Live in Japan and am having a hard time building a 7.1 system - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By theslydog
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-11-2015, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Live in Japan and am having a hard time building a 7.1 system

Hey all, first time poster, long time lurker.

I am trying to build a 7.1 (or .2) home theater, but I am having a bitchin' time deciding on/finding speakers out here. I live out in Japan, and it is seriously hard to find many audiophile quality speakers out here. Normal sources are kakaku.com and amazon.co.jp and sometimes Ratuken. I currently have a pair of Bose 201s that I find arent terrible (I got them for 30$) and bose is really easy to find. I'm worried that I'm going to just cave under frustration and buy 301s and 201s and build out a system. Please save me from myself!

info:
Room: smallish (it is Japan). I think about 16m2(next house will be 20m2 or more).
Use: 50% movies, 30% music, 20% games
Budget: (250000yen /~$2500) or less is better
Pairing with
DENON AVR-X4100WK receiver.
Colour :Black
Type: Front speakers are tower or bookshelf. I want nothing to be wall mounted.

Thanks in advance
japesthetank is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 08-11-2015, 01:58 AM
Member
 
theslydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by japesthetank View Post
Hey all, first time poster, long time lurker.

I am trying to build a 7.1 (or .2) home theater, but I am having a bitchin' time deciding on/finding speakers out here. I live out in Japan, and it is seriously hard to find many audiophile quality speakers out here. Normal sources are kakaku.com and amazon.co.jp and sometimes Ratuken. I currently have a pair of Bose 201s that I find arent terrible (I got them for 30$) and bose is really easy to find. I'm worried that I'm going to just cave under frustration and buy 301s and 201s and build out a system. Please save me from myself!

info:
Room: smallish (it is Japan). I think about 16m2(next house will be 20m2 or more).
Use: 50% movies, 30% music, 20% games
Budget: (250000yen /~$2500) or less is better
Pairing with
DENON AVR-X4100WK receiver.
Colour :Black
Type: Front speakers are tower or bookshelf. I want nothing to be wall mounted.

Thanks in advance
Maybe some Onkyo 509's

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/s...509/index.html

http://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/mall/D%EF%BC%8D509E/
japesthetank likes this.
theslydog is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 08-11-2015, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[quote=theslydog;36411354]Maybe some Onkyo 509's


Looks good, but I don't understand this part in the decription:
When so paired in a bi-amped configuration, audio signals are digitally processed within the receiver, rather than being sent through less precise speaker crossovers
japesthetank is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 08-11-2015, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,135
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Kenrick Sound! If they are nearby-ish go have a listen.
ronny31 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 08-11-2015, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 7,058
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by japesthetank View Post
Hey all, first time poster, long time lurker.

I am trying to build a 7.1 (or .2) home theater, but I am having a bitchin' time deciding on/finding speakers out here. I live out in Japan, and it is seriously hard to find many audiophile quality speakers out here. Normal sources are kakaku.com and amazon.co.jp and sometimes Ratuken. I currently have a pair of Bose 201s that I find arent terrible (I got them for 30$) and bose is really easy to find. I'm worried that I'm going to just cave under frustration and buy 301s and 201s and build out a system. Please save me from myself!

info:
Room: smallish (it is Japan). I think about 16m2(next house will be 20m2 or more).
Use: 50% movies, 30% music, 20% games
Budget: (250000yen /~$2500) or less is better
Pairing with
DENON AVR-X4100WK receiver.
Colour :Black
Type: Front speakers are tower or bookshelf. I want nothing to be wall mounted.

Thanks in advance

Get some Pioneer speakers.

They are much better IMO than Bose.
commsysman is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 08-11-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 5,306
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked: 1225
Yamaha makes some decent speakers at an affordable price. I believe Sony also makes some decent high end speakers. I would imagine they would be available in Japan.
KidHorn is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 08-11-2015, 08:35 AM
Senior Member
 
peterfram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by japesthetank View Post
Normal sources are kakaku.com and amazon.co.jp and sometimes Ratuken.
Thanks in advance
Lived there for a decade and remember having similar problems. The usual Kakaku or Rakuten fall back didn't work well for me either. I'm pretty sure I just wondered around Akihabara shops until I found the right speakers. Small specialty shops like Kenrich sound are probably what you want to find. Also, I once bought mains at Yodobashi camera of all places. Looks like they still distribute some high quality speakers. http://www.yodobashi.com/%E3%82%B9%E...ELL_PRICE_DESC

Yodobashi points scheme! Oh my!
peterfram is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 08-11-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
charmerci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,287
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfram View Post
Lived there for a decade and remember having similar problems. The usual Kakaku or Rakuten fall back didn't work well for me either. I'm pretty sure I just wondered around Akihabara shops until I found the right speakers. Small specialty shops like Kenrich sound are probably what you want to find. Also, I once bought mains at Yodobashi camera of all places. Looks like they still distribute some high quality speakers. http://www.yodobashi.com/%E3%82%B9%E...ELL_PRICE_DESC

Yodobashi points scheme! Oh my!
They sell Revel, Dynaudio, Tannoy, Monitor Audio ...and you can even ask if they are going to sell the new Andrew Jones designed ELAC B5.
charmerci is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 08-11-2015, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfram View Post
Lived there for a decade and remember having similar problems. The usual Kakaku or Rakuten fall back didn't work well for me either. I'm pretty sure I just wondered around Akihabara shops until I found the right speakers. Small specialty shops like Kenrich sound are probably what you want to find. Also, I once bought mains at Yodobashi camera of all places. Looks like they still distribute some high quality speakers.
Yodobashi points scheme! Oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
They sell Revel, Dynaudio, Tannoy, Monitor Audio ...and you can even ask if they are going to sell the new Andrew Jones designed ELAC B5.
Yeah, I actually live and work about 10 mins from bike from a flagship yodabashi store, I was in there the other day. They had some great stuff, though I didnt recognize the brands, one pair of towers sounded great. They were overpriced though. As is everything in Japanese department stores.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the d-509 series recommended above from Onkyo. They seem to be top of the line, are at my pricepoint, and are a Japan exclusive. This is good because many overseas products are overprices because of huge import fees, so buying japanese offers value. The downside is they are not well known, and all reviews are in Japanese and so I can't really understand about them.

le sigh
japesthetank is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 08-11-2015, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
justthinking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 226
If you don't mind hunting for used gears and you can somewhat read Japanese..

http://www.audiounion.jp/

http://yahoo.aleado.com/23764-catlist.html

Many great bargains to be found here..

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X4400H, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, C380LCR x4 and Martin Logan Descent I x2
2 Channel - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Marantz SA-KI-Pearl, Primaluna Dialogue Three, Parasound Halo A21, JL Audio CR1, JL Audio E112 and ATS Acoustics room treatments
justthinking is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 08-11-2015, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
If you don't mind hunting for used gears and you can somewhat read Japanese..

Many great bargains to be found here..
Can't try them out first though, and this is my first non-bose home theatre. Im in a little over my head without testing.
japesthetank is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
7.1 , Denon , speakers , surround

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off