post #61 of 2668 Old 10-20-2015, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili99 View Post
Elac is relatively unknown as a speaker manufacturer here in the US. Other brands have threads with over a million views - I had to create this one a few days ago. Elac used to be bigger as a speaker manufacturer even in Germany. A couple of years ago they became Chinese-owned.
Chinese owned? Please cite this, I think that is incorrect, they DO manufacture some of their products there, as do most others.
Not even really sure what this has to do with this thread.

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
Sony x65-900F+ShieldTV+ Kodi Leia=>SR6010=>Integra DTA-70.1=>Chane A1.4 x 3 + DCM OW-1s x 2 + 1 x RSL Speedwoofer10 S+ 1 x Sunfire HRS12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2668 Old 10-20-2015, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Elac B6 sounds good

Okay, I've been listening to a pair of B6's since they arrived on Oct 16 and they sound really good. They are clear, detailed and lacking in any kind of irritation. Vocals sound great whether female or male. I tend to listen to a lot of jazz, but also well recorded rock and blues. For the first three days, I listened to the Elacs by themselves and the bass was nice and solid, without a hint of boom; that could be due to the placement of the speakers five feet from any walls. The last two days, I integrated an SVS subwoofer that was unable to be integrated well with any previous speakers. The combo worked quite well. The sound of instruments and voices appear free of the location of the speakers; I guess that's called soundstaging and imaging, but those descriptions always sound pompous to me. The speakers simply sound right to me and the low price is just an added bonus. I'm happy!
post #63 of 2668 Old 10-20-2015, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
Chinese owned? Please cite this, I think that is incorrect, they DO manufacture some of their products there, as do most others.
If it pertains to the company manufacturing these speakers the information is indeed relevant. Elac is owned by Global Legend Holdings Co. Ltd.a Virgin Islands company. Virgin Island companies are sometimes tough to crack and Elac sources do not include a single Chinese reference however Global Legend Holdings was defined as a "Chinese investor" and Elac as a "target" by SMB Consultants in a study of "Chinese Acquisitions in Germany".The purchase "by the Chinese" raised a bit of a discussion by German hi-fi enthusiasts at the time. An online vendor, rutherfordaudio, includes a disclaimer that ELAC is now a subsidiary of "Global Legend Holdings Co a Chinese Investment Company based in Beijing (best known for its ownership of Lenovo)." You need to go through hoops to find out bits of ownership details about this company. If you look up Klipsch you'll find full ownership information in under 5 seconds.
wvu80 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2668 Old 10-21-2015, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili99 View Post
If it pertains to the company manufacturing these speakers the information is indeed relevant. Elac is owned by Global Legend Holdings Co. Ltd.a Virgin Islands company. Virgin Island companies are sometimes tough to crack and Elac sources do not include a single Chinese reference however Global Legend Holdings was defined as a "Chinese investor" and Elac as a "target" by SMB Consultants in a study of "Chinese Acquisitions in Germany".The purchase "by the Chinese" raised a bit of a discussion by German hi-fi enthusiasts at the time. An online vendor, rutherfordaudio, includes a disclaimer that ELAC is now a subsidiary of "Global Legend Holdings Co a Chinese Investment Company based in Beijing (best known for its ownership of Lenovo)." You need to go through hoops to find out bits of ownership details about this company. If you look up Klipsch you'll find full ownership information in under 5 seconds.
Interesting. ELAC is still headquartered in Germany, though. And, as long as it's a good product, I don't think it really matters who owns it.
christoofar likes this.
post #65 of 2668 Old 10-21-2015, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
The thread does have "Owners" in the title!
christoofar and wvu80 like this.
post #66 of 2668 Old 10-21-2015, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacodutaco View Post
The bold part above is what I like to hear. I have listened to the Klipsch and I bet many in the 2-channel group have since they are readily available at big box stores. If you look at speakers like the Kef Q100 and Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 that are both comparable to the B5 by Elac they all have a sensitivity of 85 - 86 dB at 2.83 v/1m but if you look at the frequency response the Elac is the winner with 46 to 20,000 Hz with Keff having 49Hz - 40kHz and Wharfedale having 48-24kHz. If these measurements are accurate the Elac will have higher highs and lower lows. The Klipsch wins with sensitivity and if playing loud music is what you like that would be a way to go. If you want a more refined, accurate sound with better-defined bass then the Elac B5 is the way to go. (Again, this is all on paper mind you)

