GoldenEar Triton One vs Revel Performa3 F208 - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 111Likes

post #181 of 258 Old 04-10-2016, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
But have you heard Revel F208's ?
I have not heard them, out of my price range so I don't want the tease of something I cannot afford !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 258 Old 05-10-2016, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post
Soundstage measurements are limited. Stereophile's measurements include more, like the waterfall plot. The Triton BLOWS away the Revel in this regard. It is also flatter from 100Hz to 10Khz. This is what John Atkinson has to say about the Triton's:

"To judge from its measured performance, Sandy Gross and Bob Johnston have produced another finely engineered loudspeaker.—John Atkinson"

Those who say the Triton measures badly or that the Revel's measure better have no clue. You're saying you only go by measurements, you can't even do that right! lol
I'm looking at the charts now and I don't see how the results are in favor of the tritons?
post #183 of 258 Old 05-11-2016, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlamsCosmicCipher View Post
Not quite yet! Moved to the new place, but things have been hectic with work, and I haven't had a free weekend to set up things as I'd like them in my listening space.

Any luck yet? I recently scored a used pair of Triton Ones and can attest that they do sound a tad brighter than my Triton Two's. However, they sounds better all around and it was a big step up for me.
sunPin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey everyone,

First, thank you for all the great information in this thread so far. I read through 10 pages of discussion between last night and this morning. I seem to be in a similar boat as many of you because I'm also trying to decide on the GE T1 or The Revel ProForma f208. While they both received great reviews from all the publications (I've read multiple on both) and most commentators say you can't go wrong with either speaker. If I'm spending $5k+ I want to make sure I have a clear winner at least in my mind.

Quick background: I currently have DefTech 8040 Towers with the 8060 Center Speaker and Bi Polar surrounds. I have PC Plus Sub from SVS which is a $1200 sub and I have a 65" Panasonic Plasma. With 4k, HDR, UHD Blu Ray here, I figured why not give my whole HT setup a refresh.

I've got a dedicated theater room and I'm the exact opposite as the OP. I use it for 90% movies and 10% video games. With those preferences in mind, should that lean more in favorably to the GE T1 over the Revel? All the reviews on the Revel demo those speakers in a 2.1 setup. They seem to be an audiophiles dream but on most reviews, they rarely reviewed them with 5.1 content.

From an aesthetics standpoint, I prefer the Revel's. After reading all the posts, the only things I gather definitively are:

Triton ONE- Pros: Better Bass (by a lot), most prefer the ribbon tweeter for the high end frequencies, and they have great reviews from many reputable reviewers especially for movies
Revel- Pros: They measure better, everyone says it has a "cohesive image," very natural/neutral sound", and has better dispersion over the GE, plays louder and has a beautiful mid-range.

Any additional advice for a guy looking specifically for speakers that sound great with movies. I love a huge sound stage and sound that really envelops the room. I'm looking for the "Wow" factor when friends and family come over to watch a movie. Also, I haven't heard this point brought up yet, with movies, tv and video games, the majority of content comes from the Center Channel. Does
that push the scale in a different direction? How does the Center XXL from Goldenear compare to the C208?? I think if one clearly outperformed the other, that might be the tipping point for me in making my decision.

Thanks again for the great thread. I just joined today because I had to hop into the conversation.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #185 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 389
My opinion on movies vs music is that if a speaker sounds good for music, it will sound good for movies and games. The reverse is not necessarily true.

The GE have very good bass, so you may not need that level of bass if you have a subwoofer. Then again, I had to upgrade my subs because they couldn't keep up with my Triton Two's.

If you play content very loud, you might want to pick the speaker that plays louder. Otherwise, the tweeter on the GE is something I could not live without.

Regardless, the only thing that matters between these two is how they sound to you. Any chance you could demo both (or find someone who has them)?
post #186 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
If you're looking specifically for HT speakers, have you given any thought to high-efficiency horn-loaded speakers?

Power Sound Audio MTM-210T: http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/mtm-210t - $1999.98

JTR Noesis 228HTR - http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/noesis-228htr/ - $3798.00

Both speakers have 98dB efficiency, therefore they are able to be driven by virtually any modern AVR to ear-bleeding levels.
CruelInventions and dwaleke like this.
post #187 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy2112 View Post
My opinion on movies vs music is that if a speaker sounds good for music, it will sound good for movies and games. The reverse is not necessarily true.

