ELAC Uni-FI B5 Bookshelf Speaker at CES 2016 - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 608Likes

post #241 of 1615 Old 03-06-2016, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsticker View Post
Thanks for the insight, abd1. And darn you also. You might have convinced me to sell one of my lesser-used headphone amps to justify the Peachtree Nova 220.
You won't regret it, especially when driving less efficient speakers like the Elac's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1615 Old 03-08-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsticker View Post
I don't think preorders are being taken yet. At least there's nothing on the ELAC America online store. Not even a mention of the Uni-Fi series.

http://elac.com/product-category/passive/uni-fi/

Saw this link in the comments section of a CNET article. Was posted Feb 15th, so looks like pre-orders have been quietly available for a while. Launch is April 4th.
dsticker likes this.
post #243 of 1615 Old 03-08-2016, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post
http://elac.com/product-category/passive/uni-fi/

Saw this link in the comments section of a CNET article. Was posted Feb 15th, so looks like pre-orders have been quietly available for a while. Launch is April 4th.
Hi Everyone,

We did start accepting pre-orders at the link provided above. If you do not see the option to pre-order just refresh the page and it will appear (Small website bug we are working on).

The April 4th date is what we have right now. There is a chance it can slip a week or two. Andrew will be at the factory next week to oversee and test pre-production. If all goes well, production will start immediately.

Once I hear back from Andrew next week I will update the website. Anyone who has already pre-ordered will be notified via email with the new date.

Thanks,

Chris Walker
ELAC Americas
Raistlin_HT and christoofar like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 1615 Old 03-08-2016, 02:55 PM
AbA

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo View Post
Hi Everyone,

We did start accepting pre-orders at the link provided above. If you do not see the option to pre-order just refresh the page and it will appear (Small website bug we are working on).

The April 4th date is what we have right now. There is a chance it can slip a week or two. Andrew will be at the factory next week to oversee and test pre-production. If all goes well, production will start immediately.

Once I hear back from Andrew next week I will update the website. Anyone who has already pre-ordered will be notified via email with the new date.

Thanks,

Chris Walker
ELAC Americas
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update.
Is there any word on whether you'll ship to Europe (Germany), and if so, when?

Thanks,

AbA
post #245 of 1615 Old 03-08-2016, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Will the uni-fi line be sold through amazon like the Debut line is?
post #246 of 1615 Old 03-09-2016, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anybody see any issues driving these with a Sonos Connect:Amp? Looking for confirmation before I pre-order. Thanks!
post #247 of 1615 Old 03-12-2016, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by intendedaccel View Post
Does anybody see any issues driving these with a Sonos Connect:Amp? Looking for confirmation before I pre-order. Thanks!
Hum, a quick check of the specs of that amp indicates 55w into 8 ohm, no indication of 4 ohm performance, and a "bargain" price. I would be somewhat hesitant if I needed to fill anything more than a small room with sound (unless you meant "by these" the Debut line and not the Uni-Fi line - and even then...).

I think it really depends on the quality/robustness of Sonos gear and if it can "do" a 4 ohm load well. I don't have any Sonos gear so I don't know...
post #248 of 1615 Old 03-13-2016, 10:09 AM

What do you guys think would be better a F5 or a ub5 both will be crossed over to a sub?
post #249 of 1615 Old 03-14-2016, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I had a question regarding the new unifi as well as the elac b6 and their use of the softdome tweeter vs the ribbon tweeter/kapton/folded ribbon. The ribbon tweeters allow for more higher range before rolling off than softdomes as andrew said in one of those videos but they he said that the soft dome he made can get to that level.

Is the reason he used soft dome vs ribbon tweeters a cost saving measure, or is it difference of opinion on what sounds better in a speaker? Would his speakers be even better with ribbon tweeters and is he not going that route due to wanted another line in the future that puts them in there at a higher price point?

Just curious. I'm choosing between a Elac B6, vs a HTD L3 at the moment. So I'm very curious.
post #250 of 1615 Old 03-15-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahid Jamali View Post
I had a question regarding the new unifi as well as the elac b6 and their use of the softdome tweeter vs the ribbon tweeter/kapton/folded ribbon. The ribbon tweeters allow for more higher range before rolling off than softdomes as andrew said in one of those videos but they he said that the soft dome he made can get to that level.

Is the reason he used soft dome vs ribbon tweeters a cost saving measure, or is it difference of opinion on what sounds better in a speaker? Would his speakers be even better with ribbon tweeters and is he not going that route due to wanted another line in the future that puts them in there at a higher price point?

