Are Front Height Speakers OK use as Atmos speakers? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #31 of 369 Old 11-21-2016, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Glad I stumbled upon this thread.
I'm thinking of adding front heights because frankly I don't feel like putting in ceiling speakers.
Current setup is as follows:
Denon x6200w
Outlaw 5000 running bed layer
Denon running rear surrounds
Two Psa subs
Mains: Def Tech sm55's
Center: Def Tech Pc2000
Surrounds: Def Tech 8040bp's
Rear surrounds: Def Tech pm1000's

I have a spare pair of Def Tech pm800's laying around and was thinking of using them for front heights. My question is should i swap those smaller 800's to rear surround duty and use the 1000's for the front heights, or just use the 800's?

Would it make any noticeable difference either way?
Pic of where I will mount them. Excuse poor lighting etc lol

Pm1000's in current location
As a DefTech person I can say that I think you will notice a difference and should swap them, even when comparing the Overhead layer to the Bed Layer, in general I would always try and use my better speaker in the more forward positions, simply because of the way human hearing works and we are much more likely to hear subtle differences in front or to the side of us than behind us.
blatz8 and subacabra like this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 369 Old 11-21-2016, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked: 4477
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
As a DefTech person I can say that I think you will notice a difference and should swap them, even when comparing the Overhead layer to the Bed Layer, in general I would always try and use my better speaker in the more forward positions, simply because of the way human hearing works and we are much more likely to hear subtle differences in front or to the side of us than behind us.
Thank you kind sir, easy enough to do so I'll go with that
post #33 of 369 Old 11-22-2016, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked: 4477
Ok, so I'll be installing the front heights tomorrow. Quick question, when watching a movie with native atmos, do you prefer the Neural:X upmixing or atmos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 369 Old 12-21-2016, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked: 695
bumping this thread...

i currently have a denon x3300 and a 5.1 setup. i am planning to buy 2 bookshelf speakers and set them as freight height (only place i can put additional speakers since the living room is a 20+ ft. vaulted ceiling). will my existing 5.1 plus the 2 height speakers roughly 3-4 ft above the front towers be sufficient to gain additional use of the last 2 channels on my AVR?
post #35 of 369 Old 12-21-2016, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
bumping this thread...

i currently have a denon x3300 and a 5.1 setup. i am planning to buy 2 bookshelf speakers and set them as freight height (only place i can put additional speakers since the living room is a 20+ ft. vaulted ceiling). will my existing 5.1 plus the 2 height speakers roughly 3-4 ft above the front towers be sufficient to gain additional use of the last 2 channels on my AVR?
I'm in the same boat. Although I was looking to install the front heights closer to the ceiling (not vaulted). My front heights would be around 36-48" higher than my L/R's. My receiver only supports two atmos speakers, so I would only be able to run the fronts.

Equipment - Silverticket 100" - BenQ HT2050 - Denon X4300H - Pioneer BDP-150 - HTPC, Xbox One X - Sennheiser RS170 Headphones - APC C25B Power Filter
Speakers 5.2.4 - SVS Prime Center, Bookshelves, Satellites, 2x PB-2000, Micca R-8C (Atmos)
HTPC - Intel Core i3-3220, 8GB DDR3 1600, 1050ti 4GB, 7TB of HDD's, LG Bluray
post #36 of 369 Old 12-21-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
bumping this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfrog View Post
I'm in the same boat. Although I was looking to install the front heights closer to the ceiling (not vaulted). My front heights would be around 36-48" higher than my L/R's. My receiver only supports two atmos speakers, so I would only be able to run the fronts.

While only having 9' ceilings, I felt like having front heights was an improvement (I'm thinking the effect with a vaulted ceiling would be even more noticeable).
And then going from PLIIZ w/heights to Atmos with FH, and the same exact locations, was another step up from there, if for nothing else than the more discrete nature of Atmos and object placement.

When talking about using Heights only, the normal suggestion for a x.x.2 setup, would be use them as TM placed in the side wall, at ceiling height, within the plane of the TM angles.

