Desktop speaker suggestions! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-20-2015, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Desktop speaker suggestions!

I would like some speaker suggestions to pair with a Yamaha RX-V379 receiver and an Energy Power 10 sub. Bookshelf speakers are ok too but nothing too expensive, however, I do want the best accurate sound I can afford ($100-150) I guess I want the speaker equivalent of the Shure 440 or Sony V6 headphones

Thanks Guys!

Last edited by Evildude; 10-20-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-20-2015, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the Klipsch pro media 2.1 sound very good
post #3 of 13 Old 10-20-2015, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've read several places that these are excellent Desktop speakers/Surround speakers:
http://emptek.com/e3b.php
Emptek E3B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-20-2015, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Pioneer BS22 is a great bang for the buck option. You could also consider the Micca MB42X if you want something a little cheaper. Looking for a used speaker could be a good option here as well. If you post your local Craigslist, we can browse through for anything that stands out.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Schiit SYS | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #5 of 13 Old 10-20-2015, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Also if you look on Ebay - NHT Super Zero 2.1 you might find open box or lightly used for $150 for the pair. Electronics Expo has open box for $76 each includes shipping.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-20-2015, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys, I'll check on them as soon as I get out of math class (damn algebra )
post #7 of 13 Old 10-26-2015, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

What type of frequency response do I need to look for in order to get a speaker that sounds open and clear with balanced mids and highs?
post #8 of 13 Old 10-26-2015, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
If you can stretch your budget to around 200, the Affordable accuracy II speaker at Philharmonics might be the best speaker you can get w/o breaking the bank. If I were going with EMPtek, I would spend the cash to get the e5Bi (225/pr) as those are more than capable of hitting below 80 hz, making crossover with a sub more seemless.
Otherwise, as suggested, try craiglist/ebay for some gently used speakers.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
post #9 of 13 Old 10-26-2015, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Otherwise, as suggested, try craiglist/ebay for some gently used speakers.
I'm trying but unfortunately I have never gotten the real chance to audition a decent set of speakers. My point is that I don't know what certain brands sound like other than Pioneer Andrew Jones' series or Sony. I kind of like Klipsch but I'm scared than eventually those highs will become imperceptible as I get older.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-27-2015, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
If you can stretch your budget to around 200, the Affordable accuracy II speaker at Philharmonics might be the best speaker you can get w/o breaking the bank.
So they basically get other speakers and tweak their crossovers in order to make them sound better? I wish they were still make them using the Andrew Jones' cabinets, they looked better IMO.
I think I'm definitely waiting a couple more weeks in order to get these. The frequency response looks impressive, however, I still have some questions:

1. Will my aforementioned avr be able to drive them without any problems?
2. Am I to assume based on the specs that the will sound open, airy and clear?

Thanks again for the suggestion.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-27-2015, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildude View Post
So they basically get other speakers and tweak their crossovers in order to make them sound better? I wish they were still make them using the Andrew Jones' cabinets, they looked better IMO.
I think I'm definitely waiting a couple more weeks in order to get these. The frequency response looks impressive, however, I still have some questions:

1. Will my aforementioned avr be able to drive them without any problems?
2. Am I to assume based on the specs that the will sound open, airy and clear?

Thanks again for the suggestion.
Your receiver would be more than adequate for driving those speakers. As for the sound, they're the clearest, fullest, and most accurate sounding speakers I've heard for the money. Been using them for the last month and I think they offer a very balanced sound signature. There might be some speakers out there that offer a smoother, more rich sounding high-end at the price (like the Energy RC-Mini's which I bought for $240/pr), but the Affordable Accuracy Monitors offer significantly more bass which make it much more versatile if you don't plan to use a sub.

Haven't heard too many other speakers around $200, but they sound leagues better than any Logitech or PC-oriented active sound system I've ever heard
post #12 of 13 Old 10-27-2015, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1337Dude View Post
Your receiver would be more than adequate for driving those speakers. As for the sound, they're the clearest, fullest, and most accurate sounding speakers I've heard for the money. Been using them for the last month and I think they offer a very balanced sound signature. There might be some speakers out there that offer a smoother, more rich sounding high-end at the price (like the Energy RC-Mini's which I bought for $240/pr), but the Affordable Accuracy Monitors offer significantly more bass which make it much more versatile if you don't plan to use a sub.

Haven't heard too many other speakers around $200, but they sound leagues better than any Logitech or PC-oriented active sound system I've ever heard
What crossover setting should I use with this speakers, 65?
post #13 of 13 Old 10-28-2015, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I'm going to make another suggestion for finding something on EBay. I suggest looking for some older Boston Acoustics speakers. I don't know what the other speakers suggested sound like, but the Bostons would fit exactly what you are looking for, especially if you go for one of their bigger bookshelves. Even their biggest bookshelf in their Compact Reference Series (the CR9) can be had for under $200. For your budget, I would recommend (from the best down) 1. CR8 / 85, 2. CR7 / CR75, or 3. CR6 / CR65 / CR67. I've bought 3 pairs of CR8s or CR85s (the numbers added to the end are for the updated newer models) for under $140 a pair. I can tell you all of these speakers give a crystal-clear reference-quality (accurate) sound with good low end. Additionally, they pair well with Yamaha receivers and with your sub (I have a similar Mirage). That's what I recommend.

7.1 Setup: Yamaha RX-V671, Boston Acoustics VR40 (Mains), VR12 (Center), CR8 (Surrounds), CR8 (Rear Surrounds), Mirage Omni S10
Second 7.1 Setup: Yamaha RX-V663/Kenwood KR-5030 (Stereo), Boston Acoustics VR20 (Mains), VR10 (Center), CR6 (Surrounds), CRC (Rear Surrounds), Klipsch Sub12HG
2.1 Setup: Nakamichi RE-2, Boston Acoustics VR40 and Mirage Omni S10 (shared with 7.1), Emotiva XDA-1, and Pioneer, Kenwood, dbx, Luxman, Burwen, and JVC vintage equipment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page