Just curious. I'm choosing between a Elac B6, vs a HTD L3 at the moment. So I'm very curious.
I think what Andrew and others (who are honest) are saying is at this price point, you can make a soft dome that sounds quite good OR you can make a ribbon that does not sound so good. You need to spend more money on Ribbon's before their inherent design characteristics start to show through.
D Bone likes this.
post #251 of 1615 Old 03-15-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

A lot of so called ribbon tweeters are in name only, they are not true ribbon tweeters, it's a compromised design and the result is they often have even greater mass than a good quality, well designed dome tweeters

Actually, a high quality dome tweeters will easily outperform the low-end fake ribbon tweeters and one common complain you hear from those low-end ribbons are harsh and fatiguing sound

A pair of true ribbon tweeters will cost at least a couple hundred dollars and you are not going to find them on the entry level speakers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenca View Post
I think what Andrew and others (who are honest) are saying is at this price point, you can make a soft dome that sounds quite good OR you can make a ribbon that does not sound so good. You need to spend more money on Ribbon's before their inherent design characteristics start to show through.
Agree, it is just not realistic to expect high quality true ribbon at this price point, but you can still make quality speakers with good dome tweeters!

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X4400H, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, C380LCR x4 and Martin Logan Descent I x2
2 Channel - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Marantz SA-KI-Pearl, Primaluna Dialogue Three, Parasound Halo A21, JL Audio CR1, JL Audio E112 and ATS Acoustics room treatments
post #252 of 1615 Old 03-15-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
A lot of so called ribbon tweeters are in name only, they are not true ribbon tweeters, it's a compromised design and the result is they often have even greater mass than a good quality, well designed dome tweeters

Actually, a high quality dome tweeters will easily outperform the low-end fake ribbon tweeters and one common complain you hear from those low-end ribbons are harsh and fatiguing sound

A pair of true ribbon tweeters will cost at least a couple hundred dollars and you are not going to find them on the entry level speakers..

Agree, it is just not realistic to expect high quality true ribbon at this price point, but you can still make quality speakers with good dome tweeters!
While this is true, there is some entry level speakers that do the ribbon tweeter well.
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-th...shelf-Speakers
Or do you guys think these are lower end ribbon drivers they used?
post #253 of 1615 Old 03-15-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 262
^^ Those are planar magnetic drivers, using a Kapton membrane, and not true ribbons.
ousooner2 likes this.

Steve Goff
post #254 of 1615 Old 03-15-2016, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalitz View Post
At the outset, let me first say that I have no commercial connection to Elac although after hearing the demo, I'm trying my damdest to get the line for my rep firm. Here's why: aside from the great people involved, not to mention Andrew, one of the world's few great speaker designers, I actually felt they had the best sound at CES! This is not hyperbole. I didn't hear every demo but to put things in perspective, they murdered the Vanderstein room with their Mercedes-level-of-cost system--positively murdered them, although the Vandersteins had incredibly deep bass. From the waist up, so to speak, no contest. Yes, I've heard these new vandersteins sound fabulous at a dealer but at the show, on that day, I was floored.

Polar response, schmoler response. They simply sound fabulous. Even the bass was remarkable (to a point). I never judge speakers (or almost anything else) by specs.

By the way, I've repped everything from Apogee to AR to a/d/s/ to Focal to Sonus Faber to Totem, etc. I've consulted for Jim Thiel and battled with Floyd Toole. The entire experience begs the question: What if Andrew designed a $10,000 speaker? These were indeed $500 per pair and no one could believe it. I want this line!

Yes, they'd make a great compact surround system albeit with imitations for the Transformer crowd. They're about the size of the little Kefs or the LS3/5a, give or take a couple of inches.
I also can't wait to see more upscale Andrew Jones Elac speakers
The debut series hit the shops of Norway too now

Last edited by haraldo; 03-15-2016 at 01:24 PM.
post #255 of 1615 Old 03-15-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post
^^ Those are planar magnetic drivers, using a Kapton membrane, and not true ribbons.
Ah I see. From research they are no match for true ribbons. Do you know if planars from level 3 htd's compare to the higher end soft domes used by the uni-fi or b6's?
post #256 of 1615 Old 03-15-2016, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Ah I see. From research they are no match for true ribbons. Do you know if planars from level 3 htd's compare to the higher end soft domes used by the uni-fi or b6's?
I couldn't say. My understanding is that the Unifi tweeter has a more extended response than the B6 tweeter.

