597Likes

post #211 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbusnic View Post
I agree with Adam's review completely. I have the B5s. First let me say that the punchiness and depth of the bass was incredibly impressive for such a small speaker. As everyone here has said, for such a low price these are good speakers. However, the positives are quickly overshadowed by one very strong negative... they are extremely lacking in the upper range. Everything from cymbals to the shrill of an electric guitar finishing a solo or a singer hitting a high note almost sounds as if it were muted and pushed to the background. I just can't get the B5's tweeter to give me what I want.

I have to admit I am pretty disappointed. After reading the rave reviews from the audio shows and pro reviews starting to trickle out, my expectations were set very high. All of this hype had me convinced that these little speakers were going to blow me away. I don't consider myself an audiophile, and I know I don't have a trained ear capable of picking up nuanced differences in sound, but the lack of upper range in these ELACs was immediately apparent to me and others who have come over to listen. I'm sure that the upper frequency response could be brought into an acceptable range with the proper electronics and tuning, but I don't think the average Joe buying a ~$200 set of speakers is going to have the skill set or electronics to achieve that. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, I think you still get what you pay for.
I have to say I somewhat agree, but I don't think it is as bad as this post makes it sound. The highs definitely are not harsh or forward. Right now I have a head cold and can't hear very well, but I can't say that I'm disappointed in the B5's. For a $230 pair of speakers I think they perform very well. I listened to them all day yesterday and never grew tired of them at all. Throughout the day I began to enjoy them more and more. At the end of the day, just different opinions on listening preferences I think. I don't like the highs to be in my face as much so they work well for me, even though I could use a shade more on the high end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Says the guy with a treated room and Seaton speakers

It may be you just like a more forward sounding speaker. Good to hear your thoughts though and get some comparison to a much more expensive speaker.
True that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
Some initial impressions of the B6 with 2-ch music:
With the B6, cymbals have less shimmer, air, and decay. The individual cymbal vibrations blend together a bit at times to create more a cymbal “tone” rather than distinct, detailed vibrations. At certain times, acoustic guitar attack and transients seemed flattened or pushed back in the mix. For me, these attributes make the overall presentation less engaging than my Polk LS90. My impressions could be a combination of the B6 tweeter resolution and the overall voicing the high frequencies, as well as my personal preferences and hearing abilities (or lack thereof).

I also own Energy RC-70s (retailed for $2,200), which I also feel are less engaging than the LS90 for similar reasons.

I have a pair of JBL Studio 530 on order (snagged at $420 sale price), which will be an interesting comparison to the B6.
I enjoyed reading your impressions. I am interested in the JBL 530 and the B6, and I have owned the RC-70, so I am looking forward to your comparison of JBL 530 with B6 and RC-70.

Speakers: Boston Acoustics VS260, VS325C
Subwoofers (sealed): Dayton UM18, 2x Infinity 1260 dual opposed + iNuke6000DSP
AVR: Yamaha RX-A2000
post #213 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuxs View Post
I enjoyed reading your impressions. I am interested in the JBL 530 and the B6, and I have owned the RC-70, so I am looking forward to your comparison of JBL 530 with B6 and RC-70.
Just as a factual matter, I've measured the B5's, and the tweeter is dead flat on axis. It doesn't have the usual peak at 14k - 15k that's present with most domes. However, the wave guide does limit lateral dispersion (which is a deliberate design choice), and that's probably what you're hearing when you compare the B5's (and I would assume the B6's) with a lot of other speakers.
jumuo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.hayes0338 View Post
I have to say I somewhat agree, but I don't think it is as bad as this post makes it sound. The highs definitely are not harsh or forward. Right now I have a head cold and can't hear very well, but I can't say that I'm disappointed in the B5's. For a $230 pair of speakers I think they perform very well. I listened to them all day yesterday and never grew tired of them at all. Throughout the day I began to enjoy them more and more. At the end of the day, just different opinions on listening preferences I think. I don't like the highs to be in my face as much so they work well for me, even though I could use a shade more on the high end.
Just out of curiosity, which speakers do you prefer that have the "shade more on the high end" you are comparing them to? Polk, Klipsch etc. Do you prefer horn tweeters to soft dome tweeters? I am curious because I am trying to decide if I would like these. I want crisp highs that are not "in your face" like the horn tweeter used by Klipsch. My musical tastes tend to be stuff like Stevie Ray Vaughan, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and Alan Parson's Project to name a few.

