Need speakers for New x4200w 5.1.2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By SabreWuLF_
  • 1 Post By SabreWuLF_

post #1 of 8 Old 11-22-2015, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Need speakers for New x4200w 5.1.2

I finally settled on and ordered a new Denon x4200w. should be here in a few days, so i am half way there!
Now for the speakers! 15w x 17l x 9h foot room with open back (behind couch) makes basically whole first floor part of living room. mainly looking for 5.1.2 setup for HT (daily TV and movies), and some pandora when the wife is gone and the kids and i wanna get goofy! front heights will proabbly be my only options for the x.x.2.

I've seen the other posts for the R-28Fs going on sale at BB on Friday.. still have BIC 7.0 system in my bookmarks.. and several SVS subs as well (PC-2000.. just cause its massive and i want it.. ) but in reality I'm not sure what to do. my main issue with the BIC system is the massive surrounds. some people say the Klipsch is too 'bright'.. not sure if i care ive looked at the various Energy speakers on Newegg as well. some say they are great, others say they are a muddy waste of money. I really like the floorstanding fronts. they just look awesome and remind me of may dads setup way back when. there is no place i know of around here to sample speakers, sampling anything in BB is just a waste of time.

My Sony Soundbar has no redeeming qualities other then being better the stock TV speakers. so im sure even my worse choice would be 100x better.. but this is a once a decade purchase. i dont want to mess it up.

I would really like to keep the cost below $1500 for 5.1.2 setup but there is 'some' wiggle room. mainly depending on how much vodka i can get the wife to drink before i hit the Buy Now button she will kill me....

I fully expect to be a poor father on Friday and Monday cyber trolling for super deals on things i could not normally afford.. but it would help to have at least a good start position for my 'monster HT'.
the more i read these threads the more i want things outta my budget! thanks all!! we will be eating spagettios for thanksgiving!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-22-2015, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Honestly, I would completely stay away from the Klipsch R-28F unless you can find a new pair for much less than the sale price at Best Buy. It is a re-badge of the Klipsch Icon series (entry level) and tricked many customers into buying this series since all they really did was change the color of the woofers to cooper. Many Klipsch owners will tell you to go for the RF-II series instead. The Klipsch RP series was recently released so the RF-II series is now discontinued. If you shop around you might be able to find the RF-II series at a pretty nice discounted price. Or just go straight for the RP series. They seem to have been getting a lot of praises and I think the RP is the best value line Klipsch has produced up to date.

Honestly...if you want awesome value I'd highly recommend looking into some of these brands:

Ascend Acoustics/Wave Crest
Philharmonic Audio
Chane
HSU Research
EMPTek
NHT
Elac
JBL

The holiday sales are coming up. Don't rush and take your time shopping around. You'll be surprised how much value there is out there other than what's available in your local Best Buy stores.
dsrussell likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-22-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 5647
^^
+1. All great suggestions.

I would add the SVS Prime speaker package to your list at $500 below your proposed budget.

2-channel: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW608, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red
Living Room: 3 x KEF Q150, B&W ASW610, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-22-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked: 1931
You might also want to hit the KEF Direct website on Monday as they are to announce some holiday bargains. I'm betting they'll have a couple of selections aimed squarely at the home theater market.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-23-2015, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

the SVS Prime setup look nice.. is the lower 87db sensitivity something to worry about? most of the speakers I've looked at are in the mid 90's. Too much info on this site! the more i read the more i worry about every aspect.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-23-2015, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

even more tempting... SVS offers 60-day price guarantee. Don't need to wait until black Friday or cyber Monday!
I've just read several of the AVS reviews on the Prime series in 2.1 and 5.1.4. and they all get glowing reviews.
only issue would be what sub to add to the 7.0 setup the offer. pretty much any choice puts be over budget. but would rather get it all at once.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-23-2015, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I wouldn't worry too much about sensitivity UNLESS...you have an enormously large room (and always want to play at reference level) and/or you have an under-power receiver/amps.

But if you're still worried about sensitivity...go for Ascend Acoustics...guarantee you won't be disappointed
swizzchard likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-23-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked: 1931
This looks yummy for anyone looking for a high quality "thin line" 5.1 system. Great sound, very compact and spouse friendly design.

https://www.kefdirect.com/index.php/...er-system.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page