Can a speaker be judged on numbers alone? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So how do you guys buy speakers then? Would someone please explain to me what do many 'hobbyists" do as soon as they open a link to a product page?
Do they look at the photos and think how will the speaker match their home decor?
Do they look at numbers alone and if the speaker doesn't go as high or low in frequency range then is ruled as not good or inferior?
Or do they look at both photos and specs in order to make a decision keeping in mind the specs of the equipment they already have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildude View Post
So how do you guys buy speakers then? Would someone please explain to me what do many 'hobbyists" do as soon as they open a link to a product page?
Do they look at the photos and think how will the speaker match their home decor?
Do they look at numbers alone and if the speaker doesn't go as high or low in frequency range then is ruled as not good or inferior?
Or do they look at both photos and specs in order to make a decision keeping in mind the specs of the equipment they already have?
I'm not an elitist like some here are. I do look at specs and rule out those whose low end or high end do not extend far enough for my intended purpose. Since I know what kind of sound I like I tend to rule out those manufacturers that I know do not match it. I also tend to rule out manufacturers known to produce generally inferior products. Then I spend my time online doing research, as an example I trust Jim Wilson a great deal so if he has tested a product I am considering that carries a lot weight with me. I look at other publications that I trust like AVS, Audio review, etc.

Finally, once I have a shortlist I will try and listen to them, at my home if possible or a showroom if not. I always make sure there is a return policy if I cannot listen to them locally.

In your case I would recommend you consider the Wavecrest HVL-1, it's an excellent speaker. It will sound very good nearfield and will give you more speaker for your money, they are better than their price would indicate. Good luck.

Yamaha Aventage RX-A660
Martin Logan Motion 12 Mains
Martin Logan Motion 8 Center
Martin Logan Motion 2 Surrounds
SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer
Sony Bravia XBR-55X930D
post #33 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbrown View Post
I also tend to rule out manufacturers known to produce generally inferior products.
I'm not trying to bash or shame anyone, I truly want to learn to shop for a speaker online. Most people here seem very knowledgable about audio and I value suggestions and advise. Can you offer a list of those manufacturers known to make inferior products or will someone get offended?

Quote:
In your case I would recommend you consider the Wavecrest HVL-1, it's an excellent speaker. It will sound very good nearfield and will give you more speaker for your money, they are better than their price would indicate. Good luck.
I was just reading about those same speaker as I got your reply. I know they offer 30 day full refund policy which is great. Looking at the pictures the have on their site they seem to have a very straight curb, similar to those of the affordable accuracy monitors.
My question now is, will the Wavecrest HVL-1 be brighter than the Klipsch R-14M's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not trying to bash or shame anyone, I truly want to learn to shop for a speaker online. Most people here seem very knowledgable about audio and I value suggestions and advise. Can you offer a list of those manufacturers known to make inferior products or will someone get offended?

I was just reading about those same speaker as I got your reply. I know they offer 30 day full refund policy which is great. Looking at the pictures the have on their site they seem to have a very straight curb, similar to those of the affordable accuracy monitors.
My question now is, will the Wavecrest HVL-1 be brighter than the Klipsch R-14M's?
Anytime you talk down something you'll end up offending someone. In some cases it is also very much a subjective thing.

No chance at all, the design goal of the Wavecrest was to produce as close to a neutral speaker as possible for the price. I personally do not know of any speaker line that is, on the whole, brighter than the Klipsch line. If you want that kind of sound you'll have to manually crank up the high end with the equalizer/tone controls on the receiver.

Yamaha Aventage RX-A660
SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer
Sony Bravia XBR-55X930D

Last edited by mdbrown; 11-29-2015 at 11:54 AM.
post #35 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3110
Quote:
I can only tell you what I do. I look on websites such as AVS and do a lot of research on various speaker brands. I never ask for recommendations and never ask what someone thinks is best. I do note their preferences if they seem knowledgeable and give the good and bad about their speaker of choice. Those that are in love with their speakers and have nothing negative to say, I usually dismiss. I also read a lot of professional reviews. Some reviewers test out and graph speakers and subwoofers, which is great. I go to the manufacturer’s website to take a look at their specs (most are only numbers, which don’t tell you a lot, but tell you something). After all this research and making a short list of speakers that look promising, I go out and audition as many speakers as practical. My auditions are long affairs with music I’m intimately familiar, not just 20 or 30 minutes. I often go back two or three times and audition them again. If nothing thrills me, I continue on. I then order certain speakers from my short list to audition at home. Once I’m satisfied, I buy. If not satisfied, the speakers are sent back and I take a long break and reevaluate.

