Are Front Height Speakers OK use as Atmos speakers? - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 92Likes

post #391 of 401 Old 10-15-2019, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudogp250 View Post
Thank you for posting this. I am in the process of a basement remodel and cannot decide on where to place my ceiling speakers.
If you're only going to do two overhead, I'd go with top middle or whatever set would be above your main listening position as you'll get the most overhead effect. If you're going to do four, then either front/rear heights or tops and it will phantom image overhead when needed (unless your room is too long, in which case you either space them around the listening area (ahead of and behind) or go to six overheads. With six, there's nothing to decide, really other than height versus tops for front/rear. I'd go heights with six speakers as I think you get more connection to the screen itself (tops sit 1/3 out into the room whereas heights can be above or above and just in front of the screen by comparison).

That's basically what I use with six overheads (front/rear heights plus top middle/surround height as my "top middle" are in the surround height position on the top of the side wall instead, but in my narrow room that's only 2.5' outward from the top middle location and at least with the processor set to "heights" I can't really hear the deviation. I can hear the deviation somewhat with it set to 'tops' so I assume heights blend differently with the lower speakers somehow enough to phantom inward slightly). Since there's very little Auro-3D material out there (e.g. I only have ten movies and a demo disc in Auro-3D compared to 35 with DTS:X and 70 with Atmos [more with streaming Atmos]), I wouldn't worry about it unless your room presents a problem like mine does with a steel beam box in the way for true top middle) and go with a regular Atmos alignment (straight line back rather than surround heights outward above the side surrounds).

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 11-01-19)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 401 Old 10-15-2019, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
If you're only going to do two overhead, I'd go with top middle or whatever set would be above your main listening position as you'll get the most overhead effect. If you're going to do four, then either front/rear heights or tops and it will phantom image overhead when needed (unless your room is too long, in which case you either space them around the listening area (ahead of and behind) or go to six overheads. With six, there's nothing to decide, really other than height versus tops for front/rear. I'd go heights with six speakers as I think you get more connection to the screen itself (tops sit 1/3 out into the room whereas heights can be above or above and just in front of the screen by comparison).

That's basically what I use with six overheads (front/rear heights plus top middle/surround height as my "top middle" are in the surround height position on the top of the side wall instead, but in my narrow room that's only 2.5' outward from the top middle location and at least with the processor set to "heights" I can't really hear the deviation. I can hear the deviation somewhat with it set to 'tops' so I assume heights blend differently with the lower speakers somehow enough to phantom inward slightly). Since there's very little Auro-3D material out there (e.g. I only have ten movies and a demo disc in Auro-3D compared to 35 with DTS:X and 70 with Atmos [more with streaming Atmos]), I wouldn't worry about it unless your room presents a problem like mine does with a steel beam box in the way for true top middle) and go with a regular Atmos alignment (straight line back rather than surround heights outward above the side surrounds).
What do you think about mounting the fronts directly to the ceiling? Attached is my future layout. The room will be 16.7 x 15ft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 12.08.23 AM.png
Views:	36
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	2628294  
post #393 of 401 Old 10-16-2019, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What do you think about mounting the fronts directly to the ceiling? Attached is my future layout. The room will be 16.7 x 15ft.
There's nothing wrong with putting the Atmos speakers on the ceiling. Are you planning on doing 7.2.2 or 7.2.4?
loudogp250 likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 11-01-19)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 401 Old 10-16-2019, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumx View Post
there's nothing wrong with putting the atmos speakers on the ceiling. Are you planning on doing 7.2.2 or 7.2.4?
post #395 of 401 Old 10-16-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'd go for 45 degree angles from the main listening seat above the main speakers (or rears; I'd pick one and do a straight line).
loudogp250 likes this.

post #396 of 401 Old 10-16-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Quote:

I have a small space (13'4 x 12'8) and I have my atmos setup as front height / rear height and all on the ceiling. I do like the way it sounds though it did take a little time to determine the best angle for the front heights. I also toed them in toward the MLP, but I don't point them directly at the MLP, more like toward my knees when seated (for the fronts) and toward the middle of the outside seats (for the rears).
loudogp250 likes this.
post #397 of 401 Old 10-21-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
So I've been testing and comparing Dolby Fronts (Up-fires), Front Heights, Front Heights set as Top Fronts and Front Heights set as Top Middles. Setting the Front Heights as Top Middles resulted in an odd sound stage but making them Top Fronts resulted in a more robust and immersive sound presence than the normal Front Heights or the Dolby Up-firing speakers. I have one of the Dolby Atmos demo discs and the Amaze clip really shows off that process. With the Top Fronts I got more of a sense of overhead sound than I did with the other speakers or settings. It's clearly not as good as ceiling speakers but for what it is, it's decent.

I moved some speakers/subs around and re-ran Audyssey. Based on this info you provided in a previous post about your testing, I decided to experiment with changing my rear atmos speaker configuration, since they are only a few feet behind me as opposed to my front atmos speakers, which are about 9 feet forward of my position. I have been running in a front height / rear height setup for a good while now, but this time I set my amp assignment for height channels to Front Height / Top Rears, and after completing the Audyssey calibration and bumping up my atmos speakers a few db's, I have to say, I like it a lot better setup this way. Not sure why it sounds different, but it definitely does.
post #398 of 401 Old 10-27-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
I moved some speakers/subs around and re-ran Audyssey. Based on this info you provided in a previous post about your testing, I decided to experiment with changing my rear atmos speaker configuration, since they are only a few feet behind me as opposed to my front atmos speakers, which are about 9 feet forward of my position. I have been running in a front height / rear height setup for a good while now, but this time I set my amp assignment for height channels to Front Height / Top Rears, and after completing the Audyssey calibration and bumping up my atmos speakers a few db's, I have to say, I like it a lot better setup this way. Not sure why it sounds different, but it definitely does.
I got a pair of SVS Prime Elevations to use as my front height speakers. it was a hassle but I finally got them mounted just below the ceiling. I'll put them though paces over the next few days to see what they can do.
post #399 of 401 Old 10-28-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched some scenes from several Atmos movies yesterday. While the SVS Elevations used as front heights did add some sense of overhead sound, what was more noticeable was how much more open and immersive it was. At the suggestion of some folks here on AVS, I set the Elevations to run 4.5/5 dbs hotter than Audessey had set them. That resulted in a significant improvement in how they sounded. The first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, with it's brutal Omaha Beach landing sequence, was very impressive with battle sounds coming from all directions. The last movie that I looked at was Silverado with its brilliant music score. It has a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 soundtrack which DSU took out to my 5.1.2 system. When a full orchestral part of the score played in a scene it was pretty startling. The music completely filled my living room and was very dynamic. It was terrific. I would consider getting another pair of Elevations to use as rear heights but my couch is close to the back wall so how feasible that would be I'm not sure. By all accounts a 5.1.4 system with Elevations is supposed to be outstanding. I'll probably call the SVS guys and ask them about it.
post #400 of 401 Old 10-29-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think the couch proximity to the rear wall would hurt it much to have rear overheads. Whether they're set to be top middle or rear top or even rear height, its still going to be better with than without. Right overhead or close to it is the best place IMO for only two overhead speakers so having that plus front heights should be quite nice.

post #401 of 401 Old 10-30-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
I don't think the couch proximity to the rear wall would hurt it much to have rear overheads. Whether they're set to be top middle or rear top or even rear height, its still going to be better with than without. Right overhead or close to it is the best place IMO for only two overhead speakers so having that plus front heights should be quite nice.
I did speak to one of the SVS guys today about getting another pair of Elevations to use in a 5.1.4 setup with the couch close to the back wall. He felt that keeping the current elevations as front heights and mounting the new Elevations high on the back wall (while lowering my surround speakers a bit) and configuring them as Top Middles would give me a very immersive bubble of sound. Sounded pretty good to me. I'd have to get additional speaker wires run from the back to the front wall via the attic space. I'll go with the front heights for a while before jumping off on the extra speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page