Replacing fronts/rears and considering all in-ceiling. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #31 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajafx4 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. My room won't allow for anything else other than ceiling speakers for the surrounds... well at least not the left rear. There's no wall where the left rear needs to be, so I currently have it mounted on the closest wall that's on the other side of my dining room ~20 ft. away... more than 2x as far as any other speaker in the setup.
Yes - every room is different, and therefore each configuration is different. I have the same issue on the left of my theater room and the ceilings are very high in my room, so you might get better performance with ceiling speakers in your room. The pix shows what I did; I built cabinets on wheels for the surrounds, and am now using the ceiling speakers for Atmos (off topic but the Atmos is quite a ride).

I never get it exactly right. Although my surrounds are working good, if I had to do again, I would place the speakers a little higher - oh well. The rear surrounds could be higher also, but as you can see, the wall behind is very short.

Since I took this picture, I put smaller speakers (kg 1.5) in the cabinets. They seem to work better.

Good luck with your installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling small.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	1160778  
bajafx4 likes this.

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.

Last edited by Alanlee; 01-04-2016 at 09:40 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No wall, picky wife, and if it's just surround these should be fine,

This should solve your problem.

the Soundolier wireless speaker floor lamp could work. Especially as a surround . The height is right. As is the price.
post #33 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to dwayne.aycock
Quote:
I've been reading and researching for days and stressing myself out over a living room remodel and new speaker purchase that I can't make a decison on.

Current 5.1 Setup:
Receiver - Sony STR-DN1060 (keeping)
Center - Mythos 7 (keeping)
Subwoofer - BIC F12 (keeping)
Fronts - Bose 301 on stands (getting rid of)
Rears - Bose 201 wall mounted (getting rid of)

I'm fairly happy with my current setup, but the old Bose speakers need to go. I'm positive that I will be going with in-ceiling rear/surround speakers and will wire the room for 7.1, but will stay with 5.1 for now. I can accommodate floor standing speakers for my fronts, but would really like to clean up the room and go with an all in-ceiling setup. If I go with floor standing fronts, I'd like something low profile with a small footprint like the Definitive Technology BP line (<6" wide cabinet); the BP-8040ST ($550ea) is what I'd really like, but the BP-8020ST ($400ea) is more in my price range. I love my F12 subwoofer, but feel it slightly lacks mid range bass, so I believe the powered subwoofers in the BP-8020ST or BP-8040ST would fill that void. If I go with an all in-ceiling setup, I'll probably add a second, smaller, sub to fill the mid bass range.

What I have proposed in my head at the moment is: Keep the Mythos 7 and F12 in place, but replace the front and rear speakers with in-ceiling speakers. If I decide I can't live with this setup, I'll add the Definitive Technology BP floor standing speakers, or something similar, and use the in-ceiling fronts in a quasi-Atmos setup with my next receiver upgrade (STR-DN1060 = no Atmos support).

In regard to in-ceiling speakers: They need to be round, depth isn't an issue, and I don't want to pay more than $1000 for four of them (2 front and 2 rear). So far, I've looked at the Paradigm H65-A and Polk 900-LS for fronts. I've also listened to a friends setup who has all BIC Formula speakers: BIC FH6-LCR for LCR, BIC F12 sub, and BIC FH6-C in-ceiling rears with a similar room and receiver (Sony STR-DN850). I like the sound of his setup and the feel the FH6-C do a good job as rears, so I'm considering those, but I figured I'd probably choose a non-angled version of whatever front in-ceiling speakers I choose to keep things similar.

