Subwoofer died after one year - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Dargent0628
  • 1 Post By ccguy
  • 3 Post By callas01

post #1 of 8 Old 01-05-2016, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Subwoofer died after one year

We have a subwoofer from Paradigm cinema something. Anyway it stopped working after one year but it was like 1 year and 2 months or something. We hardly used due to my son being sick a lot the first year. So anyway. Our AV dealer only has 1 year warranty. They tried to fix it but said they can't fix it and if we want it is our responsibility to send it to Paradigm and it probably isn't worth the shipping but it is under warranty. I see this was a $350 sub woofer and now the warranty is no good? Does this sound right? Oh and to top it off our AV dealer said we have to pay $100 to get our broken subwoofer back if we want to send it in ourselves, since they spent time 'trying' to fix it. I am so upset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-05-2016, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Was it on all the time?

My dirt cheap wooden sub-woofer lasted several years. Sure was not good for high volume but I dont play loud anyway. Kinda miss it, had no hum which is why I had it turned on all the time which might of been a mistake...
post #3 of 8 Old 01-05-2016, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
Was it on all the time?

My dirt cheap wooden sub-woofer lasted several years. Sure was not good for high volume but I dont play loud anyway. Kinda miss it, had no hum which is why I had it turned on all the time which might of been a mistake...
No actually we rarely used in the first year I would say maybe 20 times max, our son was in the hospital most of the first year and we were rarely home and if we were we weren't downstairs in the movie room. Also we didn't play it loud either. SO SAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-05-2016, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambergnj View Post
We have a subwoofer from Paradigm cinema something. Anyway it stopped working after one year but it was like 1 year and 2 months or something. We hardly used due to my son being sick a lot the first year. So anyway. Our AV dealer only has 1 year warranty. They tried to fix it but said they can't fix it and if we want it is our responsibility to send it to Paradigm and it probably isn't worth the shipping but it is under warranty. I see this was a $350 sub woofer and now the warranty is no good? Does this sound right? Oh and to top it off our AV dealer said we have to pay $100 to get our broken subwoofer back if we want to send it in ourselves, since they spent time 'trying' to fix it. I am so upset.
If this is indeed a paradigm cinema subwoofer (which does list for$349 on the official paradigm site) it has a three year warranty. Did you register it with paradigm? Regardless, your dealer had a record of the purchase. Go to the paradigm site and print out the warranty statement and take it back to your dealer and tell them politely and firmly that this is THEIR problem. Have them call paradigm while you stand there. Get names. Get **** in writing. Your dealer seems like a...jerk. Don't put up with it. Good luck.
newc33 and Jonas2 like this.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-05-2016, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambergnj View Post
This does not sound even close to right. If you purchased the sub new you have a 3 year warranty on a powered sub from Paradigm. The local a/v dealer shouldn't have even tried to fix it if that warranty is in effect unless they are an authorized warranty repair provider. if they convinced you it wasn't worth shipping and to let them try at your cost, then they are dishonest at best. The cinema sub only weighs about 21 lbs, ground shipping through ups or usps shouldn't cost that much even if you had to ship to Canada. Are they even an authorized Paradigm dealer? I would demand they return the sub to you at no charge and contact Paradigm. Attempting to repair a still warranted product and charge the customer is a shady move in my opinion and then to tell you "we can't fix it but if you don't pay for the labor time we're keeping it" might not be illegal if you signed some type of repair authorization agreement but definitely isn't a move a reputable dealer interested in providing good customer service would make.
I have Paradigm speakers and sub and I can tell you that while I haven't had any warranty repair needs, the times I have contacted support there for a few issues they were more than helpful and accommodating.
Taking Notes! likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-05-2016, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked: 990
Powered paradigm subwoofers have a 3 yr warranty. I would call the dealer and tell him/her that they must honor the warranty and that you won't pay a penny outside of their shipping costs that you've verified as accurate costs. If they give you grief I would call paradigm corporate offices and provide the details of the issue with that dealers name and location. Further explain how much you have loved your paradigm products but if this can't be resolved the right way, they will not only lose a customer but you won't recommend their products to anyone again (something you've done whether you have or not). Be it on Facebook, Twitter, or forums likes these. Maybe even mention that you were considering moving up to the monitor or new prestige line in the near future but if this is the kind of "warranty" service they and their network of dealers are going to provide then you will simply take your business to other competitors.

My first turntable I bought online for cheap, I broke the tonearm cable and I was looking to replace the wires. The online dealer, useless. Called my local dealer I did a little business with and he called Sumiko the importer and asked for a "favor" for his "wife's cousin" they repaired it, put on a better tonearm and sent it back. They invoiced him $50 and he asked if I'd cover it but didn't demand that I did. Of course I paid him! I use this guy a lot and refer a lot of business to him. That's how you should be taken care of.
Zorba922, mdbrown and Jonas2 like this.

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S

Last edited by callas01; 01-05-2016 at 08:49 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-06-2016, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Just reinforcing what others have already said. Paradigm is a good company, you dealer sounds like someone to stay away from.
It makes no sense for your dealer to expend resources on an in warranty sub unless you agreed to it. They should not charge you unless you had already agreed to their terms, and even so, it sounds like they are just playing you for money
Did they even diagnose it and tell you what was wrong? Or just that they could not fix it?.
Last, if I interpret correctly you have to pay $100 to get your sub back, but they won't charge you if you leave it with them? That is conspicuously bogus.

Subs are expensive to ship, but on the order of $50 or less each way (assuming ~40 pounds, no way shipping would exceed $350 round trip!).

Many sub companies will send you a replacement amp or driver after asking you to do a couple of troubleshooting tests; but my experience is mainly with ID.

I might call Paradigm first, just to get an idea of their SOP before dealing with the jerk dealership again.

You might even tell Paradigm that you want help dealing with the dealer!

Cheers,
Kurt (aka KEW)

Last edited by Taking Notes!; 01-06-2016 at 09:30 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-06-2016, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Sure doesn't sound like a place I would want to shop.I own lots of Paradigm gear and have never had an issue with any of it and my PW 2500 is 17 years old and it still shakes the room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page