But honestly, it's going to depend a lot on the content, while Side Wall (TM) placement will give you a better feeling of overall space and overhead effect, FH mounting will give you a more discrete placement of sounds that pan with the entire scope of the screen, up, down, across and diagonally. It may simply be a case of, if you can, experiment with both, before permanent mounting.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 12-21-2016 at 01:03 PM.
post #37 of 369 Old 12-21-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
While only having 9' ceilings, I felt like having front heights was an improvement (I'm thinking the effect with a vaulted ceiling would be even more noticeable).
And then going from PLIIZ w/heights to Atmos with FH, and the same exact locations, was another step up from there, if for nothing else than the more discrete nature of Atmos and object placement.

When talking about using Heights only, the normal suggestion for a x.x.2 setup, would be use them as TM placed in the side wall, at ceiling height, within the plane of the TM angles.

But honestly, it's going to depend a lot on the content, while Side Wall (TM) placement will give you a better feeling of overall space and overhead effect, FH mounting will give you a more discrete placement of sounds that pan with the entire scope of the screen, up, down, across and diagonally. It may simply be a case of, if you can, experiment with both, before permanent mounting.
cool, i'll give it a shot, if i was crazy and wanted to do side mounting it would take more effort to wire cables, etc. for non-Atmos, i assume my x3300 can take standard 5.1 DD from Directv broadcasts and simulate atmos, or at least a PLII to make use of front height?
post #38 of 369 Old 12-21-2016, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
cool, i'll give it a shot, if i was crazy and wanted to do side mounting it would take more effort to wire cables, etc. for non-Atmos, i assume my x3300 can take standard 5.1 DD from Directv broadcasts and simulate atmos, or at least a PLII to make use of front height?
I'm not familiar with the x3300, but yes, if it's not Atmos capable then it should have PLIIZ w/Heights, if it is Atmos or DTS-X capable, their upmixers will make use of those speakers with non Atmos/DTS-X content.

My Build Thread:
post #39 of 369 Old 12-21-2016, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

My current setup could not use side placement height speakers. That is unless they are only around a foot in front of my surrounds and angled toward the middle of the room or my MLP. I think front heights would overall work better as I typically mix everything up using Neural X.

Equipment - Silverticket 100" - BenQ HT2050 - Denon X4300H - Pioneer BDP-150 - HTPC, Xbox One X - Sennheiser RS170 Headphones - APC C25B Power Filter
Speakers 5.2.4 - SVS Prime Center, Bookshelves, Satellites, 2x PB-2000, Micca R-8C (Atmos)
HTPC - Intel Core i3-3220, 8GB DDR3 1600, 1050ti 4GB, 7TB of HDD's, LG Bluray
post #40 of 369 Old 12-23-2016, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Tagging for future reference/questions. So glad I found this thread, as I've been trying to decide just how I'm going to install additional speakers to take advantage of Atmos/DTS-X on my new Marantz SR7010. Was going to start with Atmos add-on up-firing speakers, but after reading this thread, I'm going with front (and eventually rear) heights. I currently have a 7.1 setup. Until I get a separate 2-channel amp in order to run 11 speakers, would it be better to run 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 with my existing 9-channel AVR?
post #41 of 369 Old 12-23-2016, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricshoe8 View Post
Tagging for future reference/questions. So glad I found this thread, as I've been trying to decide just how I'm going to install additional speakers to take advantage of Atmos/DTS-X on my new Marantz SR7010. Was going to start with Atmos add-on up-firing speakers, but after reading this thread, I'm going with front (and eventually rear) heights. I currently have a 7.1 setup. Until I get a separate 2-channel amp in order to run 11 speakers, would it be better to run 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 with my existing 9-channel AVR?
If you're going to end up with x.x.4, I would start with 5.1.4, while 4 overheads is usually always preferred over 2, it's esp. so with Height speakers.
And even more so with the approved FH/RH combo. You need the 4 to fill in the overhead center area above you.
That, and the overheads actually get used more than the rears in most situations.
Lippertize likes this.

My Build Thread:
post #42 of 369 Old 12-23-2016, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 70
didn't realize height speakers near the ceiling would actually work enough. i have vaulted ceilings and i have only one prime spot for atmos. 2 feet behind the listening position and 6 feet straight up on the ceiling beam. front speakers for atmos is a bit tricky. i have only four feet of space above my front towers which i don't think is optimal since they'd be way too low compared to the ones above the head on the beam. my question is this.

would it work having atmos in a 50/50 manner? two above the couch but slightly behind and two speakers mounted a few feet ahead five feet up near the ceiling? i think it would sound weird but not sure. i have four JBL S36 wall mountable three way speakers.
fgsouza likes this.