Marantz PM5005 Integrated Amplifier | Marantz CD5005 Compact Disc Player | Music Hall USB-1 Turntable | Audio-Technica AT95E Cartridge
Denon DRW-830 Cassette Tape Player | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers | AudioQuest Evergreen Interconnects
post #215 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3110
Quote:

It may be you just like a more forward sounding speaker. Good to hear your thoughts though and get some comparison to a much more expensive speaker.
LOL. That was my immediate thought as well. I really like hearing people's impressions and enjoyed his comments. Dennis Murphy makes a great point concerning the B5s. At the audio show, I was sitting a bit more off axis than my son and he liked the B5s a bit more than I did … and I liked them a lot for the price.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #216 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I heard the B5's at an audio show and immediately pre-ordered a pair. During the audio show demonstration I asked Andrew Jones what the B6 might offer over the B5 and he said they go a bit lower and I think he said they might sound better at higher volumes.

A pair of B6's arrived Saturday from MusicDirect and they are very enjoyable. I'm particularly impressed by the stage they present for the size.
post #217 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacodutaco View Post
Just out of curiosity, which speakers do you prefer that have the "shade more on the high end" you are comparing them to? Polk, Klipsch etc. Do you prefer horn tweeters to soft dome tweeters? I am curious because I am trying to decide if I would like these. I want crisp highs that are not "in your face" like the horn tweeter used by Klipsch. My musical tastes tend to be stuff like Stevie Ray Vaughan, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and Alan Parson's Project to name a few.
For me, the Klipsch can be too much for my ears after a while. Also, the Infinity Primus line was too much. That being said, I haven't auditioned any of their newer reference line, mostly lower end Klipsch systems. I personally like silk dome tweeters so rolled off highs is what I like. From what I've heard others say, you may want to look at the Ascend CBM-170 SE. I've heard they have a more crisp high end but not harsh. I've also heard some say it is harsh. That would just have to be something you listen to for yourself. I have the EMP Tek R5Bi's on the way to compare to the B5's. If the lows and mids are comparable to the B5's but the high end is more detailed, then I will probably go for the R5Bi's. I'll just have to wait and hear for myself when they arrive.
banyar and dougdabbs like this.
post #218 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I’ll add that I’ve owned (and subsequently sold) speakers that I found to be bright and fatiguing – Polk Rti8 and Athena AS-F2 come to mind.

I can live with a speaker that sounds a bit less energetic in the highs vs. my preference/reference, but a bright and fatiguing speaker has to go!

Per Dennis Murphy’s post above, if the B5’s tweeter response if flat, perhaps some folks (possibly self included) prefer a bit more high frequency energy due to preferences and “hearing curve”. For example, if my 44 year old ears are down a few dB’s in the higher frequencies, perhaps I prefer a speaker that boosts them to a level that I perceive to be balanced and natural-sounding. However, since I find some speakers to be bright and fatiguing, this potential boost has to be within a certain, limited range. This is purely hypothetical, since I do not know my “hearing curve” or the high frequency curves of the other speakers I’ve owned.

The above may speak to tonal balance preferences, but does not necessarily address the resolving power of the tweeter. A flat tweeter frequency response will not necessary be indicative of how resolving a tweeter is, right? What measurements would be indicative of tweeter resolving power? Distortion, spectral decay?

