Onix Rockets revisited due to fortuitous circumstances - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Glashub
  • 2 Post By Chu Gai

post #1 of 29 Old 08-03-2015, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Onix Rockets revisited due to fortuitous circumstances

In 2005 I bought 4 750’s, the Big Foot, and 2 bookshelves. That year I moved to Portland. Rather than move them I sold them to a friend who put them in climate controlledstorage. There they stayed all of theseyears.

Until yesterday. I bought the 2 bookshelves, the Big Foot,and 2 750’s back for a $1000. He’sholding on to the other 2 for me until I have more room – or I may use them forparts if needed.

In the interim I’ve owned Polk Audio Lsi’s, and Boston Acoustic Vision and Sound system. I’dnever forgotten how much I enjoyed the Vifa tweeter.

I was going to buy Polk Lsim’s for the huge 706c center. I wanted improved center channel performance. But the deal fell through.

He drove them over. I’d forgotten how beautiful they are. The veneer work is exceptional. Although the750’s look odd on their stands – they are slim, minimalist, and gorgeous. To me the bookshelves are the sweet spot aesthetically. They are perfectly shaped and look fantastic on the right stands.

The Big Foot – well, I’d forgotten how huge it is. It’s the biggest center I’ve ever seen beforeand since.

I hooked it all up. RanAudyssey – and popped in a Blu-ray. Theseare fantastic speakers. I’d forgotten how smooth they are. They set up is seamless. The Big Foot is remarkable.

I think Mark Shifty came to market with speakers particular to the times. I don’t know if speakers this good could be designed and manufactured at the price point they were at again. The components, the build quality-- I’ve never seen it before or after in the price range I shop in.

Makes me grieve a little what he and his company might have done if he didn’t become corrupted. Anyways, I’m glad to have them back and I think I’ll keep them for a while but I still don’t know where to put the Big Foot.
christoofar and Geronimo.USMC like this.

Last edited by Glashub; 08-03-2015 at 06:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-03-2015, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, I do. ATI 200x7. I'd go so far as to say they are great speakers. Odd speakers but they do sound good if you're into a smooth sound.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-03-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Yep my RS850s are keepers, even my wife forbids the sale of them. They look awesome and sound the same. I use them in the living room as they are meant to be seen, I quit using a center a few years ago (for living room setup) and run phantom. I've been trying to sell my bigfoot.

I bought mine 6 months before they AV123 imploded. They were about to release a new Rocket line with a very high price tag. I think the insane performance for a low prices was about to end no matter what. They were insanely popular at the time, makes you wonder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 08-03-2015, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The primary reason I bought back my Rockets was for the Big Foot. lol.
post #5 of 29 Old 08-03-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #6 of 29 Old 08-03-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I still use the 550s and bigfoot in my small theater room. I have a pair of XLS in piano rosewood in the living room. I'll probably only replace when I go to some Triad in-walls or something.

When I bought my first speakers from them 10+ years ago, it was an easy choice - great looking speakers with real wood veneer vs some gross "black ash" vinyl garbage. I recall Swans and Von Schweikert VR-1 offering similar cabinets in that price range, but who else? (serious question)

Guy is a crook, but also feel he is very much responsible for bringing great cabinet work to the lower end, in my mind at least. People are surprised when I tell them those piano rosewood XLS were $300 speakers. Granted, who knows what kind of gasses these things have been releasing since they got here
post #7 of 29 Old 08-03-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I almost bought the xtatics way back then as well. Those were cool and different. But yeah back then it was Swan Divas, Rockets and Salk song towers going up against Studio 100s at GTGs.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-03-2015, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

We're walking down memory lane. The Rockets got me hooked on the Vifa ring radiator. The reason I say that I don’t know if speakers this good could be designed and manufactured at the price point they were at again -- is because the cost of materials has gone up -- Chinese labor has gone up. It was a confluence of a talented team, times, and costs.
post #9 of 29 Old 08-03-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, they compete with Studio 100s in both looks and performance but cost much less. I paid $700 for the pair of RS850s and like $300 for the bigfoot ($1000 for all of it brand new). They would have been a bargain even if I had paid MSRP of $1000 each.

But yeah I agree, I'm a Diyer..subs, speakers etc. It would cost over $300 just to build a pair of cabinets like that..., then the crossover with cascading design, all of the drivers and miscellaneous....not to mention the time involved on such an elaborate design which would be quite tedious. With time factored in....with parts the price per RS850 would be much much more than I paid. And besides a bad batch of veneer that I remember, the construction and finish was immaculate that I frankly don't think myself or most diyers could match.
post #10 of 29 Old 08-03-2015, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post
We're walking down memory lane. The Rockets got me hooked on the Vifa ring radiator. The reason I say that I don’t know if speakers this good could be designed and manufactured at the price point they were at again -- is because the cost of materials has gone up -- Chinese labor has gone up. It was a confluence of a talented team, times, and costs.
Keep in mind that one of the reasons for the low prices and even lower sales prices is because Schifter wasn't paying people. Seaton never got a dime on the commissions he was supposed to get for each sub sold. Danny was left owed somewhere north of 50K. The dude in Colombia went on the hook for hundreds of thousands. That was a real *****hole operation but still. Then there was all the equipment and speakers that were built for AV451 from the dude that ran Onyx on credit. That was somewhere in the million dollar range. At least a couple of places that MLS got to make speakers and shipped on credit terms that weren't paid. Then there were the people who he got to 'invest in the company', most which never saw a dime. Uncle Paul and Hugh from AngelCityAudio come to mind. There were others. He scammed his sisters, had massive credit card debt, and then of course the raffles. Then all the coupons, prepayment, and god knows what else.

