ELAC Uni-FI B5 Bookshelf Speaker at CES 2016 - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 608Likes

post #271 of 1615 Old 03-22-2016, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeep127 View Post
Thanks for the info. Of course, I'll try it out first before I go drop some money. Funny, I had the same experience as you in that I replaced an older Onkyo 5.1 which was rated at 100 watts/ch and the 50W rated Marantz was louder and much better sounding IMO.

I have a good sized living room that's open to the kitchen and I occasionally crank it, so I do need some volume. But I'll have these crossed around 80hz which should help some. I'll report back when I get the speakers. I see eventually upgrading to an external amp. I'm a little worried though as I just recently read a comment where someone went from a Marantz AVR to an Emotiva external and actually preferred the sound of the Marantz.
I don't trust power ratings on receivers. They're almost always listed as 1 channel driven (which is never really happening) and sometimes you can find 2 channels driven. Anytime I look for receivers I make sure to get one with pre-outs so I can add external amps. I am pleased though with my Pioneer SC1323 internal class D amps. I don't even remember what their specs are but its been the best sounding receiver I've had. I've never had any sort of strain at high volumes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1615 Old 03-22-2016, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by abd1 View Post
I don't trust power ratings on receivers. They're almost always listed as 1 channel driven (which is never really happening) and sometimes you can find 2 channels driven. Anytime I look for receivers I make sure to get one with pre-outs so I can add external amps. I am pleased though with my Pioneer SC1323 internal class D amps. I don't even remember what their specs are but its been the best sounding receiver I've had. I've never had any sort of strain at high volumes.
One reason I went with Marantz this time around was that of all the players in the sub $1k AVR space (i.e the "budget" class) they seem to be the most honest spec wise. Whether it be their lower or higher end stuff, they don't play the "100 watts" game and go for a bit of musical sound quality/accuracy even in the budget space...
post #273 of 1615 Old 03-22-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeep127 View Post
I have a good sized living room that's open to the kitchen and I occasionally crank it, so I do need some volume. But I'll have these crossed around 80hz which should help some. I'll report back when I get the speakers. I see eventually upgrading to an external amp. I'm a little worried though as I just recently read a comment where someone went from a Marantz AVR to an Emotiva external and actually preferred the sound of the Marantz.
Like you, my living room is large and opens to a kitchen which itself is large. I have an insanely cheap Emotiva a-100 (rated @ 50w 8 ohm, 80w 4 ohm if memory serves) that I use to power my Elac Debut B6's - this is my office "computer speaker" set up. It sounds insanely good for the price. I like the sound of my B6's through my Emotiva better than my Marantz (which I tried just for comparison), though I admit that the Marantz did OK itself at moderate volume. The Emotiva is underrated fer sur, and I am using an iFI DAC (fed via computer) so the input is good. I wonder if your friend was hearing the input into the Emotiva (which I assume was the pre-out from the Marantz) more than the amp itself? For myself, the Debut's hooked up to the Marantz sound "mid-fi". In my Emotiva/iFI chain they are surely in the "hi-fi" space and should scare some much more expensive competition.
bigjeep127 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 1615 Old 03-22-2016, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by crenca View Post
Like you, my living room is large and opens to a kitchen which itself is large. I have an insanely cheap Emotiva a-100 (rated @ 50w 8 ohm, 80w 4 ohm if memory serves) that I use to power my Elac Debut B6's - this is my office "computer speaker" set up. It sounds insanely good for the price. I like the sound of my B6's through my Emotiva better than my Marantz (which I tried just for comparison), though I admit that the Marantz did OK itself at moderate volume. The Emotiva is underrated fer sur, and I am using an iFI DAC (fed via computer) so the input is good. I wonder if your friend was hearing the input into the Emotiva (which I assume was the pre-out from the Marantz) more than the amp itself? For myself, the Debut's hooked up to the Marantz sound "mid-fi". In my Emotiva/iFI chain they are surely in the "hi-fi" space and should scare some much more expensive competition.
Wow, that's great to hear. I still have no experience with Emotiva aside from a control freak that I use (and LOVE) for my computer monitors. You may have convinced me to give the A-100 a shot for the Uni-Fi's I have coming. I had eyed it for a bedroom stereo build I have planned, so I guess I can use it for that if I don't like the way it powers the Elac's. Of course, the XPA-200 would be PLENTY powerful, that price though.
post #275 of 1615 Old 03-23-2016, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I got an Emotive a-100 4 months ago and have been really impressed. Sale priced at $149, 50 real watts @ 8ohms, volume control, looks great, what's not to like.

