ELAC Uni-FI B5 Bookshelf Speaker at CES 2016 - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 608Likes

post #1591 of 1615 Old 11-14-2016, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabre View Post
I dont see them for sale anymore, but they have some new speakers out allready?
There is a new wave of reviews since october. My guess is the passive Uni-Fi's are making its entrance to some international markets. The active ones are coming soon. By the way, there are rumors about a new family of higher quality Elac (A.Jones designed) speakers for 2017. I read about it recently in two different review sites besides here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post41960033

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenTiger View Post
Any word on the Active UB5s?
I was going to get Debut B5s and a budget receiver/amp with Bluetooth just to have a stereo music setup in my small apartment, but I'll gladly pay the price premium for the actives to avoid needing to through associated electronics hell, cabling. And if he builds in wireless/Bluetooth I'll be a happy camper!
Space saving alone will be nice.
IMHO active speakers have a bright future for convenience and for quality reasons (specific amps designed for specific drivers). I recently saw an active set of KEF LS50. I am not sure about the DAC's every manufacturer is implementing, but as long as it does not add too much cost and you can attach an external one it will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1615 Old 11-15-2016, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I was moving my UB5s to another room and noticed that one of the crossovers came loose (this is a known issue with the early batches). I've had them since June and bought them through Amazon (seller was Music Direct). Has anyone else had this happen after the return period had ended? Did you return or exchange them and if you did, did you have to cover shipping (one way or both ways)? I'm wondering if I should hassle with returning them or just fix it myself.
post #1593 of 1615 Old 11-15-2016, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Just fix it, save urself some time which is money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1594 of 1615 Old 11-15-2016, 09:53 AM

I could do that, but technically, it would void the warranty. Plus, I think some people received A-stock replacements (mine are B). I emailed Elac and will see what they say.
post #1595 of 1615 Old 11-15-2016, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I think that would be covered under the warranty

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #1596 of 1615 Old 11-18-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobsocc7 View Post
I think that would be covered under the warranty

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
So I called Music Direct, they called Elac and 2 days later I had a new replacement pair of UB5 (A stock) at my doorstep. Customer service doesn't get any better than that!
khurramtm likes this.
post #1597 of 1615 Old 11-18-2016, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark754 View Post
So I called Music Direct, they called Elac and 2 days later I had a new replacement pair of UB5 (A stock) at my doorstep. Customer service doesn't get any better than that!
I had a different problem with my green UB5s. Did not get a response from ELAC so MusicDirect stepped in and helped me out. Two thumbs up for their customer service.
post #1598 of 1615 Old 11-18-2016, 10:33 AM

Yes Brooke, the CS person at MD is great. Elac didn't provide return instructions for my original pair. I emailed them to request a return address and haven't heard back yet. I think I recall reading somewhere that the customer was told he didn't need to return the old pair. Not the best management decision on their part. We'll see...
post #1599 of 1615 Old 12-15-2016, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark754 View Post
Yes Brooke, the CS person at MD is great. Elac didn't provide return instructions for my original pair. I emailed them to request a return address and haven't heard back yet. I think I recall reading somewhere that the customer was told he didn't need to return the old pair. Not the best management decision on their part. We'll see...
I had to return my old pair.
post #1600 of 1615 Old 12-15-2016, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Ernst View Post
For what it's worth...I love my UB5's. But here is the thing. They are extremely accurate for a 500 dollar pair of speakers. From what I understand, the debut's (I have not heard them) are fantastic for the money but are a bit warmer and maybe a bit more colored. It seems like they produce a more round and fuller sound for the money. That being said, I prefer accuracy. Hearing the detail in each individual instrument to a greater degree is what it's all about. The UB5's seemed a bit bright (but not harsh) at first, but after buying a minidsp and adjusting the mids down just a touch I really began to appreciate these. The detail in the mids and in the bass is very impressive for the price. I adjust the eq on the minidsp depending on the album (or movie) I am listening to. There is just too much variation in recordings across the decades to expect any one setup to sound right without equalization. The continued move away from manual equalization in consumer audio products is very disappointing to me but the minidsp does a very good job.

In A nutshell, I recommend the UB5's but understand what you are getting. I can't wait to hear what AJ does with the next line up.
Hey Justin, I was considering getting the UB5's and the UF5 as I currently have the UC5 and I like the way it sounds (i'm new too audio though) I kept the UC5 after comparing it to the Klipsch centers, I didn't like the Klipsch for some reason, they had much more bass and the UC5 seemed clearer to me.

Like you, I prefer accuracy I like hearing every sound and detail in songs and power is not really my concern, having said that, what would you recommend for great detail accuracy speakers? It's mostly for movies and gaming.