Pioneer Elite SC-05/SC-25
JBL Studio speakers - both rooms
PSA V1800, 3 MFW-15's, ported UM18-22
BenQ W7500, Oppo 103s, ST 16:9 110" white
Benq HT2050 2nd system-96" Carls Flexigray
post #43 of 369 Old 12-23-2016, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormInfested View Post
didn't realize height speakers near the ceiling would actually work enough. i have vaulted ceilings and i have only one prime spot for atmos. 2 feet behind the listening position and 6 feet straight up on the ceiling beam. front speakers for atmos is a bit tricky. i have only four feet of space above my front towers which i don't think is optimal since they'd be way too low compared to the ones above the head on the beam. my question is this.

would it work having atmos in a 50/50 manner? two above the couch but slightly behind and two speakers mounted a few feet ahead five feet up near the ceiling? i think it would sound weird but not sure. i have four JBL S36 wall mountable three way speakers.
I'm picturing a been that runs from side wall -to- side wall, over the top of you but slightly behind your seats, correct?
And
Which configuration can your receiver do, x.x.4 or x.x.2?

My Build Thread:
post #44 of 369 Old 12-31-2016, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have read a few other threads and i still am a bit confused so any help would be appreciated.
I have a Denon AVR X1300 Definitive tech 600 series 5.1 HT speakers and an X Box one S and a SAMSUNG KS8000 TV.

As some one else asked and I did not see the answer...
with two speaker positions left on the Denon, the front height speakers are basically my only option.

would two additional definitive 600 series book shelf speakers identical to what i have now work as the atmos enabled speakers or would some one be so kind as to point me to a pair of small book shelve speakers that are atmos enabled that will do the trick?
post #45 of 369 Old 12-31-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburtyboy View Post
I have read a few other threads and i still am a bit confused so any help would be appreciated.
I have a Denon AVR X1300 Definitive tech 600 series 5.1 HT speakers and an X Box one S and a SAMSUNG KS8000 TV.

As some one else asked and I did not see the answer...
with two speaker positions left on the Denon, the front height speakers are basically my only option.

would two additional definitive 600 series book shelf speakers identical to what i have now work as the atmos enabled speakers or would some one be so kind as to point me to a pair of small book shelve speakers that are atmos enabled that will do the trick?
First off don't confuse Atmos enabled speakers with Height or Overhead(top) speakers, they are different.

Atmos enabled speakers are strictly the upfiring speakers that are either modules that sit on top of the speaker or are built into the top of a speaker to give you reflected sound off the ceiling.
Heights and Tops are separate individual speakers that mount either high on the wall or in/on ceiling for direct sound.

As far as Height speakers, yes another pair of 600's would work just fine. I personally believe that you should do your best to match your or come close to matching your surrounds if you can, when it comes to Heights or Tops.
sddp and blatz8 like this.

My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 12-31-2016 at 12:35 PM.
post #46 of 369 Old 12-31-2016, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks.
So Denon tell me the 600's are atmos enabled due to the up firing speakers .
Another set of duplcate bookshelves will give me the opportunity to set up the Denon as truly atmos then?
post #47 of 369 Old 12-31-2016, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburtyboy View Post
Thanks.
So Denon tell me the 600's are atmos enabled due to the up firing speakers .
Another set of duplcate bookshelves will give me the opportunity to set up the Denon as truly atmos then?
The first part of this post is confusing, my guess is that what your seeing is the Denon, "asking" you if the 600 are Atmos enabled, which they are not, they're just regular speakers.

And yes, another pair of 600's will allow you to set up the x1300w as 5.1.2 with either Front Heights (mounted on the front wall, above your mains, at ceiling height) or Top Middles (mounted on the side walls, at ceiling height, between 75-110° from your seat)
sddp likes this.

My Build Thread:
post #48 of 369 Old 12-31-2016, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I believe that Atmos speakers have built in circuits that give a boost to frequencies near 7.2khz followed by a notch. This is also included in the Atmos signal on a bluray disk. So their will probably be a slight difference using non-Atmos speakers to process an Atmos BluRay.

