GoldenEar Triton versus Martin Logan Motion + Sub setup? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-24-2015, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
GoldenEar Triton versus Martin Logan Motion + Sub setup?

Looking for peoples thoughts on two different options I am considering to upgrade my system in a large, open room.

First, I was considering a system of the GoldenEar Triton One, the Super Center X (the XL is 1" too wide) and the Aon twos for sides and surrounds. No sub.

My other options was the Martin Logan Motion 60XTs with the larger 50XT center and two pair of Motion 15 bookshelves for sides and rears. Since the MLs are significantly less than the GE T1 and they would be very short on bass in comparison, I was going to added either a JTR Cap 1400 or the Power Sound Audio V1800 or the S3000i.

I was wondering if anyone has had a change to hear both the ML Motions and the GoldenEar T1 and could compare them.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-29-2015, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

So I went out today to try and answer my own question. I went to a local high end audio store in town who is both a GoldenEar and Martin Logan dealer. This dealer is supposed to be one of the better high end stores in town. They carry Martin Logan, GoldenEar, Macintosh, Magnepan, Totem, Rega etc...

Unfortunately, when I went in, it looks just like the high end store I worked at in College in the 90s. Stuff everywhere. Disorganized. Little hand written signs on equipment. Listening rooms which are too full and haven't been updated since the 90s. Spot bulbs to highlight speakers were out in several rooms...just not the appearance you expect when you start looking at expensive speakers and electronics.

I asked to listen to the GoldenEar Triton One speakers first. They did have the One, Two and Fives all in the same small, two seat theater room. It was hooked up to a Marantz 8802 preamp and Rotel amps. The center was the XL and the Aon 2s for rears.

We watched a bit of Master and Commander and listened to one Steely Dan song. Over all, while they imaged well and played loud, I was a little underwhelmed. Less bass impact and extension than I expected given all the reviews and the firepower (yes, I know they can be turned up and down). I also didn't get that tingle, special feeling I get occasionally when you listen to a system and know it is special.

I then asked about the Martin Logan Motion series of speakers. I was disappointed because all they had was a pair of the Motion 15 bookshelves. They told me they don't display any of the towers so I was unable to listen to the 60XTs and compare them to the Triton Ones.

Overall, I walked away a bit disappointed in my experience. I think the Triton Ones are off my short list. The Martin Logan Motion 60XTs are still an unknown. My next step is to go listen to the B&W CM10 S2s and the Paradigm Prestige F85s.

If anyone has any other recommendations or thoughts, I would love to hear them,

Thanks,
Mike
post #3 of 13 Old 07-29-2015, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
Any reason you didn't audition the Maggies while you were there?

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-29-2015, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

I love Maggies! I sold them in college. The 3.5s were my absolute favorite driven by a Bryston 4B ST (now the 3.7i) but they are way too wide for my current space requirements and while they are awesome for many types of music, they just don't do it for me for movies. I did try and listen to the Martin Logan Theos electrostats since they are less than 12" wide, but guess what, they didn't have those on display either.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-29-2015, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
Yep, totally understand about the Maggies size (especially width). That's too bad about the ML's. The Theos are one of Martin Logan's better deals on ESL's. They have the same panel size as the more expensive Ethos. Sounds like that audio dealer is a bit lazy and isn't actively trying to drum up business.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-30-2015, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopShoe View Post
I then asked about the Martin Logan Motion series of speakers. I was disappointed because all they had was a pair of the Motion 15 bookshelves. They told me they don't display any of the towers so I was unable to listen to the 60XTs and compare them to the Triton Ones.
Wow. That is pretty lousy that they wouldn't even pull them out for you. Sounds like a lazy dealer. That would be my cue to take my business elsewhere.

When I have a customer who wants to know what speaker A sounds like versus speaker B, I will go so far as to order BOTH pairs if I don't have them on hand, unbox them, demo them, and let them decide. And I don't even have a storefront! I also encourage people to audition them at home, because I want them to be 100% satisfied with their purchase and would rather not see a return or get negative feedback later on down the road.

Bummer you didn't get to listen to the towers you wanted to hear. That's one of the reasons I encourage people on the interwebs to try out brands like SVS and others with stupendous trial periods. Free shipping both ways? Yes, I know the shipping costs are certainly built in, but it makes for a better customer experience. What OP described is EXACTLY why so many brick and mortar stores are struggling. Very few I've dealt with recently (non-AV) have even seemed like they wanted my money at all.

