guess in the rear

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/769...?page=7#manual

I guess I could experiment with it...
The wave crest speakers I guess I can only get from wavecrest...

the little amp I can get from amazon for sure....

How good would the sound be I see that it uses the traditional RCA cables as opposed to the optical or hdmi???

I am kinda bummed my ceiling speakers wont be utilized...but I guess most direct tv stuff is simulated surround...

Nice review too:

Im thinking maybe I should get 3 1 for left right and a center that might be over kill I mean Im already paying for shipping

Last edited by redrovermiami; 07-20-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added a link
post #18 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 06:09 PM

The Amazon amp is 2-channel only, so you wouldn't be able to add a 3rd speaker.

The main reason to use a coax or optical connection is if you have a true multichannel signal and your receiver has a decoder to match the format of that multichannel signal. Since you have neither, it would make no difference whatsoever.
post #19 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The Amazon amp is 2-channel only, so you wouldn't be able to add a 3rd speaker.

The main reason to use a coax or optical connection is if you have a true multichannel signal and your receiver has a decoder to match the format of that multichannel signal. Since you have neither, it would make no difference whatsoever.
I see...

I might not need that little amp my bro in law told me he has an onkyo TX-LR552 receiver I can use...thoughts on using that???? with the wave crests

I guess I can get a 3rd speaker and use a sub???
post #20 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I see...

I might not need that little amp my bro in law told me he has an onkyo TX-LR552 receiver I can use...thoughts on using that???? with the wave crests

I guess I can get a 3rd speaker and use a sub???
Oh wow, the Onkyo 552...what a blast from the past!!! That little thing might surprise you, it was kind of an underground sensation a little over a decade ago when it came out, a slim digital switching amplifier similar to the legendary Panasonic SA-XR55/57 series, although not quite as powerful or refined by many accounts. But as long as you're not trying to throw a block party with it (and the WaveCrest speakers should be a pretty easy load for it to drive) I think you'll be fine. And yes it does have 5 channels so you could add the center speaker if you really want, and use a simple coaxial input for your cable box's audio and for your subwoofer.

Your brother in law deserves at least a case or two of some good craft beer, in my opinion.
post #21 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh wow, the Onkyo 552...what a blast from the past!!! That little thing might surprise you, it was kind of an underground sensation a little over a decade ago when it came out, a slim digital switching amplifier similar to the legendary Panasonic SA-XR55/57 series, although not quite as powerful or refined by many accounts. But as long as you're not trying to throw a block party with it (and the WaveCrest speakers should be a pretty easy load for it to drive) I think you'll be fine. And yes it does have 5 channels so you could add the center speaker if you really want, and use a simple coaxial input for your cable box's audio and for your subwoofer.

Your brother in law deserves at least a case or two of some good craft beer, in my opinion.
LOL so in theory I should be set sounds like I hit a home run with the receiver...

no block party here hahahaa So I guess then for over kill I should get the 3 speakers and use my current sub if I want

No need to go receiver shopping I guess then
post #22 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 07:50 PM

nope, assuming that the HVL-1s are not one of the 10% of speakers with weird impedance swings that digital switching amps have trouble with, you are all set!

Anyways, update us with some pics and how you like it once everything gets there and you hook it all up...
post #23 of 28 Old 07-20-2015, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
nope, assuming that the HVL-1s are not one of the 10% of speakers with weird impedance swings that digital switching amps have trouble with, you are all set!

Anyways, update us with some pics and how you like it once everything gets there and you hook it all up...
LOL gotcha...what do you think about getting 3 speakers and using the sub?

Ill def let you know once I get finalized here
post #24 of 28 Old 07-21-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
Quote:
LOL gotcha...what do you think about getting 3 speakers and using the sub?

Ill def let you know once I get finalized here
As long as the receiver has phantom center capability, I see no reason to go with the center channel, at least to begin with. Your speakers are so close together that the additional channel may actually cause more problems than it will solve (sometimes more ISN'T better ... look up the "phantom center" thread if you want confirmation ... lots of folks here do it). Just start out with a stereo pair, I think you will find that the center is not necessary. And if you find you do want to get the center at a later date, then it's just a few clicks away ...