As you can see, this is comparing apples to apples and the bottom line looks like the Elac B5 at $230 (Amazon) beats out the Kef Q100 $550 (Kef Store) and the Wharfedale $300 (On Sale @ Music Direct).
There is a lot more to a speaker than just the specs on paper. And all those numbers are not different enough to be noticeable, the human ear isn't going to be able to detect a few Hz difference in low end extension, and human hearing doesn't go much beyond 20KHz.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #67 of 2668 Old 10-21-2015, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumuo View Post
Interesting. ELAC is still headquartered in Germany, though. And, as long as it's a good product, I don't think it really matters who owns it.
Succinctly, this.

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
Sony x65-900F+ShieldTV+ Kodi Leia=>SR6010=>Integra DTA-70.1=>Chane A1.4 x 3 + DCM OW-1s x 2 + 1 x RSL Speedwoofer10 S+ 1 x Sunfire HRS12
post #68 of 2668 Old 10-21-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
There is a lot more to a speaker than just the specs on paper. And all those numbers are not different enough to be noticeable, the human ear isn't going to be able to detect a few Hz difference in low end extension, and human hearing doesn't go much beyond 20KHz.
Also, Chris mentioned in one of his intro videos how the spec numbers were derived.
The sensitivity, for example, was not embellished numbers like some manufacturers marketing camps.
post #69 of 2668 Old 10-21-2015, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Well it should matter, now if the Chinese played by the rules when it comes to global manufacturing, patient and environmental laws etc.. I have been their twice and what they are doing to their country at our expense for cheap goods would make your jaw drop. I have nothing against buying some things from China as at this point there is no helping it as their labor cost are so cheap in comparison of other countries. It's sad to see European countries, Canada and the US having everything built there considering they are communist country. But whats not funny is companies layoff people move things overseas and wonder why people don't have a job to buy the less expensive stuff we are importing, very sad. I was a big fan of Dynaudio as their speakers were owned by a European company and made their, but that changed now the Chinese own them! If you want a great speaker made in the US look no further than Magnepan.... Sorry end of Rant.....

Now back to speakers...... LOL I bought a pair of the B6's and should have them next week, I will have a chance to compare them to some Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII and a pair of KEF LS50.
post #70 of 2668 Old 10-21-2015, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Well it should matter, now if the Chinese played by the rules when it comes to global manufacturing, patient and environmental laws etc.. I have been their twice and what they are doing to their country at our expense for cheap goods would make your jaw drop. I have nothing against buying some things from China as at this point there is no helping it as their labor cost are so cheap in comparison of other countries. It's sad to see European countries, Canada and the US having everything built there considering they are communist country. But whats not funny is companies layoff people move things overseas and wonder why people don't have a job to buy the less expensive stuff we are importing, very sad. I was a big fan of Dynaudio as their speakers were owned by a European company and made their, but that changed now the Chinese own them! If you want a great speaker made in the US look no further than Magnepan.... Sorry end of Rant.....