Good luck finding the speaker set you want! Don't let that one shopping experience deter you though. The customer's ears are always right, so make sure to audition them until you find one that sounds exactly how you want it to sound. That said, also keep in mind that the store's acoustics will differ from your own, so there's no audition like a home audition. See if they'll let you take them home like I let my customers. Dropping thousands of dollars on equipment is no joke, so make those guys work for your hard-earned money! If they aren't willing to, then I encourage you take your business online to some of the ID guys. SVS, EMP Tek, etc.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-30-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3592 Post(s)
Liked: 2026
Focal has some good stuff to consider. I like ML also. Listen to as much as you can, lots of good stuff out there.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #8 of 13 Old 07-30-2015, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Wow. That is pretty lousy that they wouldn't even pull them out for you. Sounds like a lazy dealer. That would be my cue to take my business elsewhere.

When I have a customer who wants to know what speaker A sounds like versus speaker B, I will go so far as to order BOTH pairs if I don't have them on hand, unbox them, demo them, and let them decide. And I don't even have a storefront! I also encourage people to audition them at home, because I want them to be 100% satisfied with their purchase and would rather not see a return or get negative feedback later on down the road.

Bummer you didn't get to listen to the towers you wanted to hear. That's one of the reasons I encourage people on the interwebs to try out brands like SVS and others with stupendous trial periods. Free shipping both ways? Yes, I know the shipping costs are certainly built in, but it makes for a better customer experience. What OP described is EXACTLY why so many brick and mortar stores are struggling. Very few I've dealt with recently (non-AV) have even seemed like they wanted my money at all.

Good luck finding the speaker set you want! Don't let that one shopping experience deter you though. The customer's ears are always right, so make sure to audition them until you find one that sounds exactly how you want it to sound. That said, also keep in mind that the store's acoustics will differ from your own, so there's no audition like a home audition. See if they'll let you take them home like I let my customers. Dropping thousands of dollars on equipment is no joke, so make those guys work for your hard-earned money! If they aren't willing to, then I encourage you take your business online to some of the ID guys. SVS, EMP Tek, etc.
Thanks for the advice! I have to clarify so the dealer doesn't look as bad as they might be. They actually don't have any of the Martin Logan Motion floor standing speakers at all. They just don't carry/stock them. They sure didn't offer to order them in for me though, that would have been outstanding. He did try to steer me towards two pair of Totems which I sort of balked at since the two he was showing me had 1" silk dome tweeters and either a 4 3/4" or 5 1/4" woofer. I had already told him the room was 900 sq feet with 20' ceilings...

I am definitely interested in looking at ID companies, but I need a tall, narrow tower. Many ID companies have wider speakers than I can fit. I considered putting some of the PSA MTM210s on stands, but the center is too high to fit in our media cabinet.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-31-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I had the opportunity to audition the Triton 7 speakers a few days ago. The dealer also had the 3's and 2's on display, but had sold the display of the 1's.

I had wanted to hear the 7's and spent a couple of hours with them. Oppo unit used for CD playback, with Peachtree amplification.

The 7's sounded outstanding with the dealer's demo material. Naturally, he had a CD of high quality recordings from various types of music. It was truly a "close your eyes and the musicians are there" type experience.

Bass was plentiful. I would not need a sub for music. I have an SVS for movies, so no need to move up to a built in sub as part of the speakers.

After picking up my jaw from the floor, we hooked up my phone and played some of the content I am familiar with from Spotify premium. Just used the headphone jack to RCAs as the connection to the amp.

With this content quality, the speakers sounded good, but not great. Depending on the recording, the upper end was really good - love that tweeter. The bass became muddy and not nearly as deep as with the demo material.

I am a music listener, not a content collector. Streaming services work well for me, as I can listen to just what I want, on any system I want. With that in mind, I learned that upgrading to the 7's would be like buying a sports car to go to the grocery store - overkill.

I learned that my current HT and music systems do a good job of maximizing the fidelity of the content I use. Headphones do the best job, followed by my 2.1 channel music system and then my mid level HT 7.1 system.

Using Dolby PLIIX music with streamed content, really helps with streamed media.