Steve Goff
post #257 of 1615 Old 03-17-2016, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I'm guessing these are for pre-order but musicdirect has the uni-fi speakers available on their site.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-438070-...eakers-pr.aspx
post #258 of 1615 Old 03-17-2016, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by abd1 View Post
I'm guessing these are for pre-order but musicdirect has the uni-fi speakers available on their site.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-438070-...eakers-pr.aspx
Yeah, no way that 3-7 days is accurate. Elac rep just said they haven't signed off yet on production but it could happen this week which would keep the early April date on track.

I locked in my pre-order earlier this month, this is my first ever pair of "nice" home speakers, I can't wait!!!
post #259 of 1615 Old 03-17-2016, 07:59 PM

Getting excited can't wait for amazon to get them!
post #260 of 1615 Old 03-18-2016, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigro View Post
Hello, I am an AVSforum Noob here. I have been Prowling around to get Info on the Debut series when they were announced and Now I see the Uni Fi being announced. I have noticed some comparing the Debut to the Uni-fi . I just wanted to point out that I believe the Debut's are rated at 6 Ohms and the Uni-Fi are rated at 4 Ohms. I am not up on HT amps and gear as I mostly play in the 2 Channel Arena where many amps will work at 4 Ohms. Looking at the specs on some of the lower end Sony HT Amps there is really No Specs on Impedance or any of the typical specs I am used to with a 2 channel amp just a bunch of fluff about the massive amounts of things you can plug in or stream,. Pioneer does list "Guaranteed Impedance" at 6- 16 Ohms on their entry level receiver. Harmon Kardon Seems to list power specs at 6 and 8 Ohms. Oddly it seems they only mention max specs at 2 channels and not what the output of each channel is. Is this is the norm for HT receivers? If so that's fine. I find it odd though. In any Event it seems the Debut line Falls within the Range of some of these random entry level amps when it comes to impedance but the Uni Fi Does not. All my amps are rated at 4 ohm so this does not affect me if I can bring My self to sell the B6's I have to upgrade. I am curious however if the seeming lack of specs on the actual audio portions of these Home theater receivers and the focus on all of the new features and things you can plug in( from my point of view )can be misleading in that these amps may just play fine with 4Ohm Loads but it is just not stated.
The Pioneer Elite SC-91 is a 7.2 channel home theater receiver that's 4-ohm rated.
post #261 of 1615 Old 03-20-2016, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I placed my preorder for the UB5 a while back. In the mean time, I was looking for an amplifier that is capable of driving these speakers and giving me everything they they have to offer.

I just purchased a pre-owned McCormack DNA 125 with modifications in the signal path & to the power supply.

Now I have to find a suitable preamplifier to pull it all together because the NR1402 isn't going to get it done. The 1402 is fine for HT, but I'm looking to put together a dedicated 2-channel set up.

I got out of the hobby a long time ago and now I'm getting back in to it thanks to the affordable audio provided by Mr. Jones.

I am excited to see how it all comes together!

Audio: KEF Q150 * NAD C 316BEE * Bluesound Node 2i * 12" SVS sub * APC H10
Vinyl: Fluance RT82 * Nagaoka MP-110 * Bottlehead Reduction + Integration * KAB RF1
Video: Panasonic TH-50PZ850U * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * ROKU Premiere
post #262 of 1615 Old 03-21-2016, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Hum, a quick check of the specs of that amp indicates 55w into 8 ohm, no indication of 4 ohm performance, and a "bargain" price. I would be somewhat hesitant if I needed to fill anything more than a small room with sound (unless you meant "by these" the Debut line and not the Uni-Fi line - and even then...).

I think it really depends on the quality/robustness of Sonos gear and if it can "do" a 4 ohm load well. I don't have any Sonos gear so I don't know...

In an effort to answer my own question here, it does appear that the Connect:Amp is indeed 4 ohm capable (see: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answe...bWgxVnUxTW0%3D )

It looks like the power output jumps to 110w a channel at 4ohms, so I think I'll be ok with the Unifi B5's. Anybody disagree?
post #263 of 1615 Old 03-21-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intendedaccel View Post
In an effort to answer my own question here, it does appear that the Connect:Amp is indeed 4 ohm capable (see: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answe...bWgxVnUxTW0%3D )