Now back to speakers...... LOL I bought a pair of the B6's and should have them next week, I will have a chance to compare them to some Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII and a pair of KEF LS50.
I was more referring to the fact that, as far as I know, they still have their headquarters in Germany, and still make the higher end speakers there. They're now employing people in the US as well. Would it be better if all of the manufacturing was in Germany or the US, or both? Sure, but very few companies seem to be doing that these days. As long as they're not taking all of the jobs to China, I don't really care if a Chinese investment company owns them.
post #71 of 2668 Old 10-22-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was more referring to the fact that, as far as I know, they still have their headquarters in Germany, and still make the higher end speakers there. They're now employing people in the US as well. Would it be better if all of the manufacturing was in Germany or the US, or both? Sure, but very few companies seem to be doing that these days. As long as they're not taking all of the jobs to China, I don't really care if a Chinese investment company owns them.
Very true, as I started it was just a rant, as I see more companies building things here just to squeeze out higher profit margins and I am not falling for it, I not paying Krell prices knowing now a lot of the parts and products are being built their. Some companies get this like Rogue Audio and Magnepan etc..
post #72 of 2668 Old 10-22-2015, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brouham View Post
Okay, I've been listening to a pair of B6's since they arrived on Oct 16 and they sound really good. They are clear, detailed and lacking in any kind of irritation. Vocals sound great whether female or male. I tend to listen to a lot of jazz, but also well recorded rock and blues. For the first three days, I listened to the Elacs by themselves and the bass was nice and solid, without a hint of boom; that could be due to the placement of the speakers five feet from any walls. The last two days, I integrated an SVS subwoofer that was unable to be integrated well with any previous speakers. The combo worked quite well. The sound of instruments and voices appear free of the location of the speakers; I guess that's called soundstaging and imaging, but those descriptions always sound pompous to me. The speakers simply sound right to me and the low price is just an added bonus. I'm happy!
Nice write-up sir.
What stand are you using for the B6's, and what position are the tweeters at the LP?

Steve
post #73 of 2668 Old 10-22-2015, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

max190: Nice setup you have I see your using the Dynaudio Contour 3.4s, I had them for a few years and went for the C2 Originals and then after 10 years upgraded them too the Platinum series... The B6's will be used in my office very soon...
post #74 of 2668 Old 10-22-2015, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Quote:
max190: Nice setup you have I see your using the Dynaudio Contour 3.4s, I had them for a few years and went for the C2 Originals and then after 10 years upgraded them too the Platinum series... The B6's will be used in my office very soon...
Just a note to say that my B5's arrived unscathed. Amazon double boxes them, although the packing in the factory carton seems adequate to avoid problems without that. They're certainly nice speakers. I won't say anything more than that since I have an obvious conflict of interest. I'll be interested to see whether my specific impressions track those of other owners.
post #75 of 2668 Old 10-22-2015, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Just a note to say that my B5's arrived unscathed. Amazon double boxes them, although the packing in the factory carton seems adequate to avoid problems without that. They're certainly nice speakers. I won't say anything more than that since I have an obvious conflict of interest. I'll be interested to see whether my specific impressions track those of other owners.
post #76 of 2668 Old 10-22-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Dennis that being your another speaker builder!
post #77 of 2668 Old 10-22-2015, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Mine are arriving tomorrow directly from Elac.
post #78 of 2668 Old 10-22-2015, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Setup info

Quote:
Originally Posted by max190 View Post
Nice write-up sir.
What stand are you using for the B6's, and what position are the tweeters at the LP?
I am using 24" Sound Organisation stands that are no longer made. The tweeters are almost exactly ear level; my couch sits high. The LP is at the apex of a nine foot equilateral triangle. My amp is an integrated NAD C325BEE.

Last edited by Brouham; 10-22-2015 at 08:16 PM.
post #79 of 2668 Old 10-22-2015, 08:55 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post
Well, that's not surprise at all. KEF LS50 are way ovverated.
Now I am curious you think the LS50 are over rated!
post #80 of 2668 Old 10-22-2015, 08:59 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Quote:
........Now back to speakers...... LOL I bought a pair of the B6's and should have them next week, I will have a chance to compare them to some Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII and a pair of KEF LS50.
I will be curious to hear your opinion KEF LS50 vs ELac B6 Taht should be most interesting

I might just buy a pair of C5 just to compare! Amazon is out of stock
post #81 of 2668 Old 10-23-2015, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

wse: I know your a KEF fan, as I am... I heard them at several shows after reading a lot of the initial reviews and I don't think they are overrated at all. The only issue I have is too much of a good thing, I have my pair in my office and with 3 boys running around I would rather have some thing, less expensive right now. My B6 should be here today/tomorrow so I will have the weekend to give them a go, but fit and finish go to the LS50, thats a give in already.. My Contour 1.3 MKII are older speakers but have always sounded good so it will be fun to compare the 3......

