how to build speaker boxes for Definitive Technology UIW55? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-27-2016, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
how to build speaker boxes for Definitive Technology UIW55?

I have a pair of UIW55 (in wall) speakers that I want to use in a location where I do not have access to cut into the wall. So I was thinking of building speaker boxes and mount these on the wall.

Def Tech built these speakers to use the wall space as a "infinite baffle" (non-sealed space). I confirmed with Def Tech support that ported speaker boxes would probably be best. They do not sell any premade boxes or provide any box specs.

I would like to keep the speaker box dimensions fairly shallow (the minimum speaker install depth is 3-5/16"). Specs are posted here: http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-55

Looking for tips on box design and construction, or a pointer to something premade that would work well.

Thanks in advance!

Coolplazma's HT Den project. Early project info. Needs update with final results.

Last edited by coolplazma; 01-27-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-27-2016, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolplazma View Post
I have a pair of UIW55 (in wall) speakers that I want to use in a location where I do not have access to cut into the wall. So I was thinking of building speaker boxes and mount these on the wall.

Def Tech built these speakers to use the wall space as a "infinite baffle" (non-sealed space). I confirmed with Def Tech support that ported speaker boxes would probably be best. They do not sell any premade boxes or provide any box specs.

I would like to keep the speaker box dimensions fairly shallow (the minimum speaker install depth is 3-5/16"). Specs are posted here: http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-55

Looking for tips on box design and construction, or a pointer to something premade that would work well.

Thanks in advance!
You may be able to find some info in the DIY threads, but honestly, I'd build something about 12x12x6 and double slot port it with about a 2" slot on either end.
Example: ½" MDF
Back (1) 12x12
Sides (2) 12x6 (2) 11x6
Front (1) 11x8 (centered)
Inner stops (2) 11x2 (fasten these to the back plate, inside of the box approx. 2" from the ends coordinating with the positioning of the slots)
Glue a piece of 1¾ to 2" insulation in between these rails, so that it lies behind the speaker.
Fasten the top so that it id's centered and fits inside the box and match paint it inside as well so the slots aren't as noticeable.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; 01-27-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page