Surprisingly, not many people are willing to do all this. It takes time, which a lot of people don’t have. I consider it essential, or one ends up with a system they will update sooner than later.
Evildude likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #36 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 3840 Post(s)
Liked: 4343
Quote:
Everyone has different goals and budgets, so it's hard to answer precisely.

Some people are good with 200lbs speakers that are 6ft tall and 3ft wide and cost $2000+
Other people need 10lbs bookshelf speakers for $100.
Some people only need 85db, or 105db or 115db, and some prefer >115db+ at a large distance.
Some people need 30hz, or 20hz or 10hz bass, and some prefer single-digit performance.
Some people only need 15-19khz performance, some need/desire 20khz, others aren't happy unless it is flat to 30-100khz.

I look at everything... as I assemble my own speakers and subs from the various components.

In AIY/DIY land, a $400 pair of speakers gets you roughly 20hz-50khz and 99db/w/m with 500watt power handling; it requires another $800 in electronics to make it work optimally.

For an extra $500-1000 you can add a sub and get 5hz performance and 500-1000watt power handling.

So for $2000 you can have a really kick-butt system that BestBuy-type systems just can't touch (or most Mid-Fi and Hi-Fi systems for that matter.)
If you only need 30hz to 20khz performance then you can save about $1000-1500 dollars. $500-1000 in the AIY space gets you 90% of what is possible.

And all that is just a $400 speaker... the performance of a
$2000 well-executed DIY speaker will blow your mind! They are typically 5-15hz capable and can output over 110-120db at a distance and handle 3-5kW (but few people need/desire such performance though...)

The only problem is that DIY speakers look ugly and good ones are moderately-sized, you can solve the looks by adding a cloth grill to hide the ugly cones and a premium veneer or paint to make the box look tolerable or just hide the whole thing behind an AT projector screen.

In the retail space you are buying unknown parts, of questionable quality and price mark-up added, you NEVER know because the company doesn't want you to know (even if you phone and ask them technical questions you aren't likely to get far). But it looks pretty.
All you have is the most-vague of specs (if any) that are full of marketing fibs or lies or half-truths.
All you can do is audition it and cross your fingers, or possibly bring test-equipment with you to the audition ,
or buy it locally (with a return policy) and try it at home and test it at home.

The degree of variability is too great to get a handle of what a system can do. It requires a combination of measurements and listening. Often repeated multiple times over several days on a multitude of music styles and test signals.

That said, it is amazing what a simple pink-noise sample, sine sweep and a 1 minute song will reveal of a speaker-system if you know what to listen for.
dsrussell likes this.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 11-29-2015 at 01:40 PM.
post #37 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4797
Quote:
When I look at a manufacturer's product page (not the retailer's) I check out the various specs, looks are fine as long as its black Home decor? For two small computer speakers? Maybe computer/desk decor.

I look for good frequency response within the range needed (with subwoofer crossover in mind mostly) as well as sensitivity rating, impedance plot, on/off axis response, polar, waterfall and THD performance like Bill mentions. The very high end of the frequency spectrum performance doesn't matter much to me for two reasons....my hearing doesn't go beyond 16k or so and lack of content in that area anyways. Few manufacturers offer these kind of measurements, but one reason I've gone with Ascend Acoustics several times in my internet speaker shopping.
post #38 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2330 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
Quote:

... I can actually spend a maximum of about $250 with tax included.

Yes. My receiver is connected via spdif to my iMac.

I would like to add that yesterday afternoon I got a pair of Klipsch R-14M .... I wasn't that impressed.
I'm slightly confused about the Klipsch, you DID find them harsh? Did you like them?