Any opinions on the Paradigm H65-A or Polk 900-LS or any other angled front in-ceiling speaker? Also, any recommendations for in-ceiling surround speakers?
I have read all the posts about your setup and most of the suggestions are spot on. What we don't know is if you are a "high end" type of consumer. Your desired outcomes with placement, sound and room acoustics is a declaration of war on one course of action or the other. Unfortunately, if you are going to have the look you want, you are not going to have the sound you want. If you have the sound you want, you won't get the look you want. Is this a temporary condition, or are you planning on making any other upgrades or changes in the future? Good speakers in a poor environment won't help you much. I have had friends and customers (I install HT systems as a hobby for the past 30 years) try all in ceiling applications and even all wireless applications only to regret their decisions because the sound was "funny". Until you can provide a better space for your HT system, I don't see how you will benefit from a 7.1 or a 9.1 system. A 5.1 system is your best bet because the surround channels are in mono and are not really fussy about placement. Anyone telling you something different may be selling you snake oil. Your needs simply do not require any overkill or complicated upgrades. The speakers suggested to you are good choices, but the sound bar craze will die out hopefully soon. If you were not happy with those over hyped anemic Bose speakers, a sound bar is not much of an improvement. Spend your budget on good quality center, front L/R speakers and a good subwoofer. I don't think what you use as rear speakers in a 5.1 system are critical. If your crossover is set at 80Hz, you just need rears that can be driven loud because of the proximity to the listener and balanced with the sound pressure of the mains. Invest in a good sound pressure level meter and set your calibrations accordingly. You did not mention if your space is lively or dead acoustical space. From what I have read, your space is more than likely a lively space. Are your floors hard or something muffling like carpet? Do you have a lot of reflective surfaces like concrete walls or pillars? Take this into consideration as well.
I hope this helps. Keep us posted.
bajafx4 and Alanlee like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGilmour View Post
This should solve your problem.

the Soundolier wireless speaker floor lamp could work. Especially as a surround . The height is right. As is the price.
They look nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Soundolier-2-4.../dp/B000NLLXNO

Less floor space than my solution and (wahoo) no wires.

Do you use them? How do they sound?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	surround small.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1160842  

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #35 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Also, any recommendations for in-ceiling surround speakers?
I think Martin Logan in-walls will sound better than the Golden Ear as their Motion tweeters are much larger. Plus, their bezel is only 2-3mm. Mine disappear into the wall

www.martinlogan.com/architectural/stealth/index.php I'm sure you can find a used pair for about the same as a new GEar
post #36 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. My room won't allow for anything else other than ceiling speakers for the surrounds... well at least not the left rear. There's no wall where the left rear needs to be, so I currently have it mounted on the closest wall that's on the other side of my dining room ~20 ft. away... more than 2x as far as any other speaker in the setup.
Stands?
post #37 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 11:00 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
I have used the Paradigm and its 30 degree angle I would consider a minimum for this type of application.
I have 2 Paragidm 30 degree ceiling speakers and i love them. they're aimed just right.
post #38 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Tough call on your situation. In ceiling speakers are horrible for surround sound but will be fine for music. As far as HT if you can go in wall at ear level even if the wall is far away maybe some good EQ can give you a decent result? In ceiling must be considered as last option. Good luck.
post #39 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
typical 5.1 > sound-bar > ceiling

I have read where ceiling speakers end up sounding like intercoms.

There are center channels with Atmos firing speakers coming out with the repsone to Atmos and STS-X systems. You might to look at these.This way you can really fill the front and heights.
post #40 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonsdad View Post
typical 5.1 > sound-bar > ceiling

I have read where ceiling speakers end up sounding like intercoms.
Nonsense

+ Beamax in ceiling 120" screen
+ Ceiling mounted Yamaha YSP 5100 8.1 Soundbar
+ BK XXLS400-DF Subwoofer 400W
+ Panasonic PT-AE400EH projector

= NO WIRES, WIFE HAPPY, FAMILY OVER THE MOON!

Pictures in attachment

Eddy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160104_193215.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1161194   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160104_193238.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1161202   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160104_193201.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1161210   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160104_193147.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1161218  
post #41 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by routerunner View Post
Nonsense

+ Beamax in ceiling 120" screen
+ Ceiling mounted Yamaha YSP 5100 8.1 Soundbar
+ BK XXLS400-DF Subwoofer 400W
+ Panasonic PT-AE400EH projector

= NO WIRES, WIFE HAPPY, FAMILY OVER THE MOON!

Pictures in attachment

Eddy
I did not see any flush mounted ceiling speakers in your photos. Ceiling mounted is not the same as in ceiling. Original poster was asking about a complete 5.1 IN the ceiling speakers.