Just curious what are you going to replace your B&W with?

Last edited by Garman; 10-23-2015 at 07:51 AM.
post #82 of 2668 Old 10-23-2015, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Thanks Garman. I love the C2's but my room is too small for them.
Do to life changes my 3.4's are up for sale here. I am looking to down-size my system.
Sounds like fun this weekend when the new Elac's show up.

Steve
post #83 of 2668 Old 10-23-2015, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Do to life changes my 3.4's are up for sale here. I am looking to down-size my system.
Finally got my B6's yesterday and listening right now Diana Krall, and she sounds pretty awesome , voice is very clear , lively and natural . I'm listening the B6's without a sub , really you don't need one , is very real, tide and not boomy at all. I'm very impress.
Garman and yanks1 like this.

Last edited by porfi4ever; 10-23-2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: writing mistake
post #84 of 2668 Old 10-23-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
max190: I hear you with 3 boys in sports, I am done looking for the holly grail in audio, nothing is perfect nor is any speaker. I use Magnepan and Dynaudio, I have listened to a ton of other stuff and my ears love these speakers. The fun thing is these days is looking for some thing that doesn't cost an arm and a leg that sounds fantastic and Andrew Jones has made a habit of making this happen. I will have a pair of his Pioneer speakers/Dynaudio Contour 1.3MkII and KEFs to come the Elac too, I will be selling a pair off... What are you looking to downsize too?
post #85 of 2668 Old 10-23-2015, 10:25 AM

Finally got my B6's yesterday and listening right now Diana Krall, and she sounds pretty awesome , voice is very clear , lively and natural . I'm listening the B6's without a sub , really very impress , it is tight and not boomy at all.

Last edited by porfi4ever; 10-27-2015 at 05:34 PM.
post #86 of 2668 Old 10-23-2015, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi,

I'm still torn between 3 B6, 3 F5, or 2 of either and a C5 center for the fronts in a 7.1 channel setup (primarily for movies and games). Can you guys who know more about this please advise me which would be the best for immersive sound and why so I can pull the trigger already! Thanks so much for your help!
post #87 of 2668 Old 10-23-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael79 View Post
Hi,

I'm still torn between 3 B6, 3 F5, or 2 of either and a C5 center for the fronts in a 7.1 channel setup (primarily for movies and games). Can you guys who know more about this please advise me which would be the best for immersive sound and why so I can pull the trigger already! Thanks so much for your help!
I would go with 2 F5 and C5 for the fronts and 2 B5 for surround + sub.
post #88 of 2668 Old 10-23-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 2447
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Now I am curious you think the LS50 are over rated!
Pay no attention to that troll. He is a KEF hater...

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #89 of 2668 Old 10-23-2015, 12:58 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
wse: I know your a KEF fan, as I am... I heard them at several shows after reading a lot of the initial reviews and I don't think they are overrated at all. The only issue I have is too much of a good thing, I have my pair in my office and with 3 boys running around I would rather have some thing, less expensive right now. My B6 should be here today/tomorrow so I will have the weekend to give them a go, but fit and finish go to the LS50, thats a give in already.. My Contour 1.3 MKII are older speakers but have always sounded good so it will be fun to compare the 3......

Just curious what are you going to replace your B&W with?
I hear you, I have not decided for the B&W first need to sell them without loosing my shirt

I will not use full range anymore for surround sound it' a waist of money
post #90 of 2668 Old 10-23-2015, 01:00 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
.... I am done looking for the holly grail in audio, nothing is perfect nor is any speaker.... The fun thing is these days is looking for some thing that doesn't cost an arm and a leg that sounds fantastic and Andrew Jones has made a habit of making this happen. ... What are you looking to downsize too?
I agree the whole high end audio is becoming out of this work and way to expensive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
debut f5 , elac , SA-XR55

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page