Elac Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 596Likes

post #361 of 2561 Old 11-26-2015, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
When budget allows, I'll sell my Paradigm sub and get the ELAC 10" sub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151125_141953.jpg
Views:	1360
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1081234  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2561 Old 11-27-2015, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had my pair of F5's for a couple weeks now and I thought I'd post a couple impressions.

I bought them to replace an old pair of JBL G500's in my living room. I also have a pair of Sonus Faber Venere 3.0s.

I have them hooked up to my Denon 2100 and have been playing FLAC tracks from the receiver itself. The first thing that I noticed was that I was really impressed by the bass these can put out. The JBL's have 8" woofers and overall are enormous compared to the F5, but the bass is so much clearer on the F5's. The imaging is fantastic. I've actually gotten out of my seat several times to make sure the center speaker wasn't playing. I am a little disappointed in the tweeter though, at least compared to the Sonus Faber's. The highs seem to lack a presence and clarity that the SF's have, but it's probably not really fair to compare them considering their price points. Overall I'm pretty happy with them though. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for their higher end speakers.
post #363 of 2561 Old 11-28-2015, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfalk View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that my problem above wasn't the speakers at all. It was the Denon. All fixed now... watched Pan's Labyrinth last night and listened to Brahms Requiem this morning in Dolby Surround, both at around -8 dB, which is about as loud as I'm comfortable with. Loving the Elacs.

Thankful for my new system, along with all the important things. Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
What was wrong with the Denon?

I had the B6 hooked up to a Denon X1200 and it sounded thin and artificial compared to it being hooked up to an Onkyo NR-636.

FWIW, the B6 are a bit too strong on the bass IMO (over 2 feet from walls)- haven't auditioned the B5, but I think I'd prefer the B5 + sub over the B6 + sub; when toned down, the B6 sound articulated and the bass presented is very clean, but the highs seem a bit veiled; great separation with instruments; I think I like the sound of the B&W 685s better personally

For whatever reason, am missing the "Wow!" factor others have been getting immediately. Compared to the PSB Alpha and a fairly old Bose Model 21, they're light years better than the 21, but just behind the entry level PSBs in overall quality of sound.

in near field monitoring, it's VERY clear the B6 are the more detailed speaker by far. when taken at listening distances greater than 3 feet from the speakers, the PSB Alpha sound better as a whole- though it may be simply be that I'm just used to them or the fact that the ELACs aren't as sensitive

will pair with the B6 a sub 2m and see if the SQ changes; they were played for around 6 hours with no change in sound from open box to 6 hours later

some have stated that they require a 60-200 hour break in, wonder if this will make a difference

will give ELAC a call on Monday as see if there is something I should be doing differently given that they sound good, but nowhere near the reviews that I've been reading

anyone have advice on stands for the B5 or B6? or advice on a budget speaker that emphasizes highs that isn't as harsh as Klipsch?

Last edited by SC2006; 11-29-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 2561 Old 11-28-2015, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
anyone knows when is it available outside of america? globally? thanks
post #365 of 2561 Old 11-29-2015, 06:42 AM

UPDATE: At around the 12 hour mark… it's like a someone replaced the last set of slightly muddy(bass) speaker… with a different MUCH better set. Clearer, tighter bass, highs are starting to come through.

Right now, the way they sound at this point- they're definitely worth the price of admission. Really hope they get even better over time.

Anyone looking at audition the B6 really needs to give them at least 24 hours of break-in before beginning the actual audition period (yes - I'm now a definite believer in speakers breaking in).

And I'm fine with the B6 instead of the B5now. I would've preferred the B5 earlier because the quality of the bass on the B6 was initially somewhat bloaty. The bass has tightened up and the speaker just sounds clearer in every way. My wife thought I was playing a trick on her when I did an A/B switching with another pair of speakers. She didn't believe the ELACs were the same speakers she heard yesterday afternoon.

Positioning of the speakers have not changed, settings have not changed, same cables/plugs, switching between 2 different receivers, but they sound better on both receivers. Wish I could audition them with an amp/more power.

Budget limitations… eagerly awaiting the ELAC integrated amp for a 2.1 system.
avs markie and dsrussell like this.

Last edited by SC2006; 11-29-2015 at 03:14 PM.
post #366 of 2561 Old 11-30-2015, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2006 View Post

I had the B6 hooked up to a Denon X1200 and it sounded thin and artificial compared to it being hooked up to an Onkyo NR-636.