In reality, I would guess that tonal balance and resolving power interact with how we perceive and prefer the high frequencies.
post #219 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 02:39 PM

Regarding the upper range sonics and tweeter, I think the B6's are excellent. However, I am the type of listener who can't handle the performance of a Klipsch; they just wear me out even with appropriate amplification.
post #220 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm a little busted here, but I guess I meant to say that I don't consider myself to have a highly trained ear compared to some other audiophiles I have met.

Seatons aside, the Focal Chorus 806Vs I compared the B5s to in my other listening room are just ever so slightly on the bright side due to their aluminum dome tweeter. I'm sure this influenced my impression of the B5 slightly, but I would still consider the B5s upper range to be very flat/dull/unresolved relative to the usual expectation of a mainstream listener. I am going to try to break the B5s in a little further to see if they brighten up a bit. I will of course report back if that happens.

I do agree with the comments that have been made about the B5s being easy to listen to for long periods of time. Perhaps the lack of a crisp high end contributes to the speakers not fatiguing your ear as much.

I am interested to read about other ELAC owners experiences and side by side comparisons.
dsrussell and mark.hayes0338 like this.
post #221 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’ll add that I’ve owned (and subsequently sold) speakers that I found to be bright and fatiguing – Polk Rti8 and Athena AS-F2 come to mind.

I can live with a speaker that sounds a bit less energetic in the highs vs. my preference/reference, but a bright and fatiguing speaker has to go!

Per Dennis Murphy’s post above, if the B5’s tweeter response if flat, perhaps some folks (possibly self included) prefer a bit more high frequency energy due to preferences and “hearing curve”. For example, if my 44 year old ears are down a few dB’s in the higher frequencies, perhaps I prefer a speaker that boosts them to a level that I perceive to be balanced and natural-sounding. However, since I find some speakers to be bright and fatiguing, this potential boost has to be within a certain, limited range. This is purely hypothetical, since I do not know my “hearing curve” or the high frequency curves of the other speakers I’ve owned.

The above may speak to tonal balance preferences, but does not necessarily address the resolving power of the tweeter. A flat tweeter frequency response will not necessary be indicative of how resolving a tweeter is, right? What measurements would be indicative of tweeter resolving power? Distortion, spectral decay?

In reality, I would guess that tonal balance and resolving power interact with how we perceive and prefer the high frequencies.
Lots of questions, I'm not sure anyone has all of the answers. I can measure the Elac's distortion, but I have a feeling it will be very low. Certainly lower than most ribbons. Spectral decay generally reflects the frequency response--sharp resonant peaks will translate into poor decay. I still think the issue is dispersion, but I can't prove that. As for older ears (and there are none older than mine)needing a boost in the highs in order to sound natural, that doesn't hold up if by "natural" you mean like what you hear from live music. Acoustic live music (not amplified and fed through loudspeakers) isn't boosted in the highs --so you aren't listening to a peak. Why then would you need a peak from your speakers in order for the recording to sound natural to you and your aging ears? Finally, someone equated soft dome tweeters with rolled off highs. That's not true. The vast majority of soft domes show a peak in the 14 -15 khz region, and are going strong on axis to 20 kHz.
post #222 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbusnic View Post
I'm sure this influenced my impression of the B5 slightly, but I would still consider the B5s upper range to be very flat/dull/unresolved relative to the usual expectation of a mainstream listener....Perhaps the lack of a crisp high end contributes to the speakers not fatiguing your ear as much.
I think that's the idea. I'm not sure if you're speaking for yourself when you're talking about the mainstream listener, but I'd be very hard pressed to consider anyone with a treated room to be representative of the mainstream. Personally I think the mainstream listener would prefer the least fatiguing sound as possible, considering the normal bloke spending ~$250 on speakers isn't necessarily going to get caught up in comparing the detail of the high-end to other expensive speakers.