I'm thinking of going with the new minidsp 2x4 HD as a DAC with all the room correction & bass management apps minidsp has on their site. Just add their UMIK-1 for calibration and the total pkg is $275. I could spend hours on the minidsp site looking at all their options, both hardware and software. ICE amp plates with or w/o dsp for $175-$275 each! Great reviews from all the DIY forums

But also, check out ELAC's new option to add power modules to each of their speakers. They're supposed to have bass management via low power bluetooth. Lots of great options out there.

crenca - I've been looking at the iFi units too and have read nothing but great things about ALL of their gear. I'm surprised they don't have any small amp options. Though their focus is on headphones it would seem they'ed make a killing with two mono amps flanking one of their iDACs.
post #276 of 1615 Old 03-23-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolPolk View Post
I got an Emotive a-100 4 months ago and have been really impressed. Sale priced at $149, 50 real watts @ 8ohms, volume control, looks great, what's not to like.

I'm thinking of going with the new minidsp 2x4 HD as a DAC with all the room correction & bass management apps minidsp has on their site. Just add their UMIK-1 for calibration and the total pkg is $275. I could spend hours on the minidsp site looking at all their options, both hardware and software. ICE amp plates with or w/o dsp for $175-$275 each! Great reviews from all the DIY forums

But also, check out ELAC's new option to add power modules to each of their speakers. They're supposed to have bass management via low power bluetooth. Lots of great options out there.

crenca - I've been looking at the iFi units too and have read nothing but great things about ALL of their gear. I'm surprised they don't have any small amp options. Though their focus is on headphones it would seem they'ed make a killing with two mono amps flanking one of their iDACs.
miniDSP HD??? Oh come on! Here I was, sitting around ready to wire up my miniDSP balanced with no clue that they had just released that. You come along and now I've gotta sell mine and buy that, ahhhhh!!!
post #277 of 1615 Old 03-24-2016, 10:51 AM

Just received this via email...

"Hi Everyone, I have an update on the availability of the Uni-Fi series of speakers. Unfortunately, there is a delay in receiving our first shipment of products. Our new expected delivery date is the very end of April."

Of course I'm a little bummed but it's not surprising. These things happen all the time. Will just have to be patient! Thank you for the update Elac.
hobsocc7 and spinnin like this.
post #278 of 1615 Old 03-29-2016, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
I wonder how three of the uni-fi C5s, standing upright, would work in a LCR configuration, behind a AT screen. At $350 each--as opposed to $500 each for the uni-fi F5, could be and interesting setup if the C5 could be used vertically. Thoughts?
atabea...
Did you get any response to this question? I was just thinking the same thing and came here thinking someone probably asked this question already.

Anyone...?

clancyCJF
post #279 of 1615 Old 03-29-2016, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancyCJF View Post
atabea...
Did you get any response to this question? I was just thinking the same thing and came here thinking someone probably asked this question already.

Anyone...?
Can't find the original post.

Anyway, for the OP, there would be no reason to use a center channel speaker behind an AT screen. 3 bookshelf models would be ideal.

No real need for towers either if you have a good sub or two.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #280 of 1615 Old 03-29-2016, 01:15 PM

Well I just pre-ordered the center as well. This forum is bad news for my wallet.
post #281 of 1615 Old 03-29-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Can't find the original post.

Anyway, for the OP, there would be no reason to use a center channel speaker behind an AT screen. 3 bookshelf models would be ideal.

No real need for towers either if you have a good sub or two.
Original post is #203 here
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post41440617

In my case it would not be behind a screen but a more typical of L-C-R with HD/4k TV. I was mostly curious if the additional mid/woofer would add anything to the front soundstage? IE: something in between a UB5 and a UF5. I'm new to Elac products but a comparison (at least in theory) might be Elac's own line 70, 240.3, 400 and 500 series where they offer a smaller floor standing model.

clancyCJF
post #282 of 1615 Old 03-29-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
atabea...