FWIW, the B6 are a bit too strong on the bass IMO (over 2 feet from walls)- haven't auditioned the B5, but I think I'd prefer the B5 + sub over the B6 + sub; when toned down, the B6 sound articulated and the bass presented is very clean, but the highs seem a bit veiled; great separation with instruments; I think I like the sound of the B&W 685s better personally

For whatever reason, am missing the "Wow!" factor others have been getting immediately. Compared to the PSB Alpha and a fairly old Bose Model 21, they're light years better than the 21, but just behind the entry level PSBs in overall quality of sound.

in near field monitoring, it's VERY clear the B6 are the more detailed speaker by far. when taken at listening distances greater than 3 feet from the speakers, the PSB Alpha sound better as a whole- though it may be simply be that I'm just used to them or the fact that the ELACs aren't as sensitive

will pair with the B6 a sub 2m and see if the SQ changes; they were played for around 6 hours with no change in sound from open box to 6 hours later

some have stated that they require a 60-200 hour break in, wonder if this will make a difference

will give ELAC a call on Monday as see if there is something I should be doing differently given that they sound good, but nowhere near the reviews that I've been reading

anyone have advice on stands for the B5 or B6? or advice on a budget speaker that emphasizes highs that isn't as harsh as Klipsch?

I'd be interested too to know what the issue was with the Denon. I have them hooked into my X3100 and thought it a bit thin and artificial too... but I had nothing to compare it to. Are there settings that need to be changed?
post #367 of 2561 Old 11-30-2015, 01:41 PM

Has ANYONE out there bought the either the S10EQ or S12EQ sub yet? I need to purchase a sub by tomorrow as part of an insurance claim and would love to get the S10EQ to match my B6 pair and C5 center, but have not been able to find a single thing about it. Its between that and the SVS SB-1000.... anyone have insight?
post #368 of 2561 Old 11-30-2015, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2006 View Post

It was sort of a Sherlock Holmes exercise for me. I have the Denon sitting on a shelf in a closet. After trying about ten things I thought it might be, while I was adjusting things I moved the Denon about three inches to the right on the shelf. Before that, it was against the left wall of the closet unit. Apparently, giving it air on the left-side vents corrected the problem. What's odd about this is that it couldn't have been a heat problem per se, since it went into protection on some sources in the first second or two, which suggested either a lack of power or a short. The lack of power, after some calculations, seemed impossible, and there were no strands of wire I ever found going astray. I really just moved the AVR to make it a little easier to flip it around to remove speaker connections one by one to track down the problem, but it turned out to fix the problem immediately.

While Denon talks about side clearance on its website, I couldn't find anything about it in the manual.... I was giving it plenty of top clearance from the start.

Vizio M70-C3, Denon AVR-X2200W
ELAC Debut 2xF5, 2xB5, C5
Focal Little Bird x 2 Surround Backs
Dual SVS SB-1000
Nvidia Shield Android TV, LG BD 350
Harmony Home Hub
post #369 of 2561 Old 11-30-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2669 Post(s)
Liked: 2554
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcap74 View Post
Has ANYONE out there bought the either the S10EQ or S12EQ sub yet? I need to purchase a sub by tomorrow as part of an insurance claim and would love to get the S10EQ to match my B6 pair and C5 center, but have not been able to find a single thing about it. Its between that and the SVS SB-1000.... anyone have insight?
I have the 10EQ matched up with the B5's in a 2.1 music-only system. As such, I don't push it hard as one might in a HT rig, but subjectively it sounds quite good. Whether it can crack plaster like a lot of the ID subs is something I can't say, as that is not how I use it or why I bought it.

I can say though that the auto EQ seems to work pretty well. I have not taken any fresh room measurements to see how accurate it is, but have done room measurements in the same space before, and am quite familiar with the peaks and valleys in the room. It appears to have ID'd those and addressed them pretty well.

As for the iOS App that you use to interface with the Sub, again, the EQ part works well, but a few of the settings need more polish. Some of the screens seem to be truncated, and it is almost impossible to accurately dial in the phase setting with any degree of precision. This is a case were a knob would be vastly superior to a touch screen slider. In addition, when you relaunch the app, it shows the Phase is back to 0, which can lead one to question if the sub is actually still using the setting you had previously set.