One other thing, try the speakers on their own, without the sub. Give them a week and see how you like it. Then, add the sub back into the mix, and do some more listening. You might just find that you enjoy the sound of the speakers better without the sub.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-21-2015 at 03:27 PM.
post #25 of 28 Old 07-21-2015, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
post #26 of 28 Old 08-03-2015, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Update:

I ended up buying a Denon 2100 receiver from accessories4less

I ended up buying a pair of Klipsch R15 bookshelves from best buy

I ended up buying a trio of bookshelves from wavecrest.

I dont have a sub yet.

Experimental I used was Spiderman 2. I used a scene I played the same scene over quite a few times for each scenario.

So I been listening to my Infinity TS450s Right center left. No sub. (Its not working)
Sound was eh. Sounds were too high no mids no lows. But a little better than the stock tv speakers.

I went to Best buy bought the klipsch because I just wanted to experiment and try something else. (Wave crests already were ordered and were going to be to me in a week anyways) Was good to compare.

Klispch sounded good Still like @Zorba922 said still on the high range. But there was more low and mid compared to what I had. The klipsch I just had 2 speakers so I used them. Then I incorporated the center from my TS 450 set. Still felt like it was missing something...

I hooked up 2 wave crests. Sounded really good...much fuller. I then setup the center channel. I could definitely tell a difference...I wouldnt say HUGE but there was a difference.

When Spiderman was talking you could tell he was wearing a mask. The sound was clear and like realistic.

I mean the sound I have now is so much better than what I had before. Ive been watching movies primarily to test the set up. It seemed like ESPN I could use the tv speakers and Seems like it wouldnt make too much of a difference. Especially without a sub.

I also have 2 ceiling speakers connected...Im waiting on my blu ray player to come so I can really see what my 5.0 system is like now.

Im also looking at subs.

Thanks @Zorba922 for the suggestions especially for the wavecrests.

IDK Im sure there are other speakers to try. Is it worth buying and returning IDK

I wouldnt know what other bookshelf speakers to try...or even receiver that would make too much of a difference unless anyone else has any ideas????

Thanks
post #27 of 28 Old 08-03-2015, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
No, you can use what's called a "phantom center" with just L/R fronts...and if you're just watching cable TV you are not getting a proper 5.1/7.1 signal anyhow, only "SIMULATED" surround which not really the same thing. No Best Buy salesman is ever going to tell you that because obviously they want to sell you as many speakers as possible and as big and pricey a receiver as possible.

B&Ws are nice speakers, look nice and have name brand status, but notoriously poor bang-for-the-buck, and frankly would be a complete waste if all you're doing is sports/HBO...they are best for music. Klipsch tends to be very bright except for their top model line or their vintage K-horns, although a Marantz receiver would tame them a little.

Best Buy Magnolia is one of the worst places to actually buy anything, unless you just like burning money. Not bad for auditioning speakers of course.

The weakest link in any Home Theater In A Box setup (and Infinity's is one of the better ones) is the subwoofer. However, if you don't watch blockbuster action movies (which have all the super-deep bass and special sound effects) then maybe upgrading your subwoofer is not that urgent a priority after all.

I own a pair of Klipsch R-15M and do not find them bright. I also own a pair of polk monitor50s and noticed that they are bright and a little thin in the midrange compared to the klipsch r-15m. The klipsch icon series were bright though. The polk monitor line are bright, but the newer TSI line is not. This is from owning them. Just FYI, I am sort of sensitive to bright sounds.
post #28 of 28 Old 08-03-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbp_civic View Post
I own a pair of Klipsch R-15M and do not find them bright. I also own a pair of polk monitor50s and noticed that they are bright and a little thin in the midrange compared to the klipsch r-15m. The klipsch icon series were bright though. The polk monitor line are bright, but the newer TSI line is not. This is from owning them. Just FYI, I am sort of sensitive to bright sounds.
Interesting. The Klipsch Icon and the Polk Monitor series are almost universally described as bright, while there is a bit of controversy over the Klipsch Reference series, with many saying they are cosmetically different but acoustically identical to the Icon, and a few like yourself saying they are a significant improvement over the Icons.

I now have a cheaper horn-loaded center speaker (BIC) that I quite enjoy for its vocal clarity during HT. Don't think I'd give up my Wharfedale L/R speakers for music listening, though...but you might hear the Wharfies and accuse them of being "veiled" as some do...such is this hobby. Different ears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page