I like ribbon tweeters because they often perfectly walk that line between delivering some of the most detailed sound with the least amount of fatigue. While my ELAC B6's aren't really in the ballpark of more expensive ribbon-tweeter speakers, I'll say they strike a surprisingly nice compromise by delivering decently detailed sounding highs and non-fatiguing sound. I don't particularly sense anything being muted or "absent" when listening to music on it compared to more expensive speakers I've owned. Sure, they don't have the best high's I've heard, but they're absolutely nowhere near the worst and I certainly have no complaints given the price.

Speaking of the price, I'm glad these speakers are cheap. One of my girlfriend's cats had their way with the right side of my right speaker. Thankfully the scratches can only be examined under close observation, with a flashlight. It's unfortunate...but there's not much I can really do. I've never been so lucky to have a girlfriend who doesn't own pets, and I probably never will.
porfi4ever and jumuo like this.

Last edited by t1337Dude; 11-03-2015 at 04:10 PM.
post #223 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loop7 View Post
Regarding the upper range sonics and tweeter, I think the B6's are excellent. However, I am the type of listener who can't handle the performance of a Klipsch; they just wear me out even with appropriate amplification.
Same here...I have tried to enjoy Klipsch and always wanted a nice pair based on their excellent reputation but the sound they produce (high end) is annoying to me and just won't work.

Marantz PM5005 Integrated Amplifier | Marantz CD5005 Compact Disc Player | Music Hall USB-1 Turntable | Audio-Technica AT95E Cartridge
Denon DRW-830 Cassette Tape Player | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers | AudioQuest Evergreen Interconnects
post #224 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone had a chance to compare the ELAC B5 or B6 with a Wharfedale 10.1 or Monitor Audio Bronze 2 or maybe even a Polk RTI4? These are some of the options I have been considering and have been able to listen to all of them except the ELAC's. I would love to use feedback as a point of reference while deciding whether to buy the B5 or B6. I am one of those guys that really hates to buy something in the blind if you know what I mean. Any feedback on these would be greatly appreciated.

post #225 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Finally, someone equated soft dome tweeters with rolled off highs. That's not true. The vast majority of soft domes show a peak in the 14 -15 khz region, and are going strong on axis to 20 kHz.
That's true. I said that and guess some what misspoke. They aren't rolled off but tend to be less harsh from what I have listened to. May not always be the case but it has been for what I've listened to.

I'm going to continue to listen to the B5's and see if they get any better. I have had a head cold since I got them so as that clears up I think the highs will as well

Sent from my Moto X Pure
post #226 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Just as a factual matter, I've measured the B5's, and the tweeter is dead flat on axis. It doesn't have the usual peak at 14k - 15k that's present with most domes. However, the wave guide does limit lateral dispersion (which is a deliberate design choice), and that's probably what you're hearing when you compare the B5's (and I would assume the B6's) with a lot of other speakers.
You're post has me thinking most speakers from popular manufacturers do have some extra energy up top. My primary speakers, Vandersteen, have been criticized as being rolled off when, in fact, they are flat.
post #227 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's true. I said that and guess some what misspoke. They aren't rolled off but tend to be less harsh from what I have listened to. May not always be the case but it has been for what I've listened to.

I'm going to continue to listen to the B5's and see if they get any better. I have had a head cold since I got them so as that clears up I think the highs will as well

Sent from my Moto X Pure
Tweeter harshness is generally more a function of crossover implementation than tweeter dome material. But clear your head first and listen again, and we'll see where you are.
post #228 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Tweeter harshness is generally more a function of crossover implementation than tweeter dome material. But clear your head first and listen again, and we'll see where you are.
Is that so? Didn't know that. Can you expand on that a little for me? I'm just curious for my own learning?

Sent from my Moto X Pure
post #229 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is that so? Didn't know that. Can you expand on that a little for me? I'm just curious for my own learning?