Last edited by landonsdad; 01-04-2016 at 01:02 PM.
post #42 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 01:33 PM

Fine for most purposes, true audiophiles can modify them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
They look nice.

Less floor space than my solution and (wahoo) no wires.

Do you use them? How do they sound?
They sound fine for surrounds off a typical AV certainly do a better job than 90% of in ceiling speakers.

You can modify i.e. Change the drivers and get better sound, you could ,, you could also make your own if you were so inclined.

I am audio show tuner for hi end audio shows like CES, RMAF, THE SHOW NEWPORT etc... I generally prefer better for myself and for my close friends, but often people asked me for recommendations and use these successfully. This is not true audiophile sound.

Then again I wouldn't consider anyone that's trying to do typical home theater reading home theater magazines to be an audiophile. .

No offense here... Please.. It's just my definition. It is very hard to get convincing real music from most HT set ups. I find the HT users who get the best HT multi channel sound were very good at 2 channel first.

Technology does not obsolete quality.
post #43 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I really appreciate all the suggestions and recommendations, but now I'm more confused than I was when I started this thread. In all honesty though, I really do appreciate the help.

I attached a photo of the room that my wife took at Christmas... it's not the best picture, but you get the idea. The listening area is approximately 16 x 16, but it's open to the dining room behind the recliner where the photo was taken from. Earlier in this thread I stated that I didn't have anywhere for my left rear, but meant my right rear; it's currently on the wall behind and to the right of the photographer and quite a distance from the listening area. The front Bose 301s were put away for Christmas to make room for decorations and I don't think they're going to make it back out (LOL), but they usually sit on short stands on both sides of the fireplace hearth. The speakers on the wall are just something I was experimenting with the day the photo was taken. They're old Logitech THX speakers from a Z-560 computer system. They actually sound decent when positioned properly, but they don't sound correct the way they are oriented in the photo... I think it's because their sound is crossing the room in front of the listener and screwing up the left/right perception. My subwoofer you also can't see, but it's on the floor to the left of the fireplace and the Mythos 7 is on the mantle below the TV. The reclining chair and the sofa seat closest to the recliner are really the only two seating positions that I'm concerned about in regard to sound.

As I mentioned, I appreciate all the help from you guys and am gathering and feel confident in the fact that my best bet for an in-ceiling LCR setup is three GoldenEar HTR 7000s. With that said, I don't think I'm willing to drop $1500 on three of them. I wish I could try the half price ($250 ea) Paradigm H65-A in a LCR setup first and then swap them out for three GoldenEar HTR 7000 if I don't like them. The problem is that the cutout for the H65-A is larger than the cutout for the HTR 7000 and I don't want to get into patching and repainting drywall. Long story short, I'm considering abandoning the in-ceiling LCR idea and just get two new floor standing speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjr3d
This thread feels a bit like pandering to the 'wife' with speakers out of the way.
Was it that obvious?

In regard to floor standing speakers, they must be "attractive" and can't be too big to appeal to the wife. I've sold her on the look and size of the Definitive Technology BP towers which I believe is due mainly to their slim <6" width and <40" moderate height. I'll admit that I like the look of the BP-8040ST too and it appears to use the same, or similar, 1" tweeter and 3.5" midrange driver as my existing Mythos 7 center, so that wouldn't need to be upgraded. I know the BP towers aren't highly regarded because of their integrated powered subwoofer, but in regard to a LCR setup, how would a pair of BP towers and a Mythos 7 center compare to anything else mentioned thus far in this thread?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0605.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	1161322  
Alanlee likes this.