On the plus side, there are several EQ presets that overlay the baseline EQ (music, movies, night) and they appear to work as advertised, although they can be somewhat subtle. The Music mode in particular seems to add a nice foundation to music that requires it, but is in no way overbearing. That to me suggests that they were voiced by someone with good taste.

Having said all that, for me the main selling point was the built in EQ, and the few niggles with the App aside, it is meeting my needs quite well.

In the system where I am using it, I have a Denon 3808 with Audyssey, but I absolutely hate how that sounds with music. I want to EQ just the Sub, but that is not possible with Audyssey. I also have no interest in using a PC based method. Been there. Done that. Too much of a PITA for me. I had considered an AntiMode 8033 for that rig, but when I saw the new ELAC, I decided to give the sub a shot. If your system already has Audyssey or some other EQ method, then there may not really be an advantage to the ELAC. But if you don't have EQ and want an easy way to dial in the sub, it is hard to beat the ease of use that the ELACs deliver.
dsrussell likes this.
post #370 of 2561 Old 11-30-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
I have the 10EQ matched up with the B5's in a 2.1 music-only system. As such, I don't push it hard as one might in a HT rig, but subjectively it sounds quite good. Whether it can crack plaster like a lot of the ID subs is something I can't say, as that is not how I use it or why I bought it.

I can say though that the auto EQ seems to work pretty well. I have not taken any fresh room measurements to see how accurate it is, but have done room measurements in the same space before, and am quite familiar with the peaks and valleys in the room. It appears to have ID'd those and addressed them pretty well.

As for the iOS App that you use to interface with the Sub, again, the EQ part works well, but a few of the settings need more polish. Some of the screens seem to be truncated, and it is almost impossible to accurately dial in the phase setting with any degree of precision. This is a case were a knob would be vastly superior to a touch screen slider. In addition, when you relaunch the app, it shows the Phase is back to 0, which can lead one to question if the sub is actually still using the setting you had previously set.

On the plus side, there are several EQ presets that overlay the baseline EQ (music, movies, night) and they appear to work as advertised, although they can be somewhat subtle. The Music mode in particular seems to add a nice foundation to music that requires it, but is in no way overbearing. That to me suggests that they were voiced by someone with good taste.

Having said all that, for me the main selling point was the built in EQ, and the few niggles with the App aside, it is meeting my needs quite well.

In the system where I am using it, I have a Denon 3808 with Audyssey, but I absolutely hate how that sounds with music. I want to EQ just the Sub, but that is not possible with Audyssey. I also have no interest in using a PC based method. Been there. Done that. Too much of a PITA for me. I had considered an AntiMode 8033 for that rig, but when I saw the new ELAC, I decided to give the sub a shot. If your system already has Audyssey or some other EQ method, then there may not really be an advantage to the ELAC. But if you don't have EQ and want an easy way to dial in the sub, it is hard to beat the ease of use that the ELACs deliver.

Great information thanks! I am pretty new to all of this... I have Audyssey on my Denon X3100, would using that negate the need to use the built-in EQ?
post #371 of 2561 Old 11-30-2015, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2669 Post(s)
Liked: 2554
Quote:
Great information thanks! I am pretty new to all of this... I have Audyssey on my Denon X3100, would using that negate the need to use the built-in EQ?
Probably.

If you already have Audyssey and are happy with the results, then there may not be anything to gain with the ELAC EQ subs. As for the overall performance of the subs beyond the built in EQ, I have not seen any pro reviews with measurements published yet, so how they stack up to similarly priced subs remains to be seen. That said, Andrew Jones REALLY knows his onions, so to speak. Part of my buying decision was based on his reputation as someone that really knows how to deliver performance far beyond what the price tag would suggest.
post #372 of 2561 Old 11-30-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
It's a traditional sub, but this sealed sub slots between the SB-1000 & SB-2000. At $399 it's a great deal IMO.

SVS ported subs are really nice for music as well btw, with greater extension and output.

http://www.amazon.com/SVS-SB12-NSD-4...s=svs+sb12-nsd
post #373 of 2561 Old 12-02-2015, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I just got my b5s today and I have to say I'm impressed. I'm not sure how well they're going to work in the room that I want to use them in, but time will tell as my ears break in.

They're quite a bit bigger than I expected and feel very solid compared to the Pioneer AJ bookshelves (I got for $40). I've followed his interviews on Home Theater geeks and really like what he's doing.