So, before you start looking to wonder how things were sold at the price they were and think it was a fortuitous alignment of the stars keep the above in mind.

Humbly....

Chu
shadyJ and Squirrel! like this.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #11 of 29 Old 08-03-2015, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post
Keep in mind that one of the reasons for the low prices and even lower sales prices is because Schifter wasn't paying people. Seaton never got a dime on the commissions he was supposed to get for each sub sold. Danny was left owed somewhere north of 50K. The dude in Colombia went on the hook for hundreds of thousands. That was a real *****hole operation but still. Then there was all the equipment and speakers that were built for AV451 from the dude that ran Onyx on credit. That was somewhere in the million dollar range. At least a couple of places that MLS got to make speakers and shipped on credit terms that weren't paid. Then there were the people who he got to 'invest in the company', most which never saw a dime. Uncle Paul and Hugh from AngelCityAudio come to mind. There were others. He scammed his sisters, had massive credit card debt, and then of course the raffles. Then all the coupons, prepayment, and god knows what else.

So, before you start looking to wonder how things were sold at the price they were and think it was a fortuitous alignment of the stars keep the above in mind.

Humbly....

Chu

I knew about the phony raffles and charity events. Didn't know he was, as you infer, ripping people off all day long, every day. I thought he was a highly regarded and reputable speaker guy prior to AV*7*. Do you think he created the company with the intention to defraud?
post #12 of 29 Old 08-03-2015, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I knew about the phony raffles and charity events. Didn't know he was, as you infer, ripping people off all day long, every day. I thought he was a highly regarded and reputable speaker guy prior to AV*7*. Do you think he created the company with the intention to defraud?
Well he may have had his problems. But the Swan Diva R3's were good surround speakers. I still have a pair in storage.
post #13 of 29 Old 08-03-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
That depends who was doing the regarding. MLS fooled a lot of people and he was shifty before AV451. He had a knack of creating business ventures that got other people to invest then suddenly something bad would happen and they'd lose their money. For example he and his wife had a business importing phono cartridges for a time.

No one will ever know what the speakers should've been sold for. But as long as you're not paying for them, it's all good. He even scammed his own company by selling stuff on the side. This way you'd pay him directly and the monies never went through AV451.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #14 of 29 Old 08-03-2015, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Chu I remember you as a person who adds a lot of value to the forums. No offense meant.

As much as I feel for those people -- they had a part to play. They weren't defenseless victims. Let me give you an example. I got ripped off for over 7 figures in December by a man I thought I knew who is a 1%'er. My part? I ignored the signs. I assumed he would be cool. I didn't do my due diligence. Why? My greed. I wanted the deals so I ignored the signs. He got me. But I'm no victim. I had a part to play and I could've said "no" at any point.

By the time the subs came -- the signs were there that the company was in trouble. Seaton is a class act. He deserved better. But at the end of the day I'll bet he doesn't see himself as a victim. No future in being a victim.

Carl Rogers -- "If you accept that you're a human being then you must accept that you're part of human nature, and if you accept that, then you must accept that you are capable of doing what another man has done in the same circumstances." Not saying you would but you could.
post #15 of 29 Old 08-03-2015, 01:42 PM

As in sports, sometimes the best deals are the ones you didn't make.

post #16 of 29 Old 08-04-2015, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes. Agreed. But sometimes we follow our heads which are busy rationalizing rather than our intuition which is nudging "don't do it". But then the head says, "But once this deal is done, I'll be able to buy that house. What could go wrong?" The head then begins to build a positive case overlooking the negatives. At least mine does.
post #17 of 29 Old 08-04-2015, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What LCR would you guys recommend as an upgrade to my current RS750. My budget around 3k.
post #18 of 29 Old 08-04-2015, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
"i've been thinking night and day about our new rocket rs 1000 after my last visit to china … as this will be the top of the line for the rocket series of loudspeakers, i'm going to pour a lot into this product as it represents sort of a milestone for me… let me explain why… " says mark schifter - president of av123.
lol