Last edited by bajafx4; 01-04-2016 at 03:22 PM.
post #44 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Here is a photo of my kef e305.

post #45 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 05:51 PM

Your post reminds me of my very similar situation a few years back and I went a direction that most on this forum would dismiss all the way around but it worked for me then and I still love my setup. Would you love it, I have no idea but the key is to remember what is important to you. You can't have a Corvette that holds 8 people nor can you have a minivan that does 0-60 in under 4 seconds and the Kia won't perform like the Porche etc.,etc., etc. You've defined your budget, now refine your priorities. I have a Mirage system (most on this forum loathe the Mirage omnidirectional sound) but my room is very open and I didn't want imposing looking stuff (and Mirage was still a prdoct line but I digress). I have two Mirage OS3 towers for my L/R and then I did Mirage ceiling Omnican OC-55's for my center and two rears. I added a Powersound Audio sub to bring in the bottom end. The Mirage ceiling speakers are in cans and they sit down a little from the cieling about an inch, not quite flush and have the directional tweeters. My center is about a foot above the top of my screen and pointed toward the main listening area about 13 feet away. Does it sound like an audiophile systems worth $25k, $50k or more, of course not. Does it sound great? Yeah, I think so and so does my family and friends and I imagine 97% of the rest of the western world would think so too. Does it look great and take up almost no floor space? Without question. You have to remember that this group, while amazingly helpful and they were are are still helpful to me, are the other 2-3% of critical listeners that want to be completely imersed in every aspect of the exprerience and are extremely picky. Not saying it's a bad thing and it's why I still visit and subscribe, but when you start by saying you want to budget about a grand, this is likely not the audience that will give you the answer you want to hear and will make you more confused than ever. If you go in ceiling, the tweeters need to aim and they need to be built into cans.I say find someplace with a good return policy and brush up on your drywall repair skills.
post #46 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I used the GE XL LCR soundbar and 2 700HT ceiling rears for a similar situation. Is it as good as floor and wall? No. Is it good for $3000 with a new sub? Oh yes. Better than any big box store crap.
post #47 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 08:27 PM

http://www.audioholics.com/outdoor-s...peaker-preview

These seem to get a good review and seem to have a great price. I am looking at these for my height speakers.

This is on the high side.

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-rcs-ii

Last edited by landonsdad; 01-04-2016 at 08:32 PM.
post #48 of 84 Old 01-04-2016, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dubb View Post
I have personally heard these as rears and throught the sounded great.

http://www.htd.com/Products/high-def...iling-speakers

Probably work fine as fronts too as good as any other in ceiling if you can handle the center channel mismatch.

I have also heard the monoprice angled in ceiling speakers as fronts and tears and they were fine too but it was not really a movie setting..

The big thing with in ceiling is to box them off if you can.

I've been looking at the aim65s for a while.
post #49 of 84 Old 01-05-2016, 12:11 AM

Can't say I've read all the responses, but I'd agree with the front L/R towers and a separate center channel near the TV. I use tower L/Rs and my old B&W DM601s as a 'phantom mono' center channel (they're 4 ohm speakers, I wired them in series to the C channel output on the AVR). They sit right next to the TV on either side. Sound great.

Our new house had a 7.1 channel (7 ceiling speakers + powered sub, all Yamaha) option which I went for. I only use the L/R surrounds and rears now but whenever I get around to it, will try the ceiling L/R as 'height' channels (9.1 Denon AVR, no Atmos). So at the moment I'm not using the front ceiling speakers at all. I got the option figuring it would be a good selling point as we're thinking of moving again in about 5 years.

Yes, the surround/rears do sound 'above' us more than is 'correct' but it isn't bad at all to me. Maybe I'm not that picky. I did the design according to Dolby standards for angles and distances (at least the rear/surrounds are along a circle around the central main listening position) with the front L/R at the same width as the surrounds. The ceilings have pointable tweeters but I haven't even checked to see if the installer pointed them ... but things do sound very good to me.

Here's a plan/design I gave to the installer. Actually it's a composite of 3 slides, hopefully it's understandable. For ceiling speakers (at least for what the installer was going to use) I needed to put them next to a ceiling joist. IIUC there are 'span' H-shaped brackets that can be used as well ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Floor Plan HOME THEATER setup 24 inch joists (1 page).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	1162938  
bajafx4 likes this.

Last edited by Rick1958; 01-05-2016 at 12:15 AM.
post #50 of 84 Old 01-05-2016, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I am a bit shocked at the things being said in this thread

Here are the facts:

(1) Floorstanding speakers are better than in-ceiling, that is a fact. Let's not try to debate that.