So, this is what we have to bass our recommendations on -

Yamaha RX-V377 AVR connected via SPDIF to Apple MAC.
Energy 10" Sub
Used on a Computer Desktop
Budget, up to $250 MAX.

Again, though I don't specifically know how much space you have available, but 5" and possibly 6.5" Speakers would be preferred. Though with a Subwoofer, the right 4" speakers might work fine.

Using an AV Receiver gives you more flexibility in the control and blending of the Sub and Front speakers.

When you are looking at speakers pay attention to the Dimension of the speakers. Some, as an example, can be deeper than expected, and that might be a problem if you have limited desktop space.

If you can push your budget, and if you want a high quality, yet very smooth sound, consider the Martin Logan Motions XL16 speakers -

Martin Logan Motion XL16, 5.25", 60hz, - $240/pr -

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_839MLX1...16.html?tp=186

I've not heard them as they are relatively new, but the Infinity Reference are still within your budget -

Infinity Reference R152, 5.25", 60hz - $175/pr -

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R152...52.html?tp=186

However, even the previously mentioned Infinity Primus P153 and P163 are worth considering.

Though pushing your budget to the absolute limit, the Audioengine P4 is worth a look and should fit well on a Desktop.

AudioEngine P4 Passive Bookshelf, 4", 58hz - $249/pr -

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_772P4B/...ck.html?tp=186

This is the passive version of Audioengine's Active Speaker which have won many awards.

Actually, all things considered and going easy on your budget. At least give some thought to the Infinity Reference. These are deeply discounted and have a suggested Retail Price of $350/pr. You price is currently $175/pr.

Steve/bluewizard
post #39 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked: 2104
Quote:
Curious, what good is a speaker if it meets some textbook spec if you don't enjoy the sound? What difference does it make if it doesn't but you do enjoy the sound? I don't purchase my equipment for any reason other than to enjoy it, I quit the spec race a very long time ago.
Well, the point isn't about what sounds best. For me, spec are about ruling out speakers that I don't want to hear, based on the spec. Since there is something like 8000 speaker choice, and since ID direct represents a great potential value, you have to use spec to rule out some speakers that just don't have it. Like stated above, those specs have to be +/- and by a company know to be accurate with their specs. If you see a speaker that has a hump at 100 the high end, it is likely to be bright. If I don't like bright speakers, I might rule that one out. But of course you need to hear a speaker to know if you like it or not! However, specs can tell you about the potential sonic qualities of a speaker...

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #40 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Well, the point isn't about what sounds best. For me, spec are about ruling out speakers that I don't want to hear, based on the spec. Since there is something like 8000 speaker choice, and since ID direct represents a great potential value, you have to use spec to rule out some speakers that just don't have it. Like stated above, those specs have to be +/- and by a company know to be accurate with their specs. If you see a speaker that has a hump at 100 the high end, it is likely to be bright. If I don't like bright speakers, I might rule that one out. But of course you need to hear a speaker to know if you like it or not! However, specs can tell you about the potential sonic qualities of a speaker...
Now this I can understand. I do eliminate choices if the specs are trustworthy and show a profile that won't fit what I want. Anymore nowadays though I tend to stick to brands but tend to do a great deal of research online via reviews. Preferably by those whom I trust.

Yamaha Aventage RX-A660
SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer
Sony Bravia XBR-55X930D
post #41 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

All of the above. While I've been doing this for a while now .... like decades..., I go to some extent by the reputation of the Speaker Makers.

Then I go by the application. For my application, which is primarily Movies and Music, I look for large speakers with big bass drivers and deep bass response. But that is not your situation.

You have a Computer Desktop, an AVR, and a good Subwoofer. So, you have to find some speakers that fit that circumstance. While I have large floorstanding on my main system, on my computer I have a 50w/ch Stereo Receiver and a couple of Polk Audio M10 speakers, which are normally about $100/pr, but I got them on sale for $45/pr plus shipping. Bass drivers are 5", and the Bass response is 64hz, which is fine for how I use them on my computer. (no Sub).