It looks like the power output jumps to 110w a channel at 4ohms, so I think I'll be ok with the Unifi B5's. Anybody disagree?
The ability to double into a 4 ohm load (from 8 ohm) is usually an indicate of a certain "robustness", ability to deliver current, and is usually found only on higher quality (and priced) gear. It also usually comes with a bit more THD also (can be a downside if audible). So as long as Sonos is not playing a spec game here (i.e. fudging the numbers), then you should be fine. How big of room are you trying to fill with sound? As long as your not trying to fill a large room with dance club SPL you will will probably be pleasantly surprised by how loud this combo will go...
post #264 of 1615 Old 03-21-2016, 03:26 PM

Anyone have thoughts on the Marantz NR1604 pushing a pair of UB5's? Says 6ohms min but from what Andrew said there appears to be some leeway.
post #265 of 1615 Old 03-21-2016, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I grabbed a emotiva upa-500 just in case my receiver runs into any issues. It's an older Yamaha v567 but looking to grab a ATMOS receiver when the next year models drop these current ones down

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #266 of 1615 Old 03-21-2016, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobsocc7 View Post
I grabbed a emotiva upa-500 just in case my receiver runs into any issues. It's an older Yamaha v567 but looking to grab a ATMOS receiver when the next year models drop these current ones down
Does the Yamaha have pre-outs? The Emotiva will have plenty of power for the UB5 speakers

Audio: KEF Q150 * NAD C 316BEE * Bluesound Node 2i * 12" SVS sub * APC H10
Vinyl: Fluance RT82 * Nagaoka MP-110 * Bottlehead Reduction + Integration * KAB RF1
Video: Panasonic TH-50PZ850U * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * ROKU Premiere
post #267 of 1615 Old 03-21-2016, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Lol nope just realized my old amp did the but this one doesn't. I am going to grab a cheap older receiver from Amazon to fill in the gap or just wait till I finish home theater room and get a ATMOS one with preouts. I'm sure it can handle just the two 4ohm speakers in my living room till I finish.

post #268 of 1615 Old 03-21-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobsocc7 View Post
Lol nope just realized my old amp did the but this one doesn't. I am going to grab a cheap older receiver from Amazon to fill in the gap or just wait till I finish home theater room and get a ATMOS one with preouts. I'm sure it can handle just the two 4ohm speakers in my living room till I finish.

You will be fine
post #269 of 1615 Old 03-21-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeep127 View Post
Anyone have thoughts on the Marantz NR1604 pushing a pair of UB5's? Says 6ohms min but from what Andrew said there appears to be some leeway.
I run a very similarly rated Marantz 1504 with some Infinity primus 360's for the living room for TV (95% - I occasionally will stream some music to it), which are 93db sensitive and 8 ohms. This 50W Marantz unit drives these speakers better than the Best Buy Sony STDNR or something that was supposedly rated at 100 watts I had before, and is much more accurate and "musical" (these speakers leave a lot to be desired for music however). That said, take the volume into the "moderately loud" category and you can hear the Marantz unit straining, and the sound gets thin and flat in that cheap class D sort of way.

Marantz makes some good amps, but these "budget" class AVR receivers I think might be a bit stressed by an only moderately efficient 4 ohm speaker like the UniFi I would think (only a semi-educated guess at this point however). Of course, if you live in an apartment and/or have a small room the Marantz might be more than enough...
post #270 of 1615 Old 03-22-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I run a very similarly rated Marantz 1504 with some Infinity primus 360's for the living room for TV (95% - I occasionally will stream some music to it), which are 93db sensitive and 8 ohms. This 50W Marantz unit drives these speakers better than the Best Buy Sony STDNR or something that was supposedly rated at 100 watts I had before, and is much more accurate and "musical" (these speakers leave a lot to be desired for music however). That said, take the volume into the "moderately loud" category and you can hear the Marantz unit straining, and the sound gets thin and flat in that cheap class D sort of way.

Marantz makes some good amps, but these "budget" class AVR receivers I think might be a bit stressed by an only moderately efficient 4 ohm speaker like the UniFi I would think (only a semi-educated guess at this point however). Of course, if you live in an apartment and/or have a small room the Marantz might be more than enough...
Thanks for the info. Of course, I'll try it out first before I go drop some money. Funny, I had the same experience as you in that I replaced an older Onkyo 5.1 which was rated at 100 watts/ch and the 50W rated Marantz was louder and much better sounding IMO.

I have a good sized living room that's open to the kitchen and I occasionally crank it, so I do need some volume. But I'll have these crossed around 80hz which should help some. I'll report back when I get the speakers. I see eventually upgrading to an external amp. I'm a little worried though as I just recently read a comment where someone went from a Marantz AVR to an Emotiva external and actually preferred the sound of the Marantz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
elac , silliness

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page