Good to satisfy my curiosity about the 7's. I would buy them in a minute if I made the committment to move up the scale to FLAC only playback. But, I'm not there yet.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-31-2015, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopShoe View Post
Thanks for the advice! I have to clarify so the dealer doesn't look as bad as they might be. They actually don't have any of the Martin Logan Motion floor standing speakers at all. They just don't carry/stock them. They sure didn't offer to order them in for me though, that would have been outstanding. He did try to steer me towards two pair of Totems which I sort of balked at since the two he was showing me had 1" silk dome tweeters and either a 4 3/4" or 5 1/4" woofer. I had already told him the room was 900 sq feet with 20' ceilings...

I am definitely interested in looking at ID companies, but I need a tall, narrow tower. Many ID companies have wider speakers than I can fit. I considered putting some of the PSA MTM210s on stands, but the center is too high to fit in our media cabinet.
No problem. Sounds like a lackluster showroom. Before I started up my business, I've had more than one dealer offer to order me anything I wanted to check out if they didn't have it in stock, so long as it was a brand they carried. No pressure. Just lots of options. If your local guy isn't like that, then yeah, just check out the ID companies.

For a tall, narrow tower, look at the RBH R55Ti. http://rbhsound.com/r55ti.php http://emptek.com/r55ti.php
They're only $347.50/each right now!!! Down from about $500/pr retail. My guess is that they might be clearing out the ones with the EMP Tek label as they make the transition to calling them RBHs. I've heard them, and they are outstanding speakers and are an absurdly good price at the moment. Just so you know, they're 8.5" wide by nearly 48" tall, so they're quite a sight to behold, but hopefully as narrow as you're looking for. Gorgeous in that red burl, but they also come in gloss black. Food for thought. After those, I'd probably be checking out the SVS towers as well.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-31-2015, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post
I had the opportunity to audition the Triton 7 speakers a few days ago. The dealer also had the 3's and 2's on display, but had sold the display of the 1's.

I had wanted to hear the 7's and spent a couple of hours with them. Oppo unit used for CD playback, with Peachtree amplification.

The 7's sounded outstanding with the dealer's demo material. Naturally, he had a CD of high quality recordings from various types of music. It was truly a "close your eyes and the musicians are there" type experience.

Bass was plentiful. I would not need a sub for music. I have an SVS for movies, so no need to move up to a built in sub as part of the speakers.

After picking up my jaw from the floor, we hooked up my phone and played some of the content I am familiar with from Spotify premium. Just used the headphone jack to RCAs as the connection to the amp.

With this content quality, the speakers sounded good, but not great. Depending on the recording, the upper end was really good - love that tweeter. The bass became muddy and not nearly as deep as with the demo material.

I am a music listener, not a content collector. Streaming services work well for me, as I can listen to just what I want, on any system I want. With that in mind, I learned that upgrading to the 7's would be like buying a sports car to go to the grocery store - overkill.

I learned that my current HT and music systems do a good job of maximizing the fidelity of the content I use. Headphones do the best job, followed by my 2.1 channel music system and then my mid level HT 7.1 system.

Using Dolby PLIIX music with streamed content, really helps with streamed media.

Good to satisfy my curiosity about the 7's. I would buy them in a minute if I made the committment to move up the scale to FLAC only playback. But, I'm not there yet.
Haha. That was my experience as well with some GoldenEars. They sounded AMAZING with good content, but with my iPod they sounded bad. Well, I shouldn't say the speakers sounded bad, but rather it brought out the shortcomings in my audio files! That's how good the GEs are. Since then, I've gotten into collecting better quality recordings, like various SACDs and some of the Reference Recordings HDCDs. Watch out, though. Collecting good content can become an obsession that gets expensive quick as you start to resent your mp3s and normal streaming services.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-31-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I know myself well enough to know that I will not follow through with collecting quality recordings.

Been through that from every format from 8 track to CD.

I did come away with the appreciation that the 7's were an outstanding value for a quality music reproduction system.

I've heard speakers at 2-3 times the price that didn't impress me as much.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-31-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12537 Post(s)
Liked: 10150
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Have not listened to much of the Golden Ear stuff, but I definitely like the 60XT. Clean, clear sound with good dynamics. Try to find a pair to llisten to and I think you will be happy with those. Let us know if we can help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page