Each aspect narrows the field. Since the speaker you require are for a Computer Desktop, that eliminated floorstanding, and your budget of Max $250/pr, cut the range of possibilities down further. Since you have a Subwoofer and AVR, the bass response of the Front speakers becomes less critical. Though don't let it get too high.

Also, though of very limited value, I use YouTube to get some vague sense of speakers I am interested in. Though keep in mind perhaps 1 out of 50 YouTube video is properly recorded. Typically they are recorded too loud which add all kinds of distortion. So you have to be able to weed out the crappy videos, and focus on the tolerable ones. For someone who simply can not get out and listen to speakers, YouTube is a resource, but it is a limited resource. But... it is better than nothing if you can weed out the bad videos.

So, application and budget are the first narrowing factors. Then we consider specs relative to what you are trying to accomplish. Then we consider the type of content you listen to. The recommendations for EDM or Heavy Metal would be a bit different than what we might recommend for Jazz, as an example.

Feedback on a specific product from forums like this are also valuable, as you can find people with direct experience, if not with the specific speakers you are considering, then at least with the brand.

I think a vast majority of the equipment and speakers I've bought have been mail-ordered unheard, but I do a lot of research before I buy. Generally, I've not had a single bad experience.

Also, bargain shopping. Frequently, I don't buy the best equipment, I buy the best bargain. $350/pr speakers for $175/pr is an exceptional bargain. My floorstanding speakers were $1000/pr Retail, yet I paid $425/pr with free shipping. I couldn't find a CD Player that I liked at a price that I could afford, so I ended up with a $450 Universal DVD Player for $150 direct from the Manufacturer. It does a fantastic job, and nothing else I could have bought for that amount of money can equal the player I have.

So, price and discounts can influence your choices.

Lastly, the construction of the speaker relative to general characteristics of that type of construction - Front Ported or Rear Ported - Metal Dome Tweeters or Silk Dome Tweeters - Driver material construction - and so on. As you have now found out, Horn Tweeter so have a unique sound, and when done right, it can sound very good, when done wrong ... not so much.

And ...yes... how the speaker looks matters. You are allowed to buy a speaker because it look cool, though you can't ignore the other factors.

Steve/bluewizard
Evildude likes this.
post #42 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
I'm slightly confused about the Klipsch, you DID find them harsh? Did you like them?

So, this is what we have to bass our recommendations on -

Yamaha RX-V377 AVR connected via SPDIF to Apple MAC.
Energy 10" Sub
Used on a Computer Desktop
Budget, up to $250 MAX.

First of all thanks for your kind and very patient advise. I do not have any place to audition speakers and there fore haven't been exposed to many good brands other than whatever big box stores carry.

Yesterday I went over to my local BestBuy and tried to audition some speakers. They have sets of bookshelf along with floor standing speakers over in a section by the home theater, which can make listening for detail quite challenging.

An employee came and asked if he could help. I told him I was thinking about buy a pair of "decent" speakers for my 2.1 computer setup. After asking if I had an amp to drive them he noted my amp is on the "cheap" and that my options were limited.

He proceeded to say, and I use a direct quote "don't waste you time with this cheap stuff let's walk over to the Magnolia studio where you'll be able to hear what quality speakers sound like and I guaranty you will be blown away." I told him I didn't wanted to spend a small fortune on speakers that will mostly be sitting on my desk.

He offered to let me listen to their best selling speakers the "Energy connoisseur" but that my amp was not going to be able to drive them properly...

I declined and proceeded to buy the Klipsch R14M and headed home. I plugged them in and ran the Yamaha's ypao which set the x-over at 40Hz and the speakers to large. I changed them to small and set the x-over to 80Hz. I wasn't impressed.

They were not as bright as I thought they would. I sat there in awe, wondering if all that was just a myth or I was going deaf. Today I went over and exchanged them for their ironically cheaper ($124.99) "big brothers" the R15M and which I'm currently listening to. I'm definitely intrigued by your suggestions and I'm thinking about returning the Klipsch, not for their harshness but their lack thereof.