(2) Some in-ceiling setups sound FANTASTIC - if you havent heard such a setup, it does not mean it doesnt exist.

(3) inclined in-ceiling speakers are the way to go - the sound will not feel like it's fully coming from the ceiling (only slightly, assuming you position the speakers properly)

(4) In most cases, in-ceilings will sound much better than soundbars - you cannot compete with in-ceiling's sound separation/imaging, actual surrounds placed behind you (vs simulated surrounds), and the fact that you can get 7-9 inch drivers in in-ceilings (vs typically tiny ones in soundbars).

My personal experience/setup:

I originally had a goldenear setup comprising of two huge Triton One speakers (~$2500 each), a large supercenter XL speaker, and HTR7000 in-ceiling surrounds (~$500 each, 30 degrees inclined) . The front speakers really physically dominated the room, which i didnt like - especially with kids around. One day, I decided to stand next to my center speaker and face my surrounds, while playing stereo music only in my surrounds. Then tried the same thing for a movie (2 channel audio for testing). I was really surprised how good the HTR7000s were - they were not THAT much inferior to my Triton Ones, only slightly (assuming they are coupled with a quality sub). The sound was clear/airy, imaging was amazing, bass good enough for music but needs a sub for movies, etc. As such, I decided to sell my Tritons and center speaker, and went with the HTR7000 in-ceilings all around + sub. Aside from the fantastic aesthetic factor and saving $4500 from the sale, the system really sounds amazing and certainly does not sound it's coming fully from the ceiling (only slightly so)

Many very positive experiences from Goldenear's atmos all in-ceiling setup can be found online if you google it

PS: Martin Logans are 2-3X more expensive, including if you check ebay. My experience with their floorstanding speakers is that their sweetspot is very narrow, but in-ceiling could be different

PPS: If I bolted a black colored sound bar on my white ceiling, my wife would kill me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	invisa_htr7000_overview_image.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1163050  
bajafx4 likes this.

Last edited by twinturbo11; 01-05-2016 at 02:24 AM.
post #51 of 84 Old 01-05-2016, 02:35 AM

Liked: 1
I've been using Definitive Technology's Di8R ceiling speakers for my surrounds and I love them!
I even got a pair for my bedroom for music and I love the sound.
It has very good projection for a ceiling speaker.
I used to totally dislike (hate may be a better word) ceiling speakers for anything resembling close to 'hi-fi'.
The Di8R changed everything!

My next buy would be yet another pair of Di8R for front height for Atmos setup.

These fall within your budget and looks very nice with the white magnetic covers.
post #52 of 84 Old 01-05-2016, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You guys have seen my room in post #43 of this thread. Can I ask you to please rank the following setups on order from best to worst? Option 3b and 4b are just swapping out the GoldenEar rears for Paradigm rears since there are no other GoldenEar speakers in those options.

1) Three in-ceiling HTR 7000 for LCR and two in-ceiling HTR 7000 for rears.
2) The XL GoldenEar LCR cinema bar and two in-ceiling HTR 7000 for rears.
3a) Keep my Definitive Technology Mythos 7 center, add two Definitive Technology BP-8040ST towers, and two in-ceiling HTR 7000 for rears.
3b) Keep my Definitive Technology Mythos 7 center, add two Definitive Technology BP-8040ST towers, and two in-ceiling Paradigm H65-A for rears.
4a) Keep my Definitive Technology Mythos 7 center, add two Definitive Technology Mythos 6 mains on stands, and two in-ceiling HTR 7000 for rears.
4b) Keep my Definitive Technology Mythos 7 center, add two Definitive Technology Mythos 6 mains on stands, and two in-ceiling Paradigm H65-A for rears.

All items are hyperlinked to manufacturers specification page.