Anyone...?
Clancy, I was hoping to hear some "expert" opinion on this concept but, sadly, no one commented on it---until now. My thoughts were that the extra mid-bass driver would add some extra clarity, dynamics and weight. I would love hear Andrew Jones' thoughts on this though.
post #283 of 1615 Old 03-29-2016, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Clancy, I was hoping to hear some "expert" opinion on this concept but, sadly, no one commented on it---until now. My thoughts were that the extra mid-bass driver would add some extra clarity, dynamics and weight. I would love hear Andrew Jones' thoughts on this though.
IMO I don't think you would notice the extra 5.25 driver (compared to the C5). Used without a sub the tower should have more bass, mostly due to the larger enclosure. But if the cost of the C5 with stands is close to the cost of the tower, for sure get the tower.

And there should be no issue using the C5 vertically since it's a concentric design.

Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
post #284 of 1615 Old 03-29-2016, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
IMO I don't think you would notice the extra 5.25 driver (compared to the C5). Used without a sub the tower should have more bass, mostly due to the larger enclosure. But if the cost of the C5 with stands is close to the cost of the tower, for sure get the tower.

And there should be no issue using the C5 vertically since it's a concentric design.
I was actually comparing the C5 to the B5 and not the F5. I am sure the F5 Tower will provide some extra mid-bass and dynamics over both the C5 and the B5, but I would also expect similar improvements with the C5 over the B5. Does that sound right? Or would the addition of a Sub negate all the added potential the extra drivers in the C5 and F5 represent?
post #285 of 1615 Old 03-29-2016, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was actually comparing the C5 to the B5 and not the F5. I am sure the F5 Tower will provide some extra mid-bass and dynamics over both the C5 and the B5, but I would also expect similar improvements with the C5 over the B5. Does that sound right? Or would the addition of a Sub negate all the added potential the extra drivers in the C5 and F5 represent?
Honestly, I don't think you could tell between the three in a blind test using a good sub or two. I have towers mainly for aesthetics. Seems the C5 is the sweet spot since it can be used on stands or on a shelf, wall mount and has that little extra cabinet volume in case you want to do a little 2 channel no sub listening.

The best thing to do would be to buy a set of each or a pair of the B5s and a single C5 and use on B5 and the C5 as your LR and do some listening to see if you can hear a difference.

Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
post #286 of 1615 Old 03-29-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
...My thoughts were that the extra mid-bass driver would add some extra clarity, dynamics and weight. I would love hear Andrew Jones' thoughts on this though.
My thoughts exactly... would love to hear from Andrew Jones

Quote:
...And there should be no issue using the C5 vertically since it's a concentric design.
Again, My thoughts exactly... D'apolito

Quote:
Not sure why the sub would negate the additional UC5 drivers if the crossovers were set properly? Of course not having heard these yet, but in theory I agree that the UC5 used vertically as L-R should add something ??? compared to a pair of UB5s as L-R.

FWIW in my case I am not in any hurry to buy anything immediately just currently evaluating my options to get a handle on budget for a speaker upgrade later this year. So far the Uni-Fi Series sounds perfect and should be well within my budget allowing me to even add a sub or two. I will post some pictures of my current 2.0 setup along with room size and equipment list, but as it stands the room is wired for ceiling mounted L-R surrounds and ceiling mounted L-R rears which allows for phased upgrades from 5.1 to a 7.1 system. All other speakers at the front of the room will be direct/exposed wired to my Pioneer SC-27 AVR. My thought for phase one is to upgrade my current front L-R, add a center and at least 1 sub followed by a phase two that adds the surrounds and rears. the idea for phase two is to find something along the lines of an angled or adjustable ceiling mounted 2-way similar to the Paradigm CI Pro P80-A or CI Home H65-A but in the performance to value budget range of the Debut/Uni-Fi. If any one has ideas pass them along.

clancyCJF
post #287 of 1615 Old 03-29-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My thoughts exactly... would love to hear from Andrew Jones

Again, My thoughts exactly... D'apolito

Not sure why the sub would negate the additional UC5 drivers if the crossovers were set properly? Of course not having heard these yet, but in theory I agree that the UC5 used vertically as L-R should add something ??? compared to a pair of UB5s as L-R.

