Outdoor speaker placement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-08-2015, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Outdoor speaker placement

I have 2 questions on mounting outdoor speakers.

1. I attached a picture of our patio (sorry not the best picture but will give you an idea) and the eaves of the house are not really close at all so trying to decide the best way to mount outdoor speakers.

2. On the front of the house under the porch ceiling is vinyl siding. Is vinyl siding strong enough to mount ceiling speakers to or should I be doings something else to secure them?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	patio.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	982481  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-08-2015, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
Vinyl siding along is not going to hold your speakers in place, but that vinyl siding is attached to something that will support your speakers. You either have OSB or plywood on the other side of it, or at the minimum 2x4 studs are behind it. If you press on the vinyl siding does it bounce back and forth a lot? If yes you will need to find the studs or rafters and attach your speakers there. If the siding does not move what so ever there is likely OSB or plywood behind it and then you could attach your speakers anywhere.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-08-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3088 Post(s)
Liked: 2878
If possible, attach your speakers just under one of the awnings. This will help to reinforce and reflect the sound. If you mount them out in the open, the sound will dissipate rather quickly into the open air, and you will end up having to turn it WAY up in order to get a similar volume to the under-eaves approach. You could even mount two pairs of speakers, one set under each awning area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-12-2015, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
Vinyl siding along is not going to hold your speakers in place, but that vinyl siding is attached to something that will support your speakers. You either have OSB or plywood on the other side of it, or at the minimum 2x4 studs are behind it. If you press on the vinyl siding does it bounce back and forth a lot? If yes you will need to find the studs or rafters and attach your speakers there. If the siding does not move what so ever there is likely OSB or plywood behind it and then you could attach your speakers anywhere.
I was able to get in the attic and I can actually see onto the front porch. It is only siding on the ceiling and not OSB or plywood. What would be the best way to mount ceiling speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
If possible, attach your speakers just under one of the awnings. This will help to reinforce and reflect the sound. If you mount them out in the open, the sound will dissipate rather quickly into the open air, and you will end up having to turn it WAY up in order to get a similar volume to the under-eaves approach. You could even mount two pairs of speakers, one set under each awning area.
If I am going to start out with one pair of speakers for the patio, would it be best to put a pair under the eave (fireplace) next to the back door. Seems like it would be kinda close but at the sametime I wouldn't have to turn it up to get good sound. Then in the future put another pair of speakers under the eve on the the other side of the house (left side on the pic)?

Thanks!
post #5 of 5 Old 10-13-2015, 12:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3088 Post(s)
Liked: 2878
Closest to where you will be sitting. Also, keep the speaker at least 6" from the edge of the eave. This will help with sound reinforcement.

Last edited by RayGuy; 10-13-2015 at 12:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page