I have it set up as 2.1 running with a 12" Velodyne. I'll turn it off later to see how they sound on their own, but it's hard getting to the back of the sub...
post #374 of 2561 Old 12-02-2015, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
It was sort of a Sherlock Holmes exercise for me. I have the Denon sitting on a shelf in a closet. After trying about ten things I thought it might be, while I was adjusting things I moved the Denon about three inches to the right on the shelf. Before that, it was against the left wall of the closet unit. Apparently, giving it air on the left-side vents corrected the problem. What's odd about this is that it couldn't have been a heat problem per se, since it went into protection on some sources in the first second or two, which suggested either a lack of power or a short. The lack of power, after some calculations, seemed impossible, and there were no strands of wire I ever found going astray. I really just moved the AVR to make it a little easier to flip it around to remove speaker connections one by one to track down the problem, but it turned out to fix the problem immediately.

While Denon talks about side clearance on its website, I couldn't find anything about it in the manual.... I was giving it plenty of top clearance from the start.
So the Denon sound cleared up and sounds fine now after moving the receiver? I'm seriously considering the X1200 for HT use. Your experience has me worried a bit now?
post #375 of 2561 Old 12-02-2015, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoD View Post
So the Denon sound cleared up and sounds fine now after moving the receiver? I'm seriously considering the X1200 for HT use. Your experience has me worried a bit now?
Yep.. sounding great. There is of course also the chance that moving the AVR happened to clear up a stray wire as well.... The X1200 should work fine.
OrlandoD likes this.

Vizio M70-C3, Denon AVR-X2200W
ELAC Debut 2xF5, 2xB5, C5
Focal Little Bird x 2 Surround Backs
Dual SVS SB-1000
Nvidia Shield Android TV, LG BD 350
Harmony Home Hub
post #376 of 2561 Old 12-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Yep.. sounding great. There is of course also the chance that moving the AVR happened to clear up a stray wire as well.... The X1200 should work fine.
Good news, thx.
post #377 of 2561 Old 12-04-2015, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoD View Post
Good news, thx.
Anyone used the Dolby atmos with elac b5s yet?
post #378 of 2561 Old 12-04-2015, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Has anyone tried the elac Dolby atmos speakers???
post #379 of 2561 Old 12-04-2015, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Regarding some of those, including me, who was concerned about high frequency extension.

It's probably at least 75% psychoacoustics but I added the spikes to the stands which seemed to increase the upper end of things.
post #380 of 2561 Old 12-05-2015, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
You misread my statement. I clearly say that it wouldn't be 40% cheaper !
Andrew, I just received the ELAC Debut B6's along with the ELAC Debut C5. I was also able to pick up your Pioneer SW-8MK2 on sale during Black Friday. Since you know you speakers best, what crossovers would you recommend for the 3 front ELAC Debut speakers with Pioneer Subwoofer?
post #381 of 2561 Old 12-06-2015, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
F5's

Isn't anyone buying the F5's. Would like to hear some impressions of these. Read some of the reviews but would like to hear from folks here.
Thinking of getting a pair.
post #382 of 2561 Old 12-07-2015, 02:47 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvy56 View Post
Isn't anyone buying the F5's. Would like to hear some impressions of these. Read some of the reviews but would like to hear from folks here.
Please see my posts #13 and #313 .

Still very pleased. I listen to most genres of music, as well as HT.
post #383 of 2561 Old 12-07-2015, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvy56 View Post
"I've had my pair of F5's for a couple weeks now and I thought I'd post a couple impressions.

I bought them to replace an old pair of JBL G500's in my living room. I also have a pair of Sonus Faber Venere 3.0s.

I have them hooked up to my Denon 2100 and have been playing FLAC tracks from the receiver itself. The first thing that I noticed was that I was really impressed by the bass these can put out. The JBL's have 8" woofers and overall are enormous compared to the F5, but the bass is so much clearer on the F5's. The imaging is fantastic. I've actually gotten out of my seat several times to make sure the center speaker wasn't playing. I am a little disappointed in the tweeter though, at least compared to the Sonus Faber's. The highs seem to lack a presence and clarity that the SF's have, but it's probably not really fair to compare them considering their price points. Overall I'm pretty happy with them though. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for their higher end speakers."
post #384 of 2561 Old 12-08-2015, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone know is Elac B6 better than Adam f5?
does UK or southeast asia have Elac B6 already?