Sent from my Moto X Pure
This is an old debate that I'm sure I won't resolve here. Metal dome tweeters do have a ringing breakup very high up in the treble--generally above 20 kHz. That can be damped out to some degree with the crossover, but the real issue is whether you can hear it in any event. I can't. And as I stated, soft domes also have peaks in the treble. My experience is that if you design the crossover so that the tweeter is pretty flat in the 5 khz - 15 kHz region, you can get excellent results with either metal or fabric dome tweeters. I personally don't have any preference. Ribbon tweeters, due to their very low mass, generally have a rising response in the treble. But that's very easy to correct with the crossover. You just don't want to cross them too low, or you'll end up with very high harmonic distortion.
Transmaniacon likes this.
post #230 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
This is an old debate that I'm sure I won't resolve here. Metal dome tweeters do have a ringing breakup very high up in the treble--generally above 20 kHz. That can be damped out to some degree with the crossover, but the real issue is whether you can hear it in any event. I can't. And as I stated, soft domes also have peaks in the treble. My experience is that if you design the crossover so that the tweeter is pretty flat in the 5 khz - 15 kHz region, you can get excellent results with either metal or fabric dome tweeters. I personally don't have any preference. Ribbon tweeters, due to their very low mass, generally have a rising response in the treble. But that's very easy to correct with the crossover. You just don't want to cross them too low, or you'll end up with very high harmonic distortion.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. No debating here. I just enjoy learning from the pro's!

Sent from my Moto X Pure
post #231 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
As for older ears (and there are none older than mine)needing a boost in the highs in order to sound natural, that doesn't hold up if by "natural" you mean like what you hear from live music. Acoustic live music (not amplified and fed through loudspeakers) isn't boosted in the highs --so you aren't listening to a peak. Why then would you need a peak from your speakers in order for the recording to sound natural to you and your aging ears?
Dennis, I'll try to clarify. By "natural", I was not referring to a comparison to a live performance. I was referring to how a speaker sounds with a familiar recording. "Rightness" is probably a better word. For example, if cymbals on a familiar recording have less shimmer/decay/detail and seem to be pushed back in the mix on one set of speakers vs. a reference, they can sound less "right", and lacking in that regard. This is totally subjective because none of us were present at the recording, and folks hear differently (some hearing differences could be due to high frequency hearing loss with age).

All-in-all, I think the B6 are a nice value and are a great option for the vast majority of folks. For the minority - those who have listened critically to many speakers - the B6 may or not be your cup of tea, but that's true with any speaker, regardless of cost.
post #232 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dennis, I'll try to clarify. By "natural", I was not referring to a comparison to a live performance. I was referring to how a speaker sounds with a familiar recording. "Rightness" is probably a better word. For example, if cymbals on a familiar recording have less shimmer/decay/detail and seem to be pushed back in the mix on one set of speakers vs. a reference, they can sound less "right", and lacking in that regard. This is totally subjective because none of us were present at the recording, and folks hear differently (some hearing differences could be due to high frequency hearing loss with age).

All-in-all, I think the B6 are a nice value and are a great option for the vast majority of folks. For the minority - those who have listened critically to many speakers - the B6 may or not be your cup of tea, but that's true with any speaker, regardless of cost.
But you're not specifying any objective standard for what "rightness" is. If it's just what some other speakers sound like on a familiar recording, then who's to say which is "right"--the ELAC's or the possibly flawed "reference" speaker you've been listening to? A speaker should reproduce whatever degree of shimmer, decay, and detail is on the recording, and ultimately what you would hear in a live performance if the recording is capturing that. That's the standard. I'm not saying the Elac's are "right." Or that what you're used to is "wrong." And I agree that there will always be a high degree of subjectivity in any of our opinions. But ultimately the correct reference is live sound, not another speaker you've grown accustomed to.