Thanks in advance,
Rich
post #53 of 84 Old 01-05-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzzzk View Post
I've been using Definitive Technology's Di8R ceiling speakers for my surrounds and I love them!
I have the DefTec DI8R also! I have them in my kitchen. Their 8-inch drivers give out a nice, strong sound with good bass. They are excellent for music listening. But for movie experience, ideally the in-ceiling speaker should have an inclined driver and tweeter pointed towards the listener.
bajafx4 likes this.
post #54 of 84 Old 01-05-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
You guys have seen my room in post #43 of this thread. Can I ask you to please rank the following setups on order from best to worst? Option 3b and 4b are just swapping out the GoldenEar rears for Paradigm rears since there are no other GoldenEar speakers in those options.

1) Three in-ceiling HTR 7000 for LCR and two in-ceiling HTR 7000 for rears.
2) The XL GoldenEar LCR cinema bar and two in-ceiling HTR 7000 for rears.
3a) Keep my Definitive Technology Mythos 7 center, add two Definitive Technology BP-8040ST towers, and two in-ceiling HTR 7000 for rears.
3b) Keep my Definitive Technology Mythos 7 center, add two Definitive Technology BP-8040ST towers, and two in-ceiling Paradigm H65-A for rears.
4a) Keep my Definitive Technology Mythos 7 center, add two Definitive Technology Mythos 6 mains on stands, and two in-ceiling HTR 7000 for rears.
4b) Keep my Definitive Technology Mythos 7 center, add two Definitive Technology Mythos 6 mains on stands, and two in-ceiling Paradigm H65-A for rears.

All items are hyperlinked to manufacturers specification page.

Thanks in advance,
Rich
As an owner of both def tec and goldenear (GE), I would not recommend you to mix the two. GE's sonically distinct tweeters behave and sound too different to def tec's traditional metal tweeters. For a cohesive 360 degree experience among all the speakers, get either one or the other. Having owned both, I would totally recommend Goldenear all around.

I compared the GE soundbar for fronts/center vs in-ceiling HTR7000 - and there is no comparison: In-Ceilings are much more powerful than soundbars with better imaging (see my first comment on this thread). GE speakers tend to perform exceedingly well, the wider you set them apart (mine are 13 feet apart) - this is quite well known.

I am personally using the GE invisa 650s for the atmos height speakers (because I want it to sound from above), but HTR7000 for everything else.
bajafx4 likes this.
post #55 of 84 Old 01-05-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo11 View Post
I have the DefTec DI8R also! I have them in my kitchen. Their 8-inch drivers give out a nice, strong sound with good bass. They are excellent for music listening. But for movie experience, ideally the in-ceiling speaker should have an inclined driver and tweeter pointed towards the listener.
Yeah, too bad the tweeters for the Di8R did not have the ability to rotate to point to the listener.
Even then, turns out the actual performance was better than I expected without this feature. There is a switch setting to turn the tweeters louder/softer...useful if the tweets are not pointing to listener. Had these for 2 years and still love them.
Still way better than my four Wharferdale dipole surrounds I used to have.
Surround gunshots/lighting/whatever is precise enough for me. Playing the Atmos demo, the lightning and rain effect is very realistic coming from above, even without the Front Height atmos speakers.
If you're getting the Def Tech front/center (LCR), you should definitely match it with the Di8R.
If you're getting the GE LCR, then match it with GE surrounds.

I kind of like the Sonance 8" too, but the Def Tech sounds better. The speaker grille is attractive too (plus looks gets thumbs up approval from the other half )
I'm thinking to audition the B&W ceilings next...
bajafx4 likes this.
post #56 of 84 Old 01-05-2016, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thumbs up

Monoprice sells some very descent ceiling and wall speakers for like nothing. I've been happy with them in my bedroom anyway. They'll handle plenty of juice too. Parts Express has ceiling speakers also, though I haven't heard them.

If you are on a budget, which it doesn't look like you are, this would leave more for the L,C,R speakers or a really good sub etc.