Panasonic TCP65VT60, Denon AVR-x6200w
Oppo UDP-203, Dish VIP722
NHT C4 front speakers, NHT C LCR center spkr
NHT Classic 3 surrounds
Velodyne Optimum 12 & DLS-5000R subs
post #49 of 369 Old 12-31-2016, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswierenga View Post
I believe that Atmos speakers have built in circuits that give a boost to frequencies near 7.2khz followed by a notch. This is also included in the Atmos signal on a bluray disk. So their will probably be a slight difference using non-Atmos speakers to process an Atmos BluRay.
Here's what that is about,
Officially licensed Dolby enabled speakers and upfiring modules are built to a certain spec, which includes a crossover that frequency limits the signal to aid in the reflection of the sound. That same limitation is placed on the signal itself when the Dolby enabled setting is used in your AVR for that channel.
Also the Dolby enabled setting uses a different algorithm than the normal one for that upper channel.
There is no limitation in the sound on the disc at all, all channels get a full range signal on it.

My Build Thread:
post #50 of 369 Old 01-04-2017, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
There is such a lack of information on google about this topic.

Im in england, im using a 7.1 set up with heights ..mainly I use Dolby PLIIz 7.1 with front heights.

i found it so much better than usual 5.1 due to the greater depth..

Now, here is my sito,,, my speakers are good enough, IM changing the amp to a atmos/dts X amp.

i cannot change the speakers nor do I want to and anthing in the roof..no chance.

Will atmos be ok or upconverison of atmos using this exact system of 7.1 heights.

I dont want to add another up firing pair...seems pointless.
post #51 of 369 Old 01-05-2017, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uktima View Post
There is such a lack of information on google about this topic.

Im in england, im using a 7.1 set up with heights ..mainly I use Dolby PLIIz 7.1 with front heights.

i found it so much better than usual 5.1 due to the greater depth..

Now, here is my sito,,, my speakers are good enough, IM changing the amp to a atmos/dts X amp.

i cannot change the speakers nor do I want to and anthing in the roof..no chance.

Will atmos be ok or upconverison of atmos using this exact system of 7.1 heights.

I dont want to add another up firing pair...seems pointless.
Yes, it would be better IMO, I original experimented with this exact thing and I found the more discrete nature of Atmos and it's upmixer to be far superior to PLIIz w/ heights.
Only thing is that you can't use a Yamaha receiver for this, with a x.x.2 setup, Yamaha only allows for the 2 to be TM, nothing else. Other than that I think you'll really like it.

My Build Thread:
post #52 of 369 Old 01-05-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, it would be better IMO, I original experimented with this exact thing and I found the more discrete nature of Atmos and it's upmixer to be far superior to PLIIz w/ heights.
Only thing is that you can't use a Yamaha receiver for this, with a x.x.2 setup, Yamaha only allows for the 2 to be TM, nothing else. Other than that I think you'll really like it.
Im looking at Pioneer as my previous amp is Pioneer so looking at simply changing it to a decent 2016 atmos amp.
post #53 of 369 Old 01-05-2017, 02:57 PM

anyonce care to share their opinions on this one.....

Im going from a pioneer vsx 924

to pioneer vsx 1131 ....or maybe

denon 2300 or

onkyo txnr656.

Which one would you guys get?
post #54 of 369 Old 01-05-2017, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uktima View Post
Im looking at Pioneer as my previous amp is Pioneer so looking at simply changing it to a decent 2016 atmos amp.
I'm not familiar with the Pioneers, your best advice would be to either find the owners thread in the receiver section and ask there. Our look up the manual online and see if it allows for FH or TF in a 5.1.2 setup.

My Build Thread:
post #55 of 369 Old 01-12-2017, 05:47 PM

Got the vsx 1131 and using a 7.1 set up with front heights which are high anyway...3-4 foot above left and right channel.

Using the amp on 5.1.2 it is much better than dolby PLIIz even with pcm 2.0 upconversion on dolby surround,

The tv shows input pcm 2.0 output dolby surround 5.1.2.

Obv dolby 2.0 in converts better ...tried 7.1 in and 5.1.2 out on blu ray, amazing.