All that said, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your characterization of the ELAC's. They follow a certain design philosophy, and I'm not sure it's the one I think creates the most life-like sound. But I do realize that this is a very complicated, unresolved area of speaker design.
Muza, Transmaniacon and jumuo like this.
post #233 of 2570 Old 11-03-2015, 11:12 PM

After reading and posting in this thread, I spent the evening listening to tracks with which I'm very familiar. I am changing my story and I do think the B6's lack important top end.

I'm over sensitive to bright speakers, specifically upper midrange, so ELAC excels in keeping that fatigue component at bay but cymbal detail and decay lackluster may be a deal breaker. Since I bought from the great people at MusicDirect, I can return them if needed.

Can high frequency capability change as aspeaker runs in?
post #234 of 2570 Old 11-04-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by loop7 View Post
After reading and posting in this thread, I spent the evening listening to tracks with which I'm very familiar. I am changing my story and I do think the B6's lack important top end.

I'm over sensitive to bright speakers, specifically upper midrange, so ELAC excels in keeping that fatigue component at bay but cymbal detail and decay lackluster may be a deal breaker. Since I bought from the great people at MusicDirect, I can return them if needed.

Can high frequency capability change as aspeaker runs in?
I am over sensitive to bright speakers as well, and I am use to using much higher end speakers in my main room like Dynaudio and Magnepan/KEF/PMC etc... Every speaker doesn't do everything right, so anyone can get caught up on one thing when it comes to a speaker and find a reason not too like them. I am finding out more reasons to like these and not dislike them, its all personal taste and opinion on here and cymbal detail just doesn't rank that high on my list to give these up! lol I am comparing them too KEF LS50/Dynaudio Contour 1.3MKII and a few others and they do compare in many ways, sure they lack the micro-detail some of the other speakers have, they do voices very well and the Piano is spot on. I don't think this speakers are bright at all, my opinion of course. These speaker sound so much better than anything in their price range and much further up the food chain.. I most likely will get another pair of KEF LS50 as they seem to do the most right when it comes to listening to music to "my ears", and that's what counts. These speakers for there price do so much right, especially at the price point given! There is a reason at shows that they play selective well recorded music... Some suggestions for testing, which I used...

Joel Grare Grace: Paris-Istanbul-Shanghi "Good acoustic music with very detailed instruments"
Agnes Obel - Great voices and Piano
Diane Birch - Via AudioTree Live Great vocals and Piano
Grace Potter - Great Vocals
Brian Bromberg - Great Acoustical Guitar
Audiophile Voices - Recordings
Anges Obel - Great voice and piano hauntingly good.
Heart "The Road Home" very well recorded.
London Grammar - Used as a test CD for most shows, very well recorded and some nice use of bass etc..
Throw in some Boston and Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler/Led Zeppelin

A answer to your last question, yes most likely, slightly but will your ears actually hear the difference is highly debatable topic. http://thestateofsound.net/2014/02/0...-new-speakers/ this is just a blog, but it does have some decent information in it. If your using tracks that are familiar to you there is a chance you will notice a difference.
dsrussell likes this.

Last edited by Garman; 11-04-2015 at 10:30 AM.
post #235 of 2570 Old 11-04-2015, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
I am finding out more reasons to like these and not dislike them, its all personal taste and opinion on here and cymbal detail just doesn't rank that high on my list to give these up! lol I am comparing them too KEF LS50/Dynaudio Contour 1.3MKII and a few others and they do compare in many ways, sure they lack the micro-detail some of the other speakers have, they do voices very well and the Piano is spot on. I don't think this speakers are bright at all, my opinion of course. These speaker sound so much better than anything in their price range and much further up the food chain..
would you (and any others who wish to chime in ) say that the ELAC bookshelf models are a step up from my trusty Cambridge S30s?

gonna keep my S30s, maybe for the bedroom (I'll find somewhere to put them). but I'm "wanting more" for my music/HT system in my den, and Christmas is coming up.

the other speaker I'm considering is Focal 706v, the old model on closeout from AC4L. I heard those years ago when auditioning BMW and Paradigm, and liked them better than the old 685s (I ended up with Studio 40v4).