The GE have very good bass, so you may not need that level of bass if you have a subwoofer. Then again, I had to upgrade my subs because they couldn't keep up with my Triton Two's.

If you play content very loud, you might want to pick the speaker that plays louder. Otherwise, the tweeter on the GE is something I could not live without.

Regardless, the only thing that matters between these two is how they sound to you. Any chance you could demo both (or find someone who has them)?
Thanks for the advice. There are a few places in ATL that carry these lines but no one carries both so it will be hard to do an A/B comparison. Listening to each speaker is on my to-do list to see if I strongly favor one, but I don't think I have an expert ear. It's easier for me to discern picture quality versus audio quality so I lean more on reviews and opinions with audio as opposed to video.
post #188 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 2519
I think one thing to consider is that the Harman speakers - Revel and JBL - are both used in the mixing and mastering of both movies and music. You might read through the Revel and JBL LSR708 threads to get more info:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...rs-thread.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...an-2015-a.html

In the last week or so I put up a comparison of the Revel F36 vs. the JBL LSR708 in both threads. The LSR708 is a derivative of the JBL M2 Master Reference Monitor used in many film and music mix stages. It was fun comparing the two speakers, even though the F36 is a step down from the F208 you are considering. I was literally comparing the Revel budget tower with speakers actually used in the critical mastering of movies and music.

The next step up from the Revel F208 - the Revel Ultima Salon2, which is the speaker the F208 was made to emulate - is the speaker in Dolby's Critical Listening Lab. This is an ATMOS setup:

Matt Lavine, CEO Bug ID, in one of the Advanced Technology Group’s ITU NC 10 Critical Listening rooms, with a Revel 9.1.4 Atmos speaker system (9x Salon 2 on floor; 4x Gem 2 in ceiling; 2x Paradigm Subs. Wired for up to 32 channels of passive audio with custom Nion mixer/monitor controller.

When the F208 was created, the goal was to get as close as possible to the sound of the Salon2s (at $22K a pair) while staying under $5K per pair.

It is also true that over 90% of Blu-rays are mastered on a JBL Synthesis system that uses Revel C763L speakers for the height channels. Not a marketing claim - this is literally true.

Speaking as a film composer (and film mixer), it's important to keep in mind that there is an awful lot of music in movies

If you are in Colorado, you can definitely come audition the Revels and the JBLs. Just in case you are not familiar, JBL and Revel share much of the same DNA - both are Harman products, both share the same R&D facilities, both have extreme accuracy as the design goal (flat on and off axis response, true to the mix), and both are used extensively in the actual mixing and mastering of both films and music.

The C208 is one of the best center channel speakers available. About the only step up would be to use a third F208 (in a perfect film mix scenario the LCR speakers are identical).
murphy2112 likes this.

John Schuermann
The Screening Room Home Theater Sales and Design
JS Music and Sound Film Scoring and Sound Design
post #189 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also - what are you using for subs? Movie soundtracks should be bass managed in most cases, especially if you want to get anywhere near reference levels. Most power in a home theater surround system gets absorbed by the bass frequencies, so having dedicated subs with built in amps pulls away a great deal of that power drain.
murphy2112 likes this.

John Schuermann
post #190 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 11:02 AM

Thanks for info John. I will start reading through some of those threads. While getting a 3rd f208 as my center sounds appealing, I have a TV screen on an AV cabinet so unless I could lay it down horizontally, I don't think it'd be possible. Can the f208 work as a CS lying horizontally?
post #191 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
Also - what are you using for subs? Movie soundtracks should be bass managed in most cases, especially if you want to get anywhere near reference levels. Most power in a home theater surround system gets absorbed by the bass frequencies, so having dedicated subs with built in amps pulls away a great deal of that power drain.
I have an SVS PC13Plus and then the Def Tech (BP8040's) are also powered speakers with built-in subs. I am pretty happy with my bass performance at this point but if you seem more knowledgable than me so I'm also open to ideas that can get more out of my system.
post #192 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoysiaman View Post
Thanks for info John. I will start reading through some of those threads. While getting a 3rd f208 as my center sounds appealing, I have a TV screen on an AV cabinet so unless I could lay it down horizontally, I don't think it'd be possible. Can the f208 work as a CS lying horizontally?
No, unfortunately, which is why the C208 was created In fact, with very few exceptions speakers work very poorly when set on their side. If you look at those threads you can see that I set one of my JBL LSR708s on its side for center use, but it's somewhat unique in the waveguide design that allows for this (even it's still not ideal).

