distortion measured in JBL Control 1 Pro - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-15-2016, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
distortion measured in JBL Control 1 Pro

I got a pair of new JBL Control 1 Pro (5" 2-way) and did some listening and also some measurements with REW. For general music it seems like they will sound OK with a sub and some EQ to lighten up the upper bass/midrange. But for my instrument application there is a problem with distortion. For example, right around 200 Hz is bad spot, where I measure about 25% THD with a pure 200 Hz tone at around 90 dB SPL @ 1 meter. This is when driving about only 1 watt. You can hear the harmonics pretty readily. I tested both speakers of the pair. If you back off the level, the distortion goes away. Offhand seems unreasonable for a speaker rated at 150W RMS.

My question is: Is this normal? Are all speakers around this size going to perform this poorly distortion-wise, or do I have a chance of finding something else that is better? Any suggestions for an upgrade?

Background: I'm selecting speakers for an 8-channel+sub audio system for a virtual pipe organ at home. All channels with have full parametric EQ available. Because of the quantity, I was hoping to spend only around $80-$150 per speaker, and also I have space constraints. In this application, too much distortion would color individual notes and make them sound unrealistic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
distortion , rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page