FWIW in my case I am not in any hurry to buy anything immediately just currently evaluating my options to get a handle on budget for a speaker upgrade later this year. So far the Uni-Fi Series sounds perfect and should be well within my budget allowing me to even add a sub or two. I will post some pictures of my current 2.0 setup along with room size and equipment list, but as it stands the room is wired for ceiling mounted L-R surrounds and ceiling mounted L-R rears which allows for phased upgrades from 5.1 to a 7.1 system. All other speakers at the front of the room will be direct/exposed wired to my Pioneer SC-27 AVR. My thought for phase one is to upgrade my current front L-R, add a center and at least 1 sub followed by a phase two that adds the surrounds and rears. the idea for phase two is to find something along the lines of an angled or adjustable ceiling mounted 2-way similar to the Paradigm CI Pro P80-A or CI Home H65-A but in the performance to value budget range of the Debut/Uni-Fi. If any one has ideas pass them along.
"Negate" was the wrong choice of word. What I was trying to say was perhaps with a capable sub, there will be no perceived advantage with a UC5 LCR or a UF5 LCR over a UB5 LCR, povided a suitable crossover was implemented. My guess is that if you have a large room the UF5 or the UC5 will be better suited, especially if you like to listen loud.
post #288 of 1615 Old 03-30-2016, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Would the B5's sound OK only being 8-10 inches from the wall? My setup room is pretty small. Someone else mentioned these speakers sound so much better at about 4 feet from the wall.

Mike

xbox/psn: duke63031
post #289 of 1615 Old 03-30-2016, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post
Would the B5's sound OK only being 8-10 inches from the wall? My setup room is pretty small. Someone else mentioned these speakers sound so much better at about 4 feet from the wall.
Mr. Jones said they only need a few inches of space behind them.
hockeynut and helvetica bold like this.

Last edited by Shadowed; 03-30-2016 at 09:12 AM.
post #290 of 1615 Old 03-30-2016, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3997 Post(s)
Liked: 2464
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post

My B6s are ok, but way better way out into the room. And I mean I'm way out into the room.

hockeynut and dsticker like this.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 03-30-2016 at 10:45 AM.
post #291 of 1615 Old 03-30-2016, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I was wondering what kind of speaker stands I should buy for the UB5's, but when I saw your pic it hit me. I'll just buy a pair of UF5's so I can set my UB5's on top!
Scotth3886 likes this.
post #292 of 1615 Old 03-30-2016, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsticker View Post
I was wondering what kind of speaker stands I should buy for the UB5's, but when I saw your pic it hit me. I'll just buy a pair of UF5's so I can set my UB5's on top!
or you could use these for UB5 stands...

dsticker and Scotth3886 like this.
post #293 of 1615 Old 03-30-2016, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3997 Post(s)
Liked: 2464
And I gotta a great idea for amps

dsticker and Shadowed like this.
post #294 of 1615 Old 03-31-2016, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Would the Elac Uni-Fis be an upgrade from the Klipsch R-28Fs?
post #295 of 1615 Old 04-01-2016, 02:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingchip161 View Post
Will the uni-fi speakers be sold through Amazon.com like the Debut line?
UB5, UF5, and UC5 are showing at Amazon with an April 30 release date.
post #296 of 1615 Old 04-01-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPlay View Post
UB5, UF5, and UC5 are showing at Amazon with an April 30 release date.
Hmm, it even says it's Amazon prime. Would we get it faster ordering from Amazon or sticking with our pre-order?
post #297 of 1615 Old 04-01-2016, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I am also looking at that. I also have to store card so I'll save 5%

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #298 of 1615 Old 04-01-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UploadComplete View Post
Would the Elac Uni-Fis be an upgrade from the Klipsch R-28Fs?
Probably. Shoot, the Debut's punch way way above their (price) weight:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/e...b6-loudspeaker

When you have a publication like Stereophile putting them in the same league as the "reference" KEF LS50's, well either Elac and Andrew have something special or they are paying Stereophile off. Since I have the Debut B6's, I can attest that they are special...
post #299 of 1615 Old 04-02-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, it seems these UNI-FIs are sold strictly in pairs, what if you only want LCRs of the UF5?
post #300 of 1615 Old 04-02-2016, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Sell one to someone who wants the same

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
elac , silliness