John Schuermann
post #193 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the SVS 13" sub would work quite well. You might consider adding a second at some point - generally speaking subs work better in even multiples (at least for hitting higher SPLs and evening out bass response in the room, seat to seat).

How big is your room? What are you using to power all of this?

John Schuermann
post #194 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The main thing with center channel speakers is to make sure they will match the timbre of the mains as closely as possible. Here are the high resolution spin-o-rama measurement charts for the Revel F208 and C208 - you can see how closely they match (and how flat and accurate these speakers truly are). Also you can see that the F208s are not bass shy at all - very usable, flat response all the way down to 40 hz. Keep in mind that these are high resolution graphs with 1/24 octave resolution - much more detailed than the usual speaker graphs you will see with 1/3 octave resolution:

F208:

C208:

zoysiaman likes this.

John Schuermann
post #195 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
I think the SVS 13" sub would work quite well.

How big is your room?
You can't make the first statement without knowing the answer to your question.

Room size (specifically room volume) will dictate how much subwoofer output you will need. A single 13" subwoofer in 9000 cubic foot of space will not work well at all. Too much volume to pressurize. Large volume spaces are very common today with open floor plan listening spaces.
post #196 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
You can't make the first statement without knowing the answer to your question.

Room size (specifically room volume) will dictate how much subwoofer output you will need. A single 13" subwoofer in 9000 cubic foot of space will not work well at all. Too much volume to pressurize. Large volume spaces are very common today with open floor plan listening spaces.
You are of course correct. I am assuming a typical home theater sized space (2000 cu ft or so).

John Schuermann
post #197 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 1549
zoysiaman -

With your stated "dedicated home theater room", neither of those two speakers would be on my short list of consideration. Revel is an outstanding speaker, absolutely no doubt. But neither that Revel model (nor the GE) would be up for serious consideration in a dedicated home theater room. Especially for one where, "I use it for 90% movies and 10% video games".

But then again, you also stated that you have a, "TV screen on an AV cabinet", which is not typically associated with a dedicated home theater room. So you kind of occupy an odd space. You have a dedicated room (great!), with a 90% movie/gaming usage, but the existing layout is not set up in the typical manner for ideal home theater. Most dedicated home theater rooms have a projection screen and then have the equipment either hidden or off to the side or in a corner. In other words, not occupying front and center space within an a/v cabinet.

This projection screen/equipment out-of-the-way scenario allows for implementing the home theater speaker performance ideal, consisting of 3 identical speakers up front. All being vertically oriented (i.e., no horizontal center channel), all very high quality and extremely dynamic (looking more to speaker brands the likes of Triad, JBL, JTR, among a few others). So having a front and center a/v cabinet supporting a non-acoustically transparent plasma panel display requires some compromises on speaker choice and layout.

Assuming you can't deviate from your current layout at least in the short term, you're on the right track by seeking out the best general audio usage pair of stereo speakers you can afford. You sure can't go too far wrong with Revel, that's for sure. But sometime down the line, you should look long and hard at optimizing your subwoofer performance, in conjunction with looking into room EQ solutions (such as Dirac) and possibly room treatments. All 3 have the potential to tremendously enhance your home theater experience. Each of these are huge topics of importance and interest among home theater aficionados. Most use some combination of all 3 to take their audio quality up to the next level.
GIEGAR likes this.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #198 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 12:43 PM

My room is 18x17 with 8ft ceilings. I have a 5 year old Onkyo driving the system. It was only like $500-$600 when I first bought it. I am looking to get one of the new Denon models. Of all my AV equipment, the AVR was the first thing I bought so it's very dated plus I had just graduated college and had a small budget. I'm looking to spend $1500-$2000 on my next AVR. I also see that you can Bi-Amp the f208 so I will be looking for a receiver that has enough channels to accommodate that. That is if I go with the Revel's which you are pushing me towards lol.