I'm just really new at this and only know about the known brands... Lots of learning!
post #1601 of 1615 Old 12-15-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBaha View Post
Hey Justin, I was considering getting the UB5's and the UF5 as I currently have the UC5 and I like the way it sounds (i'm new too audio though) I kept the UC5 after comparing it to the Klipsch centers, I didn't like the Klipsch for some reason, they had much more bass and the UC5 seemed clearer to me.

Like you, I prefer accuracy I like hearing every sound and detail in songs and power is not really my concern, having said that, what would you recommend for great detail accuracy speakers? It's mostly for movies and gaming.

I'm just really new at this and only know about the known brands... Lots of learning!
It really depends on your budget. Uni-Fis are excellent so its very hard to find anything better in the same money.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #1602 of 1615 Old 12-16-2016, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBaha View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by khurramtm View Post
It really depends on your budget. Uni-Fis are excellent so its very hard to find anything better in the same money.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I had the UB5's, the B5's and B6's for some time. I really liked them all and all performed well above their price point. I agree that the UB5's are the most detailed speaker I've heard at this price range and maybe any under $1000. The B5 and B6 were a bit warmer, but the UB5 was a clear upgrade in every area. The only issue I had, similar to khurramtm, was the highs were a little bright. However, after listening to other speakers now I would say they were more forward which can be good in movies and games. The only thing I would say is that for about $500 you can sometimes find great deals on used or clearance speakers. Right now I think you can get Kef Q300 for less than the UB5. I would love to hear those side-by-side. Ironic because AJ worked at Kef and I'm sure took what he learned into designing the UB5. You could say the Q300 and UB5 are distant cousins. Might be worth a comparison if you can.
post #1603 of 1615 Old 12-16-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3437 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
The KEF Q300 is going for $399 a pair right now, and have no issue with different colored drivers. (The Elac UB5 seemed to come out with some green in the Uni-Fi driver on some shipped.)

I think that would be a good comparison because KEF has about 6 years of making that speaker under their belt now, so it should be as refined as it's going to get.

The most obvious difference between them is that the KEF Q300 is front ported and the Elac UB5 is rear ported. The KEF comes with a hanging bracket on the back, the Elac needs some space from a wall. Depending upon application, the KEF could be put into places the Elac probably shouldn't go. Should be an interesting matchup otherwise.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #1604 of 1615 Old 12-16-2016, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3997 Post(s)
Liked: 2464
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
The KEF Q300 is going for $399 a pair right now, and have no issue with different colored drivers. (The Elac UB5 seemed to come out with some green in the Uni-Fi driver on some shipped.)

I think that would be a good comparison because KEF has about 6 years of making that speaker under their belt now, so it should be as refined as it's going to get.

The most obvious difference between them is that the KEF Q300 is front ported and the Elac UB5 is rear ported. The KEF comes with a hanging bracket on the back, the Elac needs some space from a wall. Depending upon application, the KEF could be put into places the Elac probably shouldn't go. Should be an interesting matchup otherwise.

"Elac needs some space from a wall"

Do you think this is enough?

KenM10759 and khurramtm like this.
post #1605 of 1615 Old 12-16-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Also, the vinyl on Uni-Fi isn't durable at all and gets scratched very easily. ELAC came out with the painted versions but that increased the price by 50% and that's nothing to sneeze at. They should release a MK2 of Uni-Fi with higher impedance, sensitivity and durable vinyl wrap.

I had about 8 inches of space behind mine and there was no boominess at any volume. However, my front wall is unique such that it's a section of a wall which is open on both sides so no corners.
post #1606 of 1615 Old 12-16-2016, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I needed a bookshelf in white and with the KEF's at $400 vs. the white Elacs at $750, I had to get the KEFs. Still wish I could have compared them to the Elacs though.
post #1607 of 1615 Old 12-16-2016, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by khurramtm View Post
Also, the vinyl on Uni-Fi isn't durable at all and gets scratched very easily. ELAC came out with the painted versions but that increased the price by 50% and that's nothing to sneeze at. They should release a MK2 of Uni-Fi with higher impedance, sensitivity and durable vinyl wrap.

I had about 8 inches of space behind mine and there was no boominess at any volume. However, my front wall is unique such that it's a section of a wall which is open on both sides so no corners.
They also came out with a "walnut" finish. In pics I think it looks really good, but they only offer the UB5's, not the C5, in this finish. So if yo're doing a HT they won't match. It may be more durable than the stock finish but haven't seen it in person to tell.
post #1608 of 1615 Old 12-16-2016, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I love this community and how everyone is always helping each other out.