Last edited by Evildude; 11-29-2015 at 04:43 PM.
post #43 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Now this I can understand. I do eliminate choices if the specs are trustworthy and show a profile that won't fit what I want. Anymore nowadays though I tend to stick to brands but tend to do a great deal of research online via reviews. Preferably by those whom I trust.
Lol
post #44 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Lol
Oh good, I'm glad I was able to make you feel important. Have a nice life.

Yamaha Aventage RX-A660
SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer
Sony Bravia XBR-55X930D
post #45 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
First of all thanks for your kind and very patient advise. I do not have any place to audition speakers and there fore haven't been exposed to many good brands other than whatever big box stores carry.

Yesterday I went over to my local BestBuy and tried to audition some speakers. They have sets of bookshelf along with floor standing speakers over in a section by the home theater, which can make listening for detail quite challenging.

An employee came and asked if he could help. I told him I was thinking about buy a pair of "decent" speakers for my 2.1 computer setup. After asking if I had an amp to drive them he noted my amp is on the "cheap" and that my options were limited.

He proceeded to say, and I use a direct quote "don't waste you time with this cheap stuff let's walk over to the Magnolia studio where you'll be able to hear what quality speakers sound like and I guaranty you will be blown away." I told him I didn't wanted to spend a small fortune on speakers that will mostly be sitting on my desk.

He offered to let me listen to their best selling speakers the "Energy connoisseur" but that my amp was not going to be able to drive them properly...

I declined and proceeded to buy the Klipsch R14M and headed home. I plugged them in and ran the Yamaha's ypao which set the x-over at 40Hz and the speakers to large. I changed them to small and set the x-over to 80Hz. I wasn't impressed.

They were not as bright as I thought they would. I sat there in awe, wondering if all that was just a myth or I was going deaf. Today I went over and exchanged them for their ironically cheaper ($124.99) "big brothers" the R15M and which I'm currently listening to. I'm definitely intrigued by your suggestions and I'm thinking about returning the Klipsch, not for their harshness but their lack thereof.
Idiot sales dude at BB....he has no idea. Your avr is fine. You want harshness?

ps Curious how are you positioning them? Sitting on corners of your desk or on stands or tilted up or?
post #46 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

He proceeded to say, and I use a direct quote "don't waste you time with this cheap stuff let's walk over to the Magnolia studio ....

The Store person wasn't completely wrong, you AVR is on the cheap end, but you are not asking it to deliver full home theater. Rather simply driver a basic 2.1 system.

Also, the Magnolia aspect is somewhat independent of the general store. If he directed you there, then he probably worked at Magnolia. He was right though, you would have heard tremendously better speakers, but they would have been tremendously more expensive as well.

Take a day or two with the larger Klipsch. Sometime people mistake clarity and lack of distortion for the speaker not sounding right.

If the Klipsch are not harsh, then they should sound pretty good. Bearing in mind with those speaker in the $100/pr to $150/pr range, you can't expect too much from them.

Steve/bluewizard
post #47 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Idiot sales dude at BB....he has no idea. Your avr is fine. You want harshness?

ps Curious how are you positioning them? Sitting on corners of your desk or on stands or tilted up or?
They are sitting on a pair of Audioengine DS2 stand that angle up, I don't own the speakers and never heard Audioengine. They are about 7" at either side of the computer screen. My desk is sort of "L" shaped and sits on a corner. I mostly listen to everything except rap and hip-hop. The heaviest would have to be Slayer while the softest my be YoYo-Ma. While listening to rock I want clear cymbal reproduction. I also like to hear the drum pedals and vocals, but all that depends on the mix they used while recording. On the classical side I like very "airy" and "clean" "wide" sound.
post #48 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
They are sitting on a pair of Audioengine DS2 stand that angle up, I don't own the speakers and never heard Audioengine. They are about 7" at either side of the computer screen. My desk is sort of "L" shaped and sits on a corner. I mostly listen to everything except rap and hip-hop. The heaviest would have to be Slayer while the softest my be YoYo-Ma. While listening to rock I want clear cymbal reproduction. I also like to hear the drum pedals and vocals, but all that depends on the mix they used while recording. On the classical side I like very "airy" and "clean" "wide" sound.
Was going to suggest something like that to avoid desk reflections as much as possible. I take it you've experimented with angle/toe-in. Must they be on-desk?