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #19 of 29 Old 08-04-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorium. View Post
What LCR would you guys recommend as an upgrade to my current RS750. My budget around 3k.
What are your listening habits (mostly movies/mostly music) and are aesthetics high on your priority list?
post #20 of 29 Old 08-04-2015, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Listening to the Rocket system last night I was reminded of how seamless, warm, and expansive they are. There was a lot of good engineering in there. I don't know. I bought these long before there were murmurs about him. I never bought anything else. I went to a dinner he hosted. maybe 50 guys. He picked up the tab. I thought at the time it was an investment in building a community. Maybe it was all ego. Came across as a nice schlub. He was not at all charismatic. Not anyone you'd drink kool-aid for.
post #21 of 29 Old 08-04-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
I went from Rocket 750s /Bigfoot to JBL Pro Cinema 4722's. Before you google them, I warn you - they are not for the feint at heart and zero WAF. If it is a dedicated room, I have heard no speaker that can touch them for clarity, dynamics, sensitivity and cost. They will take your movies to another level. Three of them would push your budget up from 3k to $3300 but that is delivered.
GAF and money is not the issue for me. My initial though on the 4722 is hidious compared to the rocket lol. For the the size it may be over kill for my dedicated room 14x18.
post #22 of 29 Old 08-04-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
What are your listening habits (mostly movies/mostly music) and are aesthetics high on your priority list?
As most have mention here on the forum. If the speaker sound good for music, will so for movie or gaming. I though spending that much money I should be able get the best bang for the buck.
post #23 of 29 Old 08-04-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
As most have mention here on the forum. If the speaker sound good for music, will so for movie or gaming. I though spending that much money I should be able get the best bang for the buck.
Well, sometimes if there is a big preference for 2 channel then it may shift the choice somewhat. Anyways, thought I should ask. I agree with melon_labe that the jbl 4722 are an outstanding choice if you can fit them.
post #24 of 29 Old 08-04-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
What do you find lacking? Using a sub?

post #25 of 29 Old 08-05-2015, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What's up Chu, hadn't seen you around in a while... since another gem...Craig was the topic...LOL. Yea I was thinking the same thing that I didn't think the overseas companies where being paid. He sure wanted to make speakers really bad at any cost...or lack of cost!
post #26 of 29 Old 08-05-2015, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Upgrade is subjective. I currently own the RS850s,Paradigm Focus, qsc 2150 volt 10lx and volt 10 and have owned Pro speakers as well, Pro10, Sho10, JBL 3677, 8330a, 8340a, Klipsh rf82 .... (these are just a list of High sensitivity ones and the orange ones I'd only recommend to my enemies..

If you want a definite "upgrade" for HT that's really where it's at as in a huge dynamic upgrade you get with larger drivers and high sensitivity. Personally I don't think even Studio 100s would be an "upgrade" as you may like something about the rockets more, everyone has different taste. The DIY soundgroup has kits including the volt 10lx which even though it's a cheaper option I'd say ist's an upgrade. Out of the list above the 3677 is hands down king on my list with insane midbass, dynamics and vocals with a price tag of $600 each.. Although I just installed QSC 2150s in my baffle wall but I'm not at a point to judge them yet.

The worst by far on my list above are the surrounds by JBL 8340a and 8330a.

Last edited by cdy2179; 08-05-2015 at 04:40 AM.
post #27 of 29 Old 08-05-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
This man speaks the truth. If you are into home theater, you won't beat a JBL Pro Cinema speaker for the money. It was actually his thread on the 3677s that led me down the JBL road and the fact he was directly comparing them to the Rockets that I owned at the time. Many thanks @cdy2179

Ha... You're welcome. I can say having them I had found my perfect HT speaker that destroyed everything before it. If the room had been able to accommodate a false wall I'd still have them. And If brand new QSC 2150s hadn't fallen in my lap dirt cheap I was going to buy 3677 again for the new HT as well. I'm sure the 4722 is all that and more.

Saying that...I've had the 8340a and the 8330a.. and both are boat anchors IMO. The Volt 10lx is where it's at for surround duty IMO, no comparison between the 3. But JBL Pro Cinema Mains are at another level.
post #28 of 29 Old 08-05-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Liked: 4474
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
Ha... You're welcome. I can say having them I had found my perfect HT speaker that destroyed everything before it. If the room had been able to accommodate a false wall I'd still have them. And If brand new QSC 2150s hadn't fallen in my lap dirt cheap I was going to buy 3677 again for the new HT as well. I'm sure the 4722 is all that and more.

Saying that...I've had the 8340a and the 8330a.. and both are boat anchors IMO. The Volt 10lx is where it's at for surround duty IMO, no comparison between the 3. But JBL Pro Cinema Mains are at another level.
I use the JBL SCS 8 which sound great. They are the replacements for the 83 series and is what JBL uses in their demos now.
post #29 of 29 Old 08-05-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That looks like a good design. 8" coax just like the volts. I know some like the 8340a and even the 8330a , so I try not to bash them too bad....I'll just say a match would have made them better.

If you need anymore or go Atmos keep the Volt 10lx in mind, they can be mounted IB style (open back) like a ceiling speaker. Besides it's not like the any of the JBl surrounds are timber matched to the mains so there's nothing to lose either way. Super smooth and detailed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page