TIA
post #236 of 2570 Old 11-04-2015, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsky View Post
would you (and any others who wish to chime in ) say that the ELAC bookshelf models are a step up from my trusty Cambridge S30s?

gonna keep my S30s, maybe for the bedroom (I'll find somewhere to put them). but I'm "wanting more" for my music/HT system in my den, and Christmas is coming up.

the other speaker I'm considering is Focal 706v, the old model on closeout from AC4L. I heard those years ago when auditioning BMW and Paradigm, and liked them better than the old 685s (I ended up with Studio 40v4).

TIA
drumsky: All depends the best way is to try the Elac out and compare them, I think they do justice to most of the music I listen too, are they the best Monitor I have hear? No, are they one of the better monitors in a price point of $1000 or less, I would say yes. All speakers have flaws to some one, all depends on personal taste etc. I thought I was a fan of Martion Logan Motion series, but after comparing them to other speakers I like, I can say I find them bright and harsh and hard to listen too, the same goes with Klipsch speakers, just not my flavor of the day.

This is a short list of speakers I like:

Dynaudio
Magnepan
PMC
Scansonic
KEF
PSB
Elac
Joseph Audio
Golden Ear

Last edited by Garman; 11-04-2015 at 04:23 PM.
post #237 of 2570 Old 11-04-2015, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
I am over sensitive to bright speakers as well, and I am use to using much higher end speakers in my main room like Dynaudio and Magnepan/KEF/PMC etc... Every speaker doesn't do everything right, so anyone can get caught up on one thing when it comes to a speaker and find a reason not too like them. I am finding out more reasons to like these and not dislike them, its all personal taste and opinion on here and cymbal detail just doesn't rank that high on my list to give these up! lol I am comparing them too KEF LS50/Dynaudio Contour 1.3MKII and a few others and they do compare in many ways, sure they lack the micro-detail some of the other speakers have, they do voices very well and the Piano is spot on. I don't think this speakers are bright at all, my opinion of course. These speaker sound so much better than anything in their price range and much further up the food chain.. I most likely will get another pair of KEF LS50 as they seem to do the most right when it comes to listening to music to "my ears", and that's what counts. These speakers for there price do so much right, especially at the price point given! There is a reason at shows that they play selective well recorded music... Some suggestions for testing, which I used...
I currently have LS50s paired with a Rythmik FV15HP sub. Would a pair of B5/B6s be fine for surrounds? What about a the ELAC center--I'm a bit reluctant to shell out the cash for an Q600c or an R200c.
post #238 of 2570 Old 11-04-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontog View Post
I currently have LS50s paired with a Rythmik FV15HP sub. Would a pair of B5/B6s be fine for surrounds? What about a the ELAC center--I'm a bit reluctant to shell out the cash for an Q600c or an R200c.
So envious you have a pair of LS50's. I only heard the B5's and B6's (mine) but with Andrew Jones' past center channels at Pioneer, I imagine the ELAC center is very good.
post #239 of 2570 Old 11-04-2015, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontog View Post
http://www.amazon.com/KEF-Q100B-Book...47C7Y6RW9QXX0C

Personally if I had KEFs I would use these! They use similar driver technology as the LS50 and would mate better, the 3 front speakers are the most critical. I love the value of the Elac and I would love to replace my Martin Logan system at our Lake House with them, as I tend to find the motion series too bright. I like the KEF LS50 so much, I might buy another pair down the road, as I sold my last pair off, I am liking the different finishes they have now...
post #240 of 2570 Old 11-04-2015, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I found another review of the ELAC Debut B5 speakers here:

http://noaudiophile.com/ELAC_B5/

It seems to say some of what other owners are saying in this thread.
Garman likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
debut f5 , elac , SA-XR55

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page