When I read a lot of the Revel reviews, it looks like the Performa2 line was introduced in 2012. We are heading into 2017, should I be worried about a Revel Performa4 coming out? What's their typical refresh cycle?
post #199 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
With your stated "dedicated home theater room", neither of those two speakers would be on my short list of consideration. Revel is an outstanding speaker, absolutely no doubt. But neither that Revel model (nor the GE) would be up for serious consideration in a dedicated home theater room. Especially for one where, "I use it for 90% movies and 10% video games".

But then again, you also stated that you have a, "TV screen on an AV cabinet", which is not typically associated with a dedicated home theater room. So you kind of occupy an odd space. You have a dedicated room (great!), with a 90% movie/gaming usage, but the existing layout is not set up in the typical manner for ideal home theater. Most dedicated home theater rooms have a projection screen and then have the equipment either hidden or off to the side or in a corner. In other words, not occupying front and center space within an a/v cabinet.

This projection screen/equipment out-of-the-way scenario allows for implementing the home theater speaker performance ideal, consisting of 3 identical speakers up front. All being vertically oriented (i.e., no horizontal center channel), all very high quality and extremely dynamic (looking more to speaker brands the likes of Triad, JBL, JTR, among a few others). So having a front and center a/v cabinet supporting a non-acoustically transparent plasma panel display requires some compromises on speaker choice and layout.

Assuming you can't deviate from your current layout at least in the short term, you're on the right track by seeking out the best general audio usage pair of stereo speakers you can afford. You sure can't go too far wrong with Revel, that's for sure. But sometime down the line, you should look long and hard at optimizing your subwoofer performance, in conjunction with looking into room EQ solutions (such as Dirac) and possibly room treatments. All 3 have the potential to tremendously enhance your home theater experience. Each of these are huge topics of importance and interest among home theater aficionados. Most use some combination of all 3 to take their audio quality up to the next level.
Thank you for the tips. Much appreciated. My dedicated home theater room is basically the bonus room in our house. My wife does give me free reign though so the walls are very dark, I have movie posters up, and can do whatever I want. I think if I had a bigger room or basement I'd think about doing a projector. But I will say the blacks of an OLED or Panny plasma crush the majority of projectors that I've seen plus I don't have the hassle of changing bulbs. I'm guessing for the right amount of money and lighting control I could get there but money is also a factor.

I don't know if it will play out this way but I'm hoping over the next 1-2 years my setup will look like:

Currently:
Display: 65" VT60 plasma
Def Tech BP8040 Towers, CS8060, and SR8040's
Sub: SVS PC13Plus
Onkyo 608

End of 2017:
Display: 65" LG OLED
GE Triton One/ Revel Performa 208
New Center Speaker: XXL or C208
Surrounds: Def Tech BP8040
Sub: Same
AVR: Denon/Marantz

I'd like to this 2 year upgrade plan for about $10,000 or less. I'm in sales so I'm pretty good at negotiating so hopefully I can come close to my budget. I'll look at those speaker lines you mentioned especially if they can fit into my budget of $5000ish for my R/L/C speaker.
post #200 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My room is 18x17 with 8ft ceilings. I have a 5 year old Onkyo driving the system. It was only like $500-$600 when I first bought it. I am looking to get one of the new Denon models. Of all my AV equipment, the AVR was the first thing I bought so it's very dated plus I had just graduated college and had a small budget. I'm looking to spend $1500-$2000 on my next AVR. I also see that you can Bi-Amp the f208 so I will be looking for a receiver that has enough channels to accommodate that. That is if I go with the Revel's which you are pushing me towards lol.

When I read a lot of the Revel reviews, it looks like the Performa2 line was introduced in 2012. We are heading into 2017, should I be worried about a Revel Performa4 coming out? What's their typical refresh cycle?
In the interest of full disclosure, I am a Revel / JBL dealer, so keep that in mind. Then again I also deal in Paradigm, Monitor Audio, Martin Logan, etc, but my at least "semi-pro" background causes me to land on the Revel / JBL product almost all the time IMO, there is no other brand with as much objective data and research to back up what might be considered marketing claims. That said, one should always be skeptical of the claims of any manufacturer or dealer, myself included, lol.

R&D at Harman is always ongoing. The benchmark at Revel is whether or not their speakers will beat the competition during their double blind speaker evaluations. Those tests are always ongoing, and the Revel models continue to best their competitors in the scientifically controlled listening tests (which I've described previously in this thread). They are also not a company to revise a line unless a compelling advance has been made in technology. So, while I'm sure there will be a Performa4 at some point, there is no imminent release even on the drawing boards.