Last edited by danielhowk; 12-08-2015 at 11:10 PM.
post #385 of 2561 Old 12-10-2015, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I just got a pair of ELAC B6's and took some quick 1m indoor gated measurements to compare them with the KEF q100's I've been using for a while.

From a construction and visual POV.

They are large plain boxes. Pretty light weight, they feel lighter than the smaller q100's and those are already lighter weight than the the Infinity p153.

Grills look horrible, pretty tight honeycomb plastic with fabric on top. I've seen posts of AJ, saying he voices his speakers without grills so they will have to go.

Overall tone is pretty similar

Elac B6 = more impact to the bass, you can actually feel it. Very smooth sound overall. Not bright by any means, but not muted sounding like the BS22 can be. Its a very pleasing to the ear speaker.
KEF q100 = More lively/dynamic. More sparkle and splash. Bass depth is similar but the impact is no there. Imaging seems more centered an in the middle, but that's probably due to being near-field with a coaxial driver

They are very similar in a lot of respects. Both are really flat across the mid-range and lower treble, I would say they have similar tone overall.

I personally lean to the liking things on the slightly lively/bright side of things. So as of my 20 minutes ABing them, I like the q100's a just a little bit more right now.

The Elac's are nice though, and retail at a good bit less money. When I get some more time with them and get a full break down and review of them, hopefully I'll be able to articulate a little more. I would say, ditch the front grills on the Elac's at all cost, and if you are up for it, pull the wire tweeter grill off too.

With my radio shack SPL meter in desktop listening position I got these measurements for the bass response.

60hz @ 90db = q100
60hz @ 92db = Elac

50hz @ 101db = q100
50hz @ 101db = Elac

40hz @ 83db = q100
40hz @ 82db = Elac

35hz @ 80db = q100
35hz @ 86dB = Elac

17 year old m3p's don't seem to have enough resolution to do a clean 30hz
30hz @ 74db =Elac

Last edited by AverageJoeAudio; 12-10-2015 at 05:51 PM.
post #386 of 2561 Old 12-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 177
AverageJoeAudio, the Q100 has higher output after around 4.5 kHz.

Is that what's driving your "More lively/dynamic. More sparkle and splash." observation?
post #387 of 2561 Old 12-10-2015, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
AverageJoeAudio, the Q100 has higher output after around 4.5 kHz.

Is that what's driving your "More lively/dynamic. More sparkle and splash." observation?
Yeah pretty much
post #388 of 2561 Old 12-11-2015, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
@Walkamo

I noticed the below quote from CNET:

"ELAC's new very affordable Debut speakers were the talk of the show, and the company's Chris Walker gave me a sneak look at their upcoming ELAC integrated, 100 watt per channel stereo amp, which features a newly devised auto calibration system for 2.1 channel, speaker/subwoofer stereo systems. The ELAC amp is due later this year."

Is there any update to the status of the integrated amp?

Thanks!

Last edited by heywaj10; 12-11-2015 at 06:41 AM. Reason: wrong member tag
post #389 of 2561 Old 12-11-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by heywaj10 View Post
@Walkamo

I noticed the below quote from CNET:

"ELAC's new very affordable Debut speakers were the talk of the show, and the company's Chris Walker gave me a sneak look at their upcoming ELAC integrated, 100 watt per channel stereo amp, which features a newly devised auto calibration system for 2.1 channel, speaker/subwoofer stereo systems. The ELAC amp is due later this year."

Is there any update to the status of the integrated amp?

Thanks!
Last I saw posted said 1st quarter 2016.

Marantz PM5005 Integrated Amplifier | Marantz CD5005 Compact Disc Player | Music Hall USB-1 Turntable | Audio-Technica AT95E Cartridge
Denon DRW-830 Cassette Tape Player | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers | AudioQuest Evergreen Interconnects
post #390 of 2561 Old 12-11-2015, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by loop7 View Post
When budget allows, I'll sell my Paradigm sub and get the ELAC 10" sub.
Is that the Elac center?

If so, have you ever thought about getting a matching bookshelf and stand?

------------------------------------------------
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : L/R - Statements by Jim Holtz
Surround Speakers : Klipsch RF-82II x 4 / RP-280F x 2
Subwooferage : 6 UM18/4 HT18 Subwoofer Log
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
debut f5 , elac , SA-XR55

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page