Just ordered mad max fury road blu ray to test atmos, I want to hear the real deal.
blatz8 and ALtlOff like this.
post #56 of 369 Old 01-20-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For anyone still in doubt as to whether Heights work well for Atmos, check out HTG #337 and Scotts comments on the Wolf Cinema demo at CES done with all heights (about 1:07:20), not only did he think it wss very good, later on he puts it in his picks for one of the best sounds at the show.

My Build Thread:
post #57 of 369 Old 01-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I'm going the heights route also as I cannot install in ceiling.

I'm just trying to debate on how I want to do it. My AVR can do full 7.X.4 though I'm not sure if I want to do the wire runs for it and have just mass amounts of speakers all over the wall.

I can do just fronts, or I can do fronts and rears, or I can just do top middle. Then comes into play what speakers to use for it. I have landed in between SuperSat3's on a mount that can be angled, or I can just do Prime elevation speakers but they just seem so big.

basically I have to make the decision as to which route I'm going to take so I can either get 14/4 or 14/2 speaker cables since I'm running the surrounds and rears to be wall mounted I can do it all at the same time.

I'll probably do back heights and just run something for the front, then I would need to buy even more speakers lol ugh damn this hobby.
blatz8 likes this.

LivingRoom: LG OLED77C8P /Oppo UDP-203/Denon X8500H/SVS SB16 ULTRA/M5300-PM/Paradigm 85F, 45c, Mythos Gem XL x4, SVS Prime Elevation x4 /PS4 Pro/X1X/Switch/AppleTV 4K
Bedroom: LG OLED65E6P / Oppo BDP103D / AppleTV // Office: Sony 55A9F / X1X
ISF Level I Certified, CalMan VideoPro, ChromaPure, i1D3 Pro, i1Pro, C6 HDR 2000, VideoForge Pro, Lightspace
post #58 of 369 Old 01-20-2017, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie2980 View Post
I'm going the heights route also as I cannot install in ceiling.

I'm just trying to debate on how I want to do it. My AVR can do full 7.X.4 though I'm not sure if I want to do the wire runs for it and have just mass amounts of speakers all over the wall.

I can do just fronts, or I can do fronts and rears, or I can just do top middle. Then comes into play what speakers to use for it. I have landed in between SuperSat3's on a mount that can be angled, or I can just do Prime elevation speakers but they just seem so big.

basically I have to make the decision as to which route I'm going to take so I can either get 14/4 or 14/2 speaker cables since I'm running the surrounds and rears to be wall mounted I can do it all at the same time.

I'll probably do back heights and just run something for the front, then I would need to buy even more speakers lol ugh damn this hobby.
While x.x.2 will be nice, x.x.4 is really what you want to do, it is considerably better.
FH & RH if you can, simply for the accuracy, but if you can't, any mix of 4 (FH/TM for example) will still be better than 2.

My Build Thread:
post #59 of 369 Old 01-20-2017, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just ordered the tsr 7810 yamaha receiver, currently I have a 7.1 set up with rear surrounds behind the listening area in a vaulted ceiling and side surrounds left and right of listening area in wall. I am not able to get front heights or front ceiling speakers, I want to keep current set up, I dont want to cut anymore holes in wall. My question is, would this set up work with dolby atoms or im better off keeping it as 7.1 when setting up new receiver. I am also using pre outs of this receiver if that means anything.
post #60 of 369 Old 01-21-2017, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
While x.x.2 will be nice, x.x.4 is really what you want to do, it is considerably better.
FH & RH if you can, simply for the accuracy, but if you can't, any mix of 4 (FH/TM for example) will still be better than 2.
Without a doubt I agree. I'm just factoring in WAF lol.

Which brought me to the supersat high mounted at an angle.

LivingRoom: LG OLED77C8P /Oppo UDP-203/Denon X8500H/SVS SB16 ULTRA/M5300-PM/Paradigm 85F, 45c, Mythos Gem XL x4, SVS Prime Elevation x4 /PS4 Pro/X1X/Switch/AppleTV 4K
Bedroom: LG OLED65E6P / Oppo BDP103D / AppleTV // Office: Sony 55A9F / X1X
ISF Level I Certified, CalMan VideoPro, ChromaPure, i1D3 Pro, i1Pro, C6 HDR 2000, VideoForge Pro, Lightspace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
atmos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page