I currently have a strange set up (working on fixing it) becuase I got some speakers as a gift, had a bad receiver bad center etc.
I purchased the UC5 center (after auditioning some klipsch and a polk) and I kept the UC5.

My setup goes like this:
  • Denon X1300W
  • 2 xTowers JBL N38II (to me they're okay-ish) but I got them for almost nothing
  • Elac UC5 center
  • My rear surrounds are some old Bose 301 Series IV (also cost me nothing). These I want to change becuase I'm not happy with them I also have them mounted on the wall and during movies I can feel like they are reflecting sound off the wall and I don't like that.
  • 2x elac atmos speakers. They are ok but got them for cheap on BF with some rewards I had on Amazon. I can sense some overhead (a little) but it's mostly on top of the tv, not above me. Might be the textured ceiling.
  • Onkyo Subwoofer, which I can't use very loud becuase I live in an apartment

I still have time to return the Atmos and the UC5. Do you guys recommend other options? My apartment living room is pretty small about 12x12 feet (maybe more in width because its open all the way to the kitchen) it's really not optimal for sound tbh but it's what I have for now. It is oversized for a 1/1 apartment.

Ideally eventually, I'd love to get all of Elac UNI-Fi series, a x4300h or x6300h and another pair of atmos (not elac not klipsch) for my fronts and place my current one on the backs. But I have to save up about $3k or more to do that first. Maybe next year.
post #1609 of 1615 Old 12-16-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abd1 View Post
Right now I think you can get Kef Q300 for less than the UB5. I would love to hear those side-by-side. Ironic because AJ worked at Kef and I'm sure took what he learned into designing the UB5. You could say the Q300 and UB5 are distant cousins. Might be worth a comparison if you can.
I have both. To me, they sound very similar, except the Q300's go a bit deeper and louder, and are therefore better suited for a larger room. I'm using the Q300's with a UC5 center in my living room and the timbre is well matched. I moved the UB5's to a bedroom. They both have the AJ signature sound.
post #1610 of 1615 Old 01-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Has anyone compared the UniFi UB5 to the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340se (with matching centers for both pairs)?
post #1611 of 1615 Old 01-30-2017, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 57
So I finally got to set these up. Ub5 for left and right with the uc5. Svs surrounds and four inceiling speakers with a svs pc2000. I am driving the elacs with a upa-500 off the Denon x4200 and there is no issue driving them. -26db setting in a 20x16x8 room and they sound great.
Now to get treating the room

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #1612 of 1615 Old 01-31-2017, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobsocc7 View Post
So I finally got to set these up. Ub5 for left and right with the uc5. Svs surrounds and four inceiling speakers with a svs pc2000. I am driving the elacs with a upa-500 off the Denon x4200 and there is no issue driving them. -26db setting in a 20x16x8 room and they sound great.
Now to get treating the room

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Thanks for the report. Did you ever try compairing how the main 5 speakers sounded running off the Denon vs the Emotiva? I have 4 ub5s and a ubc that I plan to run off of a Denon x4300 for movies and videogames and I'm wondering if I'd benefit much from using an external amp like the upa-500 or an Outlaw 5000. Not sure if I will add atmos speakers at some point.
post #1613 of 1615 Old 09-19-2017, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Does Elac provide a spinorama frequency response graph for the Uni-Fi speakers? I'm curious to know it's on-axis vs off-axis performance and directivity.

U-Turn Orbit Plus turntable, Marantz SR-7009 AVR, iNuke 6000DSP, DIY LinkwitzLab speakers, MartyCube + JohnnySub, BenQ W1070, Roku stick, Plex
post #1614 of 1615 Old 06-20-2018, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 71
So, who's still using these, and how happy are you?
post #1615 of 1615 Old 06-24-2018, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabre View Post
So, who's still using these, and how happy are you?
I just got a pair of the UB5 during the last Amazon sale and I’m quite enjoying them. I’ve only heard a few selections from their line up but I think they’re the best all around speaker that Elac has made. I’m running them just 2-channel as my desktop rig. Overkill? Perhaps. But I'm really happy with my signal path there and I wanted as good a speaker as I could afford. The bass from the OG Debuts might be bigger, but the overall refined frequency response, as well as the fantastic detail, dynamics, and imaging puts these on top. Also the bass is unbelieveably for a 5" bookshelf driver.

_____
Living Room: Oppo 203 / Chromecast Ultra / Audio-gd R2R-1 / Denon 3400H / Elac F6.2 / Rythmik L12 / Panasonic P50ST60

Last edited by Pop Zeus; 06-24-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
elac , silliness

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page