Sounds like you like good speakers Personally I'd find this a good opportunity for DIY. Something like this http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker...eaker-kit.html if staying small, this if a bit larger http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker...eaker-kit.html
post #49 of 53 Old 11-29-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Quote:
Was going to suggest something like that to avoid desk reflections as much as possible. I take it you've experimented with angle/toe-in. Must they be on-desk?

Sounds like you like good speakers Personally I'd find this a good opportunity for DIY. Something like this http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker...eaker-kit.html if staying small, this if a bit larger http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker...eaker-kit.html
I have read many good things about the Overnight Sensation speaker kit.
I was going to try them myself but shipping to Canada doubles the price.
post #50 of 53 Old 11-30-2015, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Unfortunately yes. As I stated earlier the fact that they sit with their back against the wall makes me think I should look for either sealed or front ported speakers.

Quote:
Sounds like you like good speakers Personally I'd find this a good opportunity for DIY.
Hahaha, thanks. I just want the best reproduction I can afford. Not too crisp as they will sit really close to me but certainly "airy" sounding. Those speakers look interesting. I like the fact that I can paint them to look much more expensive Wouldn't the specs change based on what type of foam one uses to stuff the cabinet?

Quote:
The Store person wasn't completely wrong, you AVR is on the cheap end, but you are not asking it to deliver full home theater. Rather simply driver a basic 2.1 system.
I had never heard a Yamaha receiver before, in fact I own 2 Pioneer receivers the 1120-k (main HT) and the 853-k on my master bed. I bought it probably about 4 months ago, I was originally going to get the Emotiva mini-X a-100 but I needed something with digital and/or usb in to directly connect my iMac. Many over at the receiver's section said that had enough power to drive any speaker comfortably.

Quote:
Also, the Magnolia aspect is somewhat independent of the general store. If he directed you there, then he probably worked at Magnolia. He was right though, you would have heard tremendously better speakers, but they would have been tremendously more expensive as well.
I recall him not wearing a bright blue shirt like every other employee so you are probably right. About the speakers, I personally don't see the point of spending $1000 on a pair of Energy connoisseur or bowers & wilkins when all the music I have comes from itunes and is being fed to the speakers though a "cheap" Yamaha avr. Someday I'll buy a massive McIntosh receiver and maybe then I'll spend pocket change on those speakers.

Quote:
Take a day or two with the larger Klipsch. Sometime people mistake clarity and lack of distortion for the speaker not sounding right.

If the Klipsch are not harsh, then they should sound pretty good. Bearing in mind with those speaker in the $100/pr to $150/pr range, you can't expect too much from them.

Steve/bluewizard
No matter what I do they just wont sound right. I ran the Yamaha ypao and again set them to small with a x-over of 80Hz. I also turned all the sound altering features off all to no avail. I know I wont find my perfect sounding pair of speakers in a day but man, it sure it's hard.

I ended up ordering the Pioneer BS22 which are on sale on Amazon $99 /pr. They'll be here tomorrow thanks to Amazon Now

Last edited by Evildude; 12-01-2015 at 08:16 AM.
post #51 of 53 Old 12-01-2015, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Have you listened to a lot of accurate speakers and discovered you don't enjoy accurate sound?
Yep, why I picked ALTECs over Advents and Dynacos from back in the days when all were factory new. Of course we also had "stereo shops" back then as opposed to a Best Buy's simple display of today.
Gooddoc likes this.
post #52 of 53 Old 12-01-2015, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Here we go again......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	1091042  

Last edited by Swolephile; 12-01-2015 at 03:54 AM.
post #53 of 53 Old 12-01-2015, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For me, the answer is yes. The first number I look at is price. If that number has a "," in it per speaker, they are definitely off the list. My 5.0 speakers cost me just over $1,000. After that, the other numbers start to come into play but have little to do with my decision.

Gear: Denon AVR-X3200W; Chane A5rx-c Main L/R, Chane A2rx-c center; Elemental Design A5-350 Subwoofer; Panasonic PT-AE8000U; MOnoprice Surrounds; Screen skimmed, waiting to be painted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page