You might want to determine your overall budget and number of surround channels, etc, as it may make more sense to re-allocate money in one direction or another.

John Schuermann
post #201 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked: 2595
I am pretty sure for revels to sound their best/get the most out of them...you will need external amplification.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #202 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...I think if I had a bigger room or basement I'd think about doing a projector. But I will say the blacks of an OLED or Panny plasma crush the majority of projectors that I've seen plus I don't have the hassle of changing bulbs. I'm guessing for the right amount of money and lighting control I could get there but money is also a factor.

I don't know if it will play out this way but I'm hoping over the next 1-2 years my setup will look like:

End of 2017:

Display: 65" LG OLED
GE Triton One/ Revel Performa 208
New Center Speaker: XXL or C208
Surrounds: Def Tech BP8040
Sub: Same
AVR: Denon/Marantz

I'd like to this 2 year upgrade plan for about $10,000 or less. I'm in sales so I'm pretty good at negotiating so hopefully I can come close to my budget. I'll look at those speaker lines you mentioned especially if they can fit into my budget of $5000ish for my R/L/C speaker.
This is all very helpful.

RE: projectors. The quality of a projector's blacks has much to do with how much light control you have in the room AND the screen material chosen. I've seen so many BAD projection setups over the years where dealers install white screens into rooms with white walls, or ambient light rejecting screens into bat caves. Matching projector to the room and screen is an art and a science.

No projector can match the blacks of an OLED plat panel, that is true. However, a JVC projector can get to the blacks of a Panasonic plasma. And only projection lets you do this (convert the top image into the bottom image, that is):

Honestly, not trying to talk you into a projection system Just adding to the discussion for anyone else who might be reading. @CruelInventions makes some good points, so I thought I might add some info to help put things in perspective (though obviously I disagree with him about the appropriateness of Revel speakers for "mostly movies" use).

John Schuermann
post #203 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
I am pretty sure for revels to sound their best/get the most out of them...you will need external amplification.
To hit high SPLs, yes, a good 150 watts or so is what you will want. As @zoysiaman mentioned, he is looking at bi-amping the speakers which may be a good idea.

John Schuermann
post #204 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To hit high SPLs, yes, a good 150 watts or so is what you will want. As @zoysiaman mentioned, he is looking at bi-amping the speakers which may be a good idea.
I can't believe you're advocating passive bi-amping. It does absolutely squat for performance, especially since both amp channels are going into the same passive crossover...
captainbrent likes this.
post #205 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
I can't believe you're advocating passive bi-amping. It does absolutely squat for performance, especially since both amp channels are going into the same passive crossover...
Generally, I would agree with you. This topic came up before in the Revel thread, with a poster claiming to hear improvement from bi-amping with his Revel Salons. Skeptical, I ran this by the engineers at Revel and got back this response:

I too, have heard such effects from passive bi-amping. If the speaker is competently designed, you would never want to insert active crossovers, except for a rare case in which the transfer function required to properly “cross-over” the speaker is published and properly implemented. Otherwise, passive bi-amping can offer sonic improvements. One reason is likely that the impedance outside the pass-band rises dramatically—thus resulting in the amp not being significantly utilized outside the intended frequency range. So for example, an amp dedicated to the high-frequency section of a speaker (whether that is a tweeter alone, or perhaps a tweeter and midrange), will not have significant current draw at low frequencies, resulting in lower distortion.

Note I said *may* be a good idea. That's not the same as advocating
torii likes this.

John Schuermann
post #206 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A quick follow-on about bi-amping. My response wasn't so much intended to imply that there is an "audible improvement" that comes from bi-amping, more that there would be more power available to the speaker. The concern was that an AVR might not supply enough power to the F208s.

@sigpig - would you disagree with the following statement from an article on Audioholics (http://www.audioholics.com/frequent-...-vs-biwiring)? I have italicized the relevant portion (in my view, anyway):

Because of this split, there are a couple practical advantages. Potential output ability is increased as there is little power wasted reproducing those aforementioned “out of band” frequencies. As with active bi-amping, the possibility of tweeter burnout due to amplifier overload is also reduced. However, in terms of basic audible differences, there’s not much to write home about, and what improvements do exist could typically be gained by simply utilizing a single more powerful amplifier with similar or better performance metrics than the two smaller amplifiers.

