2.0 Bookshelf Compared! Wharfedale, Philharmonic, Chane, MusicHall, Elac, Energy, Kef - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1062Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 1009 Old 02-21-2018, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 13,253
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7456 Post(s)
Liked: 5685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
also i plugged the basx8 port with low density foam .. that really seems to help cleaning up the "higher" hz to make the crossover pretty smooth...
interesting...I'm assuming you improvised this foam plug, rather than Emotiva shipping the BasX-8 with a plug? I wonder what they would say about doing that, might want to shoot them an email just out of curiosity.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 1009 Old 02-21-2018, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,585
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
When using my subs I preferred 90 Hz b/c the low end sounded a bit tighter. The kick drums just sounded punchier than when at 80 Hz. May get around to getting me a set of the BasX S8's before it is all said and done. But, I also been looking at the Hsu VTF-1's as well. Unfortunately though, it will be a good while before I can buy anything. Sounds like you got things going in the right direction!


Cheers,

Phil
i am sure enjoying my newest hobby..audio is great in that it never "ends"... always new stuff to hear or read about.. i guess lots of hobbies share this trait...you are sounding pretty chipper ...ya that basx8 has turned out pretty nice in a 2.1...plugging that port really makes a nice difference.. it never gets boomy ...i imagine that vtf- 1 would be quite a bit nicer , but for budget subs the emotiva work well....
audiofreak38 likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #993 of 1009 Old 02-21-2018, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,585
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
interesting...I'm assuming you improvised this foam plug, rather than Emotiva shipping the BasX-8 with a plug? I wonder what they would say about doing that, might want to shoot them an email just out of curiosity.
yes sir.. i used the foam from one of the q100s .. the ports are pretty similar.. i read on an amazon review that they fit .. and work well .. the reviewer was right.. i talked to a CS rep about it(via phone)... the only comment i got was "it won't "hurt" anything to do it"...
Zorba922 likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #994 of 1009 Old 02-21-2018, 08:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
yes .. the q100s are clear as a bell with front ports.. although i do run exclusively 2.1 crossed at 90hz...
Same here. Clear as a bell with mine. I've been playing with the crossover between 80, 90, and 100hz to see if I notice any sub localization since it is right next to my couch.
audiofreak38 and Lp85253 like this.
D33vious is offline  
post #995 of 1009 Old 02-21-2018, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,585
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
Same here. Clear as a bell with mine. I've been playing with the crossover between 80, 90, and 100hz to see if I notice any sub localization since it is right next to my couch.
It's my opinion that these speakers were built with the intention of being surrounds ( being forward.. for the surround shock value)and for music to include a sub .. to allow for high cross..to let the sub warm up the sound .. but that's jmo....
mttpalmer likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #996 of 1009 Old 02-21-2018, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiofreak38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,593
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i am sure enjoying my newest hobby..audio is great in that it never "ends"... always new stuff to hear or read about.. i guess lots of hobbies share this trait...you are sounding pretty chipper ...ya that basx8 has turned out pretty nice in a 2.1...plugging that port really makes a nice difference.. it never gets boomy ...i imagine that vtf- 1 would be quite a bit nicer , but for budget subs the emotiva work well....
Yeah Lee I am hanging in there. Got some bad news regarding my C-spine today. Lots of issues with pain, numbness, and tingling in my neck and/or left top shoulder. Now have to go see a neurosurgeon next. Just had an MRI and been through months of physical therapy. Sadly, the physical therapy was not too helpful. Pains meds are a no go w/me. So, I am not sure what is going to happen next. Praying that I don't have to have surgery on my C-spine. Got several bulging discs/herniation to deal with. I also agree that in this hobby you never stop learning. That is, there is always something to read up about. Have a good night!


Cheers,

Phil
Lp85253 likes this.
audiofreak38 is offline  
post #997 of 1009 Old 02-21-2018, 09:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
It's my opinion that these speakers were built with the intention of being surrounds ( being forward.. for the surround shock value)and for music to include a sub .. to allow for high cross..to let the sub warm up the sound .. but that's jmo....
Not something I had thought about before, but now that you say it, it makes a ton of sense to me. I’ve been toying with the idea of obtaining another one In order to replace my current RBH r55wi’s, just to see if I like that better.....not that there is anything wrong with my current surrounds. I went from selling trying to sell my 4th q100 to considering a 5th. This stuff is just too adictive. Lol
mttpalmer and Lp85253 like this.
D33vious is offline  
post #998 of 1009 Old 02-21-2018, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,585
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
Yeah Lee I am hanging in there. Got some bad news regarding my C-spine today. Lots of issues with pain, numbness, and tingling in my neck and/or left top shoulder. Now have to go see a neurosurgeon next. Just had an MRI and been through months of physical therapy. Sadly, the physical therapy was not too helpful. Pains meds are a no go w/me. So, I am not sure what is going to happen next. Praying that I don't have to have surgery on my C-spine. Got several bulging discs/herniation to deal with. I also agree that in this hobby you never stop learning. That is, there is always something to read up about. Have a good night!


Cheers,

Phil
i hope your back starts feeling much better soon,, feeling poorly is just no fun...
audiofreak38 likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #999 of 1009 Old 02-21-2018, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,585
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
Not something I had thought about before, but now that you say it, it makes a ton of sense to me. I’ve been toying with the idea of obtaining another one In order to replace my current RBH r55wi’s, just to see if I like that better.....not that there is anything wrong with my current surrounds. I went from selling trying to sell my 4th q100 to considering a 5th. This stuff is just too adictive. Lol
you can certainly find plenty of places to spend $$$ ,, especially if you ask for help on avs

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #1000 of 1009 Old 02-22-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,988
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3293 Post(s)
Liked: 3187
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
I went from selling trying to sell my 4th q100 to considering a 5th. This stuff is just too adictive. Lol
No it is not -- I have only owned about 110 sets of speakers!
Lp85253 and D33vious like this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #1001 of 1009 Old 03-03-2018, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 4,285
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 406
I can't agree the Music Hall Marimbas are bright sounding. They're a warm signature for sure. Yes, the tweeter itself is sharp sounding, but it's very tonally neutral and accurate to my ears. It's not at all forwardly integrated with the woofer either, and in fact one of the biggest criticisms I read of this speaker is that the highs are too recessed (though I don't agree at all). The midrange on these speakers is amazingly good, especially vocals which sound incredibly lifelike. Easily the best midrange I've heard from a speaker.


Compared to the Diamond 220s, which I also have, the 220s have richer, smoother, and lusher highs, but they're not as tonally neutral and accurate as the Marimbas, though I certainly enjoy listening to them. The 220s are on the warm side of neutral, where as the Marimbas are for sure a warm signature.


In the OP's original comparison, it's not fair to compare the Marimbas to the other speakers because they all have 6.5" woofers, where as the Marimbas only have 5.25" woofers.


At any rate, I recently re-set up my Marimbas and I think they are a very fine speaker indeed. There's a 'magic' to the balance between the woofer and tweeter that's hard to describe, and instruments such as the piano, strings and brass sound very real. I listen to mostly hi-rez classical and jazz with no EQ or signal processing, but some pop also.

Last edited by RWetmore; 03-03-2018 at 07:28 AM.
RWetmore is offline  
post #1002 of 1009 Old 03-04-2018, 12:05 PM
Senior Member
 
tts42572's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Wonder how these new Elac B6 Debut 2.0 speakers will fit into the discussion and if they'll improve over the original B6's.

https://hometheaterreview.com/elac-a...-speaker-line/
tts42572 is offline  
post #1003 of 1009 Old 03-04-2018, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
gene c353's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: S.F Bay Area
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
No it is not -- I have only owned about 110 sets of speakers!
I agree, it's not addictive. I've only owned maybe 75 pairs/sets of speakers and only have about 25 on hand right now so it's not an addiction...it's a never ending life-long crisis!

I blame Mordaunt-Short for my predicament. I'm still searching for a speaker that I like more then their little 902's. Or at least a reason why.

And to think I gave up golf for this nightmare. .
gajCA, BufordTJustice and Lp85253 like this.
gene c353 is offline  
post #1004 of 1009 Old 03-04-2018, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,988
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3293 Post(s)
Liked: 3187
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c353 View Post
And to think I gave up golf for this nightmare. .
Then that is safe -- because with golf you can trip over small holes!

This is now what I am looking at -- the Creative E-MU, down from $269 -- and the word has been good
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...33TR5AUQ&psc=1

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #1005 of 1009 Old 03-04-2018, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
gene c353's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: S.F Bay Area
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Then that is safe -- because with golf you can trip over small holes!

This is now what I am looking at -- the Creative E-MU, down from $269 -- and the word has been good
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...33TR5AUQ&psc=1
You do realize you're a big reason I don't sleep at night anymore. .
gene c353 is offline  
post #1006 of 1009 Old 03-04-2018, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,220
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2972 Post(s)
Liked: 2739
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c353 View Post
You do realize you're a big reason I don't sleep at night anymore. .
You two should just get a room ...
RayGuy is offline  
post #1007 of 1009 Old 03-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
gene c353's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: S.F Bay Area
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
You two should just get a room ...
I'll need another room if I keep buying speakers he and others recommend around here . But I need to sell some of the ones I have before I buy any more.
gene c353 is offline  
post #1008 of 1009 Old 03-04-2018, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,988
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3293 Post(s)
Liked: 3187
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c353 View Post
You do realize you're a big reason I don't sleep at night anymore. .
As the Audio Word Turns!

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #1009 of 1009 Old 04-14-2018, 11:30 PM
Member
 
alphaproject's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Chane audio has updates coming and I'm pretty excited. I'm on the list to buy the A5.4 towers and the previous gen was in a list compared to much more expensive speakers up to $2500 but at a much cheaper cost.


I'm certainly going to have a big mix of speakers but the Marantz Audessey program usually helps with the differences. For my Center I did buy the Aperion Audio 5C and I have zero regrets about that. I also have some older Acoustic research AR17 hi-res speakers which I'm still satisfied with to this day but they are going to be moving to the rear sides. Luckily they have rubber surrounds. I put my NHT up as height speakers but may upgrade the rear heights with something else.... I'm not 100% sure what I will do once the Chane A5.4 get here. I was nearly going to buy the SVS Prime's but I think they are too much for what you get and I'm not 100% satisfied that they only give you a 4 inch driver.The HTD 3 series surrounds looked more impressive and you get more for the money. I don't think any DTS:X or Atmos / Aura 3D setup shows bi/di-pole speakers as a recommended solution.
BufordTJustice and bclark8923 like this.

Marantz 7012, Samsung 55 inch Q7F ,SVS ISD-10 (Upgrading soon)
Acoustic Research AR7 Hi-Res
KLH Surround/Height Speakers
Aperion Audio Intimus 5C Center Channel
Outlaw 5000 amp for various expansions
alphaproject is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
elac b6 , wharfedale diamond 10.2

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off