Surround sound is just that anyway. Surround SOUND. Dialogue and bass is where you need the most attention. (For me anyway) but I sure would like to drop my ceilings down to the wall where they are coded for. Needless to say I am enveloped with sound.......... . My TV is mounted about 20 inches from my 8" ceiling and tilted toward the bed. Lots of popcorn in bed.
bajafx4 likes this.
post #57 of 84 Old 01-05-2016, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
love the room - with all the ascetic appeal in there with the stone and wood i would not bother with towers anyway. even the best looking ones would distract from the homeyness of the room - in our home theater we have the paradigm cs-60r-30 -

keep in mind we are in a 12x17 dedicated room but went with these as i wanted a bigger screen and i had to have my gear movies in the room - on the sides and under the screen so the ceilings made sense. I was worried how they would sound as we had towers in my last home but after a move and a few xbox sessions i dont get the ceiling feeling. just good sound to enjoy. they are angled 30 degrees which is a big plus and would not bother with ceilings that were not. the speakers are round and have a white grill that i just removed to expose the black speaker so it is not noticeable. admittedly the surrounds are not as punchy but when seated in my second row they sound wonderful - movies and games - they do offer a ceiling sub but it is out of my price so will be adding a floor sub when the room is complete - check out page 3 of my build thread to pics of the speakers to get a idea what they look like,.
bajafx4 likes this.
post #58 of 84 Old 01-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I really appreciate all the suggestions and recommendations, but now I'm more confused than I was when I started this thread. In all honesty though, I really do appreciate the help.

I attached a photo of the room that my wife took at Christmas... it's not the best picture, but you get the idea. ?
Uh oh - you have another problem. Is the dog going to appreciate you putting more speakers in his bedroom?

After seeing your walls, I'm thinking you might try slipping a speaker mounted on the ceiling just to the right of the chair right of the Christmas tree. Not an in-ceiling speaker, but a box speaker. You know those poles they use for mounting fans that get the fan closer to the living area. Ok - Ok - Ok - I know crazy huh? Well maybe not. It looks like you have 8 foot ceilings. You build or find a speaker that closely matches the wood in the ceiling, and then extend the speaker down about 12-18 inches from the ceiling.

You can test this idea by temporarily putting a speaker on a ladder next to the chair, and then experiment with distance from the chair and distance from the ceiling.

I can see it now; you have a happy wife because she does not have to clean around the junk you put on the floor. I can't guarantee the dog will like it.
bajafx4 likes this.

post #59 of 84 Old 01-05-2016, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1179 View Post
also the majority of it is psycoacoutics. if you have a high end 3.1 system or even full range stereo set up right you can be enveloped in sound as well. I would post picks of my set up but I am waiting for CEDIA to roll out a bunch of speaker designs and equipment, automation, distribution, etc. the lcrs are 2 10s, 2 5.25s and a special tweeter with some cool mods no one has seen yet, 2 15" subs with a extended low frequency circuit, changed up the surrounds a bit to what I think fit the room best - atmos spec is 16 full range drivers in a duel line array and 4 custom coax speakers for more boom. all driven by monoblocks or amps with a few amps in it like the lcrs are tri amped but in one module. All fed from Benchmark adda converters until I can make something better. no DSP all analog circuits.

WOW, just wow.
post #60 of 84 Old 01-05-2016, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Love the HTD aims!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscurtiss View Post
I've been looking at the aim65s for a while.
I have them!! I just installed them 3 months ago in our new house's family room. Room is about 15' x 18' x 9' ceilings , marble floorings with one side open to kitchen. I have 3 HD-R65AIMs for my F/C/L channels and regular HD-R65 for my rears (hard to see in the photo but you get the idea of the size of the room). I am so amazed with the sound! Blew my expectations away. The aim speakers does make you feel as the sound was coming from my TV. I have the Sony 79XBR900 and my guests last Christmas and New Year were curious and in-awe why my TV sound was so rich and full. They thought the speakers on the TV were great and they didn't see or even thought I had in-ceiling speakers as they blended undetected in the ceiling. The reviews on it were spot on with one reviewer saying he can't tell the difference from his high-end system costing 10 times more, lol! Love the system and price. The best part was WAF (wife approval factor) passed with flying colors! Sorry, my post sounds like a review of the HTD speakers but just wanted to share how good they are. But looks like the OP is foregoing in-ceiling option.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160105_172331.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	1164938  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page