My own personal recommendation - or advocacy - would be for a dedicated amp for the LCRs. This is why I asked for a budget and suggested possibly re-allocating funds. Much of this depends on the budget and desires of the original poster.

John Schuermann
post #207 of 258 Old 07-10-2016, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree with what you italicized... lol
John Schuermann likes this.
post #208 of 258 Old 07-11-2016, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
Have you tried passive bi-amping? If you want to try it, you'll need amplifiers that have separate power supplies for each channel, or power supplies with at least separate windings for each channel in a big transformer (ATI amplifiers for example). Using separate amplifier channels from an AVR doesn't provide really high quality voltage sources. Of course you'll also need speakers that are designed for bi-amping. It's been suggested on the Revel thread that testing with one speaker, as Harmon does with it's speaker tests, is a good way to evaluate passive bi-amping. The higher quality of your system, including the room where it is located, the more likely you are to hear differences from implementing bi-amplification, or any other change which causes small but noticeable improvements. Sound produced by acoustic instruments, such as a piano, makes for good evaluations, if you listen to a lot of classical piano music.

Any evaluations of this sort in a home environment are sighted, non-scientific tests; the same as comparing two speakers, or two AVR's, or two Scotches, for that matter, so evaluation of the results is up to the listener.
post #209 of 258 Old 07-31-2016, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
John
Hello John
I'm looking at a posting (7/10/2016, 202 0f 208) you made regarding speaker comparisons. In this posting you showed an "expanded" image (probably 2.20:1 ratio) on a wide screen. I have a similar setup to your top image (JVX x500r) projecting onto a silverscreen 110" HDTV screen. I live with the black bands and have added some home-made black cropping barriers. I've already fully used my wall's horizontal area. There is NO additional horizontal dimension. Am I safe concluding that the expansion you've shown would require a still wider screen along with the "magic" of zooming and added panamorph lenses? I'm not unhappy with my setup, but if I'm misunderstanding what is needed to vertically fill my screen, I would be very pleased to be redirected.

[FYI: I've fallen in love with the REVEL Performa3 F206s and related center after many comparisons. I am trying to get a good deal from my local dealer for my living room setup, focusing on music and TV. I'm a long-time Infinity owner and Interlude 40s, IL36, Inf 12" Sub and PSB surrounds fill my theater room. They're not going anywhere for now]
[This should have been a PM but I'm prohibited until a get a few more posts. Sorry everyone.]

Family: LG65" EF9500, Yamaha RXA860, Parasound 5125, Revel F206, Revel Center, Fluance Surrounds and presence, Rythmic L12 Sub, DirecTv
Theater: JVC-DLAx500r, Pioneer SC71, Infinity Interlude IL40, IL36, PSB Surrounds, Oppo 103D, Aura Bass Transduces, Silver Ticket 120" Screen
post #210 of 258 Old 08-01-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritech View Post
John
Hello John
I'm looking at a posting (7/10/2016, 202 0f 208) you made regarding speaker comparisons. In this posting you showed an "expanded" image (probably 2.20:1 ratio) on a wide screen. I have a similar setup to your top image (JVX x500r) projecting onto a silverscreen 110" HDTV screen. I live with the black bands and have added some home-made black cropping barriers. I've already fully used my wall's horizontal area. There is NO additional horizontal dimension. Am I safe concluding that the expansion you've shown would require a still wider screen along with the "magic" of zooming and added panamorph lenses? I'm not unhappy with my setup, but if I'm misunderstanding what is needed to vertically fill my screen, I would be very pleased to be redirected.

[FYI: I've fallen in love with the REVEL Performa3 F206s and related center after many comparisons. I am trying to get a good deal from my local dealer for my living room setup, focusing on music and TV. I'm a long-time Infinity owner and Interlude 40s, IL36, Inf 12" Sub and PSB surrounds fill my theater room. They're not going anywhere for now]
[This should have been a PM but I'm prohibited until a get a few more posts. Sorry everyone.]
Hi ritech!

Yes, that is a 2.35:1 "Scope" screen and yes, you either need to use the zoom method or a lens to do what I illustrated above. If you are limited on the horizontal space, you are pretty much stuck with a 16:9 screen (unless you are willing to sacrifice some height